Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 02:58 PM CST
So I mainly played survival tert guilds and have never been too concerned about hiding/stalking.

However, I now have a necro that I'm enjoying and aside from FA (because I hate bleeders), most of my training trouble stems from hiding.

Currently I'm sitting at 66 hiding and my current strategy is to cast obfuscation, hide 3 times per critter in melee and ambush (if I can get that off). I do this currently in Blood wolves, which is what my combats can handle currently, but it moves pretty slow.

I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 03:02 PM CST
Repost because the tone came out harsher than I meant:

>>I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

That's good because you are. :-)

Hide, stalk, attack. Lather, Rinse, Repeat, until sick.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 03:02 PM CST
>>if I can get that off

It sounds like your hiding might be too low if you're failing at ambushing.

You might also want to try ambushing while more than one wolf is in the room, ambushing then doing face next/hide/ambush, etc.

Worst case scenario is that you should try working hiding/stalking on something lower than blood wolves until it can catch up to a more workable level.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 03:18 PM CST
Thanks for the tips.

<<
You might also want to try ambushing while more than one wolf is in the room, ambushing then doing face next/hide/ambush, etc.>>

Another question. If I have say 2 wolves on me, and I hide 3 times and ambush while only facing one, will I receive diminishing returns on both wolves or just the one I'm facing? From what you're saying it sounds like that only impacts the creatures I'm currently facing. Usually I wait til I have 2 on me, hide and attack 3 times then kill both. Is that a mistake?
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 03:20 PM CST
As I understand it, diminishing returns affects everything you hide against, facing you or not. Ambushing will teach hiding without diminishing returns I BELIEVE. Which is why it's better to hide, stalk, attack than to just hide, unhide, hide, unhide.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 07:17 PM CST
Currently I'm in blood wolves training ranged weapons and with load, aim, advance, hide, poach, I've got hiding WAY beyond where you are. I'm not sure if ambushing with a melee weapon teaches as well as poaching, but I know it teaches a LOT better than simply hiding at melee.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/15/2010 07:19 PM CST
>>As I understand it, diminishing returns affects everything you hide against, facing you or not. Ambushing will teach hiding without diminishing returns I BELIEVE. Which is why it's better to hide, stalk, attack than to just hide, unhide, hide, unhide.

That's been my understanding too. In essence it boils down to "is it watching you?" and everything in a room is by default watching you, although some are paying more attention than others.

Ambushing, poaching, sniping all seem to "reset" the diminishing returns. That you learn much better by ambushing, poaching, or sniping is really all most of us ever really need to know.
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/16/2010 08:09 AM CST
there's no reason to limit yourself to 3 times per critter. you can continue to ambush as long as you need to, until said critter is dead. then you can do whatever you need to, to it.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/16/2010 05:48 PM CST
Hiding aside, if you're a necromancer complaining about the difficulty of training first aid, you have bigger issues.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/17/2010 07:55 PM CST
>I'm not sure if ambushing with a melee weapon teaches as well as poaching, but I know it teaches a LOT better than simply hiding at melee.

It doesn't teach anywhere close to as well as poaching.
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/19/2010 08:54 AM CST
>>Hide, stalk, attack. Lather, Rinse, Repeat, until sick.

^This is all you need for melee

For ranged it's similiar and teaches better

laod, aim, Hide, stalk, poach, Lather, Rince, Repeat, until sick.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Hiding: Am I missing something? 11/19/2010 05:28 PM CST
I don't learn any stalking while using ranged, so I don't bother with the extra roundtime so instead of load, aim, hide, stalk, poach, and repeat, I load, aim, advance, hide, advance (in case they stop you before you're hidden), poach, retreat once, and repeat.

This prevents the critters from wandering off with your arrows if you stay at pole weapon range.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh