Prev_page Previous 1
New Arena 11/03/2002 12:06 AM CST
The Arena system = great idea. Location in SCC = Horrible idea. I'm at the Arena right now and its totally empty. I mean not one person.

This sort of place will never be successful in SCC. It will end up being a huge waste of time for the GMs responsible for creating it as well as a missed opportunity for the players to interact with each other in a way thats not currently available. Any chance the arena can be moved to Crossing where it would actually be used?

The Arena itself is great... It just needs to be moved to a place where it will be used.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 01:15 AM CST
What's to say shard isn't going to be getting something a little farther down the line to increase the flow of traffic?

Sylme
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:21 AM CST
>>The Arena itself is great... It just needs to be moved to a place where it will be used.

Who is to say once word really gets around, people won't start heading down there, even if only for the Arena itself? Who is to say that it won't just start a population shift towards Shard, and this is the GM's intentions?

Just dropping everything in Crossing because "that's where everybody's at" will do nothing to get those people to spread out, it just encourages them to continue overpopulating one part of the Realm while ignoring the rest.

Putting the Arena in Shard is a good idea. Get some people to spread out a bit. Might not happen overnight, and probably won't. But give it time.

~~~Krin
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 07:30 AM CST
I have to say, I think having the Arena in Shard is a good thing. And Multiname, when were you down there? I was there from about 9 - 11 p.m. est, and there was at least 15-20 people there. Yeah, you're not going to see as many people between midnight and 6 a.m.

Anyway, great system Jeremael, even though I was able to kill Kelvena and break the system...

Storrmm
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 07:35 AM CST
Have yet to go and see/try out the SCC arena....

It's my understanding that this is a realms wide thing. There is an arena in Crossing attached to the Barb guild... I would assume the new mechanics will work in any arena eventually
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 09:07 AM CST
I have to agree with Multiname on this. The arena looks great but putting it in SCC is a disaster. I only hope that the mechanics of this new arena are going to be used in the Crossing Arena where they can be

The roman coliseum was put in Rome for a reason. If you truly want to draw a large population of spectators then you put your arena in the largest city. Youre really taking a loosing gamble to think that populations will move just to use the arena or watch its events.

By the way, Im in the arena right now at 8am PST/11am EST. Not one person is in here. This is on its second day open! Dont get me wrong; I love the fact that the Arena has arrived. I just want to see it actually used in the way it should be.

Edgee
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 09:14 AM CST
>>If you truly want to draw a large population of spectators then you put your arena in the largest city.

And that's probably why Shard made an Arena. To catch the eye of more adventurers.

>>By the way, Im in the arena right now at 8am PST/11am EST. Not one person is in here.

Maybe that's because noone is ever awake during the AM hours? :p
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 09:35 AM CST
Well, I suppose the GMs should just cancel any plans for P5 and put all their effort into turning the Crossing into a mega mudd mall...

Yeah, that's the ticket. To heck with diversity and cultural enhancements! Give us convenience!!

An Elothean complaining about cultural improvements in Shard! That is just so darn hilarious!!

You go, Edgee!!
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 10:12 AM CST
The only people I remember being in Shard consistently were Traders and those guys were forced to move to Crossing once they made Shard trading pay crappy. I imagine there are a few people hunting adan'f or something, but I cant see the Shard Arena getting used much at all.

If this 'Arena system' is going to get expanded to all or most other provinces eventually, then it wont matter. But if Shard is the only place with an Arena, I dont think it'll get the proper use that it should. (People will just stick to the Crossing graveyard).
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 10:29 AM CST
recently Riverhaven has received much attention and new development as new hunting grounds were introduced, more guilds put in branches for youngsters and other details that made it possible for "newbies" to start there.

So Shard is also most likely to be "fleshed out" as well, and the arena is part of that development.

So its good that all areas will receive attention, and I applaud the GMs for putting this facility there.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 10:31 AM CST
<<<<<<<The only people I remember being in Shard consistently were Traders and those guys were forced to move to Crossing once they made Shard trading pay crappy. I imagine there are a few people hunting adan'f or something, but I cant see the Shard Arena getting used much at all.

