When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:22 PM CST
So i've started up again after a VERY long hiatus.

And naturally, i've fallen to circle-chasing.

But what i'd like to know is... when can I relax a bit?

See, I want to be able to wander around, go to the Isles, Therengia, FarFromHere. I want to poke around on my own, discover things, make friends and enemies without having to worry about being butchered just for being in the wrong set of rooms, or being unable to defend myself against another PC.

I want to help defend the Crossing against invasions, and take part in Events against the Necromancer Lyras.

Last time I was around, 30 was a Big Deal, with 40 Pretty Well Advanced.

But now it... doesn't seem to be the case. Circling is certainly faster now. And i've heard a lot of people talk like they're around 100 or so.

I don't expect to be able to do everything. But being able to take part in things and explore on my own would be nice.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:24 PM CST
Slow down whenever you like. If you're comfortable with your level of hunting, or whatever, don't rush for the rest: Let everyone else have the rat race.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:40 PM CST
Some of the biggest PC names in the events first made their name at 20-30th circle and even after a year have not made it past 40's.

While yes, in the past, you had to had the top combats to play meaningful roles at the core of the conflicts, but starting with the Lyras events as long as you have a modest.. say 150~200 weapons? you can hit the GMPC's and it takes group effort to take any of them down.

Although, if you're planning to be in the heat of the combat, you do have to be wary of normal critter rules and retreat as needed.

I haven't been part of the frontlines in a long time so I dont know what other details you need to know aside from being sure to have PFE or the draugens can one-shot even the highest level of chars
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:43 PM CST
>See, I want to be able to wander around, go to the Isles, Therengia, FarFromHere. I want to poke around on my own, discover things, make friends and enemies without having to worry about being butchered just for being in the wrong set of rooms, or being unable to defend myself against another PC.

That's an assorted set of goals. you can wander the Isles, Therengia, etc. now. As far as invasions, a good many (not all mind you) of the critters scale around the 300+ skill range.

As far as PvP goes, someone will always be able to destroy you without much effort. This is true whether you're circle 5, 50, or 150. Just have fun.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:43 PM CST
Plenty of 150's these days.

It's up to you to decide when to take time to do other stuff.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:47 PM CST
May seem Long:

After the event today, I really felt like despite playing for months that yet again I won't be part of things.

Sure I know I can go and hit those terribly easy mutts, the harbinger's of the invasions (please).

I hate to sound terrible. However sincerely I believe the events are broken.

What I mean by this is:
If PCs are supposed to be the Heroes or in some cases anti-heroes (which further complicates things, so lets just stick with the former).

Then why did the Invasion today more or less fuzzle out. I am sorry, but I did not see any huge 'Heroes' going around dusting off the streets of the dozens of undead that were in every "room". Then why wasn't crossing still swarming with the undead. No we aren't Heroes, we suck (sorry for being blunt, I don't like it one bit) but it was because the enemies just stopped invading us. [Seems like a mini Outcast leaving Shard for no pertinent reasons].

And while yes my circle 30 (who doesn't circle chase, and probably will never), only died once, and didn't kill a single thing. There were plenty of these 'legendary' and 'grand master' types and no insult to them but I didn't suspend disbelief that they were really what sent those Demonic and Ungodly undead away from us.

I was glad that I have been reading the forums, because at a certain point, I noticed wow this really is just making me annoyed and fustrated. Got my character to a safe point, had him go to bed. And went about other things. I'll try to put some thoughts together for some suggestions. I tend not to like to be all complaints without trying to give somethings that would make me feel like this wasn't just annoying.

- GM Dartenian
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:47 PM CST
If your worried about PC's attacking you,check out the verb "profile" Random attacks for no reason happen,but its pretty rare.Being Mouthy certainly raises your chances no matter what you choose in profile,you can still give consent.Anyway,go where ya want,do what ya want.You dont havta chase circles madly.Most High level people have nothing to Hunt,except on one isolated far off island,away from all the events.Kinda sad really,its not a future I'm rushing too.

Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:49 PM CST
Well there is alot of people level 150, and i think the biggest part of the killing in these invasions is left to them, maybe purposefully to give them something interested to do. I'm 100+ with well rounded combats and i was able to get some light hits on the named guys, but thats about it. I died pretty much every time i tried to engage any of the big threats by a one shot kill attack or another rediculous thing. I think theres lots of room to help in the invasions healing, or even just moving dead bodies around. I think today in the Crossing there was a 2 to 1 ratio of dead to alive people. I have 4 characters on 2 accounts and 3 of them died at least once each. I have noticed there does seem to be a variety of people at every level range to give you something to do. I'm even able to find mid level people to pick fair fights with with my mid level moonie, so pretty much just do what is fun for you. Theres something for any level. Now if you want to get into serious PvP and such, theres really always going to be people that will always be untouchable, so your best bet is to be as good as you can to beat as many people as you can. Theres always gonna be a bigger fish.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:51 PM CST
Its not a race. Enjoy the game and I would say smell the roses, but instead eat the mushrooms on the stairs of Aesry. ;)

