Prev_page Previous 1
Stats 11/18/2008 01:38 PM CST
So, I finally managed to get all my stats up to 20 each. Now that I have done that, I think it is probobly time for me to start speacilizing but I have been evening them out for so long I don't know what I should work towards.

My character is a Warrior Mage, but generally pretends to be all guilds. She doesn't hunt anything she can't kill with her bare claws and she is an overachiever. Her current goal is to get to circle 30 which she is 3 target magic ranks away from being.

Any suggestions on stats would be great.
Thanks,
Kalaralor, player of
Re: Stats 11/18/2008 02:41 PM CST
I have a number of chars who are one guild- but have a lot of hobbies. So I can speak from that perspective.

As a prydaen, you have a bonus in agility and reflex. Take advantage of that.

Your strength is good for a long time, unless you collect a lot of stuff or are looking for minimum RT on some weapon or other, so don't sweat that for a bit. But don't neglect stamina: That's what will keep you alive long enough to beat your critter and maybe get to a healer.

A lot of people will tell you to train mentals- and I agree with that. I'll let someone else talk about the pros and cons, though.

Good luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Stats 11/18/2008 02:52 PM CST
>>My character is a Warrior Mage, but generally pretends to be all guilds. She doesn't hunt anything she can't kill with her bare claws and she is an overachiever. Her current goal is to get to circle 30 which she is 3 target magic ranks away from being.

I had a long post written up, then I realized I had listed all the stats.

My conclusion is that all stats are important for a WM. I will say especially Agility, Discipline, and Reflex, but I twitch to add others to that list. You'd also have to factor in your racial bonuses.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Stats 11/18/2008 04:25 PM CST
As a former 150th Warmage, I'd have to say Reflex, Stamina, Discipline, Agility, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, Strength in that order of importance for me, however, Discipline is and always has been my favorite stat.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Stats 11/19/2008 07:42 AM CST
Whenever I reach an impasse like this, there's nothing wrong with training the cheapest stat. If that seems to hodge podge, every combatant needs more Reflex and Discipline.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
5/14/0 - 5 days
Re: Stats 11/19/2008 07:45 AM CST
Or just bring all stats to a base of 30 which I do. I believe Ssra or Dart said something like around the likes that this is an ideal number to at least bring a stat too. Don't have time to find the post though. In my opinion, train reflex and mentals first.

Vindicator Adakin of Prime
Kastr/Killr of TF

"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Stats 11/19/2008 08:22 AM CST
If there's no obvious best choice, do as Hanryu suggests and play to your racial strength. If you're Human, play to your Guild focus. If for whatever reason your racial strength and your guild focus are mutually exclusive, train mentals first and work toward 30 in all stats.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Magus of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: Stats 11/21/2008 08:29 AM CST
And, if after all the advice you still do not know what to do, train Dis. You simply can not go wrong with training Dis IMO.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Stats 11/21/2008 10:00 AM CST
>>You simply can not go wrong with training Dis IMO.<<

QFT

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Stats 12/06/2008 06:29 AM CST
Here are my latest test results:

Name: Mr. Hide Race: Gnome Guild: Barbarian
You were born on the 18th day of the 8th month of Skullcleaver the Dwarven Axe in the year of the Iron Toad, 347 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

Your birthday is over 9 months away.

Strength : 12 Reflex : 14
Agility : 12 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 14 Stamina : 12
Favors: 8
Concentration: 66 Max: 66
TDPs: 4000
Encumbrance: None

STAT AVERAGE 11.875

After circling from 12 to 13th:

Strength : 12 Reflex : 14
Agility : 12 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 11 Wisdom : 10
Intelligence : 14 Stamina : 12
Concentration: 66 Max: 66
TDPs: 4113

I have increased each stat by one point and will report back with the findings of circling from 13th to 14th. Up until this point, I had been receiving 50 tdp's per circle, plus 1 tdp for every circle gained thus far, so when I circled from 11th to 12th, I gained 62 tdps.

