You should work on... 03/22/2003 08:58 AM CST
Nothing good for me seems to come from those words, unless it's from one of my guildleaders. It seems I've been seeing it much more often from other players:

You should really work that armor skill. (Said to the Empath)
Why aren't you better at foraging? (To the Bard)
It'd be better for you if you practiced brawling. (To the Ranger)

Plain and simple: Circling at their current levels does not require them for these individual guilds, and they're not skills I use on a regular basis. Now, I am the last person you'll ever find that's a circle chaser. The bard and empath characters have been in existence for over 2 real world years, and they are at 16th and 25th circles, respectively. They could be much MUCH higher if I actually focused on their skills. But I don't. I play DragonRealms for the roleplay aspects. I like to chat, I like to become involved in storylines. Yes I do have my training periods, but they don't last terribly long.

I completely understand that an empath with armor skill is more protected, and that a ranger with brawling might be more effective, and that is where these "You should" statements stem from. But as a roleplayer, these are not paths that I necessarily choose to follow with my characters. Like I said, it's like pulling teeth to get me to work the skills I DO need! But that level 25 empath has over 100 in mech lore, which isn't needed either, but that is something I choose to work on.

I'm not necessarily angered by the "You should" statement, though at times it really wears on my nerves, because I get the armor for empath line a lot. Even though people are trying to be helpful, it really really gets old after the 5th person in a week or so. But it seems that each time I have a rebuttal for the "You should" statement, the person who delivered it gets extremely huffy and mentions "Oh well that's your problem". I just don't see it as a problem.

I know these comments won't make me terribly popular, because I understand many are trying to be helpful and that is all right, but it's the huffy attitude and "boy you're an idiot" mentality that I mostly disagree with. I do not dictate the skills that I think others should learn, and I only ask that I am allowed the same respect.

~Aurora
Re: You should work on... 04/02/2003 03:34 PM CST
"Nothing good for me seems to come from those words, unless it's from one of my guildleaders. It seems I've been seeing it much more often from other players:"

How do the other players know what your skills are in order to criticize them? The only time I can think of that someone said that to my character was a thief(actually several) who suggested that I should have better perception for my level, since I was apparently blind! I can't think of any other time someone has offered other comments. What are the contexts?

Of course folks offer opinions all the time...which are usually worth what you pay for them. Except of course when Clerics tell you to get more favors...

Flavius