Prev_page Previous 1 3
ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 03:41 PM CST
ESP 2.0 has exited QC thanks to the heroic efforts of Abasha and will be arriving in Prime and Platinum tomorrow (11/11) morning. Gwethdesuans are changing in some fundamental ways and gwethsmashers will go active again.

I've covered most of this in our preceeding conversations, but to go over some points again:

1) When the new system is released, you will by default be without ESP. You will need wear, rub, or touch your gweth and spend a charge to reactive ESP (or cast Thoughtcast again).

2) Things will be changed up quite a bit! Review the new ESP verb for channel listings and handling when it goes live.

3) I'll be on for the entire day to take care of any bugs that pop up. If something looks wrong, let me know on the forums and I'll take a look.

4) I will send an announcement to Prime prior to release, where I'll ask you to cease sending messages and release Thoughtcast if it's active for the duration of the release. This is just to make sure you don't send something while the system is mid-release and potentially cause wonkiness. There are quite a few moving parts! I will also announce when it's safe to use it again, which should be very shortly thereafter.

That's it for the short version. The full list of changes for tomorrow is below. Happy gwething.

ITEM CONSOLIDATION
* Albredine rings (both kinds) are no longer necessary for group and personal messages, all functionality has been rolled into Gwethdesuans. Existing rings are effectively fluff items now.
* Lantholite/Sjatmal/Waermodi/Lasmodi gwethdesuans have been discontinued. You may BREAK them to recover the chain.
* Gwethdesuan stone type no longer matters. Jadeite and Kyanite gweths do the same thing, and only one is necessary for full functionality
* Gwethsmashers are reactivated, but function differently (see GWETHSMASHER section).

DISCRETE CHANNELS
* While DragonRealms always had multiple channels of ESP, it was difficult to differentiate between them due to how gwethdesuans worked. With ESP 2.0 we have expanded the number of channels and made each one discrete. You may select any (or all, or none) to listen to, and you transmit on one at a time.
* The following channels are available: General, Trade, Race, Guild, Local, Private, Personal.
* General and Trade are global channels, transmitting to anyone in the game who has ESP on and is listening to the relevant channel.
* Race and Guild are global, but locked to your race or guild. For example, a Necromancer who sends to the Guild channel will only be heard by other Necromancers who have ESP on and are listening to the Guild channel.
* Local is limited to your nearby zones, using old fashion Kyanite range.
* Private is your private group channel. These function based off your Telepathic Password. Private is global, but is only received by others who are listening to Private and have set exactly the same password as you have.
* Personal flags whether or not you receive personal SENDs.

NEW & UPDATED VERBS
* ESP - Your general purpose ESP manipulation command. Comes with the following commands
* ESP CHANNELS - Shows available channels & your currently active channels.
* ESP LISTEN - Sets which channels you are listening to.
* ESP SEND - Sets which channel you are broadcasting to.
* ESP PASSWORD - Sets your telepathic password for Private groups. Five minute cooldown per use.
* ESP WHO - Lists everyone who is actively listening on your Private channel. Five minute cooldown per use.
* THINK - Group channels usage. THINK <MSG> goes to your broadcast channel. THINK TO <PC> continues to work, but SEND is recommended for fewer mishaps.
* PROJECT - Private channel usage. This is redundant with ESP SEND PRIVATE, but allows players to message their private group without flipping their send channel back and forth. This verb is also available even if you are gwethsmashed.
* SEND - Personal channel usage. SEND <PC> <MSG> goes to that individual.

GWETHSMASHERS
* Gwethsmashers can be made again, using the same routine as before. We may adjust the timer in the future.
* Gwethsmashers no longer destroy gwethdesuans.
* Successful Gwethsmash will shut off the individual's capacity to THINK or SEND for 1 hour. It does not impact their ability to listen to channels or affect their gwethdesuan's state. It will also still allow individuals to PROJECT to the private channel.

