Re: Don't steal dead people! 02/04/2004 01:10 PM CST
Ive had that happen to me a few times too, and by people who are invisible as well, it really bugs me to the point of making another corpse sometimes.

"They say its got a retractable leg so's it can leap up atcher better!" - Father Dougal Mcguire
Re: Don't steal dead people! 02/05/2004 10:50 AM CST
That is pretty amusing actually. But yes, I always ask. "Do you need any help?" Usually by the time I'm done typing the question they've moved to the next room and I am talking to the air.
Re: Don't steal dead people! 02/05/2004 11:39 AM CST
<<I always ask. "Do you need any help?" >>

With shift moonbeam available now I'd say this is particularly good advice. I was trying to get a gate for a group of corpses to town during one of the bigger invasions recently and couldn't shift my moonbeam because folks kept dragging the corpses as soon as I'd locate them. The corpses claim they were asking to be left alone since they recognized locates mean moongates but it didn't do any good.

Wanting to help is good but being certain your action actually helps is better.
Re: Don't steal dead people! 02/05/2004 03:30 PM CST
Eh, I don't hope they all think locates mean moongates are coming :). I locate lots of dead people but don't have moongate yet. If I see that they are alone though, and they are somewhere relatively close by I go and get them.

Oh well, look at it this way. There are worse problems to deal with than too many people trying to help!
Re: Don't steal dead people! 02/07/2004 01:38 PM CST
I know both sides of this very well. Trying to drag someone and getting the corpse stolen and I do occasionally steal a corpse that I have witnessed die, but ONLY if I see them die and grab their weapon. If I don't have their weapon I don't take a corpse without asking them if they need help as to not part the corpse from the person WITH their weapon or part them from the their weapon that is on the ground. If I am in a room and don't see anyone dragging a corpse I will take the task upon myself and ask if they dropped anything. I do believe I am one who took a corpse from you last eve as you were dragging, but I had their weapon and usually trying to say, "Hey, wait I have their weapon." is missed in the combat scroll and people running by, not to mention the person is trying to drag as fast as they can. So I'll end up missing the person by a second or two and repeatedly talking to empty air. So running off with the corpse is the most efficient course of action to be taken in that situation. I was not trying to be rude and I do understand your frustration and I appologize. I understand how upsetting it can be especially when you use the wizard to drag person and someone takes the corpse and you're trying to run from big invasion critter and keep getting "drag what?".
Again, no rudeness intended just trying to act fast as one must do during invasions.

She had an unequalled gift... of squeezing big mistakes into small opportunities. - Henry James
Re: Don't steal dead people! 03/03/2004 10:27 AM CST
>>With shift moonbeam available now I'd say this is particularly good advice. I was trying to get a gate for a group of corpses to town during one of the bigger invasions recently and couldn't shift my moonbeam because folks kept dragging the corpses as soon as I'd locate them. The corpses claim they were asking to be left alone since they recognized locates mean moongates but it didn't do any good.

>>Wanting to help is good but being certain your action actually helps is better.

set !dragging

Dont undo it until the proper help arrives.
~Broker Teloxius
Re: Don't steal dead people! 05/16/2004 08:56 AM CDT
not being dumb.... hey wait aminute am i saying im dumb, well on occasions we are all dumb.......... but what is: set!dragging mean?
Re: Don't steal dead people! 06/18/2004 02:28 AM CDT
!set dragging will make it so people cannot drag you. Turn any of those avoids on, with the ! and it will make it so it avoids those, typing it without the ! will make it so it'll allow people to do it. like set dragging

* Vaeldriil was just struck down!
Standing over Vaeldriil, you move your hands in intricate gestures as a green aura slowly forms around the body.

With clumsy movements, the corpse slowly clambers to its feet. You now have 1 GM under your control.