Prev_page Previous 1
How To Be Dead In An Invasion 04/30/2003 10:05 PM CDT
Okay, I don't think anyone's going to listen to this, because no one ever does. However, on the off chance that it might help, I would like to put forward some standardized rules concerning invasions and the Cleric Guild triage.

1) Shut up.
This is not the time to discuss with your buddy how many critters killed you, nor is it the time for living people to come in looking for blesses on weapons, or hugging your friends, or whatever. See that scroll filling up your screen? Well, it's filling mine, too, and the screens of every other cleric and paladin trying to get you on your feet. We're not yelling at you to shut up because we're grouches. We don't want to have you depart with half your memories gone by mistake, or without a ward so we have you emptying a grave and making even more scroll.

2) Wait for a ward.
I have never seen an invasion where there wasn't at least one paladin on hand at the Cleric Guild to ward people. As to why you shouldn't just depart and get your stuff from your grave, see above.

3) Go somewhere else.
If you have absolutely no purpose in being in the room, go away. Nothing personal, but the room is already so crowded and noisy that extra bodies just make it harder to figure out who the dead people are, even if you're standing there as still as a statue.

4) Don't ask stupid questions.
When the cleric and/or paladin tells you to depart, just do it. Don't ask us if your memories are fixed or if you're warded. We aren't telling you to leave for the fun of it. And don't keep asking us over and over for help or if you're fixed yet. If we haven't told you to go, you're not fixed. And I promise you, we WILL get to you. And we'd do it a lot faster if you'd shut up.

Now, I realize that common sense and Crossing are like oil and water, and I'm now going to get attacked by sixty different people. But these rules are for the benefit of the corpses, not me. I can always get up and walk out. They can't.

Raidiant

I would not want to live in a universe small and boring enough for me to comprehend it.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 04/30/2003 10:09 PM CDT
Awesome post, Radiant.

>>Now, I realize that common sense and Crossing are like oil and water, and I'm now going to get attacked by sixty different people. But these rules are for the benefit of the corpses, not me. I can always get up and walk out. They can't.

I really loved that part. Almost spilled my drink laughing at the thought.

Now, if you could just get them all to listen...

~Kodiac
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 04/30/2003 10:28 PM CDT
Radiant,

I agree with Kodiac, Awesome post. And as accurate as any I've seen. I've spent some time in the Crossing guild in prime before/during/after an invasion and it's amazing to see dead people gloating about how they killed X number of creature, and know that they killed 1 to few <grins>. I do like your rules and think they should be listened to, but alas, I doubt they wil.

The Merc.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 04/30/2003 10:48 PM CDT
Of course, the Cleric's guild does have that nice little cellar where you can stuff the annoying corpses and forget about them.

Our own Elanthian Oubliette...

~Kodiac

"The best leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute intimidation works pretty well too."
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 12:49 AM CDT
<<Of course, the Cleric's guild does have that nice little cellar where you can stuff the annoying corpses and forget about them.>>

The only problem with that is the people who love to report and have it macro'd. Then if they don't report...you get joeshmoe 80th plus scripted barbarian or other guild that will make your life a living. ..hell (can I say that?). I only state this from obvious experience...

Nice post though...but I still say use the temple grounds...plenty of life/holy mana, and more areas you can stash people.

Acolyte Shalrin Ottavion--Cleric of Urrem'tier
Don't understand the post, then you don't understand me.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 01:03 AM CDT
>>Nice post though...but I still say use the temple grounds...plenty of life/holy mana, and more areas you can stash people.<<

Except no one ever takes the carcasses to the temple, and I'm certainly not going to drag them through town with an invasion going on.

Raidiant

I would not want to live in a universe small and boring enough for me to comprehend it.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 01:16 AM CDT
<<Except no one ever takes the carcasses to the temple, and I'm certainly not going to drag them through town with an invasion going on.>>

But instead, you're going to find a dead body...and drag it the same amount of rooms to the cleric's guild then the temple? Most invasions around the bank or gates, well...for some reason they don't go near Immortal's approach.

New order:

W gate invasion...Cleric's guild
N gate invasion...Paladin's guild
NE Gate invasion...Paladin's guild
E gate invasion...Temple
Bank invasion...Temple
Empath guild invasion...Paladin's guild
Docks invasion...Temple

With this new order...just think of the new areas people never spend time in. Wow, and the Palie guild still got better mana then the Cleric's guild...plus people close for glyphs.

Acolyte Shalrin Ottavion--Cleric of Urrem'tier
Don't understand the post, then you don't understand me.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 08:04 AM CDT
>>1) Shut up.
>>[This is not] the time for living people to come in looking for blesses on weapons

This is the only point I have a problem with. When the town is swarming with critters that can only be hit with blessed weapons, and no clerics are responding on the gweth or hanging around the paladin guild/temple, what do you propose we do to eliminate the threat and keep even more bodies from piling up?

>>the room is already so crowded and noisy that extra bodies just make it harder to figure out who the dead people are

I play a cleric myself, so I'm familiar with the chaos, and this usually (see below) doesn't bother me. I've got "the body of", "silver nimbus" and "body is surrounded" highlighted... enough information to keep things rolling along smoothly. During invasions I generally work from the bottom of the room list up (FIFO), just have to ignore the noise and focus my attention on one soul at a time :)

>>If you have absolutely no purpose in being in the room, go away.

If you're holding a weapon/shield for someone or waiting for whatever reason, show some courtesy and stand there QUIETLY. If you must converse with someone, please do so in whispers as much as possible. Otherwise, yeah, go away :P

>>4) Don't ask stupid questions.
>>When the cleric and/or paladin tells you to depart, just do it.

Amen :)

\xwhisper @ Yer protected and glyphed, DEPART NOW!

What's the confusion? Go! ::kicks::

~Kyrrian and Brother Ozzy
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 10:05 AM CDT
>>But instead, you're going to find a dead body...and drag it the same amount of rooms to the cleric's guild then the temple? <<

You must have mistaken me for someone else, hon. I don't drag no one nowhere. I hang out at the Guild pretty much full-time. Invasions starts, people bring in the dead, I'm not going out to move the bodies.

I think your emergency evacuation plan is great. And I have to say, you will never, ever get the people of this city out of their rut of dragging people to the Cleric Guild. Heck, I can't even get them out of their habit of running their mouths while they do it. ;)

Raidiant

Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 10:10 AM CDT
>>This is the only point I have a problem with. When the town is swarming with critters that can only be hit with blessed weapons, and no clerics are responding on the gweth or hanging around the paladin guild/temple, what do you propose we do to eliminate the threat and keep even more bodies from piling up?<<

There are pretty much always clerics hanging out in the courtyard and the chapel during invasions because they don't want to be in the madhouse that is the Gathering Hall, but they don't want to go outside and get kakked by whatever's invading. I know, because that's what I do when I just can't take the scroll any more.

>>I play a cleric myself, so I'm familiar with the chaos, and this usually (see below) doesn't bother me. I've got "the body of", "silver nimbus" and "body is surrounded" highlighted... enough information to keep things rolling along smoothly. During invasions I generally work from the bottom of the room list up (FIFO), just have to ignore the noise and focus my attention on one soul at a time :)<<

I do the same, but if the scroll is bad enough, and it frequently is, none of that stuff stays on my screen long enough for me to see it. And what usually happens because everyone is frantically trying to grab one corpse and deal with it in the mess is that three or four clerics are working on one guy, and someone else lies there the whole time without any help. Yesterday, a favorless corpse Walked because he couldn't hear my instructions through the noise. That's just wrong.

Raidiant

Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 10:54 AM CDT
<blames Raidiant for all his problems>

Just because no one has really attacked you yet. Didn't want you to be disappointed!

Good ideas though. I just prefer not to die, it works out better that way.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 11:20 AM CDT
This post was hilarious! I just have two things to say, then all you clerics can flame me all you want.

1. This is a text game, hence the scroll. (I'm still laughing really hard at this point)

2. If you don't want to deal with other people, then go to yer house and lock your door. As far as I know the clerics guild is still a public place. (I'm not laughing as hard cause my sides are starting to hurt)

Eowen
''Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.''
Elbert Hubbard
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 12:04 PM CDT
Bah.. I respect you alot Eowen, but that post was really stupid.
And people wonder why clerics stop helping...

