Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 07:27 AM CDT
Is there no way to make it easier to fill favor orbs?
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 07:50 AM CDT
<<Is there no way to make it easier to fill favor orbs?

The higher the skills feeding the favor orb the easier it is. As you may have noticed, the more favors you already have, the harder it is to fill the orb. Finding a good place to strike that balance is usually a good start.

Also carrying a couple of orbs with you while hunting and occasionally dumping some field experience into them will make the whole process much less painful on the whole.
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 07:59 AM CDT
> The higher the skills feeding the favor orb the easier it is.

Ok, what?

As a general rule I always load up a new character with 10 favors bare minimum and try to maintain at least that minimum for the life of the character, but I've always hated the excruciating pain of replacing lost favors down the road. Just wish filling orbs wasn't so darned taxing.
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 08:10 AM CDT
<<As a general rule I always load up a new character with 10 favors bare minimum and try to maintain at least that minimum for the life of the character, but I've always hated the excruciating pain of replacing lost favors down the road. Just wish filling orbs wasn't so darned taxing.

The higher the skill(s) you're using to feed an orb, the easier it is. The orbs are fed with "bits" which are the underpinnings of our skills. Bits get exponentially higher as your skills go up, making the task of filling an orb easier the higher the skill you're using to feed it is. With skills under 100 ranks it's going to be extremely difficult to get higher than 15 favors because you simply can't supply enough bits without putting forth a huge effort.

Carrying orbs while hunting and rubbing them every once in a while to skim field experience is my preferred method, although I've been known to completely drain my field experience into favor orbs before certain activities as well.
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 09:31 AM CDT
If I'm getting what the OP is asking right, I'm all for a way to just fill up an orb without rubbing X times. It would be nice if someone could just FOCUS orb to dump as much as they need to into the orb in one action.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 11:19 AM CDT
> The higher the skill(s) you're using to feed an orb, the easier it is. The orbs are fed with "bits" which are the underpinnings of our skills. Bits get exponentially higher as your skills go up, making the task of filling an orb easier the higher the skill you're using to feed it is. With skills under 100 ranks it's going to be extremely difficult to get higher than 15 favors because you simply can't supply enough bits without putting forth a huge effort.

Ok, a little fact I didn't know, and nice to know - thanks
Re: Favor Orbs 04/23/2012 11:32 AM CDT
>>It would be nice if someone could just FOCUS orb to dump as much as they need to into the orb in one action.

I will look into this.

GM Grejuva
Re: Favor Orbs 05/17/2012 03:45 PM CDT
>>The higher the skill(s) you're using to feed an orb, the easier it is. The orbs are fed with "bits" which are the underpinnings of our skills. Bits get exponentially higher as your skills go up, making the task of filling an orb easier the higher the skill you're using to feed it is. With skills under 100 ranks it's going to be extremely difficult to get higher than 15 favors because you simply can't supply enough bits without putting forth a huge effort.

Hey Lee you sure you're thinking about this right, I could be confused though. Orbs feed from your unabsorbed experience pool (obviously). I know the higher a skill is the more bits it takes to obtain the rank, but this does not effect your unabsorbed experience pool size correct? (Only stats affect how much you can hold in your unabsorbed pool?)

That's why at super low ranks, 34/34 can obtain you multiple ranks, but higher you get much much less % of a rank.

For the OP - As Lee stated, the easiest\quickest way to currently fill orbs is to get as many skills moving as you can (like in combat) and then rub the orb. This works faster because the orb will pull from all skills simultaneously effectively multiplying the amount it is taking in per rub.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Favor Orbs 05/17/2012 03:54 PM CDT
>>I know the higher a skill is the more bits it takes to obtain the rank, but this does not effect your unabsorbed experience pool size correct? (Only stats affect how much you can hold in your unabsorbed pool?)

Incorrect. However the growth in pool size due to ranks, and growth in bits to rank are not equal.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Favor Orbs 05/17/2012 11:56 PM CDT

>>(Only stats affect how much you can hold in your unabsorbed pool?)

Ranks in a skill definitely increase the pool size for that skill. In fact, I'd guess that outside of skillset placement, its the biggest factor in pool size for any skill.
Re: Favor Orbs 05/18/2012 06:35 PM CDT
>>Incorrect. However the growth in pool size due to ranks, and growth in bits to rank are not equal.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense, I probably read this before but my memory is not the greatest.

>>Ranks in a skill definitely increase the pool size for that skill. In fact, I'd guess that outside of skillset placement, its the biggest factor in pool size for any skill.

I did say I do know ranks affect the size of your skill pool, GMs came right out and said this. My question was whether it affeced your "Unabsorbed" experience. (Only clarifying because you didn't specify which you were talking about).

Thanks for the responses.

So here is a stupid question, I have never tested this. But since we are saying ranks DO affect the size of your unabsorbed experience pool. When you rank a skill, your experience should go down more than on a normal pulse. Which I have never seen (and never even looked for) but maybe the increase is so small it wouldn't really register.

So for example, if you have 34/34 in your unabsorbed exp pool. Using easy numbers let's just assume your unabsorbed experience pool is 340 bits, and every normal pulse you get 10 bits of that pool absorbed. So a normal pulse would put you at 33/34. Now let's also assume when you rank the skill, your new larger pool is now 350 bits. So now your at 330 bits in a 350 pool. That would put you at 32/34. So your last pulse would take your mindset down further but only because your unabsorbed experience pool got bigger.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons