Prev_page Previous 1
ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 03:49 PM CDT
Let's talk ESP.

So, first things first, I do not have an ETA yet. Principally because if I do not finish this project within my current deadline I will require to push it back to after New Years and move onto another project which is more time sensitive. That said, ESP rewrite is proceeding actively at the moment, and our development server has a simple working version.

Because we've arrived at a point in development where things are coming together, I feel it is prudent to give you a heads up regarding the fate of some current ESP items, so that you can make informed decisions in the coming days.

1) Albredine rings of both types are being discontinued, their function rolled into gwethdesuans. When ESP 2.0 is released, these rings will no longer function.

2) Lantholite/Sjatmal/Waermodi/Lasmodi gwethdesuans are being discontinued. They will no longer function.

3) Kyanite and Jadeite gweths will perform identically. You will only need one gwethdesuan, and can choose either based on your aesthetics.

4) When the new ESP system is released, it will not respect your current telepathy settings. You will need to expend a charge (or recast Thoughtcast, if using that method) to reactivate your gweths.

5) Gwethsmashers will change in the following ways. Note that this is tentative and may change.
5.1) Item destruction is gone.
5.2) A successful gwethsmash will render someone unable to THINK or SEND for one hour.
5.3) Gwethsmashed individuals can still listen to ESP.
5.4) PROJECT to private groups will continue to function.

Gwethsmasher policy may or may not change. I will leave that up to better equipped GMs to ultimately decide, I am merely handling the mechanical aspects.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 04:53 PM CDT

if colored rings are discontinued, how will the project verb function? like how do i define the private group i'm trying to send a message to?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 05:15 PM CDT
>>DR-Armifer: Because we've arrived at a point in development where things are coming together, I feel it is prudent to give you a heads up regarding the fate of some current ESP items, so that you can make informed decisions in the coming days.

I like all of these proposals.

>>DR-Armifer: 1) Albredine rings of both types are being discontinued, their function rolled into gwethdesuans. When ESP 2.0 is released, these rings will no longer function.

I am curious how group channels will work.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 05:27 PM CDT
Group channels (now called the Private channel) are password based.

So, for instance, you set your Telepathic Password to bluh, and then send a thought to the Private channel (either by selecting that for THINK, or just using PROJECT as a shorthand). Everyone who's Telepathic Password is set to bluh will receive it.

Passwords can be alphanumerical up to 15 characters, but cannot contain profanity (if you can't gweth it, you can't use it as a password). Your password can be changed at any time you have ESP active.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 05:27 PM CDT

Sounds good, rings where a tad bothersome. I wouldn't mind just seeing j gweth being the standard gweth and the k gweth be the private one. But this is even simpler and thus better long run.

Not keen on the return to smasher so fast. Its nice to see them being used and not be afraid to do so.

Yeah, smash policy needs to be changed.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 05:37 PM CDT
Will you be able to be a member of more than one private channel at a time? Since you have to set a password, sounds like the answer is no?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 05:42 PM CDT
>>Will you be able to be a member of more than one private channel at a time? Since you have to set a password, sounds like the answer is no?

The answer is no for now. I can see about expanding in the direction of multiple passwords in the future, but I cannot promise that in the current build.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 07:07 PM CDT
If I'm reading this correctly, I am going to be forced to wear a gweth in order to privately SEND thoughts? If so, that stinks. I took off my gweths when smashers went away and have really enjoyed not having to listen to the garbage, I prefer just wearing a ring so that someone can privately contact me if they want to.

>>5.2) A successful gwethsmash will render someone unable to THINK or SEND for one hour.

Are you lowering the cooldown on smashers, too?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 07:11 PM CDT

So far, I like the proposed changes. I would like there to be more channels available than just the one, but I can understand there being limitations - one more channel is better than the way that it is.

I'd also like the cooldown on smasher creation to be reduced since there is no longer an item destruction mechanic. Perhaps also a cooldown reduction on each individual gwethsmasher use as well.

Will the use of a smasher still turn the character PVP open, or just give consent to the individual who was smashed?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 07:17 PM CDT
>>If I'm reading this correctly, I am going to be forced to wear a gweth in order to privately SEND thoughts? If so, that stinks. I took off my gweths when smashers went away and have really enjoyed not having to listen to the garbage, I prefer just wearing a ring so that someone can privately contact me if they want to.

So, how it works is that there will be discrete channels. Like so:

--

>esp channels
The following channels are available to you.
Bold channels are currently active.

General - Global channel for general chit-chat.
Trade - Global channel for financial transactions.
Guild - Conversations with other members of your guild.
Race - Conversations with other members of your race.
Local - Conversations shared among those in your nearby geographical location.
Private - Conversations shared among those who have the same telepathic password.
Personal - Listening for messages directed specifically toward you (with the SEND command).

You are currently sending messages to the Private channel.
Your telepathic password is currently "bluh".

--

Listen to as many or as few as you want. If you only want to be open to Personal messages and nothing else, more power to you.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 07:27 PM CDT
>>Listen to as many or as few as you want.

Okay, that sounds a lot better. Thanks!
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 07:28 PM CDT
Sounds pretty awesome!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 10:21 PM CDT
Pretty stoked about this change! Great job.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/30/2016 10:54 PM CDT
This all sounds fantastic, Armifer. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

For what it's worth, I think there's a good chance many people would enjoy 2+ private channels. If nothing else, one for their Order and one for friends. I'm not sure what to suggest to handle that nicely though.

- Navesi
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 12:18 AM CDT

> Guild - Conversations with other members of your guild.

I never knew how much I wanted this until right now.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 01:31 AM CDT
And is the guild channel able to be Crossed into by other guilds.

Like say a Ranger wanted to hang out in the Empath guild frequency?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 01:37 AM CDT
I was pretty miffed that gweths and smashers were such a high-priority rewrite but this is a pretty awesome change in a pretty narrow window of time. Great job Eliteifer.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 02:16 AM CDT
So if I set my password to "drfun", everyone who sets their password to "drfun" can listen in? Interesting. Two features I'd like to see related to that to prevent covert eavesdropping:

1) Can we get some sort of command to see who is actively listening to a given password channel?
2) Perhaps put something like a 5 minute cooldown on password changing to prevent dictionary-based attacks on eavesdropping on others?

It may sound excessive, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

As a further question, is anything going to be done with/to the existing premium permagweths that are out there now?

- Saragos
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 03:01 AM CDT
>1) Can we get some sort of command to see who is actively listening to a given password channel?
>2) Perhaps put something like a 5 minute cooldown on password changing to prevent dictionary-based attacks on eavesdropping on others?

Both good suggestions.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 05:38 AM CDT
>>And is the guild channel able to be Crossed into by other guilds.

That is not part of these designs, no.

-Persida
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 06:00 AM CDT
>>For what it's worth, I think there's a good chance many people would enjoy 2+ private channels. If nothing else, one for their Order and one for friends. I'm not sure what to suggest to handle that nicely though.

I know how to handle it technically, it's just not something I feel confident in being able to produce in short order.

>>Like say a Ranger wanted to hang out in the Empath guild frequency?

Nope.

>>1) Can we get some sort of command to see who is actively listening to a given password channel?

Possibly. I'm not sure how useful it'd be without announcing when someone enters/exits the channel, though (which is also possible, albeit more annoying)

>>2) Perhaps put something like a 5 minute cooldown on password changing to prevent dictionary-based attacks on eavesdropping on others?

If I do some flavor of #1 it'll definitely have to include some sort of time constraint on password shuffling.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 10:57 AM CDT
I am loving all the changes proposed. In the long run, it'll make life a lot easier and more flexible with listening to what you want. And having those two inventory slots back never hurts too.

Could there possibly be an ORDER channel tied to the item you're given when you're inducted into the order? Like my Black Fox pin gives me access to Order-specific titles. Could that also be used to trigger being added to an order channel? Then if you leave the order, you also leave the channel.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 12:45 PM CDT
>4) When the new ESP system is released, it will not respect your current telepathy settings. You will need to expend a charge (or recast Thoughtcast, if using >that method) to reactivate your gweths.

I know you explained this in another post, but is there any way, either the forums or Elanthapedia, can release an "An Idiots Guide To Gweth Usage" (Patent pending) for those of us who are (politically correct version) learning disabled. Or those of us who just have crappy memories.

>5) Gwethsmashers will change in the following ways. Note that this is tentative and may change.
>5.1) Item destruction is gone.
>5.2) A successful gwethsmash will render someone unable to THINK or SEND for one hour.
>5.3) Gwethsmashed individuals can still listen to ESP

THANK YOU!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. FINALLY!!! I will FINALLY be able to save the money I spend on gweths and use it towards more important needs, aka junk from the Plaza Shops that I really don't need but make an impulsive decision to buy anyway.

>open kit
Guess what? It's already open!

48 intelligence, eh...?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 12:50 PM CDT
>>I know you explained this in another post, but is there any way, either the forums or Elanthapedia, can release an "An Idiots Guide To Gweth Usage" (Patent pending)

Similar to most/every system in the game, the system will be explained on epedia on the appropriate page: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Gwethdesuan

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 01:14 PM CDT
>Similar to most/every system in the game, the system will be explained on epedia on the appropriate page: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Gwethde

Thanks! It's nice to know the internet knows all!

>open kit
Guess what? It's already open!

48 intelligence, eh...?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 01:16 PM CDT
Totally still excited about this change, think it's going to be a HUUUUUUUUGE improvement on how people interact socially inside the game and makes AIM obsolete (unless your offline) for the game. Can this be released like now? Like right now.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 07:24 PM CDT
>>DR-Armifer: Trade - Global channel for financial transactions.

