Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 01:56 PM CDT
I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on if the message about someone dying is considered OOC or not. I know it's pretty convenient for everyone to be alerted so that you can be rescued but how do you RP your characters knowing that someone died.

I know my butt has been saved many times by people coming to help when I die, so I'm grateful that other players have been able to know. However, since I've been playing a necro here and there, I've been wondering about this. I honestly don't know how I'd react as a player if I was outed by a MM spying in on me or someone came to the rescue when I died. If the message that I died is OOC, then how would the other character know I died? If the message is IC, then how is it we are notified of the death? The necro system is one designed for the necros to eventually get caught, so I would be OK with getting outed this way if they had an IC reason to look in on my death. So, I'm looking to see how people see the death messages RP-wise.... thoughts?
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 02:16 PM CDT
>>Jadehunter: I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on if the message about someone dying is considered OOC or not. I know it's pretty convenient for everyone to be alerted so that you can be rescued but how do you RP your characters knowing that someone died.

I treat the global death notices as OOC, just like the log-in and log-out notices. (Not everything on your screen is IC information.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 02:49 PM CDT

I always treated them as a fast-moving rumor system of sorts. Much like how we cant see any of the 'common folk' in all the cities and towns and whatnot, I decided long ago to treat the death messages as a form of overhearing about so-and-so hearing that someone saw JoeMighty fall over dead while fighting a horde. Its an OOC mechanic, but I dont see much reason to shun it when you could easily justify its relevance. Doesnt hurt that time goes much faster in DR so you could stretch that to provide the time/means for the rumor system I guess.

-O
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 04:33 PM CDT
I seem to remember Armifer once talking about the walking messaging as being an IC type thing (though that's not necessarily the same thing).

That being said, I've always used death messaging as information my character would know.
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 07:09 PM CDT
I treat them as IC. Kind of like the The Hunger Games flashing an image across the sky, except instead of it being the game makers, it's the gods putting their name in lights. I can't otherwise justify the immediate gwething that goes on "Anybody got eyes on Deadbody?" "Can I get a moonmage to locate Wormfood?" and "Overhunter was in fendryads, can we get a rescue team to the bin?"

If death is supposed to be OOC, then... ugh.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/14/2012 07:29 PM CDT

Awesome points all around. It would stink if our players didn't know that's for sure!
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/15/2012 01:27 AM CDT
Considering it's been outright said that the god smiting messaging is completely IC, I don't think it's a stretch to say I think the death message is IC.

Whether it's rumors, or just an unexplicable feeling we get, it just is.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Death messaging OOC or IC? 08/15/2012 12:19 PM CDT

"Whether it's rumors, or just an unexplicable feeling we get, it just is."

Exactly- it is a reality within the DR universe.