Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 09:26 AM CDT
So I have been asking around a bit about robe-style hiders lately, which I have used and love. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in a little bit more about magical hiders though? I do not have any experience with them. I know they come with charges, and can be recharged by a Moon Mage, and hide certain items based on their properties.

Are they difficult to get recharged, or is it as simple as a moonie just casting a spell at one?

How long does a charge last for a hidden item, and/or what causes the charge to lose effect? That is, is it a timer thing, does it last until I take off the item hider, until I take off the hidden item, until I die, am thrown in jail?

I think that is pretty much it, unless someone knows anything else pertinent about magical hiders that I'm not thinking about. Thanks!
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 10:02 AM CDT
>Are they difficult to get recharged?

No. Charge <item hider> or charge <item hider> amount. I never can remember which enchantments require a mana amount and which don't. Either way it's easy. There might be an arcana skillcheck for the moon mage (i don't recall) but if there is it's less than 300 ranks. Either way, asking on the gweth will generally get your hider charged quickly. Some moon mages charge for it, all appreciate a monetary tip. It's easier than casting a spell. Presumably Traders will be able to recharge hiders when they get magic c.a. 2019.

You're also more likely to get a response on recharge (or anything else moon mage related) on the gweth if you don't ask for a moonie.

>How long does a charge last for a hidden item, and/or what causes the charge to lose effect?

Item hiders almost universally have 20 charges. Activating the hider uses a charge. The charge/hider works until you remove or deactivate it. If you remove the hider you'll have to reactivate it. If you choose hiders with nouns that don't match nouns of items you remove regularly it will take a long time to go through your charges and need a recharge.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 10:45 AM CDT
Getting jailed is basically what runs me through my charges.

Jalika
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 11:05 AM CDT
>>Item hiders almost universally have 20 charges. Activating the hider uses a charge. The charge/hider works until you remove or deactivate it. If you remove the hider you'll have to reactivate it. If you choose hiders with nouns that don't match nouns of items you remove regularly it will take a long time to go through your charges and need a recharge.

I think you covered it here, but just so I am clear... If I have a magical armor hider for example, I can remove and wear a piece of armor however many times I want, and every time I wear it it'll be hidden, so long as I never remove the hider? I won't have to spend a new charge to re-hide that piece of armor or anything?
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 11:45 AM CDT
>> If I have a magical armor hider for example, I can remove and wear a piece of armor however many times I want, and every time I wear it it'll be hidden, so long as I never remove the hider? I won't have to spend a new charge to re-hide that piece of armor or anything?

Correct.

Jail is also what runs me out. Death doesn't deactivate hiders, funnily enough. Neither does departing. If you don't dabble in thievery or get arrested much, you'll almost never need recharging.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 11:56 AM CDT
>If I have a magical armor hider for example, I can remove and wear a piece of armor however many times I want, and every time I wear it it'll be hidden, so long as I never remove the hider? I won't have to spend a new charge to re-hide that piece of armor or anything?

You can remove any and all hidden items you want as often as you want. As long as you don't remove the item hider itself you won't burn through a charge. Using an armor hider, whenever you remove and then wear your armor (as many times as you want) it'll be hidden automatically as long as your hider remains active and you have the armor set to Show Normal.

Btw death won't burn through a charge unless you depart without items in which case your item hider will be removed and placed in your grave in which case a charge will be used to reactivate it.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Magical Item Hiders 04/07/2016 11:58 AM CDT
Awesome, I think that answers all my questions. Thanks everyone!