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 03:54 PM CST
I dont really think the invasion today really fizzled out. I only participated in the Crossing part of the invasion, and I was still killing stuff and dying when there was only a couple undead left in the entire town. And I know there was some really high level guys roaming around sweeping up the stranglers. I think all the clean up of the invasion was due to diligent people making it happen. I for example most of the invasion sneaking around to the rooms with only the mid level invaders and kill them, and occasionally shoot an arrow past a big guy.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 04:41 PM CST
basically it depends on the level of the "invasion". to name a few we've had plat-side, I was able to attack critters with characters under 40th in the "jelly-fish-riverhaven", "renegade-trader vs. Muspar'i, and goblin-zombie invasions. I totally got wiped out in the toad invasion. So... pick and choose according to your skills, if the things in question are too hard a level, then go hunt in your "normal" area, the big things won't be out of your reach forever, just continue trainin.

the world is broken
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 06:16 PM CST
I waited until I was 150th (in TF) before I really stopped worrying about training my main character obsessively. Once your mindset changes I think you can really enjoy the game a lot more. I know I have.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/11/2010 11:26 PM CST
You can help out in invasions no matter your circle. Dragging dead, calling out wounded in Triage, Scouting, etc. Just takes some fast running at times. Also joining up with a group is a big help. Don't fight alone.

Exploring is even easier now then it used to be. DEPART ITEMS is great. If you die somewhere odd you won't lose your gear. I think I explored the majority of the lands by the time I was 20th circle. Running through Taisgath Polo's to get my tattoo at 15th was a blast. :)

Getting involved with things is key. Join a Regiment, Order, or some other group. Listen to gweths, go and question people in game if you hear something interesting and find out what's going on with events ans such.

Far as PvP goes. Don't worry to much about that. Getting killed or jumped can further your RP. Depart with your items and move on. No big deal. Make it an RP event that drives your PC.

In short, get into RP and events first. Training and Circling comes during the slow times.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 12:52 AM CST
And hey, just remember, there's nothing AFK scripting can't fix.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 01:25 AM CST
In short, get into RP and events first. Training and Circling comes during the slow times.

Or,
RP comes when there's actually someone else around.

stat full
Brave Adventurers Questing:
Totendanz
Active Players: 1

Staff on duty:

the world is broken
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 06:45 AM CST
Few notes from my person experiences:

Travel: There are so many skills and opportunities to train things that you should not feel like you are anchored to any given location. If you would like to travel, talk to some people find out what the location is like, get a map, and go for it. I've had my PC's act as guides for all manner of adventures, it's really fun to go somewhere old with someone new. I've found it's almost like seeing the area for the first time again.

Training: Again, with all the wonderful destinations come new places to train and develop skills. I think its a crime to get stuck on one script in one place and never leave for fear of dropping behind the "curve" of current PC's. There will always be someone bigger and better trained, as long as you are having fun the occasional death or conflict wont really bother you too much. TBH, I've met a few who RP as "bodybuilders" and just work on their ranks/stats all the time. So, in the end its your call how you want to play.

Events/Invasions: Everyone has a place in both events and invasions. Sometimes that place can be hard to find so this is an important chance for newcomers to observe some of the "old hands" at play. Gweths are always buzzing about things people can be doing to help out the community efforts in these situations. Dragging, weapon finding, heck even harnessing mana for clerics, and so much more. Most Invasions are designed to prevent a single HLC from sweeping the board of opponents, this allows everyone to get a piece of the action and join in a group effort to cleanse the area. Likewise, most events are also designed as such to prevent a single PC from stealing the spotlight and GMPC's are known to cut speeches short to focus on PC's who have made themselves a center of attention. This can result in both good or bad consequences depending on your goals.

Conclusion: Find like minded people, and have fun.

Play the game!
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 09:53 AM CST
<<Travel: There are so many skills and opportunities to train things that you should not feel like you are anchored to any given location. If you would like to travel, talk to some people find out what the location is like, get a map, and go for it. I've had my PC's act as guides for all manner of adventures, it's really fun to go somewhere old with someone new. I've found it's almost like seeing the area for the first time again.

I'm coming to the conclusion that people tend to pidgeon-hole themselves to certain places in DR, whether it be because they feel safe in that area or for RP reasons. Regardless, there's a huge game out there to explore and I highly encourage people to do so.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.
-Inauri
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 10:51 AM CST
Before depart items, exploring in unknown areas could be downright terrifying if you had an inventory full of stuff you could not replace easily. If you died and no one was around to rescue you and you could not get back to your grave without dying again, welp, that's it for you.

With DEPART ITEMS I would agree that everyone should go get out and explore a little. Some of the most beautifully designed and interesting areas of the game are also the most out of the way or dangerous, such as Maelshyve's fortress under the swamp. I LOVE that place. I even went down there and screwed up all the puzzles on purpose once just to see the messaging. It's some creepy and well-written stuff.

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 11:33 AM CST
<<DEPART ITEMS
Totally agreed Reene

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.
-Inauri
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 11:37 AM CST
Agreed as well. Can even DEPART COIN or DEPART FULL if your shopping while exploring.

Play the game!
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 02:35 PM CST
I have always used travel and exploration as the cure whenever I have gotten bored with DR. There are tons of stuff out there to find.
Re: When am I (relatively) free? 03/12/2010 03:01 PM CST
Those mentor events such as education on the different flowers and trees in elanthia were great at showing you just how much depth goes into the game and how much you can miss