Galford1>>>>>

I would assume this won't be the only enhancement to the Shard area. The GM's have been making an effort to flesh out the existing realms for the past year or so. That is why P5 was delayed. In this fleshing out, I would assume they will try to make each province attractive to a large number of people. If they had started this arena in Crossing, it would just give Crossing another reason for people to congregate there, and I don't believe Crossing needs any more reasons for the near future.

Just give it time and see what happens. Maybe if people stay down there and be patient for more arrivals, more people will stay down there when they see you are there. Never know.

Zyrix S'thorn
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 11:34 AM CST
It seems to me that the truly serious PvP's would want to take advantage of a system that keep's you from losing favors and damaging your equipment in the process. . .no matter how far away from the center of the universe it is. . .

-Seraphael
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 11:53 AM CST
<<(People will just stick to the Crossing graveyard)

When they opened the trader bazaar, selling at the bank became illegal. Perhaps the Prince will crack down on cemetery sparring too. But at least when the inevitable moron's show up in front of the Crossing warmie guild or the crossing bank and the first thing out of their mouth is 'anyone wanna spar?', they can now be directed to the fine province of illithi and it's beautiful new facilities. ;)
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:00 PM CST
Well the big reason the push for the arena was made was to move the tournies out of the crossing cemetary. I agree that its placement is bad. It should have been placed in or near Crossing. The people in the cemetary aren't going to move to the new arena, its too far out of the way. And since the arena is there, I'm positive the anti-cemetary people will rise up again and try and push out the cemetary crowd using the new arena as their IC reasoning to get them off the holy ground.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:01 PM CST
Is Ilithi really THAT hard to get to? Its not like the arena is on M'riss or something. You have what, a 2 minute ferry ride and a 5 minute gondola ride or something? And however long it takes you to walk. And when you get there, you can spar for hours on end, without even leaving, only for a single silver coin!
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:02 PM CST
<<Well the big reason the push for the arena was made was to move the tournies out of the crossing cemetary. I agree that its placement is bad. It should have been placed in or near Crossing. The people in the cemetary aren't going to move to the new arena, its too far out of the way. And since the arena is there, I'm positive the anti-cemetary people will rise up again and try and push out the cemetary crowd using the new arena as their IC reasoning to get them off the holy ground.>>

Yea, it'd be a horrible shame if anyone was forced to actually act in an IC manner about any of their characters actions. . .

Seriously though, use the new arena, you won't lose favors, you won't get your stuff destroyed, people might actually watch and enjoy what your doing, and it's not like shard's more than 10 - 15 minutes away anyway. . .

-Seraphael
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:06 PM CST
90% of the cemetary crowd doesn't RP, heck last time they said don't give me that IC crap and killed the clerics trying to RP moving them out of the cemetary. The reason they wanted to stay in the cemetary is because its a centralized place and easy to get to. We found them better spots with better mana and a better layout, however they were too far from crossing so the crowd wouldn't move.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:18 PM CST
Lets see....if they don't RP, and they just want to kill each other, why don't they all go to TF and stay there? Or move their center of operations to Shard and stay in the arena the whole time.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:27 PM CST
>>Or move their center of operations to Shard and stay in the arena the whole time.

The Gods forbid....
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 12:56 PM CST
This New Arena is an awesome positive step forward for the realms! For those who forget to say thank you or never acknowledge the positive, here is a big thanks for improving what we have.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 02:23 PM CST
It's not unusual for us to build things outside of the city of Crossing for a variety of reasons.

I'm confidant that as people explore the advantages of using the arena it will become a very popular place. The Kirmblars track a player's wins and losses in single competitions to give you something to brag about. The team play mechanics, which probably haven't even been utilized as of yet, will bring a whole new avenue to competitions with the Kirmblars keeping track of points earned by deaths to the opposing team as well as the multiple room mechanics.

