Thumping 04/19/2009 11:26 AM CDT
I was under the impression that thumping is meant to only be used when someone speaks OOC or blatantly disrespectful, not to use when you get angry at someone 20 circles lower than you. Thoughts?
Re: Thumping 04/19/2009 11:36 AM CDT
Nope, thumping is right in the same boat as gwethsmashing. If you can do it, you can do it for whatever reason or no reason, as you see fit, up until it becomes harassment. At least as far as policy goes. Individuals may have very differing views on thumping etiquette as far as what makes a particular character a jerk or a reasonable person when using the ability.

My character has been thumped many, many times. None of them were for being ooc. Blatant disrespect is a matter of personal opinion, much like any other reason for anger.
Re: Thumping 04/19/2009 12:34 PM CDT
If it matters, thumping gives consent.

Which means either you or your bonded spouse can take matters up with said person.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thumping 04/19/2009 01:03 PM CDT
Here's the NEWS item released when it was updated:

>news 2 19

Dateline 7/10/2008: THUMP

THUMP is not limited for use "only" in dealing with OOC or disruptive behavior. If someone wants to THUMP someone and they have the ability to do so, for whatever reason (Attacking them, stealing from them, kicking them, looking at them funny, etc.), then they're perfectly within their right to do so. Period.

THUMP is considered an RP tool and can be used as a "peaceful" alternative to simply lopping off someone's head because that was your only recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ANYONE with any type of warning automatically loses their ability to THUMP for 6 months. Also, if you get a NEW warning, your "No Thumping " counter resets to 6 months. In other words, if you've had a spotty past (or are having a spotty "present") and want to be able to use this ability again, you'll just need to show us that you are willing to earn it back.

Players under 5th level who are THUMPed by players of a sufficiently higher level will drop whatever is in their hands, adding another tool to the arsenal of the players to prevent some types of graverobbing problems by throwaway characters.

Finally, since sometimes little snerts grow up and become BIG snerts, players of sufficient level are allowed/able to THUMP ANY players 20 levels below them.

Please do not ASSIST or REPORT to complain about being THUMPED, or to ask why you can't THUMP.

Comments or complaints should be posted to the message boards and questions about loss of THUMP ability should be directed to drfeedback@simutronics.com.

END NEWS ITEM

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Thumping 04/19/2009 01:29 PM CDT
>>I was under the impression that thumping is meant to only be used when someone speaks OOC or blatantly disrespectful, not to use when you get angry at someone 20 circles lower than you. Thoughts?

Thump = Gwethsmasher for stuff outside the gweth. Other than the usual blurbs about harassment, disruption, or novice abuse, there are no rules for Thumping or Gwethsmashing.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 07:42 AM CDT
Here's another request to get rid of the 20 circle limitation that goes along with thump. Pretty please?

~Player of "One of the Caels."
Queen of Non-Sequitors
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 07:44 AM CDT
It should be based on agiltiy/reflex/strength. :nods:

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 08:54 AM CDT
It should be based on vocals

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 11:43 AM CDT
It should be based on devotion.
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 12:17 PM CDT
It should be based on brawling. I mean, we ARE slapping someone across the throat with our hand.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 12:23 PM CDT
Unless you're an empath. They just touch someone when the thump. Guess theirs should be based on empathy.
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 12:39 PM CDT
>>Guess theirs should be based on empathy.

Did you forget about grapple and tackle? ;)

Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 01:37 PM CDT
>> Unless you're an empath. They just touch someone when the thump. Guess theirs should be based on empathy.

Different thump appearances for different guilds would be nice.

I wanna force choke someone with my moonie. :O

Rev. Reene

You hear the voice of Tachid exclaim, "Furries aren't supposed to be living!"
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 02:12 PM CDT
>Different thump appearances for different guilds would be nice.

I call the agent thump from The Matrix where you delete their mouth. 4 bards.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 02:39 PM CDT
I think it should be based on the amount of time you've watched DBZ and LOTR (all three movies and read all the books) combined. Only then can you prove your geekdom to be presented with the ability to thump another character in a text-based game.

- Simon

And I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for those bloody adventurers!
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 03:11 PM CDT
>Different thump appearances for different guilds would be nice.

That would be awesome. I might look forward to being thumped.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 04:39 PM CDT
Bring back brand for Clerics

Paladins could thump you and break down in hot tears of shame

~Thilan
Re: Thumping 04/20/2009 06:54 PM CDT
I was certain THUMP relied on secret mechanics that added up how many ranks in Awesome you have.

It should be anyway.
Re: Thumping 04/21/2009 11:20 AM CDT
Thanks for clearing that up guys
Re: Thumping 04/21/2009 12:36 PM CDT
>>Different thump appearances for different guilds would be nice.<<

Came up in the Empath folders a few months ago. I'm all for it, and keeping the current Empath specific messaging.

I point out that there's precedent for guild specific messages with FLEE. And thinking about it now, COLLECT.