Classrooms 10/06/2012 03:21 AM CDT

It would be nice if there were classrooms where someone teaching and their students would get a bonus to learning and schollership being in a learning environment. to keep it interesting, throw in a working chalkboard, bottomless inkwells, and straws with little paper wads.
Re: Classrooms 10/06/2012 05:52 AM CDT
>>It would be nice if there were classrooms where someone teaching and their students would get a bonus to learning and schollership being in a learning environment.

This is actually implemented, although we haven't been told precisely where. I'd try out Asemath Academy or Gaeleranendae College.

Also, holy cow, I spelled Gaeleranendae right on the first try.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Classrooms 10/06/2012 08:57 AM CDT
Perhaps ASSESS TEACH could show us if one of these bonuses is present. There might be a stronger chance of people using those areas if they could actually see that they were getting a bonus for it. And if they don't already, guildhalls should have this bonus.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Classrooms 10/06/2012 09:19 AM CDT
>>Classrooms

Teaching+ rooms are great, I thought I found one in Crossings once but I forget where it was. I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in Asmath Academy and it wasn't an actual "classroom" area.

>>ASSESS TEACH

Ya know, I could see this as a nice little niche ability after reaching X amount of ranks in Teaching skill.

>>Guilds

I guess I could see any sort of guild library or study room having this apply to it, but I would be leary of spreading it around too much. Don't want to seem promotional to having people loaf around the guild all day.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Classrooms 10/06/2012 10:21 AM CDT
I'd also like a better feel for this, think it would be used more. Might add to people actually teaching classes in places that make more sense.

Not sure I agree with guildhalls, unless for guild only skills. Not sure if that should be either.

Re: Classrooms 10/06/2012 02:01 PM CDT
Should probably be released as to where the rooms are.

Because if no one even knows they exist, let alone which ones, sort of a useless system.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Classrooms 10/08/2012 12:28 AM CDT
I dug up a few old posts from Dartenian, when Teaching was being updated a few years back (mid-2008).

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Teaching%20Skill/view/117
In addition, there will be areas in the game more conductive to certain classes. This is actually not a new feature, just one that was never well-supported or even well-known (if at all). Note that this is just a bonus; the system should work perfectly fine without these areas. It just gives added benefit to those who want to use them. Music classes, for example, may benefit from being held in areas where entertainers traditionally perform or practice. Non-combat classes, lore skills in particular, may benefit from being held in schools, academies, or universities.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Teaching%20Skill/view/128
> That's a really neat feature too, I just wish we'd known about it all these years!
If folks had any clue how much of a bonus some of these areas provided, they'd probably cry. Due to a bug they were getting multiplied by a factor of ten. Heh. Before you run out trying to find 'em, it's too late. Already fixed that bug. Sorry!

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Teaching%20Skill/view/145
> would one of 'em happen to have been in the aesry library? I Knew a certain bard that ALWAYS used to teach there...
Nope. The system was last updated in '96, to give you some idea of how old it was. All but one were in Zoluren, the lone exception in or near Haven. Once Teaching 2.0 is live, I'll spill the beans. I have to admit these were as much a surprise to me as to you guys.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Teaching%20Skill/view/222
Heyo!
Because I promised, and because it's too late to take advantage of these old glitches...
* There was a room in Arthe Dale where any class on missile weapons would a bonus of about 5 times the normal experience. In that same room, melee weapon classes received a measely 4 times the normal experience.
* Arthe Dale also featured a location where trading and appraisal classes saw their experience rate tripled.
* Here's a freebie. The Asemath Academy has always had and still has a bonus to teaching. Some subjects benefit more than others.
* There was a mystic location near Riverhaven that bonused magic classes.
There are now more areas in the game that have teaching bonuses, although none of them are remotely as substantial as the old buggy (and thankfully unknown) location bonuses.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Classrooms 10/08/2012 02:19 AM CDT
Thanks for looking that up, still don't have much a clue as to how to figure it out, anyone have a way to try and pick up data on this?

Re: Classrooms 10/08/2012 03:24 AM CDT
I remember that post, and I've used the academy for my bard to teach in <its indoors, so i don't get my musical instruments damaged. And, i've occasionally run around in various rooms for Power perception. But, I tend to go where the elemental magic is best, rather than specifically trying one room or another for teaching benefits. And my other lore primaries don't hang there because my trader is usually out on the road, and my empath goes to where the patients are. People that come to the academy are usually just people training stats.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Classrooms 10/11/2012 03:59 AM CDT

Along these same lines of thought we could, and might already, have arenas, bars, and theaters giving boosts to learning music and voice. Training yards and fortresses for weapon and armor class bonuses. In front of festivals and events should teach hiding and stealing better. High mountain and specific desert locations could boost astro magic.. etc. etc.

I know Elanthia already has these type things applyed to a degree. Furthering such a system would only benefit everyone. I know the plates are full right now but truely a back-burner idea I'd hope.