Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 09:06 PM CDT
Okay, I don't know it this is doable, but I noticed that people who get caught in crossing for stealing get sent to the stocks instead of a fine. The thing is, usually no one is even there in the room and my character just sits there til he is released. I think it would be more fun, and have more potential for rp, if when a player is put in the stocks a general announcement is made (like they do for traders who open their shops in the plaza). That way people can come and laugh/make fun of/insult/throw tomatoes at/yada yada at the prisioner. And the sentence should last for at least 4 minutes to give players time to do this.

>get stone
You get a nemmiro stone from inside your inspector's satchel.
>focus my stone
You focus your magical senses on a nemmiro stone.
The stone seems to be able to convert Moon mana to Evil mana.
Roundtime: 15 Sec.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 09:45 PM CDT
I would not be in favor of this, because it would essentially "out" several thieves.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 09:47 PM CDT
>>I would not be in favor of this, because it would essentially "out" several thieves.

If you get caught, and you choose the stocks, you deserve it? Can always just pay the fine.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 09:52 PM CDT
>If you get caught, and you choose the stocks, you deserve it? Can always just pay the fine.

I've never been given a "choice" of what to do. I didn't know you got one. The only deciding factors I've noticed are: severity of crime, surrender or caught, admit guilt or plead innocent. I've never seen them ask, "So how would you like to serve out your punishment?"

Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 10:02 PM CDT
>>I've never been given a "choice" of what to do. I didn't know you got one.

You can pick between stocks and fine early on, but it stops being available past a certain point.

I doubt stocks will ever become an option for higher circle/skill people, mainly because the fines for stealing are a buffer to how much money people can make from stealing.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 10:41 PM CDT
>You can pick between stocks and fine early on, but it stops being available past a certain point.

It must be a circle or general skill based thing then, because my thieves up to about 30th still get stocks. No choice. You can plead innocent or guilty, but if stocks are in, stocks are done.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/14/2012 11:57 PM CDT
>>I doubt stocks will ever become an option for higher circle/skill people, mainly because the fines for stealing are a buffer to how much money people can make from stealing.

Actually, thats not necissarily true. My character is circle 90 but doesn't have alot in stealing. So when he gets caught stealing from one of the stores, he is given stocks as punishment (he is not given a choice). And since one of the new clerical rituals involves theft, there might be a rise in higher level but lower skilled people getting caught. And I don't think it would out someone as a thief because anyone who gets caught for stealing or murder or whatever, your name already goes up on a wanted board. Your name being announced just means you got caught, not what your profession is. It was just an idea I thought might be fun.

>get stone
You get a nemmiro stone from inside your inspector's satchel.
>focus my stone
You focus your magical senses on a nemmiro stone.
The stone seems to be able to convert Moon mana to Evil mana.
Roundtime: 15 Sec.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 12:29 AM CDT
>>It must be a circle or general skill based thing then, because my thieves up to about 30th still get stocks. No choice. You can plead innocent or guilty, but if stocks are in, stocks are done.

It also might be a fine level check.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 01:51 AM CDT
>And I don't think it would out someone as a thief because anyone who gets caught for stealing or murder or whatever, your name already goes up on a wanted board. Your name being announced just means you got caught, not what your profession is.

Yes but the difference between the wanted board and what you are asking, is that the board doesn't send a citywide message. It is up to players to look at it, or be in the room with it to hear the announcements. Likewise, currently, you have to be at the stocks to get any sort of announcement or messaging about someone being put in them.

Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 07:10 AM CDT
it doesn't mean that you're a guilded thief, it just means you got caught stealing. might be bad for necros that pilfer in crossing though. have to Sit in the stocks, get accused of necromancy - that could hurt. :-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 07:41 AM CDT
>> might be bad for necros that pilfer in crossing though. have to Sit in the stocks, get accused of necromancy

Bonus.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 07:51 AM CDT
> might be bad for necros that pilfer in crossing though. have to Sit in the stocks, get accused of necromancy

Sometimes I think anyone with the average intelligence of a semi retarded fruit fly should be forcibly removed from the guild and made a ranger instead. Stupid should have penalties.

Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 09:34 AM CDT
If not for the outting stickiness, this would be a fun idea.

To expand upon it, it might be fun to have some random NPCs (ones created for this event like those that were sacrificed to the Hounds) get placed into the stocks maybe in an event where Crossings is trying to crack down on theft.

Nikpack
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 09:38 AM CDT
>>Sometimes I think anyone with the average intelligence of a semi retarded fruit fly should be forcibly removed from the guild and made a ranger instead. Stupid should have penalties.

