Improving Albredine 03/02/2016 10:40 PM CST
With albredine ranges getting changed to be global, they now have a TON more utility than they used to and it's one of my favorite changes of last year. However, I think albredine of both types are old systems that could use some QOL changes to make them a little more user-friendly and maybe clear up some bugs with them.

Crystal albredine is mostly fine but I think they could really benefit from being shunted over to a separate command and a more helpful STUDY added to them. As entertaining as misgweths are it can be really disruptive (not to mention embarrassing) and it still happens multiple times a day. "THINK TO" could continue working or just be changed to point people at the new syntax perhaps.

Colored albredine...where does one begin. They're usable, but barely. They're very buggy. They'll randomly stop working and force you to reset and re-attune them. Sometimes you'll stop being able to wear them entirely because they'll act like you're not the owner. You have to TAP it every time you want to use it, and occasionally even after you TAP it to use it, it'll still broadcast to the gweth (this is why I stopped using them back in the day). They're also very limited charge and must be recharged regularly by a magic user on top of having more conventional charges.

I think colored albredine represent a huge potential boon to the game in terms of being a remote in-character group chat, but they could use a facelift. So I'd propose moving the function of both kinds of albredine to their own verb, PROJECT. Remove the requirement to TAP your colored albredine each time you want to use that channel; instead doing that aligns you to projecting on that channel until it's changed. Instead of making each projection burn up a charge, just make colored albredine work like crystal albredine currently does.

The rest of them is honestly fine, they're a great concept. I would just love to see them be more usable and I think these changes would help that a lot.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Improving Albredine 03/02/2016 10:59 PM CST
I would like to see crystal albredine and colored albredine combined to a single general worn item. Ring inventory slots are at a premium. Turn the item for general crystal frequency, turn the item to dial it into the more private frequencies. Project is so needed.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Improving Albredine 03/02/2016 11:06 PM CST
>They'll randomly stop working and force you to reset and re-attune them.

Is there any messaging when this happens? Or is this when you random send it to the regular gweth channel? I can't find anything that would cause this to fail in this manner.

>occasionally even after you TAP it to use it, it'll still broadcast to the gweth

In my investigation, this shouldn't happen unless you get a message indicating it isn't going to work. If that's not the case, it's probably a bug.

>I would just love to see them be more usable and I think these changes would help that a lot.

I'll see what I can find/do, but any changes are going to be subject to the normal approval process, so I have no idea when/if I'll be able to make any changes to these. I would love to see them be more user friendly and useful. Logs of them being wonky might be helpful, especially if there's messaging.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Improving Albredine 03/02/2016 11:08 PM CST
>>Thayet: As entertaining as misgweths are it can be really disruptive (not to mention embarrassing) and it still happens multiple times a day. "THINK TO" could continue working or just be changed to point people at the new syntax perhaps.

I would disable the old syntax. It will be less convenient at first, but as people adjust, it will prevent the vast majority of such misgweths.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Improving Albredine 03/03/2016 12:20 AM CST
>>I would disable the old syntax. It will be less convenient at first, but as people adjust, it will prevent the vast majority of such misgweths.

I agree with the idea of changing the verb used for albredine. PROJECT is a good one; perhaps PROJECT GROUP for colored albredine. I recall the whole TAP thing being so annoying back in the day that I would write what I wanted to say, cut it, TAP, and then paste to make sure I got it out within the window.

>>Logs of them being wonky might be helpful, especially if there's messaging.

I pulled a couple out to test. In the past I recall having serious issues trying to attune them at all, getting all kinds of "that won't fit on your finger" messages. However I wasn't able to replicate that this time. They actually worked as intended to attune them, wear them among all parties, and use the TAP-then-THINK command.

I did find that after attuning them once, then retuning them to colorless using a knife, they took on their old color again when re-worn. This means that you really have to be sure you're using fresh rings.

- Navesi
Re: Improving Albredine 03/03/2016 08:22 AM CST
It has been pointed out to me that the crystal rings have an existing work around. In Wizard and StormFront, there is a setting "Think To Shortcut", which allows you to use <name>:<message> to prevent mis-gweths. In StormFront, it is in Options -> Advanced. In Genie, you would have to set up an alias so it works how you want.

>I did find that after attuning them once, then retuning them to colorless using a knife, they took on their old color again when re-worn.

This is intended when retuning. You shouldn't need to retune them for any reason other than you want to, but I realize there may be a bug with that.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Improving Albredine 03/03/2016 03:15 PM CST
I more or less just would be excited to see these things come down the pipeline.

I do think the colored rings are screwy and have ceased using them in total because of such.

Also any type of combining into one ring for both, maybe a dull colorless 'crystal' could be added to the new ring and just start a whole new code for it all, burrowing from both old stuff as needed. So basically it's all new.

Not sure what would be the better rate of return.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Improving Albredine 03/03/2016 11:00 PM CST
>>It has been pointed out to me that the crystal rings have an existing work around.

While I am glad these exist, I would still really like to see a verb change, mainly because a lot of people aren't aware of this workaround and probably won't become aware. There are also other FEs out there (Avalon, Outlander, Warlock, web FE).

>>This is intended when retuning. You shouldn't need to retune them for any reason other than you want to, but I realize there may be a bug with that.

I'm not really sure why retuning exists then. It has only served to confuse me.

- Navesi
Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 08:17 AM CST
>I'm not really sure why retuning exists then.

Say you find one and wear it. Now it's your random color. But you want to join that group's discussion, not start your own group. Retuning supports that.

Or, you've lost interest in the current group you're listening to, and want to listen to someone else. Retuning supports that as well.

>While I am glad these exist, I would still really like to see

Like I said, I'm willing to make some updates, but they have to get approved and I can't really talk about them until they do.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 03:08 PM CST
I think if tuning/retuning could be less clunky that would go a long way toward making them more useful.

Mazrian
Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 04:54 PM CST
>>Say you find one and wear it. Now it's your random color. But you want to join that group's discussion, not start your own group. Retuning supports that.

Okay, I think we had a disconnect. I reported that I found no way to retune to a different color. The ring I tried simply returned to the first person's color. I.e. I could find no way to get the color to change to anything but Color 1 and Colorless.

Am I missing something in the method to use to retune properly? I tapped the ring with a knife, it became colorless again, and then I gave it to another person to wear. They wore it but instead of getting THEIR random color, they got the original color again.

- Navesi
Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 05:06 PM CST
>They wore it but instead of getting THEIR random color

Yeah, we deffinitely had a disconnect. You're saying that you wore a ring, held it, tapped it with a knife, gave it to someone else, and they were able to successfully wear it? That is a bug.

To reattune your ring (ring 1) to someone else's ring (ring 2) color:
- Hold ring 1 and a metal weapon
- TAP RING
- Hold ring 1 and ring 2
- TAP RING

Javac
That one guy

Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 05:21 PM CST
Ah ha.

>>You're saying that you wore a ring, held it, tapped it with a knife, gave it to someone else, and they were able to successfully wear it?

Yes.

I should mention that the fact that it becomes colorless again is confusing. It makes it seem like it's an unattuned ring that can go to someone else. Maybe it could become a different color if it's already been used, like dull grey or something?

- Navesi
Re: Improving Albredine 03/04/2016 05:23 PM CST
Even with the bugs aside, all this just goes back to the fact that the system does not benefit from being this convoluted and opaque.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Improving Albredine 09/27/2016 11:27 PM CDT
I was going to post this in a new thread but I see the OP of this one has eloquently stated the same thing I was planning to. Any updates on the possibility of changing THINK TO to a different syntax?

As entertaining and illuminating as mis-gweths are this seems like something that could be easily rectified by changing the verb for rings to PROJECT <name> or something similar. Yeah it might take people a few weeks to adjust but this is not something that is going to unnecessarily break a lot of scripts. It would just be a really good QoL change.

I know there are workarounds for SF and Isharon made a good one for Genie, but a change in syntax would be FE-agnostic and benefit us all.
Re: Improving Albredine 09/28/2016 03:56 PM CDT
Funny you should post now. I was just working on these on Monday. We're through the approval process, into the working on it and QC process. Still no firm ETA, but sooner than simu-soon.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Improving Albredine 09/28/2016 06:44 PM CDT
Wow, not the response I was expecting but a welcome one to be sure. Looking forward to it Javac, thank you very much for the update!
Re: Improving Albredine 09/29/2016 04:37 AM CDT
>>DR-Javac: Funny you should post now. I was just working on these on Monday.

Any hints on what that might entail?

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Improving Albredine 09/29/2016 01:39 PM CDT
>Any hints on what that might entail?

The plan is this:
- Colored rings no longer bond. You can wear it to set its color, then hand it off to another player. The old tapping a colored and uncolored ring is still in place. As is the tapping two colored rings (i.e. don't, if you value your hands).
- Colored rings will function with the new verb PROJECT.
- Colored rings will use a charge system closer to gweths and crystal rings.
- Crystal rings will function with the new verb SEND.
- Gweths are unchanged.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Improving Albredine 09/29/2016 07:05 PM CDT
>>DR-Javac: Colored rings no longer bond. You can wear it to set its color, then hand it off to another player. The old tapping a colored and uncolored ring is still in place.

Is there any chance that the user could cycle through color channels (instead of having to find a person or another ring that is the right color)?

>>DR-Javac: Crystal rings will function with the new verb SEND.

That sounds great. Will you be disabling THINK TO? That would be a little less convenient at first, but I think that's essential to the ultimate goal of reducing inadvertent gweths that were intended to be private.

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

Re: Improving Albredine 09/29/2016 07:34 PM CDT
>Is there any chance that the user could cycle through color channels (instead of having to find a person or another ring that is the right color)?

Not really. Technically it'd be possible, but it'd be so un-useful as to be useless. The ring's color is not the channel; it's possible to have two rings be the same color and on different channels.

>Will you be disabling THINK TO?

Yes, I plan to disable THINK TO, and replace it with messaging indicating that functionality moved to SEND.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Improving Albredine 09/29/2016 08:31 PM CDT
>Yes, I plan to disable THINK TO, and replace it with messaging indicating that functionality moved to SEND.

Really great news!
Re: Improving Albredine 09/30/2016 07:42 PM CDT
>I plan to disable THINK TO

Does this change affect Thoughtcast as well? Will return thoughtcast change to Send or remain Think To?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Improving Albredine 09/30/2016 07:53 PM CDT
As long as I can still use the Name:Message syntax in SF I don't really care what the actual command is.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Improving Albredine 10/01/2016 02:10 PM CDT
>Does this change affect Thoughtcast as well? Will return thoughtcast change to Send or remain Think To?

Good question. I have no idea how return Thoughtcast works, I'll investigate.

>As long as I can still use the Name:Message syntax in SF I don't really care what the actual command is.

Hmm. I'll have to double check this, as I'm not sure how it works. It may just be sending the command THINK TO, and would need to be changed by on site. If that's the case, I'll leave THINK TO enabled until we can get it changed.

Javac
That one guy