Prev_page Previous 1
What's your hook? 01/11/2010 03:46 AM CST
What's your hook?

Your hook is the one piece you always want at the top - the first thing people see when they look at you.

What do you make the most prominent piece of your outfit to keep them looking?

> 2. You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
Re: What's your hook? 01/11/2010 06:11 AM CST
None. I'm a minimalist and would rather not assault anyone's eyes with a wall of fluff text if they look at me.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: What's your hook? 01/11/2010 11:15 PM CST
>>What do you make the most prominent piece of your outfit to keep them looking?

I guess I'm a little different from most, as I don't arrange my inventory in head-to-toe order, but rather in a sort of basics to accessories order. My first item is always what I would consider the biggest/most prominent thing someone would notice when looking at my character, which is my robe.

- a black cloth robe with a dark grey belt hanging loosely

Followed by pants and sandals, as those complete the basic outfit.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: What's your hook? 01/14/2010 04:03 PM CST
Probably a dark arzumos pelt moneybelt that I had altered by Nyghil(sp).

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: What's your hook? 02/02/2010 07:38 AM CST
I go head to toe, so it's usually a circlet.

a delicate silver circlet replete with arcing clusters of pristine dove feathers
LOOK: Masterfully crafted from Elven silver, the circlet is designed to wrap comfortably around the head of the wearer as it plunges downward to form a point near the brow. A regal spray of silver-tipped dove feathers is situated on each side of the circlet, mimicking the graceful stance of flight.

or..

a simple vine circlet interwoven with pale rowan flowers
LOOK: Thin ribbons of azure and silver have been woven amidst the tightly braided vines of the circlet, broken only by perfectly preserved rowan blossoms that give the circlet an air of refined elegance.

- Terra
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 12:30 PM CST
You are wearing a darkened steel helm crafted into a draconian skull with twisted anlora-avtoma horns,

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 01:44 PM CST
>>a darkened steel helm crafted into a draconian skull with twisted anlora-avtoma horns

A+

- Terra
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 02:17 PM CST
It's conveniently the first thing shown after sort auto head.

I should also point out that Reene helped a great deal with all the pieces of Vash's armor - I had absolutely no success getting the designs into words myself, and she added some really great touches I would never have thought up.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 02:22 PM CST
Reene does wonders with words and decriptions. There are some very talented people in Elanthia, I paid one not long ago to do a portrait of my character. She did an awesome job witht he art, I wish I knew how to make it as an avatar and get some use out of it so other can enjoy it. As soon as I get my new system (a month or so as its in the building process) I will try and post it somewhere.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 03:00 PM CST
That's good. I like designing clothing (I'm currently working on someone's wedding package, usually have a project like that going) but I usually come to a loss when it comes to weapons and armor. Some of the best designed weapons I seen have come from Cerval, he's really good at doing weapons and armor.

Also, Miv. Is there any place to view that portrait? I would love to see it. You should put it on Elanthipedia, that's where I have Terra's portrait.

- Terra
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 03:12 PM CST
<<You are wearing a darkened steel helm crafted into a draconian skull with twisted anlora-avtoma horns,>>

I hate to be that person, but...

If you are trying to have this item look like a dragon's skull, the appropriate word to use would be "draconic."

Draconian is from a different word root (greek instead of latin) and is used to refer to rules or laws that are very harsh or unfair.

Although I find the idea of a strict, oppressive skull-helm kind of amusing! :)
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 03:30 PM CST
Yeeah, that's not right. I don't remember if I gave it to him like that (derp) or if it got changed.

Either way, can fix it by assisting probably.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 04:05 PM CST
I, for one, welcome our new draconian skull overlords.

>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 08:09 PM CST
either...

!>tap greats
You tap a slender black kertig greatsword with a single-edged blade backed by vicious spines that you are holding.

Nearly eighteen hands from hilt to tip, dense kertig enables this enormous weapon to be remarkably slender yet heavy enough to cleave flesh and armor alike. Balanced by a full tang witchclaw hilt wrapped in blood-red nightreaver silk, the blade bears the slightest curve and harbors a series of vicious spikes along its spine, both a grim unpolished black. Standing in stark contrast, the silver edge is honed to a razor's sharpness -- gleaming darkly with promised malevolence.

or, when i don't feel like carrying around my greatsword and leaning on it from time to time...