I feel the same way about the Thief guild, but we lost that fight a long time ago.

Zeyurn probably changed the stocks option when he rewrote justice to add pleading innocent/guilty. It's been a very long time since I was offered the stocks, but I know every time I had been it was a choice - Stocks or Fine. If it's not that way any longer then I could see some problems with this.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/15/2012 06:30 PM CDT
>>Stupid should have penalties.<<

QFT

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/16/2012 06:53 AM CDT
thats provided you have the option. pay the fine or get the stocks. naturally the smart necro is going to pay the fine. IF they have the option.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/16/2012 07:20 AM CDT
>smart necro

The smart necro isn't going to be using stealing as a survival and is going to stay the heck out of dodge. So by default if you have that option there is no smart one.

Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/16/2012 07:25 AM CDT
actually if you'd actually PLAYED a necromancer - there's times when you are fighting certain critters that you can't use consume flesh. That being the case, laying in a supply of herbs is good. And, while most of them can be foraged, there are a few that cannot. For instance hisan salve. So while they might not use stealing as one of their "top survivals that they go see mr. book to circle with", they certainly might want to have enough stealing to pilfer themself some hisan salve. PARTICULARLY since higher level <having a certain amount of Divine outrage by default> Necros will no longer be able to see a "friendly" empath, even with ROC up.

/---
Leucius
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/16/2012 07:39 PM CDT
>>The smart necro isn't going to be using stealing as a survival and is going to stay the heck out of dodge. So by default if you have that option there is no smart one.<<

QFT.

Almost 80th and never hunted a critter I couldn't use CF on. Don't use a "friendly" empath, and I don't carry herbs. Stealing from shops means being in a justice zone, sorry, the smart necro doesn't hang out in justice zones, engage in criminal activities that can prolong your time in said justice zone, and result in other more negative consequences.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/17/2012 06:05 AM CDT
>they certainly might want to have enough stealing to pilfer themself some hisan salve.

Or they can just pay a few golds for herbs.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/17/2012 10:15 AM CDT
While I agree that stealing is a bad idea, hanging around in justice zones with my necro is one of my favorite things to do. It's fun to strike up conversations and do a little RP. Not all necros have to be anti-social beings of pure evil. Obviously spending hours on end in a justice zone is probably a bad idea, but I think there can be a happy medium for people like me who chose to RP different than the norm.

On topic though, I do think the stocks are really cool and I'd love to see them fleshed out so they actually see some usage. Maybe put it on the beaten path more and make it so that higher circle characters have a chance of getting put in the stocks in addition to their fine.
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/19/2012 04:41 PM CDT
>I've never been given a "choice" of what to do. I didn't know you got one. The only deciding factors I've noticed are: severity of crime, surrender or caught, admit guilt or plead innocent. I've never seen them ask, "So how would you like to serve out your punishment?"

The reason people are getting fines instead of the stocks is because I seem to be occupying them most of the time. ;-)
Re: Idea about The Stocks 10/21/2012 10:45 AM CDT
>Maybe put it on the beaten path more and make it so that higher circle characters have a chance of getting put in the stocks

This is from 5.5 months ago:

You raise your voice and firmly declare your intent to prove your innocence!

The judge nods solemnly, "You shall be given a chance to present your arguments in your defense, then."

Doing your best to muster the entirety of your eloquence, you argue the case that you should be found innocent of the crimes before you today. The judge listens intently, comparing what you say with notes upon his desk, and when you finish your summation, you can only hope that she was adequately moved.

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Nilassa, this court is not moved by your arguments, and finds you guilty of the charges brought against you. Your unwillingness to admit responsibility for your crimes shall weigh heavily upon you, Human."
The judge sighs. "Nilassa, for your crimes, I find it upon the mercy of this court to send you to the stocks to serve out your punishment. Think long upon your actions and perhaps you might be rehabilitated, but I doubt it."

The judge nods to the guards. "Take this lucky Human out of my sight!" She gives you a long, threatening stare before arising and retiring to her quarters.

Two guards approach you and push you into a dark corner where you are required to undress before them. One of them quickly empties your things into a sack and quickly leaves you.

The other grabs you roughly, dragging you off somewhere with much shoving and pushing.

Your ankles and wrists are quickly fit into stocks, leaving you helpless and embarrassed. The guard quickly leaves the area to return to other duties.
>
Circle: 150

-Artificer Nilassa

You notice Kssarh trying to remain hidden while speaking.
You hear the voice of Kssarh say, "Slackers."