OOC Channels for Gweths in Prime 10/05/2016 01:59 PM CDT
Have all gweths grant access to an OOC channel with the same range, disabled by default.
This is a separate channel from CHATTER which has already been re-purposed for newbie chat

Just as with normal gweths thoughts, by tying to existing gweth mechs an OOC gweth thought that rubbed someone the wrong way can still get smashed. (its still the same J/K gweth)

The goal here is not to facilitate RP (obviously), but to build community.

When I first returned via F2P I rather appreciated having relative constant information/voices in CHATTER and find myself avoiding to circle past 15 for a while until I was really comfortable.

Until I reactivated my accounts that F2P account felt really lonely.

If what I've read is to be believed, Lich users are doing this anyway, but why not offer native support to OOC chat. It helps the player behind the character relate and continue to engage ATK to the game during RP downtime.

In addition, allow Divine Charm to also grant j-gweth range access to the OOC channel, while disappearing as it normally would. They will have to manually Invoke it so a true newbie does not get overwhelmed.

Chatter is sometimes too strictly enforced and its hard to let a newbie know they are in fact playing with other players. I think it gives some of the newbies who are clearly much younger IRL than the average DR player (I'm thinking Damage is probably a real teenager) an outlet for his need to exclaim to a fellow DR player at the OOC level but has not collected people's AIM to make his shoutouts (god, i had to dust my AIM off and shocked how many people still use it)

We all play games to find someone to enjoy with, but every game there is there's an OOC channel to connect at the player level. A true newbie and some cases, returner, would not have AIM contacts or even use AIM anymore, and building an OOC friend may also indirect lead to better company in the game.
Re: OOC Channels for Gweths in Prime 10/05/2016 02:36 PM CDT
>>If what I've read is to be believed, Lich users are doing this anyway, but why not offer native support to OOC chat.

Can't explicitly speak for GMs here but I think it's less a matter of "can we" (handwaving away any time needed to redevelop the gweths as a multi-channel system, which I do hope gets done someday!) and more a matter of "should we", which speaks more to how it gets moderated/managed.

I think having an OOC channel is an awesome idea, and from my own experiences having Chatter in Plat (and IIRC Fallen) does make the game feel a lot less lonely depending on where you are, but it's also worth acknowledging that it can become a chaotic garbage fire unless it is moderated (and, from what I heard of Lich chat, it does sometimes suffer this issue). Until DR is able to dedicate resources/manpower into ensuring that it can be properly moderated, I don't know if it would be that great of an idea, despite my support of wanting to see something like this. An OOC can get pretty messy when it's essentially a free for all, and having 10% of Prime's population buy into using it at one time could get a bit messy just in terms of noise and how to handle people acting properly.

>>Just as with normal gweths thoughts, by tying to existing gweth mechs an OOC gweth thought that rubbed someone the wrong way can still get smashed. (its still the same J/K gweth)

As it currently stands, the smashee can get dinged for whatever reason the smasher feels, if the smasher is okay with consent issues and etc. How would that work on an OOC channel?

Bill: I like Dogs.
Bob: CATS RULE, SMASH TIME.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: OOC Channels for Gweths in Prime 10/05/2016 02:41 PM CDT
<<it's also worth acknowledging that it can become a chaotic garbage fire unless it is moderated (and, from what I heard of Lich chat, it does sometimes suffer this issue).

Not really. The drama level is far less than the gweth as well. Lich users are a pretty tight knit group, though. It could change if the entire server was on it I guess.