Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 09:59 AM CST
This stems from a discussion with a friend regarding what exactly is going into favor orbs.

Mechanically - you make an appropriate offering to a god, be that a pelt or a bead or whatnot, and you're given a favor orb. You can then rub the favor orb to place some of your field experience into the orb, and place the orb back on the altar and you have 1 favor, which can help safeguard from negative ramifications for death.

Lorewise, I'm wondering what's going on with the orb preparation. Does placing memories in the orb constitute something akin to turning a crank to charge a battery to give a god a bit more godjuice? Are you offering pieces of your spirit for the immortal nomnoms? Is it akin to forgetting various memories in your life, a la Neverending Story II, or is it more akin to maybe memorizing a sequence of letters and repeating those letters back for a one time password?

Should adventurers with 100+ favors be suffering from extreme memory loss, or are we meant to not really know?
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 10:37 AM CST
>>Should adventurers with 100+ favors be suffering from extreme memory loss, or are we meant to not really know?

They don't take long-term memories or anything like Neverending Story II. Arguably they're taking short-term memory (undigested experience), but that's never been set in stone.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 11:35 AM CST
I'm guessing that the gods need to be a little bit mysterious, otherwise to entirely know everything about a god, including that god's mind and intentions, would be in a sense to be a god. I say we just give them what they want and not ask too many questions.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 11:46 AM CST
I just figured it was a system-mechanical way of representing "I am performing these actions as an act of worship toward X, as opposed for my own benefit."

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 12:00 PM CST

>Arguably they're taking short-term memory (undigested experience), but that's never been set in stone.

I was poking around for info and couldn't really find any. Has anything been specified about what's going on? Like, why Immortals like short-term memories, how that impacts Adventurers, if short-term memories constitute spirit/soul/mortal experiences, that sort of thing? Or has it always just been 'its a mechanical system with a lore spin, don't look at it too hard'?

>I just figured it was a system-mechanical way of representing "I am performing these actions as an act of worship toward X, as opposed for my own benefit."

Sure. Transactional. Applied Theology, as the case may be.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 03:00 PM CST
>I just figured it was a system-mechanical way of representing "I am performing these actions as an act of worship toward X, as opposed for my own benefit."

I view it in the same way. It's not that my character doesn't remember doing the actions that allow him to power the orb; it's more that my character chooses not to gain personal benefit from doing those things, and instead offers that potential personal gain as gratitude for divine protection.

>I was poking around for info and couldn't really find any. Has anything been specified about what's going on? Like, why Immortals like short-term memories, how that impacts Adventurers, if short-term memories constitute spirit/soul/mortal experiences, that sort of thing? Or has it always just been 'its a mechanical system with a lore spin, don't look at it too hard'?

I actually really like the ambiguity in what accepting favor orbs does for the gods. Are they reliant on consuming some part of their worshipers for their power/existence? Are those sacrifices (of exp) utterly meaningless, except as a way of humbling one's self before one's protector and/or creator? Do they contribute in some way to the protection of the planes?

The lack of an objective answer is cool because it allows one to think of the immortals as beings truly beyond the comprehension of mortals (if one is so inclined), or as super powered parasites. The answers a character tends to find most satisfying often say a lot about the character, which to me is more interesting than simply being right or wrong in an absolute sense.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/02/2018 05:50 PM CST
I've had at least one player character that thought the Immortals have been around a LONG time, and they have run out of "new" experiences they can have - so they experience new things vicariously by soaking up some of the things we've done. I mean, in OUR way of seeing time, we might not think anything we've done is new, but to the Immortals it is all fresh and shiny.

I've had some weird ways of seeing things, though!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 08:08 AM CST

>I actually really like the ambiguity in what accepting favor orbs does for the gods.

Oh, absolutely, which is why I tried to ask the question with the caveat of 'but if this is intentionally vague that's cool too'. I can totally get behind 'it was a mechanical thing with good flavor text, and was never really fleshed out, so fill in the blanks as you see fit!'.

