Prev_page Previous 1
Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 01:15 PM CDT
Hi all... Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I had a question about whether there's a general consensus regarding pointing out hidden people. Generally, if I notice a hidden person around, I ignore him/her (since my character rarely carries money around), but some people I know IG always point out hidden people because of concerns about stealing, spying, general creepiness, etc. I'm also guessing that the consensus is different depending upon if the hiding is in a random room vs. someplace where you're stuck for a while (i.e. a boat)? Thanks!
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 01:31 PM CDT
It's rude (ooc) to point people out of hiding, unless you've a reason (ic), which makes it a tricky thing. I generally never point people out of hiding unless I'm willing/interested to play out a conflict of some sort. Pointing out people on a boat can really piss them off because sometimes they are hiding to avoid thieves and you just pulled them out of that safety. It's really up to you, but keep in mind that hiding is one of the few ways of avoiding getting stolen from and many use it for that.

>dance sprite
A water sprite laughs and spins away as you approach her for a dance!
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 01:38 PM CDT
>>It's rude (ooc) to point people out of hiding, unless you've a reason (ic), which makes it a tricky thing. I generally never point people out of hiding unless I'm willing/interested to play out a conflict of some sort. Pointing out people on a boat can really piss them off because sometimes they are hiding to avoid thieves and you just pulled them out of that safety. It's really up to you, but keep in mind that hiding is one of the few ways of avoiding getting stolen from and many use it for that.

Well said.

~ Leissl and $0.02

'When someone pushes your buttons, you're acknowledging what you have disowned.' -Dr. John Martini
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 02:55 PM CDT
>It's rude (ooc) to point people out of hiding,

If pointing people out of hiding is OoC, so is hiding in the first place. If pointing people out of hiding is rude, so is hiding in the first place.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

ReverendReene: It's not often I'm rendered speechless but you sure do it a lot.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 03:24 PM CDT
Not what I meant. Read it in the other way, one that makes more sense.

>dance sprite
A water sprite laughs and spins away as you approach her for a dance!
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/15/2007 09:28 PM CDT
Since I generally play a trader character, I usually point out a person who is in hiding. We traders are often the targets of theives and if you are hiding in a room that I'm in, then expect me to point you out. If a person tells me that they have no intention of stealing from me then I usually won't point them out, but it my gems or coin start coming up missing or if I get that trader message about "pockets feeling heavier" and "you doubt it was a donation" then I'm pointing anything I can see out. If you don't like it then train your hiding or peception skills better or don't hide at all. There's being rude as player and being rude as a character, don't confuse the two.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 06:09 AM CDT
usually if You can see the person thats hiding, that is NOT the person that's doing the stealing.

usually my characters are hiding to protect their own coins, and if you by chance make the fatal mistake of pointing out my barbarian, or ones who are spouses of same, i wouldn't give you a fairly long life expectancy. have a nice day. :-)

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 09:35 AM CDT
>usually if You can see the person thats hiding, that is NOT the person that's doing the stealing.

Seriously. You're not protecting yourself at all.

~Purehand
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 09:37 AM CDT
Haha, pointing out anyone in hiding (read as pointing out traders) is a good way to get some warn interactions/harassments thrown your way.

I'm surprised you haven't had that happening to you.

I am --- Navak
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 03:51 PM CDT
My point was that there is no one real answer to the question of "pointing etiquette" and you're going to get as many situational, gray zone answers as you are on the consent policy - mainly because as soon as someone has a problem with it, they're the same thing (as the Gonif Gang was so 'kind' to point out). They can get as mad about it as they want, but just pointing at someone is not consent, in the same way that Halt is "not consent" (i.e. Not consent unless x, or y, or z, etc.). Pointing repeatedly can be argued as harassment, though. If you're pointing as someone so that your buddy can steal from them, they probably have a good argument for consent. And so forth.

It doesn't always have to be about stealing, either. For example, I've pointed someone out of hiding because I saw them advancing on someone else (who couldn't). Now what?

It's just like anything else in the Realms. Do what you have to do to protect yourself. But don't be surprised when other people take exception to being interacted with.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 05:31 PM CDT
<<They can get as mad about it as they want, but just pointing at someone is not consent, in the same way that Halt is "not consent" (i.e. Not consent unless x, or y, or z, etc.).

Who said Halt wasn't consent? Any spell, even 'helpful' ones grant consent if cast without permission.

From NEWS 5 25

<<* But it wasn't harmful ... it was a helpful spell. Is that consent?
<<YES -- Casting on me without my permission or invitation can still be interpreted as a threatening action. If you say "I'm going to cast Ethereal Shield on you" or "Join me for courage" and I don't demur or I join up, then no harm, no foul. But walking up to me and casting on me is grounds for retaliation, even if it was just Ethereal Shield. (see PREPPING, GESTURING)
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 07:03 PM CDT
Oops, old Halt rules. For some reason those are stuck in my head the way they were the year I rolled up my Paladin.

Bad example, rest of argument still applies. If someone wants to make a consent/harassment/human rights issue out of something, they'll find a way, whether you did anything 'wrong' or not.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/16/2007 08:15 PM CDT
It's a bad idea to point someone out of hiding unless you have a good reason to do so, as some people (like me) take pointing as a hostile action. Particularly if you plan on doing so repeatedly, since this does arguably grant consent.

Rev. Reene

[Jenealle] "What do you call a four-foot Moon Mage runnin' from the Town Guard?"
[Jenealle] "A small medium at large."
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/17/2007 05:40 PM CDT
Only grants consent if the person tells you to quit.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/17/2007 11:13 PM CDT
It's not an "either or" situation by any means. It's a serious grey area because there are a lot of factors that are simply impossible to cover.

Sometimes it will require an explicit warning to stop or die, sometimes it won't. Your best bet is to not do it unless you want to risk making someone angry.

Rev. Reene

[Jenealle] "What do you call a four-foot Moon Mage runnin' from the Town Guard?"
[Jenealle] "A small medium at large."
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/20/2007 10:53 AM CDT
>>It doesn't always have to be about stealing, either. For example, I've pointed someone out of hiding because I saw them advancing on someone else (who couldn't). Now what?

Now you've interfered with a conflict and pulled yourself into it

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 08:32 AM CDT
I like to point groups of people out of hiding at once, because I am supremely entertained by my ability to do so.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 02:53 PM CDT
>>It's rude (ooc) to point people out of hiding, unless you've a reason (ic), which makes it a tricky thing.

This is a huge gray area. IRL, if you were shopping in a department store and a guy came in wearing a heavy coat and baggy pants in the middle of summer, and proceeded to try to conceal himself from the security cameras and other shoppers, plenty of concerned people would want to "point him out" and draw the attention of the other people around you to him. Of course more people, probably even the majority of people, would say, "Not my responsibility" and ignore him.

A lot of the characters in DR are really cliche like that too. I see no way you could call pointing someone out an "OOC action" when he or she enters the room with a criminal or thiefly title, wearing black leathers with skulls embossed, a mask to hide their face, a loaded crossbow or a black dagger, and ducks behind the nearest barrel. If you blatantly look and/or act like a criminal it's entirely IC for a stranger to point you out and treat you like one.

It doesn't even need to be as extravagant as that to be an IC action. It could be as simple as, "My character is paranoid" or "We've had a string of assassinations so I'm being a concerned citizen."

Of course, policy makes no mention of what may or not be IC/OOC reasoning for anything so even if you don't like to RP being blissfully ignorant of your surroundings, you point at your own risk.

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 03:14 PM CDT
If pointing someone out of hiding is poor etiquette, why wouldn't hiding on someone also be poor etiquette? If one is possibly consent wouldn't both possibly be consent?

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 03:30 PM CDT
Interesting point. Right now, I can tell you off about something and simply because we were arguing you can assume the spell I'm prepping is hostile even if the spell quite literally cannot be cast on other people. Thus, you have consent and can kill me before I even cast the spell.

Hiding has a few extra challenges, I think, but what is the logical assumption about hiding? First, you are probably trying to pick my pockets. Second, and this is especially true in negative exchanges, you're trying to snipe, backstab, or ambush me. You might simply be trying to run away, but I (as in most players) have no way to tell you've marked me much less have snuck off whimpering like a kicked puppy and therefore I have to assume you have hostile intentions towards me.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 03:39 PM CDT
>If pointing someone out of hiding is poor etiquette, why wouldn't hiding on someone also be poor etiquette? If one is possibly consent wouldn't both possibly be consent?

This argument sounds familiar...

>enters the room with a criminal or thiefly title, wearing black leathers with skulls embossed, a mask to hide their face, a loaded crossbow or a black dagger, and ducks behind the nearest barrel.

This SHOULD be a crime, if only just to cut down on the rampant abuse of this cliche.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/23/2007 09:58 PM CDT
>> If pointing someone out of hiding is poor etiquette, why wouldn't hiding on someone also be poor etiquette?

Pointing is an action that is taken directly against another character. The same is not true for hiding.

Rev. Reene

Totenus says, "I am not Alfonso, quit throwing bacon at me."
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 05:39 AM CDT
>Pointing is an action that is taken directly against another character. The same is not true for hiding.

It's taken "directly" against every other character in the room, though. Getting defensive when someone hides is a legitimate IC reaction to someone making potential preparatory moves for other offensive actions.

There's a reason why the first thing I do after noticing that someone is "missing" is >wealth

It's worth repeating that it is within policy to attack someone for prepping a spell if you think they are about to cast it at you. The only differences between this and hiding is a) With hiding, you're supposed to wait until you've already been victimized and b) Casting a lethal spell "requires" prior consent while stealing does not.

Sure, stealing isn't lethal, but hiding can be and frequently is used to prepare an assault in the exact same way that >prep burn can be. And clearly you don't HAVE to know their intentions, you just have to feel threatened.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 06:31 AM CDT
<<It's worth repeating that it is within policy to attack someone for prepping a spell if you think they are about to cast it at you.

Only if you and the character in question is actively involved in a conflict.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 09:51 AM CDT
<<It's worth repeating that it is within policy to attack someone for prepping a spell if you think they are about to cast it at you.

>>Only if you and the character in question is actively involved in a conflict.

Wouldn't that be a given?

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 02:29 PM CDT
Some people need to have these things spelled out.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 04:36 PM CDT
>>Wouldn't that be a given?

Not necessarily. Consent can be acted upon "in a reasonable timeframe". That phrase is dependant on your average level of playtime, so if you end up getting consent the day before you left for a year-long stint in Iraq you can attempt to slaughter them the day you get back. By then, they've probably forgotten about you completely so it will appear as though you attacked out of the blue.

Though the above is completely legal, for one side it appears as though "in a reasonable timeframe" had long ago passed any reasonable chance of realization.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 05:25 PM CDT
>> It's taken "directly" against every other character in the room, though.

No, it's not. Someone hiding in your room passively affects you. Now if they steal from you, or you're in an active fight with them, the argument for direct impact can be made.

Rev. Reene

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 06:09 PM CDT
Guess there's a difference between game etiquette forced by quirky mechanics verses logical RP.

I know that in the real world if I see someone obviously skulking in the bushes, I'm going to be asking, "Hey you! What are you doing in there?" Anyone would. Pointing or otherwise calling attention to the hider would seem to be the natural response to discovering a person hiding.

But hiding mechanics in DR are contrived at best. Not only do they allow for blatant stealth (an oxymoron anywhere else), but the point effect takes someone out of his hiding spot. If in the real world you call attention to that fellow behind the bushes, he remains in his hiding spot ... those who heard you simply know he's there. In DR, you've yanked him out of the bushes completely. You've actually effected him, rather than simply revealing his location to everyone else.

Since historically hiding has been a defense against certain activities like being stolen from at the ferry docks, this has resulted in a sort of 'meta gaming etiquette' that tells us that the intuitive response to seeing a hider isn't the proper one. Don't point, he's only protecting himself.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 06:10 PM CDT
>> I know that in the real world if I see someone obviously skulking in the bushes, I'm going to be asking, "Hey you! What are you doing in there?" Anyone would.

I lived in LA.

When you see someone lurking in the bushes in LA, you don't stop and ask them what they're doing. You walk faster.

Rev. Reene

Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 06:12 PM CDT
<<When you see someone lurking in the bushes in LA, you don't stop and ask them what they're doing. You walk faster.

LOL. Perhaps, but you certainly discreetly point them out to your companions. :)
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/24/2007 10:15 PM CDT
I live in Texas. When you see someone lurking in the bushes here, you draw your gun and shoot them before they have the chance to do the same to you. Especially if it happens at night, or you're a woman, no police or jury would be likely to find fault in it.

Unfortunately in DR you can't shoot creepy bush-lurkers until they shoot you first.

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/25/2007 12:07 AM CDT
Most likely, the person who you are pointing out of hiding isnt gonna be the one who steals from you. If you can see them hide they are not gonna be a threat and just protecting there own coin.

But yes please keep pointing people out of hiding so i can sit in the shadows and make some easy coin.