After training all stats by one:

Strength : 13 Reflex : 15
Agility : 13 Charisma : 11
Discipline : 12 Wisdom : 11
Intelligence : 15 Stamina : 13
Concentration: 71 Max: 71
TDPs: 3832

What JLo said is pretty much spot on.
- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/06/2008 10:38 PM CST
Ok, raised stats by 8 total for a stat average of 12.875.

Circling from 13th to 14th:

Before circling:

TDPs: 3845

After Circling:

TDPs: 3959

Once again, gaining 100 tdp's + 1 tdp for every circle, so 114 total.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 10:03 AM CST
What happens if you raise your stats to an average over 15 and then circle to 15?
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 02:33 PM CST
>>What happens if you raise your stats to an average over 15 and then circle to 15?<<

Then instead of gaining 100 tdp's per circle, I would drop down to 50 tdp's for that circle. It may not seem like much, but this is why I've hoarded my tdp's so far and have kept stats relatively low. The difference between spending tdp's as you go and hoarding them to keep stat average lower than your circle amounts to about 250 total tdp's extra from hoarding.

In my case, since I had over 3000 tdp's before I joined the guild, if I spent all of those tdp's, I would be nearly 30th circle before I gained 100 tdp's per circle. Based on prior experience with this, I'm not going to test this, as the objective is to get my gnome barbarian as many tdp's/stats as I can.

Once I get strength/stamina to 20 each, I'll start spending tdp's on the cheapest stats only, so Reflex and Intel to start, then Agility, then Wisdom, Charisma, and Discipline, until the tdp cost per stat point in all stats is equal. I'm going to be very interested to see where my stats are when this happens.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 03:29 PM CST
<<Once I get strength/stamina to 20 each, I'll start spending tdp's on the cheapest stats only, so Reflex and Intel to start, then Agility, then Wisdom, Charisma, and Discipline, until the tdp cost per stat point in all stats is equal. I'm going to be very interested to see where my stats are when this happens.>>

If my TDP calculator is right, it will be:

STR 20 (90 for 21)
STA 22 or 23 (It costs 88 for 23, 92 for 24)
AGI 36
REF 45
CHA 30
DIS 30
WIS 30
INT 45
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 07:48 PM CST
With any luck, if I have accumulated enough tdp's to raise 8 stats every time I circle, I should hit those numbers around 32nd or 33rd circle. Currently I'm training 5 armors plus shield, and all 4 edges plus brawling. I might be able to do it. I'd be happy with those numbers before heading to caracals with about 225 ranks in combats.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 07:52 PM CST
Thanks for the info on the stat/tdp cost.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/07/2008 08:26 PM CST
>>In my case, since I had over 3000 tdp's before I joined the guild, if I spent all of those tdp's, I would be nearly 30th circle before I gained 100 tdp's per circle. Based on prior experience with this, I'm not going to test this, as the objective is to get my gnome barbarian as many tdp's/stats as I can.

Not true. Never had it happen higher than 22nd. After a point it seems it is automatic even if stats are higher than circle.

Brabs
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 01:22 PM CST
Ok... Debunking the myth that maintaining your stat average below your circle will result in 100 tdp's plus 1 tdp for every circle.

The stats listed below were what I had at 20th circle. A total of 158 stat points and a 19.75 average. Up until this point, I had received 100 tdp's per circle from 12th through 20th.

Strength : 20 Reflex : 22
Agility : 20 Charisma : 18
Discipline : 18 Wisdom : 18
Intelligence : 22 Stamina : 20
Favors: 14
Concentration: 107 Max: 107
TDPs: 2208

I circled to 21st and expected to receive 100 tdp's, plus 1 for each circle or a total of 121. I actually only received 71 tdp's when circling from 20th to 21st.

Strength : 20 Reflex : 22
Agility : 20 Charisma : 18
Discipline : 18 Wisdom : 18
Intelligence : 22 Stamina : 20
Favors: 14
Concentration: 107 Max: 107
TDPs: 2279

I have absolutely NO idea what the formula is at this point, or why my tdp's dropped from 100 per circle down to 50th. I didn't spend any tdp's at all this time, and will report back when circling to 22nd. Anyone out there have any ideas?

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 02:33 PM CST
>I have absolutely NO idea what the formula is at this point, or why my tdp's dropped from 100 per circle down to 50th. I didn't spend any tdp's at all this time, and will report back when circling to 22nd. Anyone out there have any ideas?

I already said, it's some kind of weighted stat average. You can overtrain stats you have bonuses in and not hit the 'penalty', and vice-versa. In other words, a halfling that wants to spend his tdps asap should train agility, not strength.
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 03:16 PM CST
So something like total TDPs spent vs. circle?
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 08:23 PM CST
Since 12th circle I have raised each stat by 1 point for each circle. With the exception of discipline, which was at 11, so I've only raised discipline by 7, but all other stats were raised by 8 between 12th and 20th circles. I have no idea what that says about "weighted average" for a gnome. Oh well, I've still got almost 2300 tdp's to spend over the next several circles. I didn't spend any tdp's at 21st, so hopefully I'll resume gaining 100 tdp's per circle when I get to 22nd.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 08:47 PM CST
The weighted average thing for a gnome means the most bang for your TDP buck will come from raising intelligence/reflex (-2 bonus) and agility (-1 bonus) after that. The worst thing you can do is to raise strength (+3 penalty) or stamina (+2 penalty).

That's assuming he's right about the weighted average, though.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Stats 12/12/2008 08:57 PM CST
Ya, I really just wanted strength and stamina to 20, and now I'm gonna raise the 8 cheapest stats with each circle until I run out of excess tdp's, so that means 4 points each in reflex and intel with circle 22.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/22/2008 08:21 PM CST
>The weighted average thing for a gnome means the most bang for your TDP buck will come from raising intelligence/reflex (-2 bonus) and agility (-1 bonus) after that. The worst thing you can do is to raise strength (+3 penalty) or stamina (+2 penalty).

Sort of, yes.
Re: Stats 12/22/2008 09:56 PM CST
It's worked out well since the point that I only gained 50 tdp's at 21st circle. I'm currently at 25th with the following stats on my gnome barbarian:

Strength : 20 Reflex : 33
Agility : 26 Charisma : 22
Discipline : 22 Wisdom : 22
Intelligence : 33 Stamina : 20
Favors: 21
Concentration: 135 Max: 135
TDPs: 910

I'll circle to 26th tomorrow and spend tdp's to raise stats to the following:

Strength : 20 Reflex : 35
Agility : 27 Charisma : 23
Discipline : 23 Wisdom : 23
Intelligence : 35 Stamina : 20
Favors: 21

I should have about 500 tdp's remaing after circling and spending tdp's.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Stats 12/22/2008 10:10 PM CST
>The weighted average thing for a gnome...

Biggest thing to keep in mind... Most guilds really don't traing strength and stamina all that high. 25-30 pts in each can theoretically last the entire carreer of the character. I know for my character I can't see a reason for higher than 25-30 pts.

Bonus to reflex and agility and intel. neutral wisdom, discipline and charisma.

In my oppinion the stats are weighted in the gnomes favor.

And you get to RP as a gnome. How cool is that?

Heavy plate wearing Gnome Warrior Mage,

~Tieriana~
Re: Stats 01/02/2009 07:29 AM CST
Ok so with RESPEC and some training, we can maybe test something, I just don't know how

Rakash
Strength : 5 Reflex : 6
Agility : 4 Charisma : 5
Discipline : 6 Wisdom : 4
Intelligence : 4 Stamina : 12

He's ready for 10th circle. What should I move his stats to before circling to test the latest "you'll get 100 +circle tdps if you do this" theory?

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Stats 01/02/2009 03:16 PM CST
The latest theory says there's a weighted average biased towards your racial-bonus stats (think along the lines of the new concentration formula). Avoid raising your racial-bonus stats and for good measure maybe avoid raising the race-neutral stats as well.

