On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 04:08 PM CDT
I returned after 10 years away, and I love many-most of the changes.

The one I don't like -- the one that I believe severely impacts the game negatively (but perhaps not cash flow, which I realize is important) -- is that there is no risk to dying. It's just an inconvenience.

War between two players? Who cares? They can carry it on forever, and both of them risk nothing except baubles and plats. Those of us in the gweth-o-sphere get to listen to them talk about how mighty they are, but really, nothing of consequence is forthcoming.

It's like the duel scene in Pirates of the Caribbean when neither Jack nor Barbosa can die. Who the flip cares? Until suddenly somebody actually can die...

And what of clerics? They're not REALLY needed, are they? Collect three favors and depart. You lose some mems, but not enough to do any real damage.

This thread was inspired by seeing an alley thug walk the starry road, and maybe it's been covered in depth previously, but it seems to me that death...isn't.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 05:30 PM CDT

> And what of clerics? They're not REALLY needed, are they? Collect three favors and depart.

Resurrection is the only way to keep those hard to find spell scrolls from disappearing when you die. It also translates into more experience from restored field experience, reduced death sting, and not needing to fill another favor orb. That translates into time.

> It's like the duel scene in Pirates of the Caribbean when neither Jack nor Barbosa can die.

It always was. Unless you're talking about the starry road, but who really liked watching this thing that you've spent 10,000 hours on suddenly evaporate into nothingness. There may have been a risk, but the most likely outcome would be someone just walking away from the game.

> This thread was inspired by seeing an alley thug walk the starry road, and maybe it's been covered in depth previously, but it seems to me that death...isn't.

I wouldn't mind some additional death penalties, but loosing altered/fest/quest gear or walking the starry road isn't one of them.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 05:59 PM CDT
<<War between two players? Who cares? They can carry it on forever, and both of them risk nothing except baubles and plats. Those of us in the gweth-o-sphere get to listen to them talk about how mighty they are, but really, nothing of consequence is forthcoming.

Genie substitutes to mask content for gweth and speech:
#subs {(You hear the ghostly voice of |)(Hnot|Fahijeck|Cayra|Elabela|Lazzo|Sepherus|Sepharus|Zehira|Aayveia|Mysterys|Netherlich|Maelpais|Crofic|Yamott|Azaylia|Aftermath|Jondong|Cibym|Addalyn|Zamn|Khras|Qorn|Vyras|Munchausen|Kleigh|Pormithius)(.)(say|whisper|think|exclaim|ask|smiles)(.)} {$2 was squelched.} {charactersquelch}

#subs {\[(Hnot|Fahijeck|Cayra|Elabela|Lazzo|Sepherus|Sepharus|Zehira|Aayveia|Mysterys|Netherlich|Maelpais|Crofic|Yamott|Azaylia|Aftermath|Jondong|Cibym|Addalyn|Zamn|Khras|Qorn|Vyras|Munchausen|Kleigh|Pormithius)\](.*)} {[$1] was squelched.} {charactersquelch}

Complete gagging of speech:
#gag {(You hear the ghostly voice of |)(Elabela)(.)(say|whisper|think|exclaim|ask|smiles)(.)} {charactersquelch}

You're welcome.

P.S. The forums are parsing the regex as bold text, so if you want to use these click on reply and cut and paste from there rather than the post with the bolded text.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 06:23 PM CDT
>>Unless you're talking about the starry road, but who really liked watching this thing that you've spent 10,000 hours on suddenly evaporate into nothingness. There may have been a risk, but the most likely outcome would be someone just walking away from the game.

I imagine he was talking about the starry road, but even then, the only people who walked were those who chose to and then would complain about it being a bad decision.

It's a common problem in MUDs that PC's don't fear death because it often has no real sting. (I.E. perm loss of stats, gear, total character loss, etc). This lack of sting is commonplace because GMs rightfully assume that players will leave over the frustration of losing such things.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 06:52 PM CDT
>War between two players? Who cares? They can carry it on forever, and both of them risk nothing except baubles and plats. Those of us in the gweth-o-sphere get to listen to them talk about how mighty they are, but really, nothing of consequence is forthcoming.

The low-budget soap opera battles seemed just as frequent and unending when we had permadeth.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/05/2016 08:11 PM CDT
Nothing has changed with Death. No one ever walked unless they wanted to.. or were brand new and didn't know any better.

In a game -- focus on that word 'GAME' -- where you can literally log out until there is a better time for you to get help... there is no fear of death. At most it is an inconvenience.

That is why in most successful games, death is just that, an emphasized inconvenience that is meant to remind you to play better/smarter/more careful/etc. It isn't there to make you hate the game and walk away.

I still say graverobbing needs to be removed and item loss in general... but we already saw a lot of QQ over how that would be too much carebear.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/06/2016 10:29 AM CDT
>>And what of clerics? They're not REALLY needed, are they? Collect three favors and depart. You lose some mems, but not enough to do any real damage.

Clerics (and Empaths!) got better things to do these days.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/06/2016 06:30 PM CDT

Lol i got muted by someone i dont even know.

Today is a proud day
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/06/2016 06:36 PM CDT

I do however, feel it somewhat cheapened that you included elabela
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/06/2016 06:40 PM CDT

I like how he included Cibym, the guy that hasn't gwethed since last year. That's how mad he was.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/06/2016 07:30 PM CDT
>>I like how he included Cibym, the guy that hasn't gwethed since last year. That's how mad he was.

Why would you put the effort into removing someone from a blocklist just because they left the game.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: On Death and Not Dying ::Nudge:: 07/06/2016 08:20 PM CDT

Back on topic, the topic is death and not dying, not who's on the squelch strings.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/13/2016 11:20 PM CDT
> It's like the duel scene in Pirates of the Caribbean when neither Jack nor Barbosa can die. Who the flip cares? Until suddenly somebody actually can die...

You mean the fantastic sword fight that ranges all through a cave full of treasure where they keep turning into skeletons every time they pass through moonlight while maintaining banter? Gosh, yeah, I was bored, that sure didn't stick with me.
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/14/2016 07:35 AM CDT

> You mean the fantastic sword fight that ranges all through a cave full of treasure where they keep turning into skeletons every time they pass through moonlight while maintaining banter? Gosh, yeah, I was bored, that sure didn't stick with me.

To be fair, that was a great fight because it was novel. By time we reached the third movie, and we see them sword fighting for more than 15 minutes, it did get boring to watch. Maybe more fun to perform, but boring to watch (imo).
Re: On Death and Not Dying 07/15/2016 01:28 PM CDT
Haven't used gweths in months absolon, but im glad im on your list :P as to who you play, does anyone care? I think not.

-Munch-