Minimalist Training 08/03/2018 11:07 AM CDT
How important is it to train everything from a PvE point of view? I have played this game on and off for years but I always get drawn into maxing my TDPs. Don’t get me wrong, I love writing scripts but what ends up happening is my character advances slowly up the hunting ladder and I lose interest.

I guess I am asking if I train the minimal required ranks plus a few extra weapons that I find fun is it possible to reach higher circles(150ish)? It sounds silly but I feel like I am damaging my character if I don’t train every weapon.

Aselna
Re: Minimalist Training 08/03/2018 11:14 AM CDT
>>I guess I am asking if I train the minimal required ranks plus a few extra weapons that I find fun is it possible to reach higher circles(150ish)? It sounds silly but I feel like I am damaging my character if I don’t train every weapon.<<

You can do it and you'll be absolutely fine for everything PvE. =)

Mazrian
Re: Minimalist Training 08/03/2018 01:10 PM CDT
I used to run into the same issue, got plagued wanting to train everything. Every crafting skill, every weapon, etc., really bogged down my leveling pace for several years.

What's ironic is that back-training becomes a lot easier at high circles anyways. Higher mentals means better experience pulses, and in combat especially critters have huge teaching ranges. Between buffs, debuffs, and melee/missile mastery it's not a stretch to back-train weapons that are hundreds of ranks lower than a critter's advertised difficulty level.

I'd encourage you to maximize your minimalist training (i.e. it's quite easy as a Warrior Mage to mind lock 4-5 weapons before TM locks, instead of just doing the minimum 3), but being minimal and focusing on power circling is quite fine. I'd even go so far as to say I encourage it to a certain point.
Re: Minimalist Training 08/03/2018 03:06 PM CDT
I find that a nice balancing point is to pick 2 melee and 2 ranged weapons -- or at least 1 and 1. That way you aren't bogged down with a ton of weapons but you're still getting Melee and Missile masteries moving nicely. Throw in a clown suit and you can feel like you're really generating those TDPs for almost no extra time. This way you can let go of all the extras but still be "maximizing" a little.

That said, as Mazrian pointed out, it's totally possible to reach higher levels without any maximizing at all. If at that point you decide you want to bring in a few more skills, the masteries and your higher stats and spells will help immensely with backtraining.

- Navesi