Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 02:39 PM CDT
OK, always wanting to add new skills to my combat script...think I got a good one for you guys...

I prefer to, and almost need to, hunt alone. To get my TM moving, casting chain lightning is a pretty integral part.

So basically, once I get that good mana room, I try to sit in that room and keep it as mine so I can do what I want in there. For example, I won't step over a room to PERCIEVE to get my PP going for risk of losing the room.

As we all know, juggling doesn't work in combat. So lets say I retreated, casted a Fortress of Ice around just me, juggled a nice handful of times, then climbed out of my fortress...is the hunting room still mine?

I never really left the room. And when others enter the room they can see that I am in the fortress. What's the etiquette on this one? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Player of Tessaa
Re: Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 02:50 PM CDT
<<As we all know, juggling doesn't work in combat. So lets say I retreated, casted a Fortress of Ice around just me, juggled a nice handful of times, then climbed out of my fortress...is the hunting room still mine?

Heyo, Tessaa. I am going to say no on this one based on all the posts I have read on combat etiquette. It has been said that no one "owns" a room (i.e. you could be hunting in there and someone else can walk in and start hunting as well). Common etiquette is that it is taboo to walk into someone else's room and start hunting without asking permission first.

But if you were to leave that room, then there is no one to ask permission from. The ice fortress is an interesting example since you are not in that room but your fortress is. When another hunter comes in and sees the ice fortress there, they have no idea what you are doing in there and how long the fortress has been up. In this instance you have left the room. When you come out of the fortress then the common etiquette statement applies to you. Now, you are walking into someone else's room and need to ask permission. The hunter may leave the room or may say tough luck.

Knowing your character, I would recommend hunting in orc reivers. Their warcats have no trouble locking my perception (savant).

Trebber
actually, all other people see is a fortress of ice there. They have no idea that you are in it, or that it belongs to you. THere are times i've seen fortresses of ice sitting in snowbeasts for example, with no WM inside, the WM having logged out and for some reason a bug keeping the fortress around for days.

So no, FOI would not hold your "spot".

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
My personal opinion is that this room isn't yours any longer. The reason being is that you are taking up a combat room so that you can safely juggle in your Ice Fortress. If you aren't physically in that room, then it isn't yours. I know some people use Ice Fortress to work multi safely by getting their desired number of critters in the Fortress with them. And in my opinion, the same rule applies, you aren't physically in the room, so it isn't yours any longer. Note: When I say physically in the room, I know that the Fortress is in the room, so you are technically physically in it, just not in the form to claim the room as your own.

Just my opinion...neither right nor wrong

Stu
Re: Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 03:25 PM CDT
It's been posted in the past that for consent purposes (which I suppose is the root of the question) it is no longer 'your' room. Casting a fortress essentially creates a new room, and you have effectively vacated the room you cast in.

~The player of Nevynral
Re: Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 04:13 PM CDT
Cool. Thanks.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 09:42 PM CDT
A little off topic...

Trebber, you mentioned warcats for perception. I think I'm gonna go hit up treks/hunters here on mriss. I've hunted them a nice bit before, but never really trying to work perception. You just search here and there, maybe toss out and EaS?

Player of Tessaa
Re: Fortress of ice and hunting rooms 10/07/2004 09:50 PM CDT
<<Trebber, you mentioned warcats for perception. I think I'm gonna go hit up treks/hunters here on mriss. I've hunted them a nice bit before, but never really trying to work perception. You just search here and there, maybe toss out and EaS?

I have enough perception where I can see them some of the time in reivers and all of the time in bandits. Within 10 minutes at most of watching them sneak into the room and try to advance on me I will lock up. Now, the reiver ones are more skilled than the bandit ones and from time to time I will do an actual search. Once you spot them, they are easier to see advancing. I just let them get to melee and ambush me. EaS would work to let you know they are there, but if you need the spell to see them, then I don't think you will learn too much perception from them.

Trebber