Exponential Stealing Fines 05/18/2018 01:53 PM CDT
So, I feel like stealing is punitive enough with the arrests and gweth charges and nominal fines as is that negate any sort of profit.

Is there any reason to keep the exponentially escalating fines? I'm getting 16-20k plat fines (for stealing low cost items) in Crossing when trying to train thievery, and frankly it's becoming ridiculous. Why should I have to stop practicing a skill for multiple days -- no other skill is this punitive.

Thoughts?
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/18/2018 02:25 PM CDT

16-20 K plat? As in 20,000 platinum kronars? Because if so, that's definitely an error somewhere. Pleading innocent doubles it when you're found guilty, as an aside, and it will gradually decrease if you don't get arrested in that area for a while. Go to another neighborhood, or stop getting caught.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/18/2018 04:55 PM CDT
Ya, I'm going to need more data myself. Bear in mind I hate/loathe/detest the stealing system and wish it would be removed.

I steal daily and haven't ever gotten that bad.

I hate to make blanket accusations, but it sounds like you're running a script where you get caught, a ton, and are pleading innocent and letting the fines rack up.

There's some cool down timers involved, but I don't think you're giving them a chance to actually work.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/18/2018 05:09 PM CDT
Sorry, that was a mistype -- 20 plat fines.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/18/2018 06:39 PM CDT
Honestly, even 20 plat is higher than I expect with the modern stealing mechanics.

Is this a common thing, as in every day? What are you doing? What are you stealing, where, when, and how often are you getting caught? How often are you surrendering? Are you pleading guilty? Are you waiting to get caught? What's your charisma and guild?

My personal pattern is surrender after each run, and I rarely get more than a gold or two at 200+ ranks of stealing.

For 20 plat, I think there's some things we can improve (and I still think it sounds like you're running a bad script and simply not corralling it)
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/19/2018 05:39 PM CDT
Yep, every day. Granted, I try to steal every other hour or so to keep it moving while I'm on. I usually get jailed maybe every other stealing run, which is to say I get caught maybe once during one run, then three times during another, before jail. So, there's not a whole lot of thefts being registered under each confinement. It's just hard to keep it moving with the built in timers, so I make it a point to do it more often. I think the heat timer is centered around the 1 hour cooldown for stealing and set to a similarly punitive time period.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/19/2018 07:32 PM CDT
Ya, it sounds like the problem is the volume of thefts.

Are you turning yourself in every run? That will help. And are you pleading guilty? Failing an innocent will massively increase your fines.

What ranks are we talking here? Around 220 I get caught about 1 time per run, and usually plead guilty for time in the stocks.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/19/2018 09:07 PM CDT
Stealing smart can completely negate 20 plat fines. That's just silly. Are you even using Mark?

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/20/2018 09:32 AM CDT
No access to Mark, not a thief.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/20/2018 09:33 AM CDT
Also, I do plead guilty every time to minimize the fine, but they remain high. At a bit over 300 ranks now, non thief.
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/20/2018 09:36 AM CDT

Are you only stealing in one city in the same province? If memory serves, the potential fine goes up each time you're caught in the same city/province. Maybe traveling between major cities for each round of stealing would do some good? 'Haven one round, Crossing next time, Shard the third, etc. Keeps wanted levels down in each province and reduces the potential for compounding fines from being nabbed repeatedly in the same town.

-N
Re: Exponential Stealing Fines 05/20/2018 10:06 AM CDT

I'm a non-thief so also no mark, been stealing in Ilithi only for at least the last year, never turn myself in, and my fines usually sit between 2-4 plat. I'm also stealing much higher value items. I had seen my fines start to creep when I was up north and stealing from everywhere (before the thievery rewrite). I turned myself in in all locations and now just stuck to the Horse/Shard area to steal so letting those cities "cool off".

I suspect fines may creep up a bit more, but at that point hopefully I'm at a spot to move hunting areas and relocate. I have a trigger to echo the item into a separate window in genie every time I get caught so I can see if there's a trend for certain items I need to reduce quantity on or change.

Jalika