Statute of Limitations 02/25/2012 03:18 AM CST
What I'd like to see is a decay of charges if a person "keeps their nose clean", or "out of sight" for awhile <proposal is for 6 months>. This would apply to all charges across the board excepting murder and crimes against the state.

theory - the guards aren't looking as hard for a person if they commit no additional crimes - they're "on the lam" for awhile, drop out of sight, aren't on the guards "radar".

I'm not exactly sure whether this would be include strictly time in-game or time off-line.

Thoughts?

He that oppresseth the poor balsphemeth his Maker; But he that is gracious unto the needy honoreth Him. Proverbs 14:31
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 01:41 PM CST

That's stupid, why would an entire justice system forget about someone breaking the law just because some time has passed?
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 01:55 PM CST
>>That's stupid, why would an entire justice system forget about someone breaking the law just because some time has passed?

I'm not for or against this idea, but keep in mind that there isn't exactly the most robust criminal database going on in DR. It's essentially just a picture of a guy on a big board with the word WANTED underneath.

Unless someone hits a serious level of notoriety, I could see some criminal acts becoming white noise and the local jurisdiction not recalling the entire situation as whole.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 02:35 PM CST
No, it's stupid. That's not the reason the statute of limitations was created. It doesn't exist for a felon to flee an area and wait out the authorities ability to "capture" them until they forget.

If you can see criminal acts becoming white noise and the local jurisdictions not recalling the entire situation as a whole maybe you can see extradition among provinces as well?
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 02:48 PM CST
>>That's not the reason the statute of limitations was created.

I wouldn't focus on the term, and instead what is being suggested: that petty crimes eventually "vanish" if they're not continued. I strongly doubt that the Crossing Town Guard hold spitting as that major of a crime that if someone left the town for a few months and came back, they were still an "arrest on sight" criminal against the province.

>>If you can see criminal acts becoming white noise and the local jurisdictions not recalling the entire situation as a whole maybe you can see extradition among provinces as well?

Yes, I can. Social Outrage works on a global level as it is, and I'm a proponent of having that system meshed into the justice system as a whole for all players (of course Necros still get their own little maxed out SO endings).
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 03:01 PM CST
Why would the crimes vanish when like you said, a giant poster with someone's face is hung up?
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 03:31 PM CST
>>Why would the crimes vanish when like you said, a giant poster with someone's face is hung up?

Because lots of reasons I can argue for the sake of justification:

1) the wanted board isn't the size of the great wall of china
2) every crime probably doesn't get the same size poster and/or prominence - WANTED: BILL FOR CRIMES AGAINST THE STATE probably doesn't go right next to WANTED: ROY FOR SCOWLING AT AN EMPATH
3) The provinces doesn't reprint the posters of every criminal on a weekly basis, so things will fall off the board, or fade, or etc etc justifiable rationality
4) It's silly to believe that the civilized areas of Elanthia have a perfect arrest record as long as someone's name is known
5) No one cares that much about petty crimes
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 03:39 PM CST

>1) the wanted board isn't the size of the great wall of china.

No, but it's pretty large and as people are arrested they take those down so it doesn't become too saturated with criminals.

>2) every crime probably doesn't get the same size poster and/or prominence - WANTED: BILL FOR CRIMES AGAINST THE STATE probably doesn't go right next to WANTED: ROY FOR SCOWLING AT AN EMPATH

No, but every crime does get a wanted poster as you can see by walking next to it and looking. I'm sure the guards have daily meetings or are at least as part of their job look at it to be on the lookout for criminals.

>3) The provinces doesn't reprint the posters of every criminal on a weekly basis, so things will fall off the board, or fade, or etc etc justifiable rationality.

They seem pretty sturdy to me, I've seen wanted criminals on those poster boards for years.

>4) It's silly to believe that the civilized areas of Elanthia have a perfect arrest record as long as someone's name is known

Those provinces have lots of great guards with amazing memories.

>5) No one cares that much about petty crimes

It's income, I'm sure they do care about it.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 04:12 PM CST
At this point I'm just amused that someone is so vehemently against this idea.

>>No, but it's pretty large and as people are arrested they take those down so it doesn't become too saturated with criminals.

Great. I still doubt a board in the town green could accurately reflect not just every major crime that takes place in a large population, but even petty things like pickpocketing, spitting, etc.

