When hunting 03/15/2003 01:44 PM CST
Okay this is just a pet peeve of mine.. seems to only happen in the younger areas.. rats, goblins, rock trolls, shamans etc etc.

You look around for an empty room.. there are a few.. you find one with a critter in it and start to hunt.

Then.. because you are patient.. 2 or 3 or 4 more critters come in.

Right about then someone comes in and asks to join.

It just bothers me. There are other rooms.. but mine has critters in it so that must be the place to hunt. I just wish people would find thier own rooms to hunt in instead of finding the person with the most critters in it and asking to join in.

I can understand when the area is full.. and i understand about mana rooms.. but.. I wait my turn for rooms.. i look around for empty ones.. why cant everyone else do the same?

Sometimes i dont WANT to kill anything.. especially when im training a young character.. i just want to stand there and dance and get MO and train some weapons and defences by dancing for an hour or two.

~Your friendly neighborhood Dusk~
Re: When hunting 03/15/2003 09:29 PM CST
Perhaps they're asking you because they want a hunting partner? I know when I'm helping a novice out I always mention how if they don't feel like they can handle the critters by themselves, they should ask around and see if they can hunt with someone else.

I don't think they're moving in all the time simply to steal your critters ::shrugs::

~Fillia, the cupcake

"Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set"
Re: When hunting 03/17/2003 12:08 PM CST
When I'm new to an area, I usually ask if I can hunt with someone, just to be sure I"m not in over my head. Of course, I usually explain that as well, so they know where I"m coming from. In your shoes, I too would be upset if I let someone hunt in my area and they killed them very quickly, which would indicate they were just looking for a room with lots of critters.

Life is just one damned thing after another.
- Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892 - 1950)
Re: When hunting 03/17/2003 08:58 PM CST
See those two examples are fine.. but seeing someone with stuff with value similar to the things i have my little mage stocked up with bugs me.

They obviously have the coins to get those things so they should understand how to hunt.

Also.. this tends to be only a reoccuring thing in the specifically busy rooms. Ive hunted in the so-called dead rooms and no one bothers me.. its those mana rooms and known busy/high gen rooms that im always being pestered.

Like tonight for instance.. guy walks in and just stands there waiting for someone to engage him. I PEER about in all the available directions and each room around me is free of people.

I got mad at this guy when he actually just starting fighting and stuff that i retreated and walked away.. leaving him with the 6 critter that were on me to dal with.

I saw his name in lights a few minutes later.. and when i went back to drag him.. he wasnt in the realms anymore.

Re: When hunting 03/18/2003 06:27 AM CST
<<I got mad at this guy when he actually just starting fighting and stuff that i retreated and walked away.. leaving him with the 6 critter that were on me to dal with.

Heh, I retreat, then hide and watch the show. I find with two in the room, those six start inviting friends...

Life is just one damned thing after another.
- Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay (1892 - 1950)
Re: When hunting 03/21/2003 10:28 AM CST
I can understand being upset if someone comes in where you are and just sits there waiting to be engaged. However, if someone asks to join you, all you have to say is no. That doesn't seem to be too annoying. In fact, it's polite.

-Fierolan
Re: When hunting 03/24/2003 10:19 AM CST
>Right about then someone comes in and asks to join.

>It just bothers me. There are other rooms.. but mine has critters in it so that must be the place to hunt.

Um, actually I do this a lot, just because I search out good mana rooms. But then I don't kill anything and usually offer to heal in trade for bringing in more critters, particularly if the person I'm with looks like they're getting knocked about because of the additional hunting.

Honestly, I rarely dance for long, just because it mucks up my mind so fast, when I'm dancing at my skill level. Oh, I'll stick around long enough to be sure you're ok, before I make my exit, and warn if I have to cast Innocence to get the critters to go away, but dancing as an empath, alone, gets really, really boring. At least with company, there's someone to watch and maybe even talk to, if they're working armor too. <g>

I'll also offer to play anvil if you want to work ranged or brawl with some of the critters a little to make 'em easier to hit if they're dodging well.

If you don't want me to stick around, just say "No thank you." Its not that tough to do.

Battle Empath Diomid Dubh-Vanyevich

Re: When hunting 03/25/2003 01:02 PM CST
It is hard to say No. I dont care what anyone says. I am a personable fellow when i want to be and i <Dusk> is well known by most folks who know him as being a nice guy. My other characters have the same attitudes. I like to help. I like to answer questions if i can.. offer advice etc etc.

