gem & materials clarifications 02/19/2020 10:31 PM CST
I've been documenting some...er...acquisitions from the new Breaking and Entering system loot, and let me say, very nice to see some harder to find gems and materials on items. Anyhow, wasn't quite sure where to put these questions, since they aren't event related and they aren't really concerning the BnE system either, hopefully this folder works...

Questions on the following gems:
- Adderstone: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- black ruby: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- cinnabar: is this considered (in DR) a stone, a gem or both? There is both a "Necromancer cinnabar" which is a gem from the Taisidon ilomba chests, but then the BnE mortar would likely be stone.
- druzy quartz: is this it's own material, "druzy quartz" as a naturally occurring crystal-on-crystal material, or is it quartz in the druzy style like some modern RL jewelry where it's more like pressed quartz chips? And on the wiki I'm seeing items as both "druzy quartz" and "quartz druzy", are those the same materials or should they be 2 separate pages? And then is this common or required for alterations?
- gocen tuilis: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common? Also, it's obviously a racial gem (Elven pearl?), any history or lore for it? And weirdly enough, looks like there is also a food item with this name from a Ratha Carnival event (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Concession_Stand_(2) ), so...
- green diamond: is this required to be provided for alterations (like lilac or pink diamonds) or is it common?
- iniskim: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common? Also, is it considered (in DR) a stone, a gem or both?
- Larimar: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common? Also, is it considered (in DR) a stone, a gem or both?
- picture jasper: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- porphyry: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common? Also, is it considered (in DR) a stone, a gem or both?
- scarlet spinel: is this required to be provided for alterations (like dusk or zenith spinels) or is it common?
- wine jasper: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- winter opal: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?

Questions on the following woods:
- Acacia: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- Anli: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- bog oak: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- purpleheart: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- Wyndwood‎: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- zulnatha: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?

Questions on the following stone:
- Bargate: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?

Questions on the following cloth:
- Brocatelle: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- chainsil: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- dimity: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- Gabardine: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- Jacquard: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?
- Organza: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?

Questions on the following metal:
- anlora-avtoma: is this required to be provided for alterations or is it common?

And of course, any lore or descriptions that can be provided on the above I'll add over on the wiki as well. Thanks in advance when a GM get's the time!

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: gem & materials clarifications 02/20/2020 12:48 AM CST
Goodness, that's quite a list of materials!

I've provided a lot of clarifications and answers below, but I want to be very explicit that while MOST of the below list is considered common - some items may still be requested by a Merchant if they choose to require the resource be provided. Not all merchants pack around a large variety of materials on them, so I still recommend you plan to provide materials for alterations if it's something you haven't seen a lot of.

Gems/Stones:

- Adderstone: This is a very common stone. Adderstone is a semiprecious material that somewhat resembles opal. It is typically deep black, shot with bands of red and green. The stone is popular among followers of Ushnish.

- black ruby: These are considered common. Black ruby is a type of ruby with an almost solid black core that has an appearance similar to shiny flint, with only small hints of red at the very edges. It is usually round cut.

- cinnabar: Cinnabar is considered a common stone. Necromancer cinnabar is very much NOT common and would need to be provided.

- druzy quartz: Druzy quartz is its own material. In this case, 'druzy quartz' refers to a collection of tiny crystals covering the surface of a stone. The crystals can appear in varying shades of yellow, orange, red, and brown and in rare cases, they may also appear as green garnet crystals or brilliant blue azurite crystals covering stone.

Another naming variant is "drusy quartz". I'm not sure where "quartz drusy" originated from, but I'll see if I can dig up more info.

Common colors of druzy quartz are considered common, rare colors may need to be provided.

- gocen tuilis: These are tiny blue pearls from M'riss. Looks like someone was trying to sell "gocen tuilisan" at the Ratha Carnival - which are tiny snails with iridescent, sky-blue shells.

- green diamond: Uncommonly common, and often must be provided for alterations like lilac and pink diamonds. Ranges in color from very pale to deep green.

- iniskim: This gem can also be called ammolite and is considered common. It's an opal-like organic gemstone that's made from the fossilized shells of ammonites. It often has a beautiful rippling iridescent pattern that resembles dragon scales and comes in a wide variety of vivid colors. Its exterior is typically clear, but the individual pieces of its interior resemble colored mother-of-pearl.

- larimar: This is a gem and is considered common. Larimar is usually a sky-blue stone, though it can range from white to deep blue (aka volcanic blue). Though very clear, it's softer than diamond and is often very simply cut to show off its quality. It typically comes in large chunks of pressed rock similar to geodes.

- picture jasper: These are considered common, but may be requested.

- porphyry: This is a stone and is quite common.

- scarlet spinel: These are considered common. Vivid brick red in color, sometimes found with and mistaken for ruby.

- wine jasper: These are considered common, but may be requested. Wine jaspers are a dark, almost purplish shade of jasper similar to red wine, with very few if any inclusions.

- winter opal: These are considered common, but may be requested.

Questions on the following woods:

- acacia: common.
- anli: common
- bog oak: common
- purpleheart: common
- Wyndwood‎: common
- zulnatha: common

Questions on the following stone:
- Bargate: common

Questions on the following cloth:
- brocatelle: Common
- chainsil: Common
- dimity: Common
- gabardine: common
- jacquard: common
- Organza: common

Questions on the following metal:
- anlora-avtoma: common

Tullie
Re: gem & materials clarifications 02/20/2020 11:59 AM CST
Thanks for the quick response Tullie!

>Goodness, that's quite a list of materials!
I know, right?! Whomever helped put together the loot table for the BnE system really did a deep dive on materials, there are some I haven't seen in ages and some that, to me anyhow, are brand new. Very neat!

I'll get this info all copied over to the wiki pages so it'll be ready for aspiring designers next time an alterer is scheduled...:)

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: gem & materials clarifications 02/20/2020 03:02 PM CST
>I'm not sure where "quartz drusy" originated from, but I'll see if I can dig up more info.

Don't spend too much time on this, I think I may have been wiki-drunk last night when I was working on all this. I swear I saw "quartz drusy" on search results last night, but when I checked them again just now, they are all "drusy quartz".

>- gocen tuilis: These are tiny blue pearls from M'riss. Looks like someone was trying to sell "gocen tuilisan" at the Ratha Carnival - which are tiny snails with iridescent, sky-blue shells.
Are the M'riss pearls (gocen tuilis) common then? And is there any direct connection between the pearls and the snails, like a common cove where they are found that makes them have similar coloring, or is it just a happy accident of naming?

And thanks again for taking the time to give more info on materials! If there are any other "material lore" notes that you (or the other GM's) would like added to the wiki, please feel free to dump that info here...myself or one of the other wiki editors will get that documented for posterity...:)

~*~ Kythryn ~*~