MISC
* Necromancers only risk SO for broadcasting on public channels, which are Trade, General, Race, and Local. Guild, Private, and Personal channels are SO-free. You are also now messaged if a broadcast causes SO.
* Thoughtcast now works more elegantly with adding or removing gwethdesuans. There's no point in using a gwethdesuan /w Thoughtcast, as they do the same things (turning your ESP on), and it should no longer be possible to mix the two.
* Thoughtcasting to an individual sends the message irrespective of their ESP state, and if they do not have ESP grants it to them for 60 seconds (in order to reply).

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 05:34 PM CST

I may have missed it if you answered it before, but is the downtime for using a particular smasher being adjusted now since the downtime for being smashed has been reduced to an hour? To be clear, the downtime for the item itself, not for the person using it.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 05:42 PM CST
I'm excited.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 05:48 PM CST
>>I may have missed it if you answered it before, but is the downtime for using a particular smasher being adjusted now since the downtime for being smashed has been reduced to an hour? To be clear, the downtime for the item itself, not for the person using it.

Currently unchanged. I'm open to decreasing the downtime (along with the timer on making them), but would like to see how it goes first.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 05:51 PM CST

Wow! This all looks awesome! Well done on such a quick turn around, and putting together such a comprehensive seeming system!

My only question is regarding Necromancers and SO generation - approximately what are the odds and severity of SO generation? It seems like given that Necromancers are already pushed to the side regarding the DR community, this would have been a good opportunity to give them a foot back in.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 05:55 PM CST
>>My only question is regarding Necromancers and SO generation - approximately what are the odds and severity of SO generation?

Same as before:

Necromancers with no or little SO do not generate SO gwething.
Necromancers at the Suspicious level or higher generate an amount of SO derived by their existing SO. Someone just on the edge gets relatively little SO, someone full on Perverse gets more.

In all cases, the following is true:
1) The SO hit is not large for any one message. Extended conversations when Perverse are ill advised, but one maniacal cackle and gone isn't going to hurt very much at all.
2) You have fewer options to get SO on the gweth now. The new messaging may seem scary at first, but tomorrow you're not getting more or new SO that you wouldn't get today.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 06:13 PM CST
Well, awesome! This looks great, and I'm excited to test it out.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 08:07 PM CST
Super excited about these changes, Armifer. Good stuff! I really like the idea of being able to move some group discussion IC with the private channels.

- Saragos
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 08:11 PM CST

In the *NEW & UPDATED VERBS* Section:

<* ESP PASSWORD - Sets your telepathic password for Private groups. Five minute cooldown per use.
<* ESP WHO - Lists everyone who is actively listening on your Private channel. Five minute cooldown per use.

My own question: Are we allowed more than a single Private Channel? I.E. One for Order and possibly One for local Invasion Defenses?
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 08:13 PM CST
>>My own question: Are we allowed more than a single Private Channel? I.E. One for Order and possibly One for local Invasion Defenses?

Nope. I can envision how to support multiple passwords if I ever get the opportunity, but it'd require both some additional time on my behalf and some time from the Onsite techs to put it together.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 10:27 PM CST
1. Re: ESP Password and private channel. Does this mean that if I have a password of say, 'pandabear' and Fahijeck for example, also picks 'pandabear', even though I don't think I'd ever want to be in the same channel as him, that one of us is going to have to pick a different password or else be listening to each other?

2. I had an idea of just making smashes stop THINK and only SEND if directed at the person who did the smashing, but then I realized that could be abused by someone aggravating a large group of people one person at a time by private pesterin, making them have to be smashed by every individual.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 11:14 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: SEND - Personal channel usage. SEND <PC> <MSG> goes to that individual.

When ESP 2.0 goes live, will the old THINK TO command be disabled? This would go a long way toward preventing accidental mis-gweths, which are still common among players who haven't switched to the new SEND command.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/10/2016 11:41 PM CST

viva la THINK! I will never switch!
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:01 AM CST
Will passwords be case sensitive? Will the require letters only, or can numbers and punctuation be used as well? Will they be only one word or can spaces, and there fore phrases, be used?
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 01:05 AM CST
My 2 coppers....

As a player:
I love the idea of a global chat and non global chat and having a choice. i remember a time when there was no chat, somehow its hard to even remember those days.

