Death and Taxes 04/20/2013 11:37 PM CDT
Hiya folks!

I've made a few changes to what happens to field exp and scrolls when a character dies. Upon death, it will still look as though all is lost, but if you are brought back to life through Resurrection, Murrula's Flames, or Spiteful Rebirth then you will gain back a percentage of lost field exp, and have a chance at remembering lost scrolls.

For Resurrection there is a boost to both the exp gain and the spell scroll percentage based on the number of favors you have. The bonus does cap out, though not until you reach a fairly healthy number of favors. Yet again, a good reason to carry a bunch of favors. The skill of the cleric will not matter for this particular boon.

MF has a slightly better set of percentages, and the range it provides is based on the potency of the cast. Prior to this update MF did not use a potency score and would always split potency values into duration and integrity.

SRE for now has a set percentage of exp saved, as well as chance for scroll saving. Special thanks to GM Abasha for the messaging SRE uses during this process.

This is live in Plat and Prime, and will move on over to TF assuming it doesn't explode.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 01:08 AM CDT
I really like the changes. Thanks.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 02:20 AM CDT
I don't see anything about taxes.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 07:02 AM CDT
I haven't tested anything in game, but I love these in concept and glad they have some light in the game.

Raist don't be silly, its about the taxes that Death causes, now you don't have to pay up as much, and get more favors is more of a good thing.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 12:35 PM CDT

Awesome. Thank you for the new changes!

Furthermore.. would it, er.. be possible for the cleric to somehow perceive what the actual chances are of bringing them back with a scroll spell and their field experience? Maybe when you perceive the corpse showing how many favors they have, it'll also pull an appraisal check so you get "You are confident/certain (etc) that <name> will retain one scroll spell and a small percentage of their knowledge before death if resurrected.", etc.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 01:52 PM CDT
>>be possible for the cleric to somehow perceive what the actual chances are of bringing them back with a scroll spell and their field experience?

Well, a few things to clarify. Exp saving will always happen, there isn't a chance of it not happening, just a percentage of how much (Unless you take more than 24 hours to get back alive, I'm not keeping the data around longer than that). The percentage for now isn't a lot (although the highest end potency of MF isn't too bad), but is enough to let skills keep moving while you're resting up and getting ready to get back out there. We also have some room to grow with new abilities/items that could provide a better percentage of exp recovery.

For things like this, I'd rather have the possibilities obfuscated. If you keep a lot of favors, you'll notice better exp saving and more often restored scrolls over multiple deaths, if not you'll still get some exp and have a chance. On a death by death basis, knowing what percentage chance you have for that one shot doesn't help that much since there will always be a chance that one or both memorized scrolls will not return.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 02:33 PM CDT

>>For things like this, I'd rather have the possibilities obfuscated.

Fair enough. I was just thinking specifically in regards to invasions.. assuming they happen more often, and we have a lot more dead people. A fair share of the clerics, at least on the higher end, are often out there in battle, while the younger clerics are the ones staying in key areas to rejuv and resurrect the dead. Now EVERYONE (or at least most) will be wanting to be raised instead of getting a rejuv and departing. This will cause a lot of backups, and the young clerics will likely get flak for being "slow", especially for those that are not keeping high favors. So being able to appraise to see a meager/minor/small/fair/decent/half field experience rating and an appraisal rate of chance of scroll being kept would perhaps give the edge. But, I guess at the end of the day, the dead person wouldn't care if it was meager or half, it's still more than one and will sit there and wait.

On the upside, hopefully this will encourage people to get more favors so that raising is not as difficult for the youngins. People are still running around between favorless and two favors, and getting an attitude when they aren't getting raised..
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 03:31 PM CDT
I am hoping a change to how clerics perceive favors happens. I would like to see a longer range. I think now once you get 6 or more its just many.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 04:04 PM CDT
>If you keep a lot of favors, you'll notice better exp saving and more often restored scrolls over multiple deaths

I assume this 'lot' is relative to circle like death's sting/Resurrection difficulty?
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 04:14 PM CDT
>>I am hoping a change to how clerics perceive favors happens. I would like to see a longer range. I think now once you get 6 or more its just many.

Also maybe more titles for having a ton of favors.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 04:19 PM CDT
Perhaps maybe the number of favors aren't the factor for each of the vague messages, but maybe a rato of favor to circle. Say a circle 10 has 5 favors. thats every 2 circles he has 1 favor, then that many, but if say circle 200 has 10 favors, he has few. That help the cleric determine how hard someone will be to raise, and perhaps a guess to their chances of retaining scrolls.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 04:21 PM CDT
>>I assume this 'lot' is relative to circle like death's sting/Resurrection difficulty?

Nope, I have it set as a static amount.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 04:30 PM CDT
Nice changes. Puts some importance back into resurrection.

Madigan

You sense the Clarity spell upon you, which will last for about seven thousand eight hundred thirty-six roisaen.
You sense the Anti-Stun spell upon you, which will last for about seven thousand eight hundred thirty-five roisaen.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/21/2013 10:20 PM CDT
>>I am hoping a change to how clerics perceive favors happens. I would like to see a longer range. I think now once you get 6 or more its just many.

I'd like this.

>>Nice changes. Puts some importance back into resurrection.

Totally agreed.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/22/2013 10:12 AM CDT
Not sure if it is a bug or not. I departed Item last night with a lot of experience and for some reason I still had full had a full pool ( mind lock ) in shield after departing.

- Erixx
Re: Death and Taxes 04/22/2013 10:37 AM CDT
>>Not sure if it is a bug or not.

Yep, a bug. I think I found where that could happen, and it should be fixed now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 04/23/2013 07:30 PM CDT
I love you. No more 'MYGAWDWHATAFREAK' looks when I tell or someone finds out I have 65 favors.

Say, if you could elaborate (I'm sure you can't but i'll still ask) is it possible to get 100% exp/scroll retention?

If not, what is the maximum chance?

Could you say at how many favors this is achieved?
Re: Death and Taxes 04/24/2013 12:54 AM CDT
>>is it possible to get 100% exp/scroll retention?

Nope.

>>what is the maximum chance?

It's pretty good.

>>Could you say at how many favors this is achieved?

Less than 65. (Much less) I'm sure someone is going to want to figure this out on their own, it won't be too hard.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 04/24/2013 06:04 PM CDT
To throw out a data point, I died 4/23 with 1 scroll memorized. I had 27 favors in the tank and kept my scroll spell upon raise.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/24/2013 07:08 PM CDT

Say, how does this apply to those of us with the improved memory and 2 memmed scrolls thing?

Do we have an equal chance to save either scroll?

Less chance to save the second scroll?

Less chance to save the second scroll if the first one was successfully saved?

I don't die a lot, but I am curious.
Re: Death and Taxes 04/24/2013 07:22 PM CDT
>>Do we have an equal chance to save either scroll?

Yep, each scroll that is lost on death gets an equal roll to be remembered again.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Death and Taxes 07/30/2013 11:38 PM CDT
Just to make sure everything is working over in Plat, you still get the message that you lose the spell upon death, despite still having a chance to remember it back when you wake back up via SRE/Ress/etc?

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Death and Taxes 07/31/2013 03:34 AM CDT
Yep, and the messaging if you happen to piece the knowledge back together when you get back alive should make sense for it to be that way.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate