Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 01:40 PM CST

Normally, how many hours of game time does it take to circle a character from 1 to 150 for say a relatively easy circling class like moon mage or barb?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 01:45 PM CST

'Normally' is going to vary a lot, especially when you consider offline exp absorb could influence things by make small segments more efficient in 'in game' time. I'd place a pretty safe estimate at 5000-10000 hours depending on how focused you stay.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 02:22 PM CST
Another huge variable to consider is training methods. For funzies I took a necromancer to 100ish in ~6 months, after which the character really slowed down trying to keep tert weapons up. Aiming for minimal reqs, with a thorough plan and prior knowledge I'd wager you could manage it in less than 5000 hours, but not overmuch.

Samsaren
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 02:52 PM CST

> Another huge variable to consider is training methods.

Another variable is the number of accounts you have running to support the account your leveling.

- No empath, add time to get healed.
- No combat teacher, add time to train more weapons, slower progression time due to lost TDPs and slower spawn.
- Defenses tert but offenses primary or secondary, add time to keep the tert defense up to level until 100th or so until the ranges broaden. You'll reach a point where you can't train your primary weapon without a teacher.
- Lore primary but defenses or weapons secondary? Add time to train your guild based lore skill to ungodly numbers and time out of combat to practice other lores.
- Annoying guild skills (such as thievery or trading) then add time to do that.

Best case scenario, 1000-2000 hours of repetitive keystrokes to reach the point where you can play with all of your abilities. 4000-10000 hours if you want to reach "graduate", and I'd guess that you'd need close to 100,000 hours of repetitive actions if you want to cap out a skill. I think it's unreasonable even if you allowed 24/7 scripting, at least if you wanted anyone new to join this game.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 04:58 PM CST
Pretty sure the TF guys do a race to 150 or something like that every so often. I'm sure one of them would have a pretty good idea of exactly how long it takes.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 05:35 PM CST
>>Pretty sure the TF guys do a race to 150 or something like that every so often. I'm sure one of them would have a pretty good idea of exactly how long it takes.

TF operates under an exp penalty though, which changes it a tad.

Samsaren
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/10/2017 06:06 PM CST
>> Pretty sure the TF guys do a race to 150 or something like that every so often. I'm sure one of them would have a pretty good idea of exactly how long it takes.

I started a Necro on November 1st, 2014, and it hit 150 on May 25th, 2015. So just shy of 7 months of constant playing, and just shy of 5,000 hours. It was my first necro ever, so I figured out a lot as I went. I am sure I could do it faster now.

I also trained a lot more than the minimum, here is where I was when I hit 150.

Requirements for Circle 200:

You have enough Primary Magic (Arcana) for Circle 150 and need 15 (735) ranks for Circle 151
You have enough Secondary Magic (Attunement) for Circle 151 and need 10 (730) ranks for Circle 152
You have enough 5th Survival (First Aid) for Circle 155 and need 9 (748) ranks for Circle 156
You have enough 6th Survival (Evasion) for Circle 155 and need 4 (698) ranks for Circle 156
You have enough Primary Survival (Outdoorsmanship) for Circle 156 and need 10 (875) ranks for Circle 157
You have enough Thanatology for Circle 156 and need 12 (825) ranks for Circle 157
You have enough Secondary Survival (Athletics) for Circle 156 and need 11 (875) ranks for Circle 157
You have enough Targeted Magic for Circle 157 and need 2 (654) ranks for Circle 158
You have enough Tertiary Magic (Augmentation) for Circle 161 and need 7 (726) ranks for Circle 162
You have enough 4th Magic (Warding) for Circle 161 and need 7 (726) ranks for Circle 162
You have enough Tertiary Survival (Skinning) for Circle 163 and need 3 (852) ranks for Circle 164
You have enough 4th Survival (Perception) for Circle 163 and need 6 (852) ranks for Circle 164
You have enough 7th Survival (Locksmithing) for Circle 167 and need 6 (700) ranks for Circle 168
You have enough 5th Magic (Utility) for Circle 167 and need 5 (724) ranks for Circle 168
You have enough Primary Armor (Light Armor) for Circle 178 and need 7 (572) ranks for Circle 179
You have enough Primary Lore (Appraisal) for Circle 187 and need 5 (724) ranks for Circle 188
You have enough Secondary Lore (Tactics) for Circle 188 and need 1 (692) ranks for Circle 189
You have enough Small Edged for Circle 199 and need 2 (540) ranks for Circle 200

TDPs Gained: 42225
Total Ranks: 26834
Don't you think it's time to give up the evil tea parties
EXP HELP for more information

Full skills then: http://pastie.org/private/vwrnwbon3ehov91bcqumq
Elanthiprofiles now: http://elanthiprofiles.com/character/p1B

Though Magic held me back by far the most, so training wide didn't slow that down. I kept Arcana near locked the whole time outside of deaths. I think another guild would have it done much faster.

Necros require 6 ranks of a magic skill 100-150, a secondary skill. Clerics also require 6 ranks of a magic skill, but it's primary for them. I believe Necros have the highest reqs of secondary skills, making them probably the slowest circler.

>> TF operates under an exp penalty though, which changes it a tad.

I don't believe that is accurate any longer.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 03:43 AM CST
>Necros require 6 ranks of a magic skill 100-150, a secondary skill. Clerics also require 6 ranks of a magic skill, but it's primary for them. I believe Necros have the highest reqs of secondary skills, making them probably the slowest circler.

A difficult claim to assess.

Using other guilds as an example, magic primes have by far the highest number of primary ranks required, but one magic cast moves several skills and magic has few learning restrictions regarding location and ability to train it in conjunction with other activities.

Paladin ranks requires seem a cakewalk at first glance, but a lot of their requirements are mutually exclusive. Lots of combat reqs, 3 soft lore reqs (Tactics doesn't count) means you need to pick up a crafting system, and enjoy playing those copper zills while you sit around and meet your hard scholarship req.

Anecdotally I have gotten eight guilds to 50+, I think circle rates are pretty analogous across those I have tried (all but Necros, Empaths, and Moon Mages). Moreso than rank requirements I have found ease of scripting to be the deciding factor, combat is a lot harder to script good than magic or crafting.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 07:33 AM CST

In my opinion, traders are the slowest circlers. They require combat skills at a secondary level, and they can't arbitrarily buff their weak points to help them move up the ladders more quickly. Gaps such as weapons tert slow them down even further. On top of this, lore primes have the single highest skill requirement in the game (over 900 ranks). For traders, that's a skill that they can't keep moving in combat. It's easier with work orders, but it still takes them out of combat for a half hour or more.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 01:36 PM CST
Mathematical assumptions:

1. To level a skill to X requires X*(X+399)/2 bits.
2. In Prime for subscribed characters drain anywhere from 3.5 bits/pulse to 7 bits/pulse. It's dependent on your skill level and wisdom. Given the growth of stats and skills over time on the way from circle 1 to 150, we can an average drain of 5 bits/pulse.
3. Primary skills pulse every 2 minutes or so, secondary skills pulse 125% slower, and tertiary skills pulse 175% slower.

I'm going to guess the fastest route to 150 is by moon mage because they only need primary and secondary skills to advance. A moon mage requires 850 highest magic skill (primary skill), 570 highest lore skill (secondary skill), and 570 highest survival skill (secondary skill) to reach circle 150. Using the mathematical assumptions above, this means:

*3,539 hours to reach the highest magic skill requirement
*2,301 hours to reach the highest lore requirement
*2,301 hours to reach the highest survival requirements

If it was possible to train all skills at the same time you could reach the cap in 3539 hours.

In reality, you aren't able to train all required skills at the same time. Not to mention this is a roleplaying game, so there's time interacting with others as well. Say you train at 50% efficiency, that's about 7000 hours of in-game time to reach 150. To put that in perspective, playing 40 hours a week, that's 175 weeks, or just over 3 1/3 years.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 03:19 PM CST

For those of us not so mathematically inclined, how many hours does it take to reach 1000, 1200, 1500, and 1750?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 03:42 PM CST
>>For those of us not so mathematically inclined, how many hours does it take to reach 1000, 1200, 1500, and 1750?

Here's some the numbers using the same assumptions as above for a subscribed player in Prime. Note the numbers are probably a bit too low on the low end and a bit too high on the high end. This is because as your skills get higher, you get more wisdom, and you learn more per pulse. As an aside, when you've reached rank 1184, you are halfway to 1750.

RankHours for Primary SkillSecondary SkillTertiary Skill
500 1,498 1,873 2,622
1000 4,663 5,829 8,160
1500 9,495 11,869 16,616
1750 12,486 15,608 21,851

Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 04:23 PM CST

Interesting summary. I'm curious if anyone in TF can confirm the high end. Would scripting 24/7 for 1.5 years give you 1750 in a single primary skill? Would 2.5 years of 24/7 locking a tert give you 1750?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 04:34 PM CST
I don't know enough about your other bases, but this isn't correct:

>> 3. Primary skills pulse every 2 minutes or so, secondary skills pulse 125% slower, and tertiary skills pulse 175% slower.

From Epedia:

Skills pulse in groups every 200 seconds, with each group being offset from the previous one by 20 seconds. These skill groupings are arranged by skillset in the order they appear in the experience list in game, with the exception of certain guild-only skills which are located with their historical group. The order and timing of the pulses is fixed, meaning the pulses happen at the exact same time for the same skills for every single player in the game.

All skills pulse at the same time. Primary skills just pulse more bits per pulse.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 04:43 PM CST
This is interesting. I'm sure you could do analysis on power to run a machine and KW/H costs and sub costs to see anywhere from $800-$2000+ just to get to 1750 in a single skill. Even 500 would cost you hundreds of dollars of scripting time.

In fact, if you looked at the $7.50 federal minimum wage, that puts the opportunity cost of a 1750 skills between $93,645 - $163,882 before overtime. Obviously, there's hand waving here, and i'm sure someone smarter than I will point out the gross inaccuracies, but it does put the whole scripting discussion into perspective. Should you require someone to treat this game like a full-time profession for several years before they can finally cap out a single niche?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/11/2017 05:07 PM CST
Again, my numbers are based on very general assumptions above. They aren't even close to exact, but within the same order of magnitude. Take them for what they are, a gross oversimplification of a very complex system.

As an example, it's 200 bits to reach rank 1 from rank 0. We all know know you get to rank 1 in minutes, but it would take over 2 hours if you averaged 5 bits/pulse. How fast your bits move per pulse varies wildly over the course of your climb and I'm boiling it down to a single number. The numbers I have above are probably more than +/- 30% margin of error.

In the same vein, the calculations above say the bare minimum time needed for a necromancer to meet the magic requirements of circle 150 is 3,365 hours. Compared with the necromancer who made it in just under 5000 hours, as long as that necromancer trained Arcana constantly it's off by about 33%.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/31/2017 07:03 AM CST

<<In fact, if you looked at the $7.50 federal minimum wage, that puts the opportunity cost of a 1750 skills between $93,645 - $163,882 before overtime. Obviously, there's hand waving here, and i'm sure someone smarter than I will point out the gross inaccuracies, but it does put the whole scripting discussion into perspective. Should you require someone to treat this game like a full-time profession for several years before they can finally cap out a single niche? >>

You are looking at it that way, you don't have to look at it that way. You are setting a goal of capping a skill and making it seem like that's the only important thing to do. If the game feels like a job because you think it's too hard to cap, this is probably not a great game for you. Finally if capping skills is this important you could just buy s character and have capped skills, or really close. Usuing your math you would be making an investment tim a character for let's say $1000, wow you just bought something that should cost 162k!

I'm not sure what your general point is here. The game on a basic sub costs about $180 a year. Math is going to look bad if all you want is to get to endgame. I determine value for my sub and playing dragonrealms in much different terms.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/31/2017 08:09 AM CST

I think we should all stop playing the game of 'my way of enjoying dragonrealms is the right way'. As a whole, could all recognize that people with different views play this game.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 01/31/2017 12:01 PM CST
>>If the game feels like a job because you think it's too hard to cap, this is probably not a great game for you.

FWIW, my understanding is that our current cohort of GMs [generally?] agree that the game's experience model feels a bit like a job, so "this game might not be for you" might not be the best way to view it. I think there's a difference between "why isn't this game more like a first person shooter roguelike" and "the system works great overall, but training is a bit of a slog, can the experience rates be reassessed".

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/08/2017 09:41 PM CST

Re-adjusting the experience model would ruin the game now. Its been around far too long to change anything to a level that it would be effective. The moment they attempt to do such the veterans will have wasted tens of thousands of hours grinding their skill levels scripting or not.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/08/2017 10:29 PM CST
I'm not sure the model is so broken. Unfortunately it's on the player to make the grind fun. There are a lot of ways to do this, when I make alts I make new friends.

Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 04:47 AM CST
>>The moment they attempt to do such the veterans will have wasted tens of thousands of hours grinding their skill levels scripting or not.

That's not true. A HLC felt that time was worth spending doing grinding stuff. That grinding provided a benefit or use, at least in the minds of those doing it. It's like buying a car for 10k. Then 5 years later you go car shopping. Turns out that cars, much better then the one you have now, only cost 5k. You wouldn't have wasted the money on the older car just because the newer better car is cheaper. It provided a use or benefit you felt was worth spending 10k on.

>>Unfortunately it's on the player to make the grind fun.

While mostly true today, it's a sign of very poor game design. A game does not need to be "fun", but it should be engaging. While DR does provide a platform for fun and engagement it very rarely generates either naturally. Attempts to add that engagement have so far fallen very flat. In other words RP with players/GMNPCs = neato. Combat = snore.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 03:02 PM CST

As a curious point - how would people feel if, say, the caps were raised to 10,000, all critter ranges multiplied by 5, and the experience model compressed such that from 0, you could reach 10,000 ranks in a years worth of training?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 03:10 PM CST
>>As a curious point - how would people feel if, say, the caps were raised to 10,000, all critter ranges multiplied by 5, and the experience model compressed such that from 0, you could reach 10,000 ranks in a years worth of training?

Would love it. Might could actually convince some new people to give it a go if maxing out didn't take the current half to full decade of investment.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 03:12 PM CST

I'd be behind this, but I don't understand why the push to 10,000? Why not just keep the current 1750 and compress the experience model?
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 03:37 PM CST

I would like to see a second whole world started up with no character transfers to it. New game everyone starting at zero, that may draw in a new player base.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 05:25 PM CST
>That's not true. A HLC felt that time was worth spending doing grinding stuff.

No, the ends justifing the means is not a particularly compelling argument. Just because X is fun after 30,000 hours, doesn't mean those 30,000 hours are in and of themselves fun or worth engaging in.

It just means someone types .afk and runs it for 2 weeks. Hi Larry.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/09/2017 06:20 PM CST

> I would like to see a second whole world started up with no character transfers to it. New game everyone starting at zero, that may draw in a new player base.

I would too, but it's impossible. If you removed character transfers then you'd just start to see more account takeovers.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/10/2017 07:23 PM CST

Keep all the worlds as they are, just start a new one. I would go in a heartbeat.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/11/2017 12:02 AM CST
Dragonrealms is a very small population game with niche appeal as a text game, splintering the player base further with more instances doesn't seem the best to me.

Evening the playing field (i.e. everyone starts from 0) might be fun but a year from now we've got the same problem all over again.
Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/11/2017 07:36 AM CST
You could Basically do this in the fallen

Re: Hours of game time to cap (150) 02/11/2017 08:16 PM CST

>I'd be behind this, but I don't understand why the push to 10,000? Why not just keep the current 1750 and compress the experience model?

Exact same idea, just a different angle. Curious to see what people thought.