Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/22/2018 11:13 PM CDT
What is the purpose of having graves spit your items out after a certain amount of time? Is permanent item loss through normal play really something that should be a part of the game today?
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/22/2018 11:21 PM CDT
Graves can't stay around in the game forever taking up memory. It encourages players to get to the graves promptly and to make an effort to get favors.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/22/2018 11:37 PM CDT
Are the servers really going to come to a crashing halt if I don't get back to my grave quickly? Can we not figure out some method for penalizing death that doesn't involve permanent item loss?
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 12:02 AM CDT
While I understand that this won't ease your current situation, we have made changes to death and graves over the years, including setting depart to default (if you've gotten 3 favors before the death, anyway) to take all your items with you when you go, as well as the cheaper "depart items' option that only costs 2 favors. We've also got item registration that can help GMs recreate things that might otherwise be beyond our reach. Death has always had some sting in DragonRealms. Taking death from "Hey, this is definitely going to hurt you a lot" to where it is now has been a slow culture shift. There's probably room for more culture shift as we progress.

I do hope you're able to find replacements for the items we were unable to find or re-create for you. I know these bits of text can have a lot of impact on our characters and on us behind the scenes.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 12:27 AM CDT
What is the official reasoning for having the graves throw your items out? Is it a memory/clutter issue as the other poster said? Is it just "this is always the way it has been"?

I can understand that having your items drop into a grave is a punishment for not having enough favors or choosing a particular depart option. It's scary enough to have to run back into an area where creatures obviously have a chance of killing you fully geared, much less naked and unarmed. Isn't that enough of a penalty? Do we really need to have the potential for permanent item loss as a penalty?
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 01:58 AM CDT
As was said there is a simple solution.. carry more than 3 favors. Back in the 90s many didnt carry a lot of favors for whatever reason & they would end up walking, losing everything.

Its not that hard to carry more than 1 favor, unless your a necro (general You here). I have one character that I've brought back that had 2 favors, I'm working on "stupid" easy skills to get her favors up. Another has 100, & another has 20, I'm trying to bring them all to a minimum of 20.

With the sting of permanent death gone aka walking the starry, carry more than 10 favors. Its not that hard, just a bit of time consuming.
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 03:48 AM CDT
"As was said there is a simple solution.."

I understand that there is a simple solution. I'm not questioning the depart mechanics or how to achieve the "safe" option. I'm questioning why the system exists in the first place. It seems like it is designed to cause loss of items.

"Back in the 90s...Starry Road"

There are things in this game that people invest lots of time/money to achieve. It seems like most systems that cause permanent loss have been removed/replaced. Why is this one still in the game?
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 04:22 AM CDT
>>What is the official reasoning for having the graves throw your items out? Is it a memory/clutter issue as the other poster said?

Yes, this is the primary reason that graves do not stick around indefinitely. Other reasons include various interactions between how graves work and other systems being seen as important to preserve by both players and staff.

As Iocanthe stated, the way death and items interact is not something that for-certain will never change again, but I will say that the idea of leaving a grave and it never spitting items out or going away on its own is extremely unlikely to happen, just for basic mechanical reasons with how the game rooms are stored and updated on a deep engine level that would end up with unfortunate results for the server if we did try to implement that.

-Persida
Re: Grave Mechanics Complaint 03/23/2018 09:18 AM CDT

>>There are things in this game that people invest lots of time/money to achieve.

There are lore reasons, as well as developmental manpower reasons, to leave things as it stands. Favors are a huge part of the lore of this game, and have been for over twenty years now. Not leaving a grave on death is essentially the ONLY reason left to acquire them, as the rest of the drawbacks of death have been (for the most part) eradicated completely in favor of making things simple. Compared to the effort it takes to attain those items, the five minutes it takes to get three favors is negligible. Graves don't even exist if a player takes an extremely insignificant amount of responsibility in preparing themselves for the 'what if'. Dying happens. If you leave a grave behind when it does, it isn't the systems fault, it's yours.

If you choose not to get favors, you choose to deal with the consequence.