Prev_page Previous 1
Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 09:24 PM CDT
What is proper etiquette for hunting multiple creatures? I've been training my defenses in leucros for a bit now, generally with 2-3 on me, and a couple of times now people have told me to kill them and would then threaten me when I tell them this is just how I hunt. Does my holding of leucros affect the overall gen rate in the area? And even if it does, isn't it my right, since I waited for them, to hold them as long as I see fit?

I don't wish to fight the overall current of public opinion on this matter if I'm in the wrong, but I feel I should be able to train my skills any way I see fit as long as I don't interfere with others.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 09:36 PM CDT
Most spawn rates are tied to the number of people in the room or zone, depending. Can't, offhand, think of a type of leucros where that isn't true.

Generally speaking, when you're hunting you're free to do as you please. If, however, you end up hogging the only room in an entire hunting ground with decent mana of your type, you may want to consider taking a break.

Like most Barbarians, I tend to stand around with as many targets du jour as I can around me at all times. If anyone told me to kill them, I'd laugh at them, as I do so at my own pace, not theirs. I'm not certain, but if this is a regular occurrence with the same individual(s) you may want to report them for harassment.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 09:43 PM CDT
I spawn 4 leucros in the hunting area by myself. Since that's the melee cap and leads me to believe that other people will spawn 4 themselves, just tell them to take a hike.

Even if that isn't the case. Just do whatever version of a cheap-shot kill your guild has on the whining baby.

~ Purehand
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 09:50 PM CDT
You're allowed to train how you see fit. If they don't like it, they can find another critter to hunt. They don't really have a right to tell you to kill critters because they aren't getting any spawn.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 10:33 PM CDT
I've run into this problem here and there and been on either side of it. The way I handled it is to tell them to bug off when they come to me with it. When I have gone to people with this, like in beisswurms when 2 people sit in a room and have all the spawn when i was at that level, I asked nicely if they wouldn't mind killing like 2 so more come elsewhere. If met with silence cause they are AFK i just kill their critters, if they respond I just killed their critters.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 10:42 PM CDT
As a player, you really can ruin the hunting for other people (especially as an empath) if you don't kill quickly. However, this is really something that the GMs need to address. I mean, it isn't exactly an IC issue.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 10:48 PM CDT
Who cares? Technically speaking, if you need to keep four creatures on you alive to train, you're probably doing it wrong. But its your choice. Sure it might be impeding other people a little bit, but at least you're not running around Bannering every room in a hunting area in an attempt to chase people off. Ahem ahem. But whatever. Train as you please. Though like I said, if you have to keep 4 on you alive in order to train, you might need to rework your training methodology.

- Fist of the Heavens Korsik Rippentropp, Aegis of Justice

I warned you before I'm addicted to war
I was praying for Armageddon on the day I was born
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/19/2010 10:49 PM CDT
I disliked the retreating critters for various reasons but it did do fairly well in most hunting grounds for alleviating the problem of people hogging gen.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 12:31 AM CDT
Certain hunting areas it can really be annoying when someone "hogs" the critters if the spawn is set for a low number. Places set with 2 per hunter for instance, and one player decides to dance with 4, you could sit for an hour and never find something to kill, its frustrating. With 3 per hunter it isnt as bad, you can always find something to kill, but if you want to get 3 or 4 of your own to dance with, you wont till the other person kills or leaves (then you become the hog). Places that spawn 4 per or use special mechanics are the exception.

That said, ettiquette wise, no one is obligated to kill critters just so you can have some. When such problems exists your beef should be with GM who owns the area, not with the other player. I dont think there is anything wrong with politely asking someone to kill a few so you can have some spawn too, but I would not expect them to agree and would not get mad if they do not. If its a frequent problem just find another hunting area with better spawn, drop a note on the board about sucky spawn in the area you just left. But its not the other players fault spawn sucks, nor your fault, you are not obligated to kill nor are they.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:16 AM CDT
>>I'm not certain, but if this is a regular occurrence with the same individual(s) you may want to report them for harassment.

Maybe try RP'ing it out first. Not sure if that is a foreign concept or not.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 06:04 AM CDT
>>As a player, you really can ruin the hunting for other people (especially as an empath) if you don't kill quickly. However, this is really something that the GMs need to address. I mean, it isn't exactly an IC issue.<<

Quoted for emphasis.

There's no formal etiquette about dealing with requests like that, to my knowledge, but killing a couple so the other person can hunt is a decent thing to do that can make you friends and prevent other players getting fed up and doing it for you.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 08:34 AM CDT
> Maybe try RP'ing it out first. Not sure if that is a foreign concept
> or not.

This is not always an option. When I was substantially greener than I am now, I spent a couple of weeks with a thief (not sure if she was guilded or otherwise) brazenly following me about and ensuring I could neither hunt nor carry money.

When I tried to 'RP it out', she sent me an OOC message to the effect that this wasn't even between our characters, but between me, the player, and her, the player.

Not much I could do about that. Fortunately, she knocked it off fairly shortly thereafter.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 09:41 AM CDT
It's stupid in leucros though because they spawn well and you can also just wander across the deadfall for another area.

~ Purehand
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 12:01 PM CDT
>It's stupid in leucros though because they spawn well

No.

>describe boar
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 12:20 PM CDT
Yeah, I did some testing in there and it is annoying. Whatever. Battle the whiner anyway.

~ Purehand

Thank you for constructs.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 12:57 PM CDT
<< if you need to keep four creatures on you alive to train, you're probably doing it wrong.

Strong disagree.

- If I move up and can't keep myself alive with the inevitable 2, 3, or 4, it makes no sense to move up.
- I don't want a min-req character, I don't circle chase
- I need to move skinning/boxes up in level with me

Hows that hope and change working out for you?
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:10 PM CDT
I'm in the mid-90s circle-wise and I have 430 multi. And I never keep anything alive.

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:29 PM CDT
<<I'm in the mid-90s circle-wise and I have 430 multi. And I never keep anything alive.

You are posting like idons-buddy, buddy. Stop it.

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:43 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure you're opinion is wrong.

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:44 PM CDT
You're

YOU'RE

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

<<I'm in the mid-90s circle-wise and I have 430 multi. And I never keep anything alive.

- Fist of the Heavens Korsik Rippentropp, Aegis of Justice>>

Korsik is also somehow logged in 24/7 and rerolled and trained to double what most people do very quickly. Shall we just say you script better combat then others?
And wow, I totally used you're instead of your. Son of a.

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:52 PM CDT
epic derail (haha)

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:53 PM CDT
"And I never keep anything alive."

When Flavius does that, everything dies before he learns any defenses. Oh maybe an odd blow or two will get through, but certainly not enough to lock defenses.

Except of course when he trains HX. Lots of time to learn defenses killing as fast as possible with HX....
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 01:59 PM CDT
<<Korsik is also somehow logged in 24/7 and rerolled and trained to double what most people do very quickly. Shall we just say you script better combat then others?

He was also gone for about 3 months for basic training. Anyway...

I'm a 103rd MM with 450 MO (which is the lowest of my defensive skills). It's taken me just under a year to get to this point (circles and skill, in prime) and I don't quite play 24/7. I have also never needed more than 2 critters to move MO anywhere I've hunted.

I guess I script better than others as well.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:01 PM CDT
I think the main problem that a lot of people have is that they still haven't figured out that a pulse at 3/34 = a pulse at 34/34, and that there's no extra prize for trying to fill your pool past that.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:03 PM CDT
I wasnt trying to bash people that get combats up fast there. But anyway... WTB sweet scripts so I can get good too ;)
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:03 PM CDT
I have a few high level chars with good combats and I've never had to dance w/ 3 or 4 for more than a few minutes to lock, which is completely understandable..What is not understandable (to me at least) is when an empath feels the need to go to leucros and keep 3-4 leucros for 20-30 minutes.. Or when a barbarian just yesterday felt the need to keep 3 leucros for hours.. "Because thats how he hunts" and like I told him as a barbarian you'd think you'd be killing them at a slightly faster pace
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:06 PM CDT
I used to love getting 3 or 4 leucros in that room they can't leave once they spawn. But without retreating now its a dead issue.

I say if someones hunting unresponsive kill their stuff and get some for yourself. If you just auto jump the gun to doing this and dont wait for your own then move on. But if there is a person always doing this then ask, kill critters, do whatever. Taking someones critters isn't against policy, last I knew, deal with consequences as they come up
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:17 PM CDT
>Korsik is also somehow logged in 24/7 and rerolled and trained to double what most people do very quickly. Shall we just say you script better combat then others?
>He was also gone for about 3 months for basic training. Anyway...

Wait, being a vet means we can afk script? I've been doing it wrong all along. Seriously, him being away for three months has nothing to do with the fact he's logged in 24/7.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:22 PM CDT
I'm tempted to go dance with leucro.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:28 PM CDT
>>Seriously, him being away for three months has nothing to do with the fact he's logged in 24/7.

No but it's possible to be logged in for 24/7, especially if you're Korean. If you're at basic training however there's no possible way you're going to be able to do that, unless you have someone else running your character, which is a likely possibility. At any rate let the GMs deal with it.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:31 PM CDT
>No but it's possible to be logged in for 24/7, especially if you're Korean. If you're at basic training however there's no possible way you're going to be able to do that, unless you have someone else running your character, which is a likely possibility. At any rate let the GMs deal with it.

Clearly you don't have any idea what his circumstances are, but they've been posted on SC plenty.

>describe boar
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:32 PM CDT
<<Wait, being a vet means we can afk script? I've been doing it wrong all along. Seriously, him being away for three months has nothing to do with the fact he's logged in 24/7.

I was referencing his 3 months away (which ended some time ago) in response to how quickly he moved up, not how much he may or may not be logged in currently or whether or not he's afk. I personally don't monitor his logging in and logging out like you do apparently. I just happen to know about his basic training from reading SC.

But I digress, this isn't the conflicts folder and actually has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:42 PM CDT
>>Clearly you don't have any idea what his circumstances are, but they've been posted on SC plenty.

No I don't and I don't read SC anymore but that's why I didn't put any definitive accusations in there.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 02:56 PM CDT
Its nice that I have such a fan like Dunrook who keeps tabs on exactly when I'm logged into the game and for how long.

I actually don't stay logged in 24/7. But thanks anyway. I'm never logged in when I'm asleep, for one. As far as other specifics, I don't feel like describing my usual day, because if you want to know it then that's creepy and weird.

- Vindicator Korsik Rippentropp, Fist of the Heavens

Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 03:33 PM CDT
If any of you were near Rossman's, you'd know Korsik is entertaining us all with his gweths on a regular basis.

Unless his script does that too. NOW FEATURING: Prydaen-Deterrent, Ways To Call You A Fairy, and last but not least, The Paladine Chronicles.

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Out_of_Character
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 03:42 PM CDT
>>>>Seriously, him being away for three months has nothing to do with the fact he's logged in 24/7.

find korsik

There are no adventurers in the realms that match the names specified.

WHERE ARE YOU!!??!@

~ Purehand

Thank you for constructs.
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 04:15 PM CDT
<<No but it's possible to be logged in for 24/7, especially if you're Korean.>>

i must be the only one who laughed at this

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Multi-beastie hunting 04/20/2010 04:19 PM CDT
<tangent>
I once did a 24 hour gaming binge for a full week. I hallucinating like you wouldn't believe by the end of it.

I still can't remember WHY I did it.
</tangent>

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Prev_page Previous 1