GM Harassment Etiquette 06/23/2016 03:56 PM CDT
What is the proper protocol for finding out about renewing vouchers, collecting winnings, or other general inquiries that require that you contact feedback, events, or GMs personally. For example the dispenser raffle prizes. I read a post that recommended you maintain contact with both the GM and events so that there is a paper trail during the time that the over loaded GM doing the alterations is catching up. I sent a letter and got a response (Thank you by the way :D ) Since then I have had several people message me asking, how much contact is enough without being too much?

I just thought it would be nice to get some clarification so that players feel assured that they are not forgotten, but at the same time GMs are not opening their email every day to 4600 emails from panicked players scared of losing prizes/alterations/etc etc etc

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
-Soren Kierkegaard
Re: GM Harassment Etiquette 06/23/2016 04:10 PM CDT
>>I read a post that recommended you maintain contact with both the GM and events so that there is a paper trail during the time that the over loaded GM doing the alterations is catching up. I sent a letter and got a response (Thank you by the way :D ) Since then I have had several people message me asking, how much contact is enough without being too much?

I don't know how often is "too much" contact. I personally touch base on things every two or so weeks because I'm not really in that much of a rush to get something (hell, I've been playing for a decade+ what's another week or two to wait for something).

That said, once you make your initial contact that generally counts as "locking in" your redemption. So, if you ever have a voucher that says "can only be redeemed in 30 days" and you touch base at least once within that window, you're safe in the event the GM can't respond within that window, as well. Of course, that also means if a GM responds to you, you shouldn't go awol for a month yourself, but GMs are generally understanding with these things. AFAIK, the main goal of the timers are to make sure players log what they want to prevent an unexpected rush of redemptions that might disrupt a future wave of vouchers.

IMO, the main thing to keep in mind is that GMs are people (which I believe most players do!), and it's perfectly okay to touch base in order to follow up on something as long as you're not being hostile about it. Most of my follow-ups involve "hey, just checking in on this" and it's worked fine for me so far.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: GM Harassment Etiquette 06/24/2016 05:53 PM CDT
Yeah was kinda hoping for some GM feedback on this so they can lay out what they prefer, but that is good too. :)

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
-Soren Kierkegaard
Re: GM Harassment Etiquette 06/27/2016 12:53 PM CDT
Most GMs will respond within a week. If you don't get a response within a week, email again on the same thread, not a new email, or you'll risk 1. creating more mail and 2. forcing them to hunt through their emails to find your first one.

If you're only around very specific hours, mention it. If you know you're going to be away for a while, mention it. We really don't mind catching up with you later.

Sometimes we drop the ball, forget, or get distracted with other stuff. Feel free to email to check in.

For myself: if I've told you that you're in the queue, that means I've put you on my spreadsheet with all the notes I need to do your alter. It also means I've started looking for you in game when I'm available. If I did not tell you you're in queue, we're still working stuff out in emails. Not all GMs do this. I do it because I've got a lot of stuff I'm following up on.

---
NaOH+HI