ranger magic 10/21/2017 02:10 PM CDT
i currently have open 2 open slots for ranger magic spells. wanted to check out a targeted magic or debilitation spell. i have Eagle Cry currently. i have approx 70 Life magic and 33 targeted magic. I was thinking Haraweps Bond. what is recommended?
Re: ranger magic 10/21/2017 02:53 PM CDT

What do you have right now? At low levels, I'd highly recommend swarm. It's a 2 slot debilitation that rquires carrion's call (1 slot TM, not a fan), but it will make it easier for you to hide. Paralysis on a scroll is also pretty good since you can practice TM without killing your target. The immobalize is also a good way to train weapons.
Re: ranger magic 10/21/2017 05:05 PM CDT
HB is a core ranger spell in my experience. I use it whenever I'm training ranged with sniping to keep the critters from wandering off with my arrows in them.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Beseech Tree to Cross, which turns any nearby tree into a handy-dandy cross for the Ranger to carry around in any thread for maximum dramatic effect."~TEVESHSZAT
Re: ranger magic 10/22/2017 02:34 PM CDT

i have Compost, Ec Stw, Instinct, Ws, SOTT. Athlete, Hol, Em.
Re: ranger magic 10/22/2017 08:17 PM CDT

YMMV, but here's what I'd work for in your case. In order of personal preference and training style.

- Burden = Train debilitation via a scroll that you can drop when you get swarm.

- Elemental TM spell. Train some sorcery and TM all the same time. Lots to choose from. Can pick up carrion call if you don't go the HB route to swarm.

- SKS = Combined with EM which you already have, hiding is no longer a problem even when wearing the clown suit.

- Swarm = See above, but AOE debuff. I heavily recommend this for new rangers since the low-level stealth can be terrible. You have lots of armor hinderance. You have super perceptive mobs around those tiers, and lots of failed attempts. It eases up as you gain ranks and climb the critter ladder, but those first few are rough.

- Mana feats = More magic = more everything. You'll have terrible attunement as a tert, so these help make it not suck so hard.

- Oath = More melee damage + offhand. More damage = more exp = train more weapons = more TDPs = goto start. You'll pick up HoL with this which is good for skinning (money) and locks (money + speed).

- COTC = See above + brings you closer to CS.

- CS + Cyclic feats = More damage, see above + more or less immunity to knock-down and balance hits which lets you make bigger, more unbalancing swings.

- WoTP = Tactics. You're going to have a hard time keeping the tert skill up with your primaries, but this will help ease the difficulty curve.

- MON = Less time in the forest. This is good if you like to RP. Otherwise, drop it and just hunt 24/7.

- HB = I personally don't use this on my ranger, but sniping rangers love it.

Here's some I'd ignore outright.

- Awaken forest = too difficult to use.

- Forestwalker's Boon = who cares? You don't need an AOE calm on animals. You can already kill them or ignore them.

- Essense of Yew = Just get the AP scroll if you need this niche.

- Bear Strength = A cyclic you won't ever use. It may be useful in a nich situation, but you'll get more mileage out of a vigor scroll since few things debuff you status wise. Vigor is also cheaper if you aren't using both scroll slots, costing 1 slot.
Re: ranger magic 10/23/2017 07:50 AM CDT
One spell I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is MAF which I find MAF invaluable. Having that extra level of damage reduction really helps extend hunting trips and invasion survivability. I might get OATH first but probably not.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Beseech Tree to Cross, which turns any nearby tree into a handy-dandy cross for the Ranger to carry around in any thread for maximum dramatic effect."~TEVESHSZAT