Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 12:42 AM CDT
Does anyone have a description of what a heartstone is supposed to look like? It would be nice to know more about molten-core diamonds too.

If anyone has info on either, mind sharing?

Rev. Reene

"When a thing seals itself against its own destruction, it merely dies a different death. All things have a common ground in decay. War is necessary. Death is necessary. Decay is necessary."
Re: Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 03:18 AM CDT
A heart stone is suppose to look like a dragon's heart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartstone

A molten core diamond is a very very rare diamond that during compression -shifted- and is equivilant of a cats Eye marble in design, in general terms. They don't have a "liquid core" which, does happen on occasion, usually methane, but a "fracture" or break that appears to move as the diamond does.

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 03:23 AM CDT
>> A heart stone is suppose to look like a dragon's heart.

It comes from vulture hearts in DR, not dragon hearts. I imagine it's different from what's described in that article.

I've never heard of a molten-core diamond IRL and I'm a bit of a gemstone aficionado (yeah I'm nerdy). Could you point me to an article about this? Cursory google searches show me nothing about this. It does show me a supposed description of one, but I was more interested in some extra lorewonkery about how they're created.

Rev. Reene

"When a thing seals itself against its own destruction, it merely dies a different death. All things have a common ground in decay. War is necessary. Death is necessary. Decay is necessary."
Re: Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 03:29 AM CDT
I'm not sure about "pages" you could find it on, but that's what grampa told me about them.

The Koh I Noor diamond is , at least in this photo, a decent example of such, though that may be the cut or the setting giving that appearance.

http://www.diamondiva.com/101/koh-i-noor/

(Grampa would kill me(GRHS) if I screwed up on gem info)

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.
Re: Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 02:59 PM CDT
Gems are awesome, its one of the reaons I live where I do, we have garnets (the rare ones) that we can dig in our garden not to mention the sapphires, opals and the very rare emerald. In fact the entire bottom of our aquarium is about 3 inches thick of beautiful red garnets.

Wish I had the knowledge to facet them... maybe one day.

I also love the fact that the stones in game come in such varied variety, makes it fun to find them.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Gem descriptions 06/07/2009 07:38 PM CDT
I've always wanted to learn how to make wirework jewelry in real life, I've just never had the time and money to sink into it. Maybe someday when I'm old and rich.

Still WTB information about heartstones.

Rev. Reene

Re: Gem descriptions 06/08/2009 01:33 AM CDT
The very few "heartstones" I've seen, IRL, were really just fist sized blood stones, cut into a "crown heart" or Cordial cut.

I don't know what difference between that link and the sun vulture's dried heart heartstone other than dragon/sun vulture there would be?

Oh, and you don't need a lot of money to learn wire wrap, there's a book sells for just about 15 bucks(used) and you can practice with 5 dollar wire from the hardware store, magnet wire makes for pretty colors.

Re: Gem descriptions 06/08/2009 04:30 AM CDT
Well Renee if you ever find yourself in or near the Bitteroot mountains in Idaho (The gem state), send me an e-mail we have plenty of room and excellent gem sites and mines.

I know next to nothing about heartstones.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Gem descriptions 06/17/2009 03:00 PM CDT
Molten core diamonds in DR are a little different. Here's the official description:

"A small pool of molten lava rests within unfinished diamond, its dull red light refracted though its crystal clear cocoon. Although the lava resting at the heart of the diamond is clearly molten, its surface remains cool to the touch and undamaged."

~GameMaster Nhia
Weddings Team Coordinator
Elothean Champion Trio

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy
Re: Gem descriptions 06/17/2009 04:51 PM CDT
Awesome, thank you.

Do you guys have anything on heartstones or clear Xibar topazes?

Rev. Reene

Szrael says, "I may deliberately do pretty awful things to my body, but you moon mages let terrible things happen right inside your own skulls."