When i hunt though.. i like to hunt alone. Its partially a pride thing <just to prove to myself i can do it> and for training reasons.. i train how i like for the length i need and switch to cover other training styles.

But, that being said.. saying no makes me feel bad because i dont want to seem like a mean person.. or greedy or whatever. I just want to be left alone to hunt and train untill i feel like being sociable.

Re: When hunting 03/25/2003 01:12 PM CST
<<I just want to be left alone to hunt and train untill i feel like being sociable.>>

You know, even though I can see the point of the folks saying "Just say no" I agree with you. If I wanted to hunt with someone I would arrange it before I go hunting. I really don't see how asking someone to join can be seen as anything other than begging for you to stop what you're doing and protect them while they get what they need from the area. Then again, I'm kind of weird.

Gizella
Re: When hunting 03/28/2003 07:44 PM CST
I rarely hunt, and when I do, it's usually a little dangerous for me to do so. If I know I'm going somewhere that I could get hurt or killed, I arrange a hunting partner beforehand. That said, I find hunting very, very boring. I hate to hunt alone, and I've made some good friends by walking into a room and asking if they minded if I joined them.

I understand you want to be a nice guy, but I think if you explain the reasons why you prefer to hunt alone (they're all perfectly valid reasons), no one is going to be upset. Unless they're a jerk, in which case who cares anyhow.

And in case you didn't know, if someone comes in your room and starts hunting your critters without your permission, I'm pretty sure that's considered consent (I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain - been a while since I read the policy). Being a nice guy you probably wouldn't want to act on that consent, but....
Re: When hunting 03/28/2003 08:04 PM CST
well, in plat I tend to hunt alone with certain of my characters for very IC type reasons.

1. It is not considered proper to backstab in front of the non-initiated.

2. I like to backstab.

;-)

Other characters <my mages,etc> are more than willing to hunt with others.

My barb tends to hunt alone as well.

Live long and prosper, your pockets are open,anyway.
Re: When hunting 03/29/2003 10:12 AM CST
>>It is not considered proper to backstab in front of the non-initiated.<<

I was under the impression that one could not make a distinction between a theif that was backstabing and any other player that was ambushing.

Re: When hunting 03/29/2003 10:59 AM CST
Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), I seem to remember seeing backstabs a few times, and you can tell the difference between them and an ambush.

-Fierolan
Re: When hunting 03/29/2003 02:12 PM CST
It's a difference of IC and OOC knowledge on backstab. The game does say 'backstab' but to the character, it probably doesn't look any different than anyone else sneaking up and attacking the critter from behind. The only difference is that the thief has more training with making precision strikes. Or at least, that's how I see it.

-Nimoar
Re: When hunting 03/31/2003 09:11 AM CST
>>And in case you didn't know, if someone comes in your room and starts hunting your critters without your permission, I'm pretty sure that's considered consent

Nobody owns a room, that does not change. But, if the intruder insists on interfering with the occupying party's hunting, or begins to take items, skins, or kills that obviously should have gone to the occupants first -- then they (the intruders) ARE operating under implied consent.

Brabs

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried up it isn't bolted down.
Re: When hunting 04/02/2003 03:31 PM CST
Dusk,
I understand why you might be upset- but look at it from the other point of view- someone is in a hunting area- doesn't know anyone- so goes to look for someone whom it might be fun to hunt with. Now if they were worried about each person saying 'no' and therefore never did it, what would you say to them? My point is, coming in and asking politely is a way to meet people, its a sociably thing to do. And one of you get to learn teaching and the other some additional skills. Neither asking or saying no is wrong.

Sure its never fun to say no- but if you can't say no, then you have no one to blame for yourself. As a cleric, alot of us complain about folks expecting us to resurrect them, but its not that hard to say no- not if it really bothers you.

Flavius
Re: When hunting 04/05/2003 11:02 PM CST
I rarely actually want a hunting partner for several reasons. One, generally the way I train isn't conducive to group hunting. Two, I tend to hunt things that I may need to quickly run away from and I don't like to leave my hunting partner flapping in the breeze with more than he can handle. (I also don't like to be left flapping in the breeze when I find out they're a runner or a stand at missle and let you get beat up sort).

However, the type of response they get mostly depends on whether they seem to want a partner or they just want my room. I'm much more receptive to the former than the latter.
Re: When hunting 04/06/2003 03:53 PM CDT
>>>seeker of the gonifless topic

I adore the 'gonif, but damn, that's funny.

I hunt the same. I understand.

<still laughing>

~Dulci

Men: Can't live with 'em; can't kill 'em.