Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:05 PM CDT
I'm basically a new player to Dragonrealms and this might be something very obvious to people who are used to online gaming communities but...

What do I do as a player when my characters are hit on, and my charater doesn't mind but I as a player do?

For the most part it's no big deal, but sometimes I feel like I'm constantly being approached to have drinks with someone. ICly, my character is friendly and would flirt back a little then politely turn someone down, but as a player I feel like I'm constantly having to deal with it. And it's not alwyas, but often uncomfortable for me, OOCly, and just plain makes play not fun.

So is it out of line or too disruptive to the play environment to whisper to someone OOCly to please not hit on my character?
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:12 PM CDT
>>So is it out of line or too disruptive to the play environment to whisper to someone OOCly to please not hit on my character?

Not at all. If it's making you uncomfortable you should definately do this.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:21 PM CDT
Great, thanks. That seemed like the common sense response but I know that if I played a really flirty character it'd be jarring to my roleplay at the least if someone asked me OOCly to stop playing my character how they are. So I thought I should ask in case there was another way to deal with it that was more common or expected in the game. So thanks again.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:23 PM CDT
Agreed. If they're making you uncomfortable, I would definitely use the OOC verb to let them know it. I would hope people would understand and back off after that.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:43 PM CDT
While it is always good to disassociate yourself with your character there are times when, if something such as this bothers you the player, then it should probably bother the character.

The reason I say this is that if you role play someone who would flirt back and be friendly but you the player are sitting there miserable then you're just setting yourself up for situations you don't want to be in.

With my character I tend to play a violent, obnoxious jerk. I like to think I'm pretty far from how my character is portrayed though. Always try to move in a direction both you and your character are comfortable with.

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 12:48 PM CDT
I know it's sort of lame, but I just give my characters IC reasons not to want to be in relationships if I don't feel like dealing with that stuff for OOC reasons.

One of them is old, crotchety, and not interested.

For one of the others I arranged for her to be engaged to an OOC friend of mine's character, so that I can semi-RP that aspect of her life without worrying about straying into weird RL-feelings territories.

I think lots of notable RP'ers have also done this very succesfully, but I guess I'll leave it to them if they want to speak up.

I do wish we had mechanical way to indicate whether or not our characters are interested in romance, like the demeanor options. The OOC whispering is sort of jarring IMHO.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Upcoming Tournies:
No Limit, Thu Jul 24th: http://www.tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=12
40 and Under, Thu Jul 31st: http://tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=16
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 01:38 PM CDT
If you rp a flirty character, then you can't be surprised when others try to hit on your character. It's very difficult as DivineWind said to have your character be one way, and you the player be something completely different.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 02:49 PM CDT
Yeah, obviously if she were a flirty character and I got upset it'd be silly! She never instigates the flirting, though. She is flirted to, then figures the best way to respond is playfully. And I wouldn't respond flirtily then whisper to them OOC: "Hey stop it!" as that would be strange. But if when someone started flirting, is it out of line to say "Sorry, do you mind not flirting with her today?"

I suppose I could just overhaul her personality too, which would be strange and uncomfortable (or reroll her as a dude which might not even help a lick besides the obvious downside to rerolling!) If I'd have realized how not fun it would be for me -- and again, this isn't always, just more often than it should be -- I'd have made her freaked out by flirting or something, heh. But now I want to do the most appropriate thing. Hm. Thank you everyone for your perspectives!
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 04:29 PM CDT
You know, I never run into this problem, on any character. Flirting happens so rarely that it's extremely comical to me when it does.

Maybe it's because regardless of my character's personality, I never play them as giggling and hugging people excessively or being too touchy-feely in general.

I think some minor tweaks to your character's personality and habits might help. Barring that, yes, OOC whispers are the way to go.

Rev. Reene

Idon: Why are we taunting the happy fun Y'shai, again?
Me: Idon know.
Idon: You disgust me.
Me: At least I'm not trying to Phelim up.
Idon: Makes me wonder what she's doing to the World Dragon.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 04:45 PM CDT
>>You know, I never run into this problem, on any character. Flirting happens so rarely that it's extremely comical to me when it does.

I dunno, people hit on Lorz . You know, the foul-mouthed flea-ridden elf? Lorz is basically a homeless person.

So yeah. I have no idea.

People used to hit on Szrael, but they don't anymore.

Upcoming Tournies:
No Limit, Thu Jul 24th: http://www.tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=12
40 and Under, Thu Jul 31st: http://tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=16
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 04:57 PM CDT
>> I dunno, people hit on Lorz . You know, the foul-mouthed flea-ridden elf? Lorz is basically a homeless person.