As a MM:
gwethsmashing seems more effective with me since people could just put on another gweth after smashed before and hopefully people will buy more of them now.

as a Trader:
A long time ago...in a realm not to far away..people would congregate outside the banks and yell and sell things...that was done away with when the Traders Market came into play. and out of respect for the traders most people dont mass sell things on the gweth at least not with upsetting the trading community.
Now i know many as non traders are more then open to a trade channel not governed by traders, but i believe this is a big hit to the traders ability to gather auctions, to work on commissions with consignments from people. and all together just bypassing the trader community in general. we work hard for our shops, we pay rent and expenses, and people generally do not try to undercut us on the gweth out of respect up until now. Now, with this change, people can use the global "Trade" channel like the old front of the bank yelling, selling, and auctioning, who needs to ask a trader to sell something now when they can be their just auction it off in global chat themselves. Once again i know this may not make sense to non-traders, but from a traders standpoint the market, for many of us is our livelihood.

suggestions:
1.Give traders oversight of the channel or greater privileges. its called the "Trade" channel so let the "Traders" run it.
2.make it a place where only traders can post listings but others can buy, even a hyperlinked version where they could pay a fee and pay an attendant for delivery.
3.limit non traders by the amount of use of the channel as far as how many characters per post in that channel and or how often they can post "think" in that channel like concentration limits greater then traders.
4. Remove the "Trade" channel all together and let the traders have the one thing that they have worked hard to own...Trading. leave the other new channels as is, i think the rest of the new implementations are a win/win for everyone involved.

Thank you for all your hard work.
-"D"
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 01:49 AM CST
Wow. What a bunch of wonderful improvements! I'll be using gweths again. A race channel! A guild channel! A trade channel! Love it! Thanks for all the hard work you've done on this, it shows.

- I hate the word paywall and everything that goes with it. -
- Please keep the discussion on topic. Posts here should pertain to suggestions for Warrior Mages only please. MOD-Aneka

Xionara Swiftstrike
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 06:24 AM CST
This is very good news.

We have come a long way since those AOL chatrooms. :-)

- Moon Mage, Cleric, Empath, Trader mostly
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 06:37 AM CST
>>1. Re: ESP Password and private channel. Does this mean that if I have a password of say, 'pandabear' and Fahijeck for example, also picks 'pandabear', even though I don't think I'd ever want to be in the same channel as him, that one of us is going to have to pick a different password or else be listening to each other?

Yup. Do not be excessively attached to your password, if you are concerned you may need to change it.

>>When ESP 2.0 goes live, will the old THINK TO command be disabled? This would go a long way toward preventing accidental mis-gweths, which are still common among players who haven't switched to the new SEND command.

Nope. There's some Stormfront functionality with THINK TO that I can't disable elegantly, and honestly if someone is unwilling to use the easier syntax and screws up that's pretty much on them.

>>Will passwords be case sensitive? Will the require letters only, or can numbers and punctuation be used as well? Will they be only one word or can spaces, and there fore phrases, be used?

Alphanumerical, not case sensitive, no spaces, 15 characters long maximum. Some punctuation works and some doesn't (for example, dash can work but periods won't) -- it's a silly parser thing.

>>Now, with this change, people can use the global "Trade" channel like the old front of the bank yelling, selling, and auctioning, who needs to ask a trader to sell something now when they can be their just auction it off in global chat themselves.

This change does not add anything that people cannot (and do not) already do, it simply suggests that the activity be sequestered in a way that can be easily ignored by individuals that do not desire to hear it.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 08:42 AM CST

> System Announcement: Hello, the ESP system (gwethdesuans & Thoughtcast) will be updated in the next few minutes, with some pretty significant changes in how it functions. Please see the GM announcement on the forums for a full change list.

I just want to say this is the fastest I've ever seen any planned system mature to fruition. I'm not sure what happened, but it's interesting knowing that this kind of delivery schedule is possible. Can we expect this kind of attention going forward, or was it a special case because the right people complained to the right people?
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 08:51 AM CST
>>I just want to say this is the fastest I've ever seen any planned system mature to fruition. I'm not sure what happened, but it's interesting knowing that this kind of delivery schedule is possible. Can we expect this kind of attention going forward, or was it a special case because the right people complained to the right people?

