depart scars/wounds 10/29/2012 11:38 PM CDT
I know that there are about a billion ways to avoid having to deal with death wounds, but it would be nice if they're capped/adjusted to a pre-not-able-to-get-stuff-from-your-own-grave level.

Gotta say it's pretty frustrating to not be able to get stuff out of your own grave because of death scars.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 05:02 AM CDT
Odd. I haven't had death scars in years. Of course it's been a while since I've had a character die, but I thought death wounds and death scars were removed a long time ago by the GM's.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 07:26 AM CDT
How often are people departing favorless these days? Hah.

I'm sure it's a very limited situation, and I have no issues with death scars in general, but not being able to pick up my own stuff... yeesh.

Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 09:12 AM CDT
>>I'm sure it's a very limited situation, and I have no issues with death scars in general, but not being able to pick up my own stuff... yeesh.

Yeah, you have to be prepared for it. Be ready to CONSENT others to feed you herbs and/or take your things from your grave, have an empath on hand, or try not wearing or carrying anything.

If I recall correctly, someone can hand you your items and you can still accept them. I haven't yet gotten totally destroyed by Chicken; I'll know then.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 09:26 AM CDT
>>Be ready to CONSENT others to feed you herbs and/or take your things from your grave, have an empath on hand

In some instances of the game this just isn't viable at all.

I just outright disagree with the notion that you literally can't pick anything up, especially in the context of your own grave.

>>try not wearing or carrying anything.

lol, what.

Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 09:49 AM CDT
>>try not wearing or carrying anything.

>lol, what.

In some contexts this does actually make sense. I've often played Chicken naked for precisely this reason. Or I wear one or two things that can easily be handed off.

Or if you're a Necro you could presumably safely store all your items then run into town naked and/or carrying plain storebought stuff for your mini invasion of doom.

Overall though, I agree with you. In fact, I don't really like that you can lose items, period. I never understood why the graverobbing mechanic even existed, nor why graves were any different from the classic 'Return to spot X and suddenly you're wearing your things again.'

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 10:05 AM CDT
>>Overall though, I agree with you. In fact, I don't really like that you can lose items, period. I never understood why the graverobbing mechanic even existed, nor why graves were any different from the classic 'Return to spot X and suddenly you're wearing your things again.'

Potential loss emphasizes importance. In this case, don't be lazy and get some favors.

I preferred it when you could still Walk.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 10:12 AM CDT
>Overall though, I agree with you. In fact, I don't really like that you can lose items, period. I never understood why the graverobbing mechanic even existed, nor why graves were any different from the classic 'Return to spot X and suddenly you're wearing your things again.'

One of the things that I really liked about DR at first was that death really meant something. you didn't just get to automatically respawn. The graverobbing mechanics helped with that feeling. You better get there, or your stuff might go away. Combined with player stealing, and walking the starry road, graverobbing helped make the world feel actually dangerous.

The game has changed over time, as well as the expectations of the players. I agree that this is probably a no longer needed mechanic. I think it'd be nice if you got an automatic "glyph of warding" style item bundle on depart.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 10:19 AM CDT
>>In this case, don't be lazy and get some favors.

Most necros find that difficult.

~The Prydaen~
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 11:28 AM CDT
>>Or if you're a Necro you could presumably safely store all your items

I agree in theory, but then I realize I carry 250+ items normally and that's more than my vault would hold completely clear.

>>Potential loss emphasizes importance. In this case, don't be lazy and get some favors.

Potential loss is different than definite absolute loss. I feel that item loss is generally stupid, anyway, especially with the increase in pay-for-play items. Otherwise we're back to treating most nice items as vault food.

>>One of the things that I really liked about DR at first was that death really meant something. you didn't just get to automatically respawn. The graverobbing mechanics helped with that feeling. You better get there, or your stuff might go away. Combined with player stealing, and walking the starry road, graverobbing helped make the world feel actually dangerous.

You'll notice my complaint wasn't about grave robbing mechanics or losing your stuff in general (although I have opinons on them, but I know it isn't going to really change anytime soon), but the blanket inability to pick anything up. It's excessive. Mindblast and Tingle were explicitly changed in 3.0 to prevent those kinds of "woops, can't hold onto/pick up your stuff" situations.

Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 12:12 PM CDT
One I think that dying without favors should suck.

That being said I am also of the opinion that getting away from 'vault food' items is an example of what TO DO.

Thus while I am not against death scars and what not, I would have to agree, that there should be some means to get your items.

Thus, my request is for other penalties to be compounded onto characters in lieu of further scarring.

Perhaps have a 'room' where the player departs to, where the soul and body fight to return to each other (the more into death sting the longer the wait, sorry again I think Death without Favors should SUCK).

While death without favor should suck, I'm for increased safeties with regard to Graves.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 12:32 PM CDT
>You'll notice my complaint wasn't about grave robbing mechanics or losing your stuff in general (although I have opinons on them, but I know it isn't going to really change anytime soon), but the blanket inability to pick anything up. It's excessive.

Absolutely. I agree 100% with that point.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 07:56 PM CDT

I dont understand, if your a necro, use consume on something, if your not a necro, find an empath or an auto-path.

That said... I do agree that there should be a cap to allow you use of your hands to dig/get stuff from your grave.

Actually just had a favorless depart myself. Scary.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 08:40 PM CDT
>I dont understand, if your a necro, use consume on something, if your not a necro, find an empath or an auto-path.

I believe the issue is: die, depart, have horrible scars.

Then if we must go use consume, we have to leave our grave unattended while hunting and healing etc. rather than..digging it up and taking our stuff then healing, thus ensuring no lost items.

The complaint isn't about the scars, but about the 'cannot pick up' level of scars penalty.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/30/2012 11:14 PM CDT
>>I dont understand, if your a necro, use consume on something, if your not a necro, find an empath or an auto-path.

>>That said... I do agree that there should be a cap to allow you use of your hands to dig/get stuff from your grave.

It sounds like you do understand, hah.

Re: depart scars/wounds 10/31/2012 12:00 PM CDT
Departing without favors perhaps should have a mandatory double experience loss. You failed to give up experience to an orb, therefore you pay for it on the backend. Then remove wounds entirely? Or cap them, but it makes sense IC to me that if you depart with no favors the experience penalty should be greater. The God's need their pound of flesh, otherwise you walk. :)

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: depart scars/wounds 10/31/2012 01:21 PM CDT
>>Departing without favors perhaps should have a mandatory double experience loss.

I don't think double exp loss for Necros is all that reasonable. :P

This also has nothing to do with wounds from departing being so severe at times that you can't pick up your own stuff.

Honestly, I'm against wounds that make it so you can't pick up stuff in general. I'd rather wounds at that point disable you from having the stuff you hold actually do a tool. So it's not that you can't pick up your sword, you can't swing it. You can pick up your hammer, but you can't forge with it. Etc.