Yeah I never understood that one. Cael loves Lorzie to death but would really rather prefer that she not touch her or anything.

It's not like people know who all of my alts are, though. Only three of them are widely known, and that's on purpose. Couldn't for the life of me tell you what I'm doing right, though.

Rev. Reene

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 05:13 PM CDT
>>Couldn't for the life of me tell you what I'm doing right, though.

It's your boyish charm and good looks.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 05:19 PM CDT
>> It's your boyish charm and good looks.

Only three of my characters are men.

Rev. Reene

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 05:20 PM CDT
So, according to y'all, people who are friendly and affectionate invite flirting. Those who are cordial without being affectionate do not invite flirting. Mystery also seems to attract flirting and being the bad boy/girl. Meaness is another one that doesn't really seem to attract flirting either. Course, dare I say it but it also seems that certain ideas portrayed on the board also will invite in game flirting or detract it.

Handle it however you want and role play however you want. Change your characters persona or not. Some of us like to be affectionate and nice, some of us don't. Oh and people can be affectionate without being huggy smoochy wubby dubby.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/22/2008 05:28 PM CDT
I think it is fair to say that being openly affectionate will invite flirting, yes.

Rev. Reene

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 12:25 AM CDT
Might also want to consider the area in game in which you are playing. I've found that my characters get approached flirtingly more often in Crossing than elsewhere.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 09:28 AM CDT
>What do I do as a player when my characters are hit on, and my charater doesn't mind but I as a player do?

This happens to me quite often as a Doctor. Girls see gems changing hands, the power of life at my fingertips, dreams of a better life etc and they just get out of line. What you need to do is take them to a place that they are equally uncomfortable with. For example:

Whisperkisses says to you, "Can you heal me when you get the chance?"
You get a oiled leather saddle from inside your patched backpack.
You get a jar of grape jelly from inside your patched backpack.
You say, "LETS DO THIS THING"
You begin to advance on Whisperkisses.

If they call your bluff and things start getting really weird, rob them to break the mood, and run.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 09:43 AM CDT
if yer a thief, steal some maggots from the sorcerer lady south of the crossing ferry, and if someone gets too "friendly", slip a maggot into their hand....

nothing cools down hot lust like a cold, clammy maggot...

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 11:53 AM CDT
>>if yer a thief, steal some maggots from the sorcerer lady south of the crossing ferry, and if someone gets too "friendly", slip a maggot into their hand....

>>nothing cools down hot lust like a cold, clammy maggot...

::LOL!:: I'll try that if I get an occasion to!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 11:56 AM CDT
I get a lot of flirty people (I'm flirty myself) and nearly all the flirtation is innocent and does no harm. But there are times that I get downright obnoxious people that cross over the flirty line and turn it into a very rude and unnappreciated advancement. Just have your character tell them that you're not interested. If that doesn't work then OOC them. But FYI mixed signals sent by you can cause you trouble. If you don't want to be flirted with then don't flirt.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/23/2008 04:53 PM CDT
>> If they call your bluff and things start getting really weird, rob them to break the mood, and run.

I like the cut of your jib.

Rev. Reene

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 10:00 AM CDT
>I like the cut of your jib.

See, I am irresistable. It's my cross to bear.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 10:59 AM CDT
>>You get a jar of grape jelly from inside your patched backpack.
>>You say, "LETS DO THIS THING"
>>You begin to advance on Whisperkisses.

I'm seriously considering changing my signature line now.

Took me like 5 minutes to clean off my keyboard...was in the middle of corn flakes.

Red'

Redeth smiles and points at you with her right hand, then taps herself in the chest with her left. She raises both her hands in the air and whirls both around and then brings them together in a sharp crack of flesh on flesh.

Translation: go time
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 11:19 AM CDT
On the topic of the post though...I'm not sure if the poster is male or female, RL...but you can fend off men pretty easy just by what you say to them...and you can still be really nice.

"Hey baby, how bout you and me go to the gazebo?"

"Aw...you're so CUTE, if I wasn't an empath I'd just pull off your arms and eat them."

or...

"You know what would be REALLY fun? You let me turn you into a girl and we do your hair up in pigtails!"

or...(I've used this)

"I don't date people I can(t) kill."

When I was a waitress I used to wear a wedding ring all the time. It's the GREATEST libido killer. Just tap that thing when they get out of hand and wink at em.

I've noticed men tend to lose interest when you're conquest status has changed to "taken". So use at your own risk.

