TKS and the Justice System 09/27/2016 09:17 PM CDT
First, I posted this in the Moon Mage folder, but this might be a better place. Mods, I leave this up to your discretion.

Second, during a goblin invasion a few days ago just outside the NE Gate, Saaqib was casting TKS and was reported to the authorities by the Justice mechanics.

Since it is possible to target TKS to only select mobs, is it possible to make it so TKS is not unlawful to cast in city limits?

Third, how long does one stay on the wanted board? If one stays out of town / province for a period of time, does one eventually no longer register as wanted?

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/27/2016 11:12 PM CDT
The GMs have weighed in on this in the past, and if I recall correctly, the answer is that "automated" invasions aren't intended to allow spells like TKS to avoid causing charges. My guess is they don't want people to trigger these invasions (e.g. by talking to Hengwild) on purpose in order to be guaranteed a no-justice period.

GM-run invasions have and should continue to suspend justice mechanics, at least for these spells.

>>Third, how long does one stay on the wanted board? If one stays out of town / province for a period of time, does one eventually no longer register as wanted?

I don't know the answer to this one, but whenever I get hit with a charge for casting a spell, I generally will immediately go turn myself in. Find a guard and SURRENDER GUARD. I believe they are more lenient if you do this.

- Navesi
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 05:27 AM CDT
"if I recall correctly, the answer is that "automated" invasions aren't intended to allow spells like TKS to avoid causing charges."

Thank you. I appreciate the info.

But I am specifically asking about the fact that TKS can be cast to only target threats in the area (as opposed to everyone). It would seem to me that casting it that way would not be a threat to public safety.

__
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 05:42 AM CDT

> My guess is they don't want people to trigger these invasions (e.g. by talking to Hengwild) on purpose in order to be guaranteed a no-justice period.

Slight tangent, but what is this now?
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 05:46 AM CDT

> But I am specifically asking about the fact that TKS can be cast to only target threats in the area (as opposed to everyone). It would seem to me that casting it that way would not be a threat to public safety.

I would love this for all AOE/Cyclic spells when you use "cast creatures", but I'd guess (and would love to be wrong) that there are two reasons for this. First, it adds a layer of immersion. A commoner wouldn't be able to tell the nuances of that crazy mage that starts a rain of fire. They don't understand that they're actually safe. Secondly, it is one of the few things that makes cyclics something other than fire and forget. You have to pay attention to when and where you use them or you'll get your hand slapped by the game.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:29 AM CDT
>> My guess is they don't want people to trigger these invasions (e.g. by talking to Hengwild) on purpose in order to be guaranteed a no-justice period.

> Slight tangent, but what is this now?

This piqued my curiosity as well. Turns out there's an NPC guard (in Crossing?) that, if you ask him about invasions will tell you whether or not one is pending. And, if it is, then asking will trigger the invasion.

__
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:32 AM CDT

Nifty.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 11:34 AM CDT
Currently there are two forest wardens (those who can call in an invasion when asked) one in crossing and one in Haven, both will trigger an invasion after enough people have asked them. the invasions they trigger will only (not positive) occur outside one of the city gates. The forest warden will alert you to where (thats why you hear gweth folks say things like 'Hengwild says orcs are coming to the north gate')

Now as for your issue, one way to solve this pretty easily is to just walk a few more paces away from the particular gate, usually 4-5 paces will get you out of the justice zone where you can cast away. You can check prior to casting by typing <JUSTICE> in each room to determine where the city justice ends.

Hope that helps,

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 11:41 AM CDT
>>both will trigger an invasion after enough people have asked them.

Just to clarify, the invasions are on a 24 hour timer, and it only takes a single person to ask and trigger an invasion as long as it has been 24 hours since the last one.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:15 PM CDT
>>Now as for your issue, one way to solve this pretty easily is to just walk a few more paces away from the particular gate, usually 4-5 paces will get you out of the justice zone where you can cast away. You can check prior to casting by typing <JUSTICE> in each room to determine where the city justice ends.

Thanks for the info about the warden. I wonder what it would mean if Sa'a'qib started asking about invasions... would he be seen as a co-conspirator for Goblins invading Crossing?

As for your recommendation - that would indeed work, but I come back to my point that this AoE spell can be cast in such a way that it ONLY targets creatures considered threats to the caster. Since that is the case, if it is cast this way, then it shouldn't trigger the justice system.

To put an even finer, meta-game point to this: None of our AoE spells will hurt the citizens of Elanthia. It might hurt named NPCs or other players, but mechanics-wise, they do not hurt the background citizens, but we generally accept from an RP perspective that they do. However, TKS can be cast to ONLY and SPECIFICALLY target threats to the caster. So not only does the spell not really hurt innocents from a meta-game perspective, it doesn't hurt anyone from an in-game, RP perspective either.

And to be clear, I am not upset at Sa'a'qib being wanted. He's upset but I am not. However if the mechanics of the spell specifically do not endanger innocent people, then it shouldn't be subject to the Justice systems as a threat to public safety.
__
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:22 PM CDT
Kajeet is innocent of these crimes!

I mean Saa'qid.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:39 PM CDT
From time to time when this is brought up, we're reminded that "mad mage" charges are leveled by a populace and a court system that isn't magically educated. Your magician's defense that "the targeted matrix was specifically excluding any bystanders!" isn't going to sound terribly convincing to a judge who isn't a wizard with, at best, some theoretical knowledge of how a targeting matrix even works -- but you can always try to Plead Innocent!

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:41 PM CDT
You don't have the telekinetic control you think you do. You're definitely endangering the public. The town guards and judiciaries aren't trained mages. They aren't going to appreciate the finer points of targeting matrices. They (the innocent bystanders) just see you recklessly flinging around a whirling storm of weaponized junk in a wide swath at deadly speeds.

The justice command is your friend.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 06:52 PM CDT
> However, TKS can be cast to ONLY and SPECIFICALLY target threats to the caster.

You keep phrasing it this way. In case you didn't realize, every non-necro AoE spell has this functionality.
Re: TKS and the Justice System 09/28/2016 10:45 PM CDT
"You keep phrasing it this way. In case you didn't realize, every non-necro AoE spell has this functionality."

Ah, I didn't realize this.
__