New room LOOK mechanics need testing 03/10/2010 02:30 PM CST
Greetings!

The mechanics for displaying rooms has changed. To make sure nothing has been broken I need lots of testing done. For the most part the mechanics should be invisible. That means, it should appear the same as it does in Prime. The only differences you should see are as follows

Old Format
[Room Title]
[Room Text] [You also see: ]
[Also Here:]
[Ovisous Paths]
[Optional other thing (i.e. Nearby in the water you see a fleet of ships)

New Format
[Room Title]
[Room Text]
[You also see]
[Also Here]
[Obvious Paths]
[Optional other thing]

The movement of the [You also see] should make it a bit easier to figure out where the room description ends and where the room items begin (mainly for really cluttered rooms)

Also, the SF Room Window should now duplicate the typical LOOK ouput for all rooms. So, whatever you see in the story window you should see in the room window. Not all rooms are going to be like this at first, but we will be notified of any rooms that you stumble across that are not like this. As of this email Homes and Docks have been updated with the new system.

What I would like feedback on is if anything appears out of the ordinary. Something missing from the room look, duplicate stuff, general wackiness, whatever you can find.

Also, the number of people and items in a room has been limited to 20. So the most you'll see via a LOOK will be 20 people and 20 items. In order to to see everything in the room you can do
LOOK ITEMS - This will display all the items in the room (in a fancy way to boot! -Try it in a cluttered hunting area-)
LOOK PEOPLE - This will display all the people in the room (that you can see)

One thing to note. GENIE users might have a problem with the room window. The underlying XML data has been changed. If you're a GENIE user and experience any problems please let the GENIE developers know.

I'll be monitoring the Test instance on and off throughout the day. If you're truly stuck you can REPORT and somebody will try to help you as soon as they can. If you spot a problem due to the system, could you please post it in the Test forum (or the email list).

Thanks!
GM Turmis

PS: Please don't break anything to hard :-)

"I've had good days and bad days and going half mad days."