Not only are the competition mechanics neat but the setup allowing observing the competions and friendly betting on outcomes will make this enjoyable for a wide variety of folks.

Anywho...This is a new system that is highly customizable for DragonRealm's future needs and I'm sure we will see new arenas in different areas of Elanthia in that future.

Enjoy your gameplay!

GM Jeremael
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 02:56 PM CST
nothing you do is ever a small system is it Jeremael? =P

Clyn
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:02 PM CST
Jeremael any way that you can add in hand armor to the choice of gear, that was about my only complaint in there except for no jabbing type HE or ME weapons. Great system in there and I praise you if even for the ability to go at it with Blasword.

~Ternith/Jimi
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:07 PM CST
a few questions--is the arena hidable in?

and LE & ME jabbing weapons would be good.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:11 PM CST
Also..any way of getting an axe as one of the weapon choices? <g> Some of use don't like using the other, weaker weapons. <wink>

Me.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:13 PM CST
As far as medium edged jabbers go, there's a rapier on the rack. (Or was last night at the opening)

GM Jaedren
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:33 PM CST

The new arena looks really nice. Noone around to test it with when i peeked in but it's a huge step forward. Thanks!

Taf
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 03:37 PM CST
Anyone complaining about the arena, please first go and take a look...it is simply incredible, and is a PvPers dream. Personally I don't like to fight other players that much, but I was having a blast yesterday, and most of that was watching fights and betting <g>

Yeah it is a long way from Crossing...but not that far.

Jaedren, wonderful work, and Krun is a load of fun <g> One thing I asked elsewhere though is could we get some refreshments in the booths? Or even a bar outside or something? Would be nice to enjoy some food and drink while watching.

Blaayd
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 04:58 PM CST
The new Arena looks great and I'm incredibly happy that it's finally here. There are a few things that need to be added to make it complete though.

-Armor: I didn't check the plate or chain stuff, but I know the leather helm doesn't cover eyes, and there's no hand armor at all. We need to have armor that covers everywhere or else you end up having fights where whoever's lucky enough to hit an unprotected body part wins, instead of who's actually better.

-Weapons: I noticed there wasn't any composite bow to choose. Also, the selection of weapons could be rounded out a bit better (ie. a throwing dagger for the only LE is a throwing dagger). Also, you should be able to choose one melee weapon and one ranged weapon, so putting those on different racks would be nice.

-The one-one-one combat seems like it's just a really complicated way to do a challenge done with generic equipment and that you have to pay for, but I guess if there were actually a number of people around the arena waiting for a team fight it'd be more useful.

-How they handle your items: It's nice how they take your stuff and store it for you whole you're in the arena, but how it's all given back to you in a sack makes the whole place very unfriendly to gweths, since it uses up charges every time you have to get it out of your sack and wear it again. If it's at all possible to have your stuff somehow put back on when you leave the arena without it doing things like sucking charges out of/breaking gweths, that'd be wonderful.

-Bugs with Team Combat: JOINing the Kirmblar for the 2nd (blue team) captainship can be done by more than one person. So you end up with 2 blue captains (or maybe more, we could only rustle up 3 people) and it messes things up. Another one is that if the team you're challenging leaves the arena first, you shouldn't get the "No honor! No points!" for leaving when there's nobody left to fight.

-Other bugs: You can SNEAK out of the one-one-one combat room (probably the team combat room too, didn't check) during the fight and you don't get any message about the fight ending and it breaks that Kirmblar.

That's what I've got after a quick run through. I did some BUG reports on the few bugs I noticed.

Overall the system is really cool. Big thanks to everyone involved in making it.

-Poshly

PS. Please put one in/around the Crossing so this doesn't turn into Ratha Arena part 2 ;)
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 05:03 PM CST
Oh yeah, one other thing. The time-limit on the one-on-one fights seems pretty low. A lot of close-skilled melee battles are going to go over that time limit.

