Weaponsmithing! 04/22/2011 06:30 PM CDT
Hello everyone. I just wanted to repost important Weaponsmithing information in case anyone still wanted to go test the system. Please let me know here, in these forums, if you have any problems, questions or concerns about the new system. Thanks!

The first phase of Weaponsmithing is available on the Test Server. Right now we have about 164 types of weapons in the system. All should be craftable and have stats balanced to a new set of standards.

What does that mean?

Well, Combat 3.0 will relax the combo mechanisms and allow people to slice, draw, bash, jab, thrust - or whatever makes sense for you to be doing with your weapon. Damage handling will also be changing so combat lasts longer and where maneuvers have secondary effects.

The result of these changes is that well-rounded weapons are more effective. Previously, it was better to have a sword with 60 slice, 0 impact/puncture because all you did was slice all day long. In the new system, a sword with 25 slice, 25 puncture and 10 impact has the potential to do as good or better because of the varied combination of maneuvers you can perform.

In Forging 2.0 all weapons within a category are balanced stat-wise compared to each other. All medium edges have 150 total stats (made up number) for example, and those are divided up in different ways to make several flavors of medium edged weapons. Weapons between categories have stat totals comparable to their average round times.

Note the following:

- Many weapon templates were buffed. A few were reduced.
- Superdusting was removed. This was truly an unintended feature of the old system.
- Each stone of weight gives a weapon +1 to a stat point. We will not be releasing the formula for how this is applied, but it is similar to the old % increases.
- Weight trades off balance and power just like it currently does.
- Any weapon that can train multiple skills has a minor stat penalty.
- Few weapons now do 0 damage in a category to round them out and make them more appealing. (we'll be tweaking thrown weapon lodging in light of this)
- Light Edge and Light Blunt are going away in 3.0, so I combined them into the "small category" with newly balanced stat totals

Not Yet Implemented:

- Maker's Marks
- Ammo
- Racial Weapons
- Some of the Martial Weapons
- Items of Highest Difficulty
- Exotic weapons available via a prestige shop and loot drops
- Ability to convert storebought and Forging 1.0 weapons over to Forging 2.0

If anyone has the time to check it out, I am looking for feedback on the following:

1). Can you complete all of the items? (might be some bugs with assembling the hilt/haft versus grinding).

2). Are any items misspelled? (this includes proper placement of the metal adjective when the item is completed)

3). Any concerns over what group a weapon was placed in? (Small, Large, 2-handed)

4). Any concerns over the stat-distribution of an item? (I did fix some longtime inconsistencies here such as katars now being punch daggers, and I diversified some existing templates.

5). Any items you want to see that are not shown here?

6). How do the stats look compared to Forging 1.0?

I think that is it for now. This is a huge system, and I will be available as much as possible to answer questions. I encourage patience and some benefit of the doubt as this IS a preview, and bugs/oversights are likely to have occured.

The forge is currently up in Riverhaven, and the Mine is just down the path from Dirge. Both will be available during this first round of testing. As always, please try to limit the spread of this information to non-testers. I don't need Armageddon on the forums just yet :P

Thanks for the help with testing this!

- Kodius

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes