Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 12:30 AM CDT
So my character's been trying to learn skinning, and with about 200 in skinning has tried gryphons (with no arranges, moderate to good skins), red leucros (full arranges near perfect skins), and warcats (full arranges, good to perfect skins), none of which has moved skinning above 10/34 before the rest of my combats lock including TM lock (gryphons move it the best, but I can't arrange without failing half the time).

He's a MM so survival is secondary, he skins with a skinning knife, and his agility is 40. Not sure what else would be relevant, but I really need to find something I can learn on or my combats will surpass my skinning so far that backtraining will be a pain (plus I thought survivals learning was supposed to be roughly the same for combats now, like stealths and perception).
Any advice? Am I going about this wrong, or are other people struggling with this too?

Lohkrian exclaims, "Something is blowing up periodically and it seems to be your fault!"
Lohkrian looks at you, praising you and supporting you with his approval.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 12:46 AM CDT
I could be wrong, but 10/34 isn't a bad thing.

If you can't arrange gryphons and pull off a successful skin, keep skinning them without arranging until you can skin using arrange. AFAIK arrange adds to exp gain.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 01:41 AM CDT
Arrange grants exp, but exp is also tied to quality of the part you get when you skin. Arranging could lower your exp from the skinning part if you do it a ton worse.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 08:05 AM CDT
Dont think you're doing anything wrong. Being armor and weapons tert makes it easier to mind lock these skills so it's normal that they mind lock way before skinning.
If i remember correctly, gryphons used to require around 200 skinning to start teaching properly, dont know if that is still the case but you might still not be getting good quality skins. Do you have access to skinning CJs? That will certainly boost your skinning learning.

10/34 is pretty good if you keep it there for a while before leaving combat. If you just lock combats and leave, then yeah, skinning will end up falling behind.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 09:14 AM CDT
Add in 1 arrange and see the results. Add in another if need be.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 09:26 AM CDT
My skinning is 192 right now and I can eventually get it locked in red leucros (I also arrange once). It takes time and a constant stream of them coming in, but it can be done. And as others have said, 10/34 is nothing to sneeze at.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 09:36 AM CDT
At 220ish I still lock skinning in black leucros past the deadfall.

"Join me in the place of power, you risen dead. Join me where the waters weep and the trees have no hearts."
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 09:58 AM CDT
You really aren't doing poorly. Your skillset placement is going to make it difficult to keep a Secondary (Skinning) at the same rate as your Tertiary skills (Weapons/Armor).

Arrange everything fully and make sure you are skinning everything well - failing doesn't teach anymore.

But like most have said before 10/34 is still a full pulse. You aren't actually losing experience due to less-than-maximum pulses. If you are concerned about draining outside of combat, that is another issue, however.

GENT
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 11:35 AM CDT
Sorry I meant to add that TM, Harness, and Primary all lock before skinning gets past 10/34 (I think of those as combats). And while 10/34 is nothing to sneeze at, when I gain 10% in that and 40% in my magics while they drain outside of combat, eventually I wont be able to skin what I'm hunting.

I could stay in gryphons just for my skinning for longer than I would normally but that doesn't seem efficient. Could it be that exp from skinning is off since I cant seem to move it past 10/34 in a range of 3arrange+perfects to 0arranges+struggles?

Lohkrian exclaims, "Something is blowing up periodically and it seems to be your fault!"
Lohkrian looks at you, praising you and supporting you with his approval.
Re: Skinning... The hardest skill to learn in the world 10/29/2009 12:13 PM CDT
It's really hard for any guild (except barbarians) to keep all their combat oriented skills trainable in one single spot. It's possible to do it but they need to compromise. For example, as a ranger, to keep my TM at level with weapons i had to go back and train a whole new set of weapons. Artificially slowing everything down to match TM's learning rate.

You might want to either go back to an easier creature to skin, boost your skinning skill with a CJ or skin more gryphons. More arranges and better quality skins will give more exp.