If it's right, you probably will start to see 50+ immediately (of course, you might need to go slower on account of your 1000-2000+ TDPs possibly pushing you back over the threshold).

And did we get any closer to figuring out if it's > versus <? I was seeing both generating 100+ starting with 10th circle, but that was before the weighted average discussion came back out to play. This might be another reason to raise slowly.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Stats 01/02/2009 11:26 PM CST
In my gnome experiment, I gained 100 tdp's from 12th to 20th circles and was raising each stat by 1 point after each circle gained.

I think what I should have done was to raise the CHEAPEST stats. Raising intel, reflex, and agility more often than strength and stamina may have resulted in a continuous 100 tdp's per circle, but I don't know for sure.

At 21st circle I didn't spend any tdp's at all, and then I started raising cheapest stats at 22nd until I ran out of tdp's at 28th circle.

So, from 12th to 28th circle, I only experienced one circle where I did NOT gain 100 tdp's per circle.

- GM Dartenian
Question about Stats at 50 08/26/2009 05:31 PM CDT
iv just gotten my Reflex and Agility to 50.
"SOTT" spell used to give me the + next to my stat(49+). Now at 50, not only do in not get the + , but for the first time ever <that i've noticed> i get a - next to my REFLEX stat (50-).

might some one enlighten me?
thanks kindly in advance
Re: Question about Stats at 50 08/26/2009 05:34 PM CDT
Don't train stats when under a bonus.
Log out and back in.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Question about Stats at 50 08/26/2009 05:38 PM CDT
i have indeed been enlightened indeed. thanks again !
Stats help please? 01/25/2010 07:37 PM CST
This is ridiculous. Lately I've been hunting nicely, no problem until I get all my skills trained up in the mid to mindlocked range...and THEN the critter (insert whatever critter you want it doesn't seem to matter), stuns me, the scroll stops and when it catches up, I'm dead.

So I'm looking to save myself from stuns. What stat helps protect against stuns?

By the way, once, this scenario occurred and the scroll stopped but this time, I didn't get stunned, and when the scroll caught up, I was stlil evading, parrying and such and alive.

So I'm hoping by trainning up, I won't get stunned and then die when the game freezes. (what causes these freezes?)

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 07:43 PM CST
Reflex will be your best defensive stat but what kind of armor are you using?
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 08:30 PM CST
What armor am I using? I'm a ranger so it's leather(I'm a tradionalist).

And I already train reflex and agility, both are 40. Strength 38 and Stamina 40.

Hope this helps; I really need the help. I fear 80th circle is now the new 20th. : (

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 09:22 PM CST
I don't think anything helps to NOT get stunned. Just don't get hit, so yeah reflex.

Someone mentioned armor. Try to take account where your getting hit that stuns you....usually hands\head? You could try putting better armor on just those areas. But really nothing combines with leather so...penalty.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 09:23 PM CST
Does anything help shorten stuns? Possibly discipline?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 09:54 PM CST
>>Does anything help shorten stuns? Possibly discipline?

I am fairly sure discipline does. Also, I seem to recall from some random thing I heard years ago that stun severity was a factor of the hit to hit point ratio, so strength and stamina may also have a tangential effect on stun duration in that your initial stun severity may not be as bad.

I could be quite wrong on this as I'm pretty much pulling info from memory of some discussion 6+ years ago, and any number of factors could have changed. Further, as you go up higher in level, things don't scale well (see: combat rewrite), so even if the STR and STAM thing is true, it's bound to get out of whack the higher up you go.

Sorry if I'm completely off base with this, but I think that's more or less the gist of it.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 09:54 PM CST
I certainly notice fewer/shorter stuns when I have a good Courage on me, but this is purely anecdotal.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: Stats help please? 01/25/2010 10:01 PM CST
Stamina and discipline reduce stuns. But there are other things to consider if it's happening consistently. If you still have my SN, send me a message and maybe I can help.
Prev_page Previous 1