You tap a macabre chain coif bearing a featureless bone facemask and long spiky mane bound in kertig that you are wearing.

Lined in nightreaver silk for comfort, the chain coif bears an angular bone faceplate - featureless save for narrow eye slits that give it a harrowing countenance. A waist-length mane of dark horsehair follows a natural hairline, what appeared to be random spikes from afar are scraggly vulture feathers woven in with blood-red cords that keep it from becoming too unruly. A heavy kertig ring between the shoulder blades keeps the long hair clear of bladed combat.
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 08:11 PM CST
mine is...

>inv
You are wearing a heavy ironwood war spear with a long steel blade affixed by a spiked bronze ring,

>lo spear
Damascened steel with a pattern reminiscent of harsh Velakan dunes has been forged into a double-edged blade that extends nearly two feet from a thick metal hoop. Hammered into a stylized sun with sharpened rays, the bronze ring encircles a fist-sized void between the base of the blade and the shaft. Stout ironwood wrapped in yeehar hide marks this as a desert warrior's weapon, its heavy tip counterbalanced at the shaft's end by a long bronze spike engraved with Ilithic script.
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 08:54 PM CST
Not as fancy, but:

a flat black greatsword

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
bone-crushing slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the greatsword is dismally balanced and is excellently suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the greatsword is very strong, and is practically in mint condition.

The greatsword is made with metal.
You are certain that the greatsword weighs exactly 162 stones.

...it makes an impact
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 09:17 PM CST
My Barbarian is Kaldar.

I used up an alteration on the balanced Elothean composite from Renshear's tent because the refurbished Gorbesh composite bow, when I checked it, appraised like the actual old invasions bows (i.e. shitty). I obviously couldn't alter an Elothean Renshear bow to be a Gorbesh bow.

The last time Renshear appeared I appraised the refurbished bow again for spits and giggles and it's stats were updated to be like the other bows, so I had to switch to it :(.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: What's your hook? 02/03/2010 09:57 PM CST
<<I hate to be that person, but...>>

I'm glad you caught it, thanks for mentioning the error.

You are wearing a darkened steel helm crafted into a draconic skull with twisted anlora-avtoma horns,

Re: What's your hook? 02/04/2010 08:42 PM CST
for my trader -

a diaphanous plum silk sari shot through with shimmering gold threads
Look: Outlines of golden starbursts glisten along the edges of the vibrantly hued fabric, the subtle design emphasized by the golden silk that forms the choli and petticoat beneath the flowing purple garment. A tiny mirrored disc adorns the center of each starburst and causes the lustrous sari to sparkle when caught in ambient light.

my bard -

a high-collared longcoat of purple satin beautifully embroidered with cherry blossoms
look: Tailored for a snug fit across the upper torso, this bell-sleeved garment is designed to sheath the figure from a narrow collar to a trim waistline before expanding out in elegantly draped, calf-length folds. Delicate pale blossoms stitched with glistening spidersilk threads drift across the lustrous material as if eternally caught in a gentle breeze.

basic concepts by me, made all purdy by Iliani
Re: What's your hook? 02/04/2010 09:49 PM CST
That's an interesting sari, I really love them. I've had two altered myself.

TAP: a simple ivory sari pinned at the hip by a silver brooch
LOOK: Cut to wrap snuggly about the upper torso, leaving one shoulder provocatively bare, the sari is hemmed in metallic sapphire silk threads that lend a gentle shimmer to this simple yet elegant garment. The silver brooch, formed of a small sapphire embedded in rich pool of silver, holds the fabric securely at one hip while allowing the rest of the fabric to pool in softly draping folds.

TAP: a form-fitting sari elegantly draped in deepening shades of blue silk
LOOK: There is none, because Snidley said that the TAP was too risque as it was and he didn't want to add anything more alluring for fear of looking skanky. (That's basically what he was saying, not word for word though surprisingly)
<3 Snidley

- Terra
Re: What's your hook? 02/05/2010 08:17 AM CST
I dig the saris. The only problem I have is this:

>Cut to wrap snuggly about the upper torso

A sari isn't really cut to do anything. It's a long piece of fabric that can be wrapped in any number of ways to achieve a number of styles. If you've ever seen one unwrapped, it's literally just a bolt of fabric several yards long.

I think it would make more sense if it just said "Wrapped snuggly about the upper torso", but it's a pretty design nonetheless.

They also aren't traditionally hemmed or sewn in any way, but that's something I'm more willing to overlook as a real life vs. Elanthia inconsistency.

"Ridicule may lawfully be employed where reason has no hope of success."
Re: What's your hook? 02/05/2010 09:04 AM CST
In my defense, I did not have the ivory sari done, although it is based off of one of my original designs which I believe did say cut, but the hemwork belongs to the person who made it.

But thank you :-)

- Terra
Re: What's your hook? 02/06/2010 10:36 PM CST
And as another defense, it'd come off looking strange wrapped snuggly about the upper torso while laying on the ground, held in hands, or even in a pack.

Telrenth
Re: What's your hook? 02/08/2010 06:47 AM CST
>And as another defense, it'd come off looking strange wrapped snuggly about the upper torso while laying on the ground, held in hands, or even in a pack.

Touche. There really is no good way to do it, so we'll just have to accept that saris in DR are not the same as saris in the real world, I suppose.

"Ridicule may lawfully be employed where reason has no hope of success."
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 11:10 AM CST

Zoluren's Ball is coming up. The color theme this time: Yellow and Jade.

People have been amazingly great about finding and wearing color appropriate outfits for this event in the past.

So, what ya wearing?

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 11:18 AM CST
Balls really don't suit my character, but I did a quick search of his vault and inventory out of curiosity.

The best I could do is show up wearing a JADEite gweth and holding an unidentified YELLOWed scroll.

Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 11:20 AM CST
The only thing I have that is yellow in my vault is a yellow construction hat from one of those construction events.. that work? :D
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 11:49 AM CST
Both I and my character hate yellow.

This will be fun.

__
So Huldah was all "IS IT UP YET, IS IT UP YET? OH GOD I CAN'T FEEL MY TOES. HOLD ME PAL!" And I was all, "Shush, I'm playing CivIII while I wait for laundry to finish, it will BE OKAY."
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 12:11 PM CST
Agreed, talk about a pair of colors I have no interest in wearing, sigh.

I'll try and throw something together but men's clothing in those colors is pretty rough to come by.

I'd kill for a black and white ball!

- Starlear -
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 12:57 PM CST
Can I wear my Packers jersey?

GENT
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 01:27 PM CST
If I show up with a yellow parasol and a yellow rubber duck will I be under dressed?

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: What's your hook? 02/28/2010 05:26 PM CST
I don't understand this color theme at all.

Didn't we have it once before anyway?

And talk about two colors that don't go together.

I would have preferred black and white, plus those colors fit the idea of a memorial better. :|

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: What's your hook? 03/01/2010 04:14 AM CST
dunno about jade, but fer yellow can we kidnap sir robyn?

the world is broken
Re: What's your hook? 03/01/2010 05:50 AM CST
<<I would have preferred black and white, plus those colors fit the idea of a memorial better. :|>>

I would wager that I have one of the few characters in Elanthia who already possesses yellow formal wear.

And I would still prefer it to be a black and white ball. :)

~Laril
Re: What's your hook? 03/01/2010 07:25 AM CST
>><<I would have preferred black and white, plus those colors fit the idea of a memorial better. :|

Not all cultures mourn death. Some view it as a passing from one life to another and celebrate it.
Re: What's your hook? 03/01/2010 10:45 AM CST
Black and white is soooooooooo over rated!

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: What's your hook? 03/01/2010 12:53 PM CST

Wow, you off topic'd my thread hijack.

As we don't get to vote, what are you going to wear?

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: What's your hook? 03/02/2010 04:00 AM CST
Ugh, this is going to be a problem as I see it.

Rallyne owns nothing in yellow OR jade and a few trips to the bazaar yielded nothing from the traders. Apparently most of them don't have those colors so Rallyne was hoping there might be a special merchant traveling through soon with a selection to choose from.

Rallyne
Re: What's your hook? 03/02/2010 04:05 AM CST
Fortunately it said that jade the stone would suffice.

So if Snidley or any other alterers come by like they usually do, keep in mind that jade comes in many, many colors, and you could just get an outfit in a neutral color with some color of jade stone as an accent.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: What's your hook? 03/02/2010 04:20 AM CST
You're right and if I have to resort to that I can but somehow I think its cheap wearing an ivory gown with a jade stone clasp, you know?

Rallyne
Prev_page Previous 1