~Miir
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/25/2007 07:30 PM CDT
>>I know that in the real world if I see someone obviously skulking in the bushes, I'm going to be asking, "Hey you! What are you doing in there?" Anyone would. Pointing or otherwise calling attention to the hider would seem to be the natural response to discovering a person hiding.

>>But hiding mechanics in DR are contrived at best. Not only do they allow for blatant stealth (an oxymoron anywhere else), but the point effect takes someone out of his hiding spot. If in the real world you call attention to that fellow behind the bushes, he remains in his hiding spot ... those who heard you simply know he's there. In DR, you've yanked him out of the bushes completely. You've actually effected him, rather than simply revealing his location to everyone else.

interesting point, why not just say "hey **, what are you doing behind that bush/statue/wherever?"
in the game, then your not pointing them out of hiding, but you are alerting others to their presence

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
let us paint you a picture with our words
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/27/2007 02:29 PM CDT
>>It's rude (ooc) to point people out of hiding, unless you've a reason (ic), which makes it a tricky thing.

Since I wrote this thinking it was fairly obvious to see what I am saying, and that doesn't seem to be the case, let me try to explain.

If you go from room to room searching and pointing people out, this is rude in the sense that the player of the character (ooc) might have her own reasons for being in hiding that range from IC to OOC. For example, the character might be hiding because she is waiting to backstab someone (ic), or she might be hiding because the player is taking a bathroom break and didn't want to bother with logging out/in (ooc).

So unless you have an IC reason (you know, a real one, and not just a justification for your action at the moment) to point out my character, you the player being rude OOC.

And as far as comparing DR to real life, let's not do that. And if you cannot resist, keep in mind that in real life you would not always point someone out of hiding, for both their safety and yours.

Szeldia appears almost as a serpent's eye in the sky above, its bright white atmosphere glowing ferally about a malevolent black core.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/27/2007 02:44 PM CDT
>I live in Texas. When you see someone lurking in the bushes here, you draw your gun and shoot them before they have the chance to do the same to you.

Which would be fine if they were going to shoot you, except that there are reasons people might lurk in bushes that have nothing to do with you or causing injury to anyone.

Szeldia appears almost as a serpent's eye in the sky above, its bright white atmosphere glowing ferally about a malevolent black core.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/28/2007 05:00 PM CDT
Well, in Tx if I see you sneaking around in the bushes on my property, it is called Criminal Mischeif at Night. I get to shoot you. You break into my car at night, same offense same result. You attacking someone else, Defense of the Third Person, I get to use the same type of force that you are using. If more than two people are attacking the same person or if two are beating someone who is immobolized or unconcious, I get to shoot you as well ... because you were evidently trying to kill him as opposed to anything else.

If you are fine and upstanding citizen, meaning you dont have any misdomeaners greater than a Class C, you can get a concealed to carry liscense. Though you cant carry them everywhere ... like bars, and anyplace that buys the 1k sign to place at their entrance.

Any criminal justice instructor will tell you, Tx is still the wild wild west.

The views expressed in this post are not supported by the Moon Mage Guild or the Progeny of Tezirah ... but I am sure they will come around.
Re: Pointing etiquette? 08/28/2007 07:57 PM CDT
>>Well, in Tx if I see you sneaking around in the bushes on my property, it is called Criminal Mischeif at Night. I get to shoot you. You break into my car at night, same offense same result. You attacking someone else, Defense of the Third Person, I get to use the same type of force that you are using. If more than two people are attacking the same person or if two are beating someone who is immobolized or unconcious, I get to shoot you as well ... because you were evidently trying to kill him as opposed to anything else.

Man, I love Texas. Would that NC were more like it, except for the (slightly) increased obesity. And the climate. And the "barbecue."

And the sweet tea.

~Kashik
Re: Pointing etiquette? 09/01/2007 01:01 PM CDT
>Well, in Tx if I see you sneaking around in the bushes *on my property*, it is called Criminal Mischeif at Night.

Which is why that situation is unlike anything in DR, unless you're an owner of a house or a boat.

Re: Pointing etiquette? 09/01/2007 05:40 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure spotting someone sneaking onto/around on my boat doesn't give me consent, either.

Rev. Reene

(10:43:46 PM) Xelten: YOU PLAY A TEXT BASED RPG MAN, YOU ARE NOT COOL, PUT THE HAT THE RIGHT WAY
Prev_page Previous 1