>Are they reliant on consuming some part of their worshipers for their power/existence? Are those sacrifices (of exp) utterly meaningless, except as a way of humbling one's self before one's protector and/or creator? Do they contribute in some way to the protection of the planes? The answers a character tends to find most satisfying often say a lot about the character, which to me is more interesting than simply being right or wrong in an absolute sense.

I super agree with the above last sentence!

So, reading the Craft Sequence recently and Necromancer-main-biased viewpoints here, but I feel the set up is that the Immortals are from another plane, and now they're on this plane, and one of the Things They've Done is to try and stabilize things, more or less, and Another Thing They've Done is to strike a bargain with Adventurers wherein the Adventurer gives them some of their memories, and the Immortals help keep that Adventurer around. This exchange is transactional, perhaps analogous to depositing money in a bank so that you can later take that money out again. The term 'transactional' here is not meant to diminish the exchange, but only to note that it does not necessarily require love/respect/adoration of the Immortal. One can have no faith in an Immortal in the sense that we IRL think of faith, and still earn favors with that Immortal. 'Applied Theology' is a funny term that may fit here. The Immortals, like the bank, have the better part of this deal.

>I've had at least one player character that thought the Immortals have been around a LONG time, and they have run out of "new" experiences they can have - so they experience new things vicariously by soaking up some of the things we've done. I mean, in OUR way of seeing time, we might not think anything we've done is new, but to the Immortals it is all fresh and shiny.

That makes sense. The only way to contextualize the flow of time for an ancient Immortal being is to gain snapshots into the lives of mortals.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 09:19 AM CST

I kind of like this from a lore perspective, and it aligns with how most of my characters (clerics and paladins excluded) have viewed the immortals. They see immortals as super-powerful mages with a few obsessions, likes, and dislikes. I could never really figure out a way to make them "care" about mortals as more than playthings, but that line of theorizing actually could work. I'd love to see this in game, and it would make a great necro storyline. Humanize the gods, to refuel the necro drive to transcend past them.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 10:22 AM CST
>>'it was a mechanical thing with good flavor text, and was never really fleshed out, so fill in the blanks as you see fit!'.

That's not entirely the case, no. However it is purposefully left vague for players. Lore-wise, characters really don't know the particulars, not even the most ardent scholars. That's entirely intentional, but that doesn't mean that there is no background lore that exists.

What is known ICly for certain is this:

* The Kermorian Immortals, and at least some other gods like those of the Prydaen, accept offerings of short-term memories in exchange for their protection when their worshiper is dead.

* Other gods, like those of the Rakash, seem to provide that protection for entirely different types of offerings.

* Still other gods don't seem interested in providing that sort of protection at all.

* Rumors of other extra-planar beings providing somewhat similar protection exist, though the 'costs' for such are not fully known. The biggest example of this is the conjecture surrounding the Profane Aegis of the Necromancers potentially being provided to them by a demon to which they are all presumed to be enslaved somehow.

Mind you, the reality that nobody on Elanthia seems able to confirm anything more than the above bits hasn't stopped many, many Elanthians from coming up with their own suppositions that they sometimes pass off as facts, though, so your character is free to RP out a belief in anything they might want as far as these things go. They might not even necessarily face horrendous backlash from scholarly society and/or the Temple if it's not too terribly far out of line with the sorts of positive things most folks want to believe about the Immortals and the other gods in general.

-Persida
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 01:11 PM CST

>The Kermorian Immortals, and at least some other gods like those of the Prydaen, accept offerings of short-term memories in exchange for their protection when their worshiper is dead.

Right. My question was as to the extent of the short-term memory loss from these offerings. Is it 'completely forget what you did in the last hour' or 'where did I leave my keys'?
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 05:36 PM CST
>The Kermorian Immortals, and at least some other gods like those of the Prydaen, accept offerings of short-term memories in exchange for their protection when their worshiper is dead.

>Right. My question was as to the extent of the short-term memory loss from these offerings. Is it 'completely forget what you did in the last hour' or 'where did I leave my keys'?

> Arguably they're taking short-term memory (undigested experience), but that's never been set in stone.