I feel it's important to point out that I don't think anyone is talking about having murder and crimes against the state and forbidden practices easily disappearing (or even being remove at all). This seems to be more a discussion about very petty criminal acts.

>>No, but every crime does get a wanted poster as you can see by walking next to it and looking. I'm sure the guards have daily meetings or are at least as part of their job look at it to be on the lookout for criminals.

Right. And I'm sure that major criminals take more priority than petty ones. Right now, it seems like the system doesn't mechanically differentiate, and it would be good for game lore to also differentiate. One way is by not having the law of the land caring that much that some Halfling named Bob spit on the sidewalk six months ago.

>>They seem pretty sturdy to me, I've seen wanted criminals on those poster boards for years.

Elanthia doesn't have America's Most Wanted, either.

>>Those provinces have lots of great guards with amazing memories.

For some reason, I think you expect too much out of rank and file citizenry.

Just say you dislike the idea because you dislike the idea. You're getting a bit... silly... in your argument that no crimes can ever be forgotten because of Zoluren's uber-guards who remember every criminal act ever and the determination to treat a sidewalk spitter as serious as a serial killer.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 04:23 PM CST
I think it's because we, in Elanthia, live in a futuristic society where the guards are all patrolling robots with infinite memory storage. Our robotic overlords have no need for such mundane things as eating, sleeping or forgetting.

That said, I fully support the idea of being able to eliminate 'minor' crimes. I even posted a suggestion about bribing public officials over in the thief suggestions folder a few days ago. Perhaps that should be broadened to the general adventuring citizenry. It might even add a benefit to being a citizen of a province.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 07:06 PM CST
I really like the idea of being able to bribe public officials.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 07:47 PM CST
While I agree the term is off, I like all of the concepts within, bribing seems great, anyone for smuggling?

Re: Statute of Limitations 02/28/2012 09:46 PM CST
<<I really like the idea of being able to bribe public officials.>>

Bribes are awesome.... more bribing in elanthia please.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 01:53 AM CST
>At this point I'm just amused that someone is so vehemently against this idea.

>Great. I still doubt a board in the town green could accurately reflect not just every major crime that takes place in a large population, but even petty things like pickpocketing, spitting, etc.

>I feel it's important to point out that I don't think anyone is talking about having murder and crimes against the state and forbidden practices easily disappearing (or even being remove at all). This seems to be more a discussion about very petty criminal acts.

Well I'm against it because its just a way people can get away with breaking laws and not having to deal with the consequences, it serves no purpose other than a hey, I wracked up a huge fine I don't feel like paying, let me move away for a little bit and have that all disappear. There's no good solid reason why this should even be considered.

>Right. And I'm sure that major criminals take more priority than petty ones. Right now, it seems like the system doesn't mechanically differentiate, and it would be good for game lore to also differentiate. One way is by not having the law of the land caring that much that some Halfling named Bob spit on the sidewalk six months ago.

The justice system was developed for a reason, there's crimes other than murder that are punishable. It seems your real problem has to do with certain acts being considered a crime, not with an individual committing a crime, being reported to the authorities, and made wanted. If your issue is that people are getting arrested for spitting on the sidewalk months after it happened then maybe you can _Role_Play a petition and have that not be illegal, instead of pardoning people from punishable acts after a certain time has elapsed, that's just asinine. Hey brosef, I know you stole from 5 different shops, got caught and the shop owners are wanting us to prosecute, but well 6 months have passed so everything is all good now we really don't care anymore. Keep the stolen goods, we'll make up something to those shop owners like we fined you just keep it on the DL, you feel me?

>For some reason, I think you expect too much out of rank and file citizenry.

>Just say you dislike the idea because you dislike the idea. You're getting a bit... silly... in your argument that no crimes can ever be forgotten because of Zoluren's uber-guards who remember every criminal act ever and the determination to treat a sidewalk spitter as serious as a serial killer.

I dislike the idea because it's stupid and asinine. Why not just get rid of all the minor offences then and have murder and other more heinous acts only trigger the justice system? The only purpose of a change like this I can fathom is to avoid going to jail for breaking the law and/or avoiding having to pay fines, how is that going to provide a much more rich environment?