I'm curious about how the Trade channel will work and how its use will be enforced.

How does one send a message to the Trade channel (as opposed to the General gweth channel)?

What is the policy on players using the General channel for messages that should be send to the Trade channel? Is that something GMs will enforce, or will players be expected to police this via gwethsmashers?

Thanks!

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 07:39 PM CDT
>How does one send a message to the Trade channel (as opposed to the General gweth channel)?

My understanding of what's been said is that you send a thought to one channel, and you can listen to a bunch of channels at once. So if you want to send something to the trade channel, you would do something like turn gweth to trade or turn gweth to mypassword to set your outgoing channel, and tap gweth trade or tap gweth mypassword to set channels on/off for listening.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 07:44 PM CDT

> I'm curious about how the Trade channel will work and how its use will be enforced.

And can we confirm we can be in some or all channels at once?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 07:53 PM CDT
>And can we confirm we can be in some or all channels at once?

Did you even read Armifer's post? Listen to multiple, send to one.

Here's what he said:

So, how it works is that there will be discrete channels. Like so:

--

>esp channels
The following channels are available to you.
Bold channels are currently active.

General - Global channel for general chit-chat.
Trade - Global channel for financial transactions.
Guild - Conversations with other members of your guild.
Race - Conversations with other members of your race.
Local - Conversations shared among those in your nearby geographical location.
Private - Conversations shared among those who have the same telepathic password.
Personal - Listening for messages directed specifically toward you (with the SEND command).

You are currently sending messages to the Private channel.
Your telepathic password is currently "bluh".

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 07:59 PM CDT
>>How does one send a message to the Trade channel (as opposed to the General gweth channel)?

You use the ESP command to specify which channel you want to send to, then THINK goes there (PROJECT and SEND are hardwired to the Private and Personal modes, respectively, but you can use THINK for those too if you really want to).

>>What is the policy on players using the General channel for messages that should be send to the Trade channel? Is that something GMs will enforce, or will players be expected to police this via gwethsmashers?

I'm leaving policy to better equipped GMs.

>>My question is more around the LTB gweths previously not being smashable which was the real bonus they gave in addition to no charges to activate. Will the changes make it so they continue to not be smashable with the new rules in addition to no charges to activate? If not, this is a reduction in the benefit afforded for spending LTBs on these...which I did.

Previously LTB gweths would be rendered inoperable for multiple hours instead of destroyed. Now it'll be pegged at one hour instead. While I'm going to be cautiously open to changes to LTB gweths, "not silenceable" was never a benefit and I do not foresee making it one.

>>And can we confirm we can be in some or all channels at once?

You can be in all, or none, or some of the channels at your discretion and with no additional cost. You use the ESP command to toggle channels individually to your tastes.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 08:07 PM CDT
This is probably a stupid and irrelevant to the current discussion question, but: thieves?

Constantly getting arrested equals constantly losing gweth charges.

Any chance the rewrite can help out with that?
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 08:12 PM CDT
My gut response is that I'm not sure that the Thief thing is something to be solved with a hack to the gweth system. It might be cool if Thieves had some reliable access to a Thoughtcast MD, which would be better suited to a lifestyle of constantly being caught. But that's just me spitballing at the moment.

Hell, perhaps even a Thoughtcast-esque Khri. It'd be on the wild side of plausible.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 08:54 PM CDT
Cool. Thanks for the answers.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 10/31/2016 09:07 PM CDT
I think these changes sound excellent. Thanks.

Jalika
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 11/01/2016 12:10 AM CDT
>Hell, perhaps even a Thoughtcast-esque Khri. It'd be on the wild side of plausible.

Goes hands in hands with some of the concepts I had for developing Khri upwards and onwards, glad to see it's at least on the wild side of plausible.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Vic
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 11/01/2016 12:32 AM CDT

These look like really solid moves!

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 11/01/2016 09:44 AM CDT
I love these changes, especially reducing down to one ESP device / spell.

Two thoughts (pun intended?)

1. Would you consider lengthening the duration of Thoughtcast even more? Maybe up to two hours?

2. Would you also consider eliminating having to wait for round time to end before thinking? If we can speak while in RT, we should be able to think in RT as well.

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 11/01/2016 09:46 AM CDT
>>1. Would you consider lengthening the duration of Thoughtcast even more? Maybe up to two hours?

Not at this time. It's already the length of a Ritual spell w/o being one.

>>2. Would you also consider eliminating having to wait for round time to end before thinking? If we can speak while in RT, we should be able to think in RT as well.

I will have to see how that actually works, since I do not know off the top of my head if that's something we can do or if that's hardwritten into certain verbs at the engine level.

-Armifer
Re: ESP 2.0 Heads Up 11/01/2016 09:54 AM CDT
Random question, but any chance this updated unlinked gwething and concentration? It's not as much of an issue for older thieves, but I remember it being very frustrating as a younger thief.
Prev_page Previous 1