-Poshly
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 05:09 PM CST
>>-Bugs with Team Combat: JOINing the Kirmblar for the 2nd (blue team) captainship can be done by more than one person. So you end up with 2 blue captains (or maybe more, we could only rustle up 3 people) and it messes things up. Another one is that if the team you're challenging leaves the arena first, you shouldn't get the "No honor! No points!" for leaving when there's nobody left to fight.

Also, if you concede, you can go back and join the same kirmblar and get put as the captain of the fight you just conceded. (hope that made sense)

There's a lot of downtime between a fight ending and the kirmblar coming back. The empath stops to rest way too often (about every 90 seconds, heals maybe 4 wounds in the process).

-Frogspawn
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 05:11 PM CST
Sorry, another possible bug is that if you get a favor thingy from the priest, and then you leave the arena to go to the viewing area, then return to the arena to fight, you still have your favor. I'm not sure if this is intended and you need to completely leave the Kirm Morzindu to lose that favor, but it is happening.

-Poshly
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 07:19 PM CST
anyone around care to try the arena with me now? they took all my clothes and I'm just standing around waiting for someone else to show =( ::sniffles::

"It's cold, and wolves are after me..."

-Hansley->>

AIM=HansleyDR
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 08:23 PM CST
I agree with the reasoning for placing it away from the Crossing, but if there is one built near the Crossing some day I think it should be in Knife Clan.
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 09:04 PM CST
Some other Arena issues...

First, in the team combat, when all of one team's fighters are knocked out, the match doesn't end for a while. Apparently there is a timer that will kick in and say the match is over and who won, but it takes a while and I didn't realize we had to wait and left the fighting room, only to get the "No honor! No points!" message, even though the other team had all been killed. So if you could make it automatically end the fight after one team's last person is knocked out, or make the check in shorter intervals, that'd be helpful.

Also, I think Frogspawn already brought this up, but the Empath in there is awfully slow. This ends up being a relatively big problem when you have a decent number of people in there fighting in a team fight. We just had 5 people fight, only 3 of whom got hurt and if we didn't have another Empath in there with us at the time, a few might have died due to waiting for the auto-Empath to recover. So if Lindaius could be sped up a little, or maybe put another one in there, that'd help as well.

-Poshly
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 09:33 PM CST
One more...wee this is fun...

The time limit for the team combat is way too short as well. I like the fact that there is a time limit since it prevents the 3 hour long battles of boredom that used to happen in the cemetery, but 5 minutes, or whatever it is now, is way too short. 20-30 would be much better, especially when you're doing multiple room fights.

Thanks again,

-Poshly
Re: New Arena 11/03/2002 10:05 PM CST
Got another one...

The count-down messaging for the fights starting in the team-combat fields needs to be audible in all of the rooms, not just the first room. Make everyone in the field hear the Kirmblar yelling the countdown and the starting message.

-Poshly
Re: New Arena 11/04/2002 12:59 AM CST
I haven't had so much fun taking multiple severe beatings in a long time (I think I've finally perfected the catch everything with your head manuvure now). The new system is great and hopefully other cities will decide to not be shown up by shard and build arenas of thier own.

A faster empath would be great. It would also be real nice if the empath had a herb cabinet that acted like a shelf in a shop filled with one shot doses of cebi, hisan, and maybe some of the other herbs. With just 4 or 5 of us fighting in the arena we would have been very bored and most likely suffered several deaths if we didn't bring in our own empaths.

Also, I agree that the timers are much to short.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Grungy
Re: New Arena 11/04/2002 10:42 AM CST
One other thing that would be nice is squires.

Maybe pay an extra few silver upon entering to have a squire re-outfit you when you leave, so that you don't have to put all your stuff back on by yourself.

If this could be done so that you wouldn't lose a charge on your gweth, it would be even better.

-Frogspawn
Re: New Arena 11/04/2002 02:04 PM CST
The empath being slow is pretty much the same as other NPCs. I'm hoping that player Empaths will hang out in the Gladiator area in time. Both the infirmary and the equipment room has nice life mana and Empaths get into the battle area cheaply.

GM Jeremael
Prev_page Previous 1