I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/21/2014 05:33 PM CDT
... but, are there any minor issues you would like to see addressed with Justice?

And by minor issues I'm mostly talking bug level stuff or very small QoL issues. I'm already in the core for some other reasons so it's a good time for me to make minor tweaks. I do not have the bandwidth/knowledge/desire at this time to make major revisions or write new features.

Examples would be typos, cities where you just can't find guards, bugs, weird behavior and so forth. Cities where the guards seem particularly vigilant or lackluster.

One specific thing I'm going to look into is getting some stationary guards posted at all the jails since I just discovered the Crossing one (And I suspect most of them) do not have any.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/21/2014 09:43 PM CDT
I would love for the guard houses in each city have a permanently stationed guard you could go to accuse to.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/21/2014 11:01 PM CDT
How about shops where you cannot steal?

Nikpack
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/21/2014 11:31 PM CDT
>I would love for the guard houses in each city have a permanently stationed guard you could go to accuse to.

Or surrender to, as the case may be...
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 01:04 AM CDT
I don't know if this ever got addressed, but I recall there were some issues with people being arrested while dead and being unable to plead.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 03:45 AM CDT
<I would love for the guard houses in each city have a permanently stationed guard you could go to accuse to.

Seems important!

Is there any way to make the pillories a little more prevalent? Public humiliation is far more entertaining than fines! I'd like to suggest about a million and one different methods of public administrative punishment - but since this is about small things then just maybe broadening the scope/frequency of the already existing pillory punishment? Moving pillories to places people are known to gather could help spur a lot of fun interaction between players as well - and make being stuck in them far less boring.

Also, more things to throw at people who are in the stocks!
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 03:47 AM CDT
Or maybe some sort of town crier that announces to the whole city when someone is locked up.

<You hear derisive laughter nearby when an official sounding voice announces that <character> is to be placed in the stocks for <crimes>!

Or some such.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 04:07 AM CDT
>>How about shops where you cannot steal?

That's a shop by shop issue and is something way outside the scope of what I'm working on. If there's specific shops you have in mind post in those area folders and the area owner can look into why they're that way and if it can change.

>>I would love for the guard houses in each city have a permanently stationed guard you could go to accuse to.

Frankly, I thought this was already a thing. As stated, it's on my list.

>>I don't know if this ever got addressed, but I recall there were some issues with people being arrested while dead and being unable to plead.

I fixed the most egregious example of this, but I can't promise it's not still possible to be arrested as a corpse.

... of course the whole put a corpse on trial and laugh while it can't defend itself to the sham trial thing is hilarious to me, but it's not really fair.

>>Is there any way to make the pillories a little more prevalent?

Yes and no.

There's a fairly elaborate system in place that would let me drop stocks into basically any city, but that involves world building, custom messaging (It doesn't have to involve custom messaging, but it would) and some finicky set up.

The bigger problem is that we don't really want stocks in a lot of places. They're not used much and we generally rather you not skip out on the fine by sitting in some stocks while you go make a sammich. The end result is we mostly want them in Crossing to help out new players who may not be able to afford the fines and they're in P5 from when the new system was set up.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 04:32 AM CDT
Why not a fine and the stocks? ::evil grin::

I need to practice my tomato throwing!
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 06:16 AM CDT
> ... of course the whole put a corpse on trial and laugh while it can't defend itself to the sham trial thing is hilarious to me, but it's not really fair.

You know it's historically precedented, right? Google the Cadaver Synod.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:05 AM CDT
There seems to be a bug with guards on the check to capture a wanted PC. Before 3.0 the PC had a chance to escape capture when they lost the identification check (when they are recognized). Now you either pass the ID check and stay safe or fail and get captured with no chance of escape. This used the Escaping skill pre-3.0 so this might be the issue.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:34 AM CDT
The messaging just isn't as overt as you might recall, but it's working. Generally any time their gaze slides past you (The message varies with the guard) or some such, you've eluded them.

-Raesh

Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:38 AM CDT
>>Why not a fine and the stocks? ::evil grin::

Because anything that requires someone to not move at all for 10 minutes means they just don't pay attention to the game for 10 minutes. It's a bit silly.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:38 AM CDT
I did just fix a minor bug where it was still trying to the wrong skills in a few cases (the contests themselves did not change).

It will now teach a little thievery whenever a guard overlooks you (except for Paladins because I'm not that mean).

Further you'll properly get stealth exp if you're invisible and avoiding guards.

-Raesh

Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:42 AM CDT

I think that clan justice does not work (at least in regards to stealing) in several places as documented on Elanthipedia at https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Justice I am not sure if this is within the scope of your fixes.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 10:57 AM CDT
Yeah, I haven't really looked into the state of Dirge and Clan justice. I'm not surprised they're not quite where we might want them but I'm not sure I'm ready to head down that crusade yet.

-Raesh

Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 11:08 AM CDT
<I'm not sure I'm ready to head down that crusade yet.

Not even for great justice? http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/114/805/Baby-Justice.jpg
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 11:09 AM CDT
I hate babies.

-Raesh

Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 01:15 PM CDT
"The bigger problem is that we don't really want stocks in a lot of places. They're not used much and we generally rather you not skip out on the fine by sitting in some stocks while you go make a sammich."

In this case, any chance you could put a (circle-based?) ceiling on being sent to the stocks? Like once you're 20+ or 30+ you just always get fined?
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 01:28 PM CDT
>In this case, any chance you could put a (circle-based?) ceiling on being sent to the stocks? Like once you're 20+ or 30+ you just always get fined?

It seems to be based on a mixture of skill, circle, and fine level. I think once I broke 20th I never really got the stocks, but by that point my fines would typically be 1+ gold. On the flip side, at level 1-10, I got the stocks almost every time.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 01:51 PM CDT
>>In this case, any chance you could put a (circle-based?) ceiling on being sent to the stocks? Like once you're 20+ or 30+ you just always get fined?

As mentioned, they pretty much already have this.

With that in mind, how much RoI would GMs get making stocks respond properly in every possible location if a minor population of the game would end up using it?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 01:59 PM CDT
I'm not sure if Zeyurn ever fixed it in Prime but at one point if you pleaded innocent in Mer'kresh and succeed you got stuck in the courtroom with no working exit. I haven't tested that in a long time since I didn't want to waste GM time teleporting me out but I think I tried it in Test in the past year and had to test jump (I think that was the teleport command) back out.

~Engineer Ascot Ryuzzaki, Bonecutter of M'riss
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/22/2014 02:39 PM CDT
>>Stuck in a courtroom

Easter egg, clearly.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: I don't know why I'm asking this... 07/23/2014 06:37 AM CDT
>>at one point if you pleaded innocent in Mer'kresh

Not sure how long ago that was, but this isn't the case. There's an ornate door there.

=GM Jhustis=
Logistics Minion
Muspar'i Guru
S'Kra Mur Champion
Orders Lead
P4 Guru

=="The only place you'll find success before work is in the dictionary."==