~Aeth
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 01:02 PM CDT
Scroll in the cleric guild can get really bad during invasions. I have experienced scoll where a line of text will go from the bottom of my screen to off it at the top in about 3 seconds. It's important that clerics be able to determine who is rejuved, soul bonded, healed and ready to be raised (once that's back in full), as well as track mana which involves alot of reading when there are 20 deaders, 5 clerics, 5 empaths, 11 draggers, 4 people looking for blesses and 2 graverobbers. You can laugh at this as a problem all you want, but it just makes you look stupid, because it is a real concern.

I'm mostly gonna ignore your thoughts on the cleric guild's access. Of course idiots can wander in pretty much anytime they want. That's why I don't go there much anymore. Fortunately, clerics do have the ability to ban people from the guild, so it's open access until we decide you should leave.

-Gheist
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 03:46 PM CDT
>>1. This is a text game, hence the scroll. (I'm still laughing really hard at this point)<<

Brilliant grasp of the obvious. If it weren't a text game, there would be no godawful scroll for me to try to get people to cut down on. I'm SO glad you cleared that up for me.

>>2. If you don't want to deal with other people, then go to yer house and lock your door. As far as I know the clerics guild is still a public place. (I'm not laughing as hard cause my sides are starting to hurt)<<

Wonderful idea. And then you can rejuve all those dead people in my place. That makes SO much more sense than them shutting up so I can actually see to help them.

By the way, the Cleric Guild is NOT, actually, a public place. That would be why, when you come in and open your mouth to me during an invasion, I can toss your butt out in the street.

I'm so glad we had this little chat.

Raidiant

Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 03:52 PM CDT
<opens his mouth to say something to Raidiant, then stops, thinks better of it, turns and walks out searching for his perpetually baby raccoon>

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 07:18 PM CDT
In plat for invasions we usually use the paladin guild rather than the clerics anyway for triage and rejuvin. Better holy mana anyhow, and closer to the NE gate, where most invasions seem to take place. Course we don't have that annoying sentinel there that kicks wanted folks into the dung heap.

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 07:39 PM CDT
>Course we don't have that annoying sentinel there that kicks wanted folks into the dung heap.

Kind of off topic, but how long does that guard keep you out? I honestly can't remember a time where I've been allowed in the Paladin Guild. I've only been arrested a handful of times in the past few years, and I haven't been arrested in at least 5 months.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 10:48 PM CDT
you're thrown in there if you are CURRENTLY wanted ANYWHERE in the realms. <that includes the islands,etc> You can have been arrested thousands of times and still walk in there if you aren't currently wanted. I can and have...

<burns the arrest record....>
schvartz

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 11:01 PM CDT
Thanks. I'm a bit confused though. I don't think I'm wanted anywhere.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 11:04 PM CDT
check the islands. and theres 2 seperate justice systems on ratha--both upper and lower.

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/01/2003 11:06 PM CDT
Actually, now that I think about it... I attacked one of those Corsairs that walk around Ratha? Hara?. But I was tied to a pole and whipped for it. Not sure if I'd still be wanted after that.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 08:18 AM CDT
<<Bah.. I respect you alot Eowen, but that post was really stupid.
And people wonder why clerics stop helping...>>

I guess it wasn't really the post so much as the poster. I just don't really care for the way she comes off.

Eowen
Elbert Hubbard
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 08:24 AM CDT
<<Wonderful idea. And then you can rejuve all those dead people in my place. That makes SO much more sense than them shutting up so I can actually see to help them.>>

Sure, that's not a problem. Seeing as I also play a cleric.

<<I'm so glad we had this little chat.

Raidiant>>

There are only a handful of people that I absolutely cannot stand in all of the realms, and with your attitude you are one of them.

<<I would not want to live in a universe small and boring enough for me to comprehend it.>>

This should actually say: I want to live in MY universe where everyone does exactly what I want them to do.

Eowen
Elbert Hubbard
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 01:12 PM CDT
>>Sure, that's not a problem. Seeing as I also play a cleric.<<

I'm dying to see you handle a whole invasion by yourself, sweetie. Be sure and call me to watch.

>>There are only a handful of people that I absolutely cannot stand in all of the realms, and with your attitude you are one of them.<<

What, you mean we're not going to be bestest buddies? ::sob, sob::

>>This should actually say: I want to live in MY universe where everyone does exactly what I want them to do.<<

Have I mentioned how ironically appropriate your own signature line is? Certainly slobbered a bibful that time, hon.

Raidiant

Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 01:18 PM CDT
<YAWN>

Eowen
Elbert Hubbard
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 01:26 PM CDT
This is not a conflict folder.

-Gheist
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/02/2003 01:31 PM CDT
-Gheist>>This is not a conflict folder.

What, it's not proper etiquette to engage in conflict? Thought that was what Elanthia was all about ;)

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/13/2003 04:03 PM CDT
>>This is the only point I have a problem with. When the town is swarming with critters that can only be hit with blessed weapons, and no clerics are responding on the gweth or hanging around the paladin guild/temple, what do you propose we do to eliminate the threat and keep even more bodies from piling up?<<

Well the one phylosphy I've always adhere to is that I don't have to participate in "every single evasion."

As a 50+ Warrior Mage, I've always been wary of invasion. Mainly because I see folks dozens of circles above me dying easy. So if I hear of a invasion, particularly when it's undead, I stay clear away from it.

I can't expect to hunt down a cleric in the middle of chaos and ask them, "pardon me, but would you mind blessing my weapon among this carnage?"

If I don't fight, then I just scavenge for a bit or drag carcases(gotta love left over treasure and armor from invasions).

Woodcubb of Illithi
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/15/2003 04:49 PM CDT

I'll be fine with that so long as the next time I'm told to depart before I'm ready, I can use it as consent.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/15/2003 05:06 PM CDT
The message you get when your memories are fully restored is "You feel a sense of security as the spell lends its protection to your fragile memories," and "You feel a sense of security as the spell lends additional protection to your fragile memories." Before they are done, you get "A warmth surrounds you briefly as the tatters of fog that shroud your memory part somewhat."

-Gheist
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/19/2003 02:13 PM CDT

I'll be fine with that so long as the next time I'm told to depart before I'm ready, I can use it as consent."

Great one more person looking for a reason to have consent on a cleric.
Look if a cleric tells you to depart because they know your memories have not been protected and just want to get their jollies watching a teeny bit of your experience go away, then I don't have a real problem with you attacking them.

However, since most clerics sitting in the guild rejuving rotting corpses are doing it for no benefit of themselves, can we just assume for once that they are trying to help you, and if by chance ones accidentally tells you to depart before your memories are ready, and you also haven't kept track of your memory status, chalk it up to a simple mistake? I believe I have failed to protect memories 2 times- both by accident- in 6 years and probably three or four hundred rejuvenations. If I have to worry about consent being involved, I can easily avoid the aggravation and stop rejuvenating all together- I get nothing for rejuving folks during an invasion- I learn essentially no magic, no one offers tips(nor do I want them much if scroll is that bad), there isn't any RP involved- just prepare and cast, prepare and cast.

Flavius
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/20/2003 04:39 PM CDT
>>Great one more person looking for a reason to have consent on a cleric.

Nice try, but no.

I was simply saying that the clerics have often told me to depart before I have had a glyph or my memories ready.

>>no one offers tips

I guess not everyone is like me.

>>there isn't any RP involved- just prepare and cast, prepare and cast.

Most of the realms seem to be that way right now, we'll get through it.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/20/2003 05:00 PM CDT
I may be misunderstanding this, and I hope I am but.

>I was simply saying that the clerics have often told me to depart before I have had a glyph or my memories ready.

Are you saying you want concent on a cleric if they tell you to depart and you don't have a glyph? If so, you need to re-evaluate how you think. Just because your dead and a cleric rejuves you, does not mean they have to get you a glyph as well. If your done being rejuved and are told to depart, that means the cleric has done there part (if they even feel like doing that much) and is in no way responsible for you getting a glyph. When I rejuve, I say depart twice, if you don't do it I move to the next person. And no, that's not concentable as I tried to help, but since you (no one in perticular, general you) were to busy talking to your friends to notice it isn't my problem.