Red'

Redeth smiles and points at you with her right hand, then taps herself in the chest with her left. She raises both her hands in the air and whirls both around and then brings them together in a sharp crack of flesh on flesh.

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 11:26 AM CDT
>>When I was a waitress I used to wear a wedding ring all the time. It's the GREATEST libido killer. Just tap that thing when they get out of hand and wink at em.

This has never worked for me, in RL or in DR.

Upcoming Tournies:
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 01:27 PM CDT
>>This has never worked for me, in RL or in DR.<<

Me either. When I say I'm taken it seems to go from simple interest to a personal quest.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 02:11 PM CDT
You girls must be cuter than me. Stopped most of them dead.

Red'

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 02:11 PM CDT
<<When I say I'm taken it seems to go from simple interest to a personal quest.>>
To me it's all in how its delivered. If the gesture seems mandatory on her part, or half hearted... Game on!

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 04:45 PM CDT
i find it really depends on the "looks" of the character. my female elves, eltoheans, halflings tend to get hit on much more frequently than my female dwarves, s'kras, or togs.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/24/2008 06:37 PM CDT
You have to consider the playerbase. I highly doubt DR is filled with a whole bunch of studs that attract women with their personalities in their day to day lives. So whenever they see a female IG, they're interested.

I barely play with my Empath, and have only started playing more with her recently, yet she has been hit on more times than my main character of 4 1/2 years. Solution? Either put the hormonal guys off or play a male character.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 09:30 AM CDT
>I highly doubt DR is filled with a whole bunch of studs that attract women with their personalities in their day to day lives.

Speak for yourself!

Anyway, Rmel actually does get hit on quite a bit whenever I bring him around Crossing. I pretty much just have him respond by lisping to the point where he's barely understandable, and the girls start to try to weasle their way out of the conversation. Plus, he's happily bonded to Ahnoui, even though he suspects she's cheating on him with Exiar.

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 10:49 AM CDT
>studs that attract women with their personalities in their day to day lives.

Humorously enough I'm completely oblivious to it until they get as subtle as a brick to the genitals, but I've been told by others this is the case with Kougen way more than even I realize.

Then again, that could just be a rumor started out of pity for me. /shrug

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Kssarh uses a night light. Not because Kssarh is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Kssarh.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 11:01 AM CDT
>>Anyway, Rmel actually does get hit on quite a bit whenever I bring him around Crossing.

Yeah, even I hit on him.

>>even though he suspects she's cheating on him with Exiar.

He's just that good.

-Criminal Clemency L'Envers
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 05:16 PM CDT
The way some women in this and other threads seem to be describing it, none of their female characters, even the AWW MEANIEFACE ones can take two steps without being hit on, so maybe I really am just oblivious to the whole thing.

Or maybe some of them just mistake "talking to" and "being friendly" as flirting.

Rev. Reene

Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 05:28 PM CDT
>>Or maybe some of them just mistake "talking to" and "being friendly" as flirting.

That whole anti-stud comment doesn't apply to just the boys here. Girl gamers are just as damaged-goods as the guy-gamers are, they're just a lot more emotionally fragile about the whole thing.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 07:30 PM CDT
>>Or maybe some of them just mistake "talking to" and "being friendly" as flirting.

Haha it's very easy to get conditioned this way. I think the second day I ever played DR I was hunting in rats when someone told me they'd "teach me secrets" but I had to go to an inn room where no one else could hear. I innocently obliged, and lets just say after that my character developed a cold demeanor towards prydaens.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 07:53 PM CDT
>>Haha it's very easy to get conditioned this way. I think the second day I ever played DR I was hunting in rats when someone told me they'd "teach me secrets" but I had to go to an inn room where no one else could hear. I innocently obliged, and lets just say after that my character developed a cold demeanor towards prydaens.

If this is true it's kind of disturbing, kinda funny but disturbing none the less. If not it's just funny
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 07/25/2008 09:36 PM CDT
<<If this is true it's kind of disturbing, kinda funny but disturbing none the less. If not it's just funny >>

disturbing. Funny would be if they took ya in there and then cut off yer head and said, "here's a sercet, don't follow strangers into an Inn Room NOOB!!" and ran out.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 08/01/2008 03:03 AM CDT
Purehand's post wins the award for the first thing I've ever read online that made Sierra Mist come out my nose. Kougen's post with the brick was pretty good too... I've learned a new expression! Sweet!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Half the people you know are below average.
Re: Flirting in Elanthia 09/11/2008 09:09 AM CDT
DING DING DING DING DING!
So you want a cigar or a stuffed animal?