Please don't spray cynicism all over my late night effort.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 08:52 AM CST
>>I just want to say this is the fastest I've ever seen any planned system mature to fruition. I'm not sure what happened, but it's interesting knowing that this kind of delivery schedule is possible. Can we expect this kind of attention going forward, or was it a special case because the right people complained to the right people?

>>Please don't spray cynicism all over my late night effort.

Armifer being amazing has become so common place people forget to thank him.

Thank you Armifer, you're amazing.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 08:53 AM CST
This is now live in Prime.

One issue that was found fairly quickly is that if you have multiple ESP items on, removing one will shut off your ESP. This will eventually work out since you shouldn't be able to equip multiple ESP items now, but if you have them on from the old system I recommend reducing your item load down to 1 before activating ESP to save yourself a charge or two.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 09:27 AM CST
Apropo of nothing:

The chief currencies of DR development are time and interest. I had the time (being unemployed ATM) and the interest (this is a project that I've wanted to do for years), so when the mandate came down to do an ESP rewrite I was positioned to do so with the full strength of my passion.

So in essence, the question becomes "Why are you not always on your A-game, passionate about everything?" I hope the answer is as self-evident to everyone reading as it is to me.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 09:47 AM CST
Thank you for knocking this out of the park as quickly as you did. A multi-channel system isn't anything I expected to come about as quickly as it did.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 09:47 AM CST

Seems working great. System is intuitive and comprehensive. I'm really impressed, and want to thank all who worked on it, this is a great system and a great update for the gweths!
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 09:50 AM CST
At Lyneya's prompting, I shuffled around some parsing and made it so that all the verbs default to their help messaging if typed by themselves.

This should hopefully make the system a bit less opaque going into it.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 10:07 AM CST

Do charges have limited duration use? For some reason mine faded and I needed to rerub.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 10:10 AM CST
Erk. It's not intended that they do, but there may be a bug in the system that periodically checks to make sure your gweths are still on. I'll check.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 10:27 AM CST
I rolled in a change that should preserve your ESP status now. Also I broke ESP for a few minutes, but that should also be resolved.

Let me know if anything else wonky shows up.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 10:29 AM CST

Sweet, thanks. Just to make sure I understand now - rubbing a gweth turns on ESP, and this stays on as long as you don't remove the gweth. Gweth smashing is effectively ESP THUMP for public channels, and does not affect gweth charges or whether your ESP is on.

Correct?
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 10:41 AM CST
Thanks Armifer.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 11:12 AM CST
Alright, as of this post the only known bug that I believe still exists is the one involving ESP turning off if you remove one ESP device but have others that should remain active.

If anything else is wonky, please let me know.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 11:28 AM CST
In Avalon 4.1.5 (I know, but I'm still using YASSE) the new ESP system is not populating thoughts to the Thoughts window.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 11:33 AM CST
I am... not sure what the cause or potential solution of that is. I didn't change the routines that populate the window on this end, and I have zero experience with Avalon so I'm not sure if it's populated in the way Stormfront and Genie do it.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 11:47 AM CST
Thoughts window is also no longer functioning in Avalon 4.3.3 beta.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:01 PM CST

Would it be possible to get highlight options for the different channels?

I could do it manually but it might be easy on your end, I'm not sure.

Alesea
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:02 PM CST
>>Would it be possible to get highlight options for the different channels?

Hrm. Probably not, but I'll look into it and see if it's easier/less time consuming than I imagine it'll be.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:19 PM CST

The thoughts window has stopped working on the Wizard as well.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:49 PM CST
Is there going to be an update for the Wizard, and other game clients to move the different "Channels" to appear in the Thoughts window? And not in the main screen.
Re: ESP 2.0 on 11/11/16 11/11/2016 12:55 PM CST
I don't know at this point. We've made the onsite folks aware of the situation, and we'll see if it's something they can fix, I can fix, or what.

-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1 3