Inept Acoylte

They say I'm cocky, and I say "what?" It ain't braggin if you back it up. -- Kid Rock, Cocky
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/20/2003 05:36 PM CDT
<<there isn't any RP involved- just prepare and cast, prepare and cast.>>

You say "RP" when what I suspect you really mean is "Sitting down and paying a lot of attention to me." If there is an invasion and bodies are piled up waist deep it is perfectly appropriate RP for a cleric to perform the rejuving as quickly and efficiently as possible. Just because you (as a corpse) have a lot of time on your hands at the moment doesn't mean the cleric's not rushed.

Gizella
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/20/2003 07:29 PM CDT
<<there isn't any RP involved- just prepare and cast, prepare and cast.>>

OR from the point of view of the Cleric, CREATE the RP. Healing is often a thing which ends up being a "fast as you can" job, and many people could say it involves no RP, especially where people just end up squelching the majority of the output anyway. But simply adding one sentence where you interact with the patient/corpse in a unique way can do WONDERS for RP.

Also, as Gizella mentioned, what wouldn't be RP about a Cleric working extremely hard to restore life to those around him? I mean, yes, it's not extremely marvelous type event bringing RP, but a cleric working hard certainly doesn't go AGAINST RP.

But, if you want more from it, put more into it. Bless the body before they depart, pray over the corpse, find a unique way of telling them they are ready to come back to the world. So many possibilities of CREATING RP. Can always put it in a macro if you're that pushed for time, but I can see a cleric taking the time to perform a certain ritual in a plea to their Immortal/s to watch over the body on its journey.

Just some suggestions,
~player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/21/2003 04:37 AM CDT
I was joking about the consent thing. I only said that because of rule number 4 which I disagree with. Again, I am often told to depart before I am ready. Not asking questions and relying on the clerics isn't always a good idea.

If I'm going to kill someone, consent is the last thing on my mind.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/21/2003 12:09 PM CDT
<<I was joking about the consent thing. I only said that because of rule number 4 which I disagree with. Again, I am often told to depart before I am ready.>>

If one is aware of what's going on and pay attention to when they get your memories and wards, you won't even have to have a cleric that your ready to depart, you'll know. The messaging is there if you read it.

There's been times where a cleric got my memories up, but I noticed they slipped almost immediately and asked them to check it and they were happy to do it.

Just something to keep in mind.

Woodcubb of Illithi

You have crystal blue eyes. You are bald, with dark brown skin. You are clean shaven. You have a tattoo of a huge Taisidonian pearl nestled inside an opened oyster on your arm.
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/21/2003 12:44 PM CDT
Neither me nor my husband will go into the clerics guild when we die unless I know a cleric in there personally (my best friend is a cleric). On numerous occasions I have been raised with my mems not fully rejuved or I've been raised and then immediately died again because the cleric forgot to check the fact that I was still bleeding (internally I might add). This has also happened to my husband. Now I can understand that people make mistakes whether it's all the scroll, inexperience or what not. What really put me off was that fact that a couple clerics actually had the nerve to call me names and make it out like it was my fault they messed up. I now mostly have nothing to do with the clerics guild if I die, I would sooner immediately depart after my death and not deal with all the grief and strife that goes on in there. I have also seen the way people act sometimes when they die demanding a rejuv and a glyph. And I can see why it seems that many of today's clerics have a chip on their shoulder.Just my two cents worth.

Eowen
Elbert Hubbard
Re: How To Be Dead In An Invasion 05/21/2003 02:04 PM CDT
>On numerous occasions I have been raised with my mems not fully rejuved

This is almost certainly untrue, because clerics would also loose ranks if they did this.

>and then immediately died again because the cleric forgot to check the fact that I was still bleeding

This would happen from time to time. Trust me, if a cleric is going to bother getting themselves a 30-45 second RT for casting resurrection on you, they aren't doing it just so you can die right away (which costs you nothing, btw).

>What really put me off was that fact that a couple clerics actually had the nerve to call me names and make it out like it was my fault they messed up.

This is probably pretty rare, but there are clerics who are jerks.

>I would sooner immediately depart after my death and not deal with all the grief and strife that goes on in there.

Many clerics feel about the same. Very few of us actively desire deaders to work on, though I get alot of my FA training there since I don't keep pet bleeders.

-Gheist
Prev_page Previous 1