Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 10:26 AM CDT
Here's how I understood it: When you die, your memories start to decay, translation: all your ranks in skills slowly decay away down to zero. If you don't have a cleric repair your memories, if you die you loose all your memories that have decayed away when you depart, or auto-depart. If you had 150 ranks in a skill and you decay to the point that half your ranks are gone, when you depart instead of 150 ranks in a skill you might have half that, or about 75 ranks. This damage to experience/ranks is permanent that can only be recovered through retraining.

This is what I've always believed.

However after a recent discussion I'm told that in fact damage to ranks are not permanent, but temporary, that no matter how much in ranks you loose on departing, eventually, with time your ranks will return without need to retrain and this is death's sting?

Which is true?
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 10:45 AM CDT
The loss is permanent. However there is also a Death's Sting which gives you a temporary penalty to your stats and THAT part will go away at a rate that is affected by how many favors in relation to your circle.

-Vorofilum
If you have questions or comments, please email me at (Mod-Vorofilum@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 10:52 AM CDT
Your ranks do not decay all the way to 0. I'm not sure of the cap because I have never really wanted to test it. But in all reality your soul will lose bonding with your body long before you hit zero ranks. This would actually be an odd thing to test: if you keep the soul bonded, kept the spirit from decaying, but didn't protect mems could you get someone all the way to 0 ranks?

As for the memory loss. The mems you do lose are only able to be retrieved via training. If you depart without a cleric restoring your mems you are in fact taking a hit. If you depart right away, the hit is very minimal. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if you don't lose more field exp getting the 10th favor than you do just departing every time.

Death's sting I believe refers to two things... the 10% lost to stats and an overall "penalty" to doing anything. This sting is based on the ratio of the number of favors you have when you die and your circle. The goal being around 1 favor per 10 circles. This penalty to stats and "all" is temporary and does go away with time. You even get a message about it.

Elanthipedia explains more.

Hopefully I'm not giving bad info.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 10:57 AM CDT
Ok glad I had that cleared up, or I would've ended up making a serious mistake down the road with a necromancer. I know, a necromancer can't be helped by a cleric and with my understanding of death my thinking was if I died, departing one way or another ASAP is important whether you're a necromancer or not, to suffer the least amount of loss. I was told not to worry too much about hurrying a depart and that confused me. And no, he didn't know I was/had/have a necromancer.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 11:26 AM CDT
<<If you don't have a cleric repair your memories, if you die you loose all your memories that have decayed away when you depart, or auto-depart. If you had 150 ranks in a skill and you decay to the point that half your ranks are gone, when you depart instead of 150 ranks in a skill you might have half that, or about 75 ranks.

Its nowhere near as large as this. Your rank determines the cap on how much you lose in that skill, and the number of ranks you actually lose is based on that maximum potential lost if you decayed fully. For example, if you would normally lose .54% in a skill if you decayed fully, but departed when you had decayed 50% you will end up losing .27% of a rank in that skill.

<<I know, a necromancer can't be helped by a cleric and with my understanding of death my thinking was if I died, departing one way or another ASAP is important whether you're a necromancer or not, to suffer the least amount of loss. I was told not to worry too much about hurrying a depart and that confused me. And no, he didn't know I was/had/have a necromancer.

For your first 20 circles or so, if you're careful about casting DO spells sparingly, and are willing to take the risk of a potential outing, a cleric can help you. I don't recommend it, but it is possible. Once you get Spiteful Rebirth, which can happen at 20th at the earliest, you will no longer need the memory service of the clerics. Even before that spell, however, the memory loss from a quick depart is negligible at those ranks. Even decaying fully would mean only an hour or two of catching up, so a cleric's help isn't worth the risk.

-Evran

[16:15] Chatter[Xxxxxx] just died while mining in prime - good times
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] Did a beisswurm getcha?
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] I hear they're pretty mean
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 11:34 AM CDT
<<I know, a necromancer can't be helped by a cleric and with my understanding of death my thinking was if I died, departing one way or another ASAP is important whether you're a necromancer or not, to suffer the least amount of loss.>>
once you are forsaken you can't be helped. you can pretty much be helped until that time, depending on how long you delay the inevitable point of being forsaken.

your skills don't decay from using spiteful rebirth. Your field experience is gone though, and you wind up with death scars. I'm not sure exactly what determines the length of death's sting in the case of a forsaken necromancer, as favors obviously don't fit into the equation. It seems it doesn't last overly long. Probably the combination of stamina/charisma that is similar to others "spirit health".

War is Peace, Truth is Lies. -george orwell
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 11:44 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure exactly what determines the length of death's sting in the case of a forsaken necromancer, as favors obviously don't fit into the equation.

Favors. It's why forsaken necromancers suffer that max effect of death's sting.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 11:50 AM CDT
I was under the impression it was based on a percentage of your current ranks, but for the most part won't suck away more than a full rank or so at max decay. I'm sure someone with high skills/level will come and correct me here.

>Probably the combination of stamina/charisma that is similar to others "spirit health".

Uh, don't necromancers still have perfectly normal spirit health? And I thought it was charisma and disc. Didn't know stamina played into it. But I only go off what I see on elanthipedia, which may not be all encompassing.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Spirit_Health

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 12:14 PM CDT
having used it fairly often, it doesn't seem as if it takes more than 10 minutes or so.

Favors: 0 Deaths: 65 Departs: 15
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 02:00 PM CDT
For reference, at approximately 600 ranks, departing immediately, I lose about 0.04 of a rank.

All in all, doesn't seem so bad.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 03:46 PM CDT
>>For reference, at approximately 600 ranks, departing immediately, I lose about 0.04 of a rank.

Along those lines, has anyone figured out "which" skills exactly you lose from; or do you lose equally across ALL ranks?

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 04:40 PM CDT
<<Along those lines, has anyone figured out "which" skills exactly you lose from; or do you lose equally across ALL ranks?

I believe you lose from every skill an amount proportional to its rank. I don't have any specifics to back this up, unfortunately.

-Evran

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 04:51 PM CDT
>believe you lose from every skill an amount proportional to its rank.

This.

And I have tracked it.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 06:33 PM CDT
As far as death's sting goes, it applies to stats only, which is not what I was ever concerned out. I thought death's sting dealt with ranks lost due to departing, which I was/am concerned about.

> For reference, at approximately 600 ranks, departing immediately, I lose about 0.04 of a rank.

This isn't worth crying over spilled milk.

> Its nowhere near as large as this. Your rank determines the cap on how much you lose in that skill, and the number of ranks you actually lose is based on that maximum potential lost if you decayed fully. For example, if you would normally lose .54% in a skill if you decayed fully, but departed when you had decayed 50% you will end up losing .27% of a rank in that skill.

How I read this is (using the .27%), if you have exactly 300 ranks in a skill and you auto-depart from full decay, you'd ultimately loose .27 percent of the skill, leaving you with 299.19 ranks in the skill after the auto-depart? I had thought the percentage was bigger, 0 to 100% off all the ranks in a given skill, meaning a fully-decayed auto-depart would wipe you out.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 07:07 PM CDT
<<How I read this is (using the .27%), if you have exactly 300 ranks in a skill and you auto-depart from full decay, you'd ultimately loose .27 percent of the skill, leaving you with 299.19 ranks in the skill after the auto-depart?

The example I used was not a percentage of your total rank, it was the percent of a rank lost. So for example, you might go from 50 00.00% to 49 99.73%.

That said, the concept in your statement is correct, however. I doubt its much more than 1% of your rank for a fully decayed depart, if even that.

-Evran

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 08:09 PM CDT
> That said, the concept in your statement is correct, however. I doubt its much more than 1% of your rank for a fully decayed depart, if even that.

I can easily live with that. In fact, now that I see this, makes me wonder why so much value is put into getting raised by a cleric, or having memories repaired, or having favors even, aside from the fact that having favors gives you the option of departing and keeping everything you are wearing, and coin. I used to panic when I died. No more.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 08:25 PM CDT
>I can easily live with that. In fact, now that I see this, makes me wonder why so much value is put into getting raised by a cleric, or having memories repaired, or having favors even, aside from the fact that having favors gives you the option of departing and keeping everything you are wearing, and coin. I used to panic when I died. No more.

1: Because no matter how well, clearly, or simply it is explained, some people just don't 'get' the system. (No, this is honestly not a shot at anyone in this thread, only a general comment)

2: I suspect it's at least partially a holdover from days when walking was possible.

3: No, really, people just don't understand the system.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 08:30 PM CDT
Favors are nice for doing depart items. Being raised is nice because it avoids death's sting and means I don't need to replace my favors. Waiting more than a few minutes for a raise is pointless, though; faster just to suffer the sting and replace the favors.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 08:32 PM CDT
>>In fact, now that I see this, makes me wonder why so much value is put into getting raised by a cleric, or having memories repaired,

4: Because at very high levels of ranks, that 27% of a rank can take hours to gain.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 07/31/2011 08:34 PM CDT
>having memories repaired

At higher levels even a very quick depart can take hours of training to reacquire the very small loss of experience.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 05:18 AM CDT
>>4: Because at very high levels of ranks, that 27% of a rank can take hours to gain.

This, and then times that by 20, 30, 40, 50+ skills whatever you train. With that said I just depart as soon as I hit the ground in most cases cause there's no clerics around. But it DOES set me back some no doubt.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 02:30 PM CDT
By my best estimates if it takes me an HOUR to find a Cleric just to restore memories, I'm better off waiting for the Cleric. Probably much longer than that, but it never takes that long anyway.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 05:27 PM CDT
>By my best estimates if it takes me an HOUR to find a Cleric just to restore memories, I'm better off waiting for the Cleric. Probably much longer than that, but it never takes that long anyway.

Should this read 'if I sit for an hour and decay, I'm better off waiting...', or should it read 'I'm better off looking for a cleric whenever I die, even if it takes an hour or more'?

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 05:34 PM CDT
>Should this read 'if I sit for an hour and decay, I'm better off waiting...', or should it read 'I'm better off looking for a cleric whenever I die, even if it takes an hour or more'?

My interpretation is, at his level, he finds that he is fairly sure he can find a cleric within an hour to deal with memories, and its worth it, because it would take longer for him to regrow those ranks, and get onto training beyond.

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 07:18 PM CDT
<<>By my best estimates if it takes me an HOUR to find a Cleric just to restore memories, I'm better off waiting for the Cleric.

There's more stuff to the equation of time lost dead than just bits lost. In the time spent regaining lost memories you're potentially earning money and building pools to 34/34, none of which would happen while waiting for a cleric.

-Evran

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 09:35 PM CDT
>Should this read 'if I sit for an hour and decay, I'm better off waiting...', or should it read 'I'm better off looking for a cleric whenever I die, even if it takes an hour or more'?

Meaning, that if I have a choice between departing immediately and getting a full raise 60 minutes after I die, I'm better off being dead for the hour.

>There's more stuff to the equation of time lost dead than just bits lost. In the time spent regaining lost memories you're potentially earning money and building pools to 34/34, none of which would happen while waiting for a cleric.

I've taken this into account. If I were going purely by bits lost vs. pulses, the estimate gets up to 12+ hours when you're talking about ranks over 1000.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 10:02 PM CDT
At what point, ranks-wise, do you think it becomes worth it to wait for the raise/mems?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/01/2011 10:11 PM CDT
>>There's more stuff to the equation of time lost dead than just bits lost. In the time spent regaining lost memories you're potentially earning money and building pools to 34/34, none of which would happen while waiting for a cleric.<<

The only skills that ever really approach 34/34 for me are defenses. Weapons get no where near it. A typical death is .08 lost from ranks, which means at least 2 hours training to get caught up. My pulses are .003-.004 on average. So yeah, an hour waiting for a cleric is normally worth it since you get up and can start hunting where you were instead of trying to get stuff back.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/02/2011 07:37 AM CDT
<<There's more stuff to the equation of time lost dead than just bits lost. In the time spent regaining lost memories you're potentially earning money and building pools to 34/34, none of which would happen while waiting for a cleric.

It is much easier to find a cleric than it is to deal with the loss of ranks when the majority of your skills are 700+.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/02/2011 09:26 AM CDT
Not sure exactly how the calc would work, but perhaps it could be set up so that memory loss would be about an hour's worth of pulses.

Personally, death would still suck for me even if we only lost the pulses in the pool and no actual memory. Getting my stealths to 34/34 and halfway through melee and then dying and having to restart again with stealths is frustrating enough.

Malkien

WARNING: 50%* chance of this post being sarcastic**.

*Informal exit poll.
**Rebate not valid in FL, AL, and MA.
Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 08/02/2011 12:23 PM CDT
<<I've taken this into account. If I were going purely by bits lost vs. pulses, the estimate gets up to 12+ hours when you're talking about ranks over 1000.

I missed that you were talking about your situation explicitly. I had incorrectly interpreted your statement as saying if it takes an hour to train back memories to where they were you'd still be better off finding a cleric even if it took most or all of that hour to do so.

-Evran

Re: Death, Death's Sting, Memories 01/07/2012 05:19 AM CST
>I was under the impression it was based on a percentage of your current ranks, but for the most part won't suck away more than a full rank or so at max decay. I'm sure someone with high skills/level will come and correct me here.

A bit old, but figure I'd enlighten on this, seeing as I had the opportunity to watch myself slowly die in the Ways, so I had a minute or two to prepare for departing. I did an EXP ALL and EXP SKILL X on a few skills (namely highest ranked skill, Harness) while dead.

Departed the moment I saw myself die and pop back to the Plane of Abiding. Lost 7.06% of rank 961 of Harness. 13589 ranks total (before depart, lost 2 to deranking). 961/13589=7.07% Adding up all the XX% in the EXP ALL, came out to be 1.01 ranks. Pulse size for me at this rank is presently .43% (70 Int/Wis), so over 16 pulses to get that exp back, or a little bit less than an hour, just for my magics, let alone my survivals, lores, and tert combats.

Thinking about doing a controlled experiment with a commoner to see whether exp lost over a longer depart time is continuous with time or discrete with nimbus color. Will report back on this.

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear