Retreat and Death 03/09/2018 06:00 PM CST
How do I retreat? This afternoon I had three favors. I went to fight goblins, stopped learning tactics from them, started training with giant wasps. I got an infection, then spent twenty minutes trying to retreat while they slowly killed me.

I depart because I didn't see anyone else hunting in the area. I lost my favors, decided to get three more, was following the directions from the Crossing, but was too slow. I got engaged by a champion guardian. At that point I quit and decided to ask for help.

What happens when I die without favors? Why isn't retreat working? Did I do something wrong?

Elior the Exhausted Empath
Re: Retreat and Death 03/09/2018 06:20 PM CST

This is why we need a wider accessible OOC newbie chatter channel.

This might still apply to you,
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Divine_charm

Otherwise, if you depart without favors, you get hit with a moderate bad Deaths Sting, that'll go away in not too long. The Champion Guardian was an invasion mob, so, bad luck there. It sounds like you know about RETREAT, but if not, that's how you disengage from combat. You can also FLEE [direction], though this is a little riskier.

As an Empath, some tools that will help you get out of unwanted combat are Nissa's Binding and Innocence.
Re: Retreat and Death 03/10/2018 11:03 PM CST
A couple of notes about retreating:

When using RETREAT, one thing that often hinders people is armor. I know it may be counter-intuitive, but if you try taking off a big piece of armor or two first, you may suddenly find yourself able to get out.

Also, balance seems to play a role. If you CIRCLE a few times (or maybe BOB?), you may regain some balance and find yourself able to get out.

Further, as mentioned, you can use FLEE to get out of combat too. Don't be alarmed the first time you try it, as it works a little differently. It will take a chunk of your fatigue, then wait ~10 seconds before it tries to extract you -- you can still be hit during this time and the flee might even fail because of it! But it's better than being totally stuck. Use FLEE <direction> to go in a direction (usually best). You can also FLEE in a direction that doesn't exist to just go to missile range, e.g. FLEE OUT in a room without "out."

Finally, you may also wish to make some use of stealth. For example, you could hide and eat some remedies quickly, or even cast some healing spells (though you'll have to re-hide). It can give you a chance to catch your breath and figure out which of the above you'd like to try. Keep in mind that FLEE is probably best against a creature that vastly outclasses you, like that invasion guardian.

Oh, and check out that divine charm, and try to build up to ~10 favors to give yourself some leeway!

- Navesi
Re: Retreat and Death 03/12/2018 09:59 AM CDT
shove;face next is your best friend at low levels for a quick getaway