Again, why should crimes be forgotten? An act was committed, not only was it committed it was also witnessed and reported to the authorities. Why then pardon it, or

and really...silly? One of your reasons why crimes should be forgotten is because "The wanted board would be too big." srs?

P.S. There's around 20 currently wanted in Prime. Such a huge amount for our rank and file to have to deal with, better get that Durgaulda sized Wanted Board started. They might run out of space on the Town Green one.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 09:23 AM CST
The idea being, that currently its set up so that once someone is wanted, they HAVE to go to jail <granted they can plead innocent now, which is a step forward>, but it doesn't account for situations or scenarios such as the following:

Joe Smith, an initiate WM , got into a few scrapes with the law. Never anything major, petty things, he was rather poor, stole a load of bread to feed his family. He has become more skilled as a mage through practice, can hunt higher-tiered critters, is thus wealthier and able to provide better, has moved out of Zoluren and taken up residence in Riverhaven. He hasn't been in Zoluren in 6 months. Upon visiting, he is immediately taken to jail for his crimes, never mind that there is an invasion of... say piraates, and the guards are in an uproar, they still remember this petty bread pilferer and arrest him on the spot.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 09:54 AM CST
>Joe Smith, an initiate WM , got into a few scrapes with the law. Never anything major, petty things, he was rather poor, stole a load of bread to feed his family. He has become more skilled as a mage through practice, can hunt higher-tiered critters, is thus wealthier and able to provide better, has moved out of Zoluren and taken up residence in Riverhaven. He hasn't been in Zoluren in 6 months. Upon visiting, he is immediately taken to jail for his crimes, never mind that there is an invasion of... say piraates, and the guards are in an uproar, they still remember this petty bread pilferer and arrest him on the spot.

Poor Joe Smith still broke the law, regardless of the circumstance. He was caught stealing and Steve the shop owner is seeking restitution. You see, Steve had been pilfered three other times that day and has lost significant income to be able to provide for his family. He can not afford milk to feed his newborn baby, but Steve, unlike Poor Joe Smith found other measns to make up that lost money like collecting branches for Mags. Instead of dealing with the consequences though, Joe Smith the initiate Warrior Mage decides to flee Zoluren and move to Riverhaven to willfully avoid dealing with the law. Now that some time has passed Joe Smith wants to come back to Zoluren and pretend like his actions didn't happen under the premise that now he can provide for himself? Joe Smith should be taken to jail and presumably spend more time and be fined more due to attempting to evade the law.

I will agree during invasions it doesn't make sense to have auto arrest enabled since the guards have their handful;however "forgetting" crimes isn't the answer. Maybe turning off auto-arrest during the invasion is.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 10:14 AM CST
>>Well I'm against it because its just a way people can get away with breaking laws and not having to deal with the consequences, it serves no purpose other than a hey, I wracked up a huge fine I don't feel like paying, let me move away for a little bit and have that all disappear. There's no good solid reason why this should even be considered.

You seriously seem to be missing the difference between serious crimes and petty crimes.

Petty crimes rarely (ever?) have huge fines.

Beyond that, "avoid being caught and committing future crime" isn't necessarily a walk in the park.

>>The justice system was developed for a reason, there's crimes other than murder that are punishable.

The justice system is an OOC mechanic. We're talking about ways it can be seen more IC.

>>It seems your real problem has to do with certain acts being considered a crime, not with an individual committing a crime, being reported to the authorities, and made wanted.

Not really.

>>Hey brosef, I know you stole from 5 different shops, got caught and the shop owners are wanting us to prosecute, but well 6 months have passed so everything is all good now we really don't care anymore. Keep the stolen goods, we'll make up something to those shop owners like we fined you just keep it on the DL, you feel me?

Not really.

More like, "no one remembers your face all that well and the guards more recent/serious crimes to address"

You seem to think it would function, ICly, as "the town guard forgive you because they make a conscious choice to get over what you did". It's more a case of "the case behind the crime is old, time goes on, people don't have the best long term memories when it comes to some stuff"

Sometimes, crimes go unsolved. Many times that is because the criminal knows not to stick around and keep doing the same thing.

>>I dislike the idea because it's stupid and asinine. Why not just get rid of all the minor offences then and have murder and other more heinous acts only trigger the justice system?

Because that isn't what someone is proposing.