One of the things I'm most curious about is how literally to take the words "short-term memories?" Is that an OOC term used to describe stuff in the exp pool that has not yet drained (similar to how ranks describe a character's skill level, or stat points indicate how strong she is)? Or is it meant to be taken literally, as in, I rubbed an orb and now I do not remember what I had been doing recently (including conversations held, feelings and thoughts experienced by the character while performing exp gaining actions that are offered in an orb)?

Game mechanics (including messaging from cleric spells, departs and the types of actions that allow one to gain exp for sacrifice) seem to offer a variety of interpretations.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 07:20 PM CST
>>Right. My question was as to the extent of the short-term memory loss from these offerings. Is it 'completely forget what you did in the last hour' or 'where did I leave my keys'?

>>One of the things I'm most curious about is how literally to take the words "short-term memories?" Is that an OOC term used to describe stuff in the exp pool that has not yet drained (similar to how ranks describe a character's skill level, or stat points indicate how strong she is)? Or is it meant to be taken literally, as in, I rubbed an orb and now I do not remember what I had been doing recently (including conversations held, feelings and thoughts experienced by the character while performing exp gaining actions that are offered in an orb)?

We aren't going to come after anyone for playing it whatever way they'd prefer, so we're really starting to get down to quibbling details, here. I totally understand being interested in quibbling details, though!

You can think of it this way: your character isn't going to forget where they put their keys, since 'where I put my keys' isn't within the set of experiences that the Immortals seem interested in. They only take the short term memories related to the skills you had field exp in, not the conversations you had (unless you were learning about something in a class) or any mundane other bits of things you might have been thinking about. They just don't care about those things, that's why you need actual field exp to fill the orbs instead of just being able to think real hard about that cool butterfly you saw while you were eating breakfast last week and fill them up. It's similar to how the Prydaen gods only take exp in certain skills for their orbs -- they only take what interests them (in as much as you can quantify Their Interest).

-Persida
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 07:33 PM CST

Whoa. So in the context of non-Adventurer Elanthians gaining Favors, would this be something that only someone training 'skills of note' be able to do? Like, I can kind of understand that the Immortals have tired of the memories of FarmerBob or HorseShoeMakingBlackSmithJoe, but perhaps it says something that the memories of MonsterSlayerSam are interesting to them? The memories of 'people of note', perhaps those whose actions may affect history, are more useful than the memories of people who are just numbers in the history books? Would for example, a Prydaen that crossed rivers and mountains (trained Athletics) to escape Lyras be able to fill a Favor orb?

#AllTheQuibbles

Elanthia does not appear to be a very egalitarian place to be!
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/03/2018 08:20 PM CST
The most artistic way I've seen memory loss RP handled (in a D&D game and a Mage game, respectively) is making it completely opaque part of the character's personal history.

Storyteller: "The Death Lord subtly touches your mind, rearranges things and withdraws its payment of memories."
Me: "I focus on my past and try to feel out any obvious holes in my memory."
Storyteller: "There are none. Everything you, the player, knew about your character you still know."
Me: "...so it's so pervasive that I literally don't even know what was taken."
Storyteller: "Yup."

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/04/2018 02:40 AM CST

You rub the lamp and the genie materializes.
"And for your third wish?"
"Third? I've wished before?"
"Yes. Your last wish was to forget."
"Huh. Well, I guess my last wish will be to remember."
"Funny, that was your first wish."

I understand that our characters might not know the specifics of the extent of the memories taken, only that the immortals want memories, the orbs convey them, and the exchange produces results. But that the memory cost is in field experience, the process takes a slightly different twist, given that it's taking learning or surface memories. Things not yet committed to long term memory.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/04/2018 07:22 AM CST
>>Elanthia does not appear to be a very egalitarian place to be!

Most people in Elanthia in fact do not have favors at all, you are correct. This is one of the many reasons that the great masses of the lands tend to be both terrified of, and in awe of, Adventurers. It's also one of the reasons why wars and disasters and diseases are actually a big deal lore-wise -- most folks do not come back. They live one time, they die one time. This isn't because these people are just too lazy or stupid to try and gain favors.

Most of the masses of Elanthia:

* live too far away to 'safely' take the treks to places that give favor orbs. They aren't trained and may never survive the journey.

* don't seem to be able to fill the favor orbs if they manage to gain one. Does this mean the Immortals don't care about that type of memory? Maybe. Does this mean that the Immortals don't care to bring back the average person? Absolutely. Does anyone ICly know for sure why this happens this way? No, but being religion, people have their stories and theories and beliefs, certainly.

* still pray and give their own types of offerings to the Immortals anyway, for a variety of reasons all related to trying to convince the Immortals to care about and do nice things for them, up to and including bringing them back if they die. It's just not a reliable transaction the way that favor orbs are for Adventurers. Sometimes a member of the greater masses has their prayers answered in a way that is undeniably the work of an Immortal, but a lot of times, it's not so easy to say if they were answered or not.

-Persida
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/04/2018 08:21 AM CST
How dangerous a place is Elanthia for the non-adventurer?

Would a person living in Crossing look at going to Arthe Dale as a really big deal? Riverhaven? Muspar'i?

Mazrian
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/04/2018 11:55 AM CST
>How dangerous a place is Elanthia for the non-adventurer?

>Would a person living in Crossing look at going to Arthe Dale as a really big deal? Riverhaven? Muspar'i?

Extraordinarily dangerous. Large swaths of the world (like the Blasted Plains) are just plain unmapped and a peasant wouldn't have a map (or at least not a good one) to begin with. As players we know that creatures don't venture beyond the invisible borders of their respective hunting grounds but that wouldn't be the case if you were actually living in Elanthia. A shipyard rat would probably be beyond their abilties to defend against or flee from. Even traveling the Trade Routes would be dangerous for peasants: roads funnel food/marks to monsters/highwaymen.

Then there's the distance. If you look at the zone map on elanthipedia, each zone is roughly 100 square miles. If you walked 3 miles an hour and traveled by daylight you'd probably be averaging 20 miles a day given that you'd still need time to prepare meals and find a safe-ish place to make camp for the night. Pretty brutal on foot considering the peasant is going to be barefoot or wearing terrible shoes. Crossing to Riverhaven would take ~10 days at this speed. Crossing to Shard would be almost a month on the road and also require cold weather clothing or you'd freeze to death crossing the mountains if snowbeasts, gargoyles or avalanches didn't get you first.

That's not even taking into account Adventurers and the dangers they'd pose to any peasants they came across.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/06/2018 03:17 PM CST
I'd also add to the list magical favors like those provided by items called favor savers. However they work they appear to perform the same function as immortals favors or even demonic assistance without requiring any attention be paid to any entity (Immortal or demon) providing the service behind the scenes. They simply have an extended cooldown to recharge, from what we may never know.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 10:04 AM CST
I have never thought it was memories that we give up. I thought it was the energy, or the force, if you will, from the actions we take to gain the skills. Like when we forage, we gain skill translate to energy, put it into the orbs in appreciation of the gods for what they give us. I guess I was thinking along the lines of the effort it takes to gain skill.

Vykanthiss

Today's the Day!!
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 11:12 AM CST
The fact that we're giving up the experience means that retroactively, the action that generated the experience was done for no other purpose than to propitiate the god. So it's kind of like saying, "I dedicate this act to Faenella."
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 02:20 PM CST
Can one retroactively dedicate something? Like, 'that hamburger I ate last week, that was for Jesus'? How mutable are favors? Can I retroactively claim I prepared a favor orb whilst dead on my back?
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 02:20 PM CST
That post mostly being in jest.
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 03:58 PM CST
> Can one retroactively dedicate something? Like, 'that hamburger I ate last week, that was for Jesus'? How mutable are favors? Can I retroactively claim I prepared a favor orb whilst dead on my back?

Is it a god of hindsight or procrastination?
Re: Lore Question Regarding Favors 03/07/2018 06:45 PM CST

The God of Regrets accepts your... regret... and regrets to inform you that you will not be saved from the Red Spiral.