>>The only purpose of a change like this I can fathom is to avoid going to jail for breaking the law and/or avoiding having to pay fines, how is that going to provide a much more rich environment?

Who knows. Maybe the OP likes the idea of being a fugitive who can actually win at being a fugitive or someone who knows to get out of dodge, as opposed to the guards eternally knowing that you stole a flower from a lady ten years ago.

I know it's fun to do that as a Necromancer: having to get out of town, avoid contact with authorities, citizens, etc, and eventually hope that the people have forgotten about you the next time you want to buy a backpack.

>>Again, why should crimes be forgotten? An act was committed, not only was it committed it was also witnessed and reported to the authorities. Why then pardon it?

No one said they were being pardoned. You seem to be confusing "they'll never catch the suspect because the crime is X days/weeks/months/years old" with the crime being forgiven.

>>P.S. There's around 20 currently wanted in Prime. Such a huge amount for our rank and file to have to deal with, better get that Durgaulda sized Wanted Board started. They might run out of space on the Town Green one.

Elanthia's population doesn't begin or end with PCs.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 10:37 AM CST
>You seriously seem to be missing the difference between serious crimes and petty crimes.

No not really, you can commit multiple petty crimes each having their own charge. See stealing and getting caught from 7 different shops. Multiple instances of endangering the public.

>The justice system is an OOC mechanic. We're talking about ways it can be seen more IC.

No, it really isn't.

>Not really.

>More like, "no one remembers your face all that well and the guards more recent/serious crimes to address"

>You seem to think it would function, ICly, as "the town guard forgive you because they make a conscious choice to get over what you did". It's more a case of "the case behind the crime is old, time goes on, people don't have the best long term memories when it comes to some stuff"

>Sometimes, crimes go unsolved. Many times that is because the criminal knows not to stick around and keep doing the same thing.

Yes really.

There's a wanted board, posted upon said wanted board is a poster calling for said persons arrest. Guards also keep citation journals as well, so please explain where long term memories are required again and how charges which have been physically recorded will disappear after a cooldown period due to shoddy memory. kthx.

Sure, sometimes crimes go unsolved because of mechanic limitations like staying outside of town to avoid being arrested. Sometimes criminals show their faces again and are caught though because they broke the law.

>Who knows. Maybe the OP likes the idea of being a fugitive who can actually win at being a fugitive or someone who knows to get out of dodge, as opposed to the guards eternally knowing that you stole a flower from a lady ten years ago.

You can be a fugitive with the current system, stay out of town. You can also come back in town and have a chance of being caught and going to jail. Ala what a fugitive has to deal with on a constant basis. However, in this game being a fugitive only occurs when you're in town since guards won't pursue outside the borders. Not sure the relevance in your comment about this, but ok.

>No one said they were being pardoned. You seem to be confusing "they'll never catch the suspect because the crime is X days/weeks/months/years old" with the crime being forgiven.

You seem to fail to understand how those crimes will be forgotten. See above. Also, see the Subject of this post. Now google the subject of this post, read about it and come to the realization of what the subject of this post means.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 10:41 AM CST
>>No not really, you can commit multiple petty crimes each having their own charge. See stealing and getting caught from 7 different shops. Multiple instances of endangering the public.

I'm rather certain that, throughout this discussion, it's been said that if you keep committing crimes, you would have failed at the whole staying off the crime-radar thing that would make the case go cold.

>>No, it really isn't.

...yes, it is. The fact that every crime is always solvable and even if you spat on the sidewalk 50 years ago the town guards will treat you the same as if you did it ten seconds ago because "they remember stuff really really well" is due to the mechanics. There's nothing I'm aware of that ICly explains why guards are capable of remembering every crime in the history of forever.

>>You seem to fail to understand how those crimes will be forgotten.

Because time goes on. Do you think the NYPD stays on constant vigilance for people who are suspected of crimes from decades ago? No. Cases go cold. They stop aggressively perusing people. Things go unsolved.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 10:49 AM CST

>I'm rather certain that, throughout this discussion, it's been said that if you keep committing crimes, you would have failed at the whole staying off the crime-radar thing that would make the case go cold.

You realize you can perform multiple crimes in a matter of minutes which all add up right? I can choose to steal from 5 shops and get busted at each one before I'm caught by the guards. Then once those crimes have been committed you can flee and "stay off the radar?" How long have you played this game for?

>>No, it really isn't.

...yes, it is. The fact that every crime is always solvable and even if you spat on the sidewalk 50 years ago the town guards will treat you the same as if you did it ten seconds ago because "they remember stuff really really well" is due to the mechanics. There's nothing I'm aware of that ICly explains why guards are capable of remembering every crime in the history of forever.

Please re-read previous post about citation journals and posters on the wanted board about an IC way guards are capable of remembering every crime.

>>You seem to fail to understand how those crimes will be forgotten.

Because time goes on. Do you think the NYPD stays on constant vigilance for people who are suspected of crimes from decades ago? No. Cases go cold. They stop aggressively perusing people. Things go unsolved.

Do you think that if a criminal surfaces after 6-8-24 months the NYPD won't do anything about it? Go perform credit card fraud, leave the country for a few years and attempt to re-enter and resume your life. I wonder if you'll get arrested.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 11:41 AM CST
<Do you think that if a criminal surfaces after 6-8-24 months the NYPD won't do anything about it? Go perform credit card fraud, leave the country for a few years and attempt to re-enter and resume your life. I wonder if you'll get arrested.

I think the idea is that the average beat cop doesn't know you exist. They don't remember your face 2 years down the line. Sure, there are wanted posters, but the typical cop won't recognize you unless he's looking at the poster. If the criminal does something to bring his name up, the cop will notice; but if the criminal stays quiet, chances are quite good that he'll be able to walk right by that police cruiser on the corner with nobody the wiser.

--

What I think would encompass both ideas fairly nicely: the crimes are not forgotten, but the older it is (going by most recent crimes only) the more likely the criminal is to escape the guards' notice.

The whole messaging about the guards looking at you for a moment, then looking away - the one that currently contests escaping - that contest should be easier the longer it's been since your last crime. If the contest is failed, the person is still hauled in to the judge for justice.
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 12:07 PM CST
>>You realize you can perform multiple crimes in a matter of minutes which all add up right? I can choose to steal from 5 shops and get busted at each one before I'm caught by the guards. Then once those crimes have been committed you can flee and "stay off the radar?" How long have you played this game for?

This conversation would go a lot better if you read what I wrote before you wrote back a response.

>>I think the idea is that the average beat cop doesn't know you exist. They don't remember your face 2 years down the line. Sure, there are wanted posters, but the typical cop won't recognize you unless he's looking at the poster. If the criminal does something to bring his name up, the cop will notice; but if the criminal stays quiet, chances are quite good that he'll be able to walk right by that police cruiser on the corner with nobody the wiser.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 04:48 PM CST
Here's how I would run a police force in the Crossing.

If we caught someone for a crime, it would go on our list, large or small, but we would prioritize finding the serious criminals (e.g., murder, forbidden practices). We'd make large wanted posters for those, regularly study them and keep our eyes peeled.

If someone did something petty, like spit on the streets, and we saw it, we'd nab them. If they just managed to get away, that would irk us and we'd probably remember their face for a couple of days or even weeks. But we wouldn't make a wanted poster because, let's face it, the Crossing is a huge city and we have bigger fish to fry. We couldn't possibly remember all those faces even if we DID make posters.

So, over time, some of the little guys would get away, if they stayed out of our view long enough.

To sum up: Nobody would realistically make wanted posters for every single little crime. (And nobody would remember all the faces even if that did happen.) And citation journals aren't going to help anyone remember a criminal's face.

Human (humanoid) memory is poor. That's just life. I like the suggestion.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Statute of Limitations 02/29/2012 05:04 PM CST
I think that the current justice system is rather pitiful, and if its going to stay well, fine. I'm still going to play the game.

I however don't know where your coming from with most of your arguments Heastrenfhero.

Face is most people won't be able to stay off the radar, because they need to script their stealing ranks up, so they'll stay on the list indefinitely.

Personally I'd like a more interactive justice system, heck I think that people teaching stealing in justice zones should be as bad as stealing, and have guards come to that location, because of suspicious activity and whatever else.

I like the concept of having crimes being part of the Necromacer's SO, and SO being more affluent.

Of course from the 2010 Goals: Justice and/or System Updates to Handle Deportation, Exile, or Incarceration.

Love that too.