Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 05:07 PM CST
There's an issue I've been having during invasions - most often up in Haven - that I'm not sure how to deal with, and I could use some input.

I play an empath, and she has an alfar. When an invasion happens, I make it a point to go search for a room with good life mana in it AND where no one else is fighting. My empath's alfar can kill a fair number of lower level critters, but fast he is not, and this despite the fact that my empath's TM is better than her best armor! And for the record, I'm talking about an invasion of creatures that are neither constructs nor undead.

What usually happens is that some person or group of people will walk in and start attacking whatever's there. They don't ask if I need or want help, they just assume. And ALWAYS, they kill the critter my empath's alfar is fighting, because they can do it faster than the alfar can. So even if I command my alfar to fight a different critter, it's pretty pointless, because eventually the people who just walked in are going to horn in on that, too.

Now I realize that during an invasion, if there are enough critters in the room, even if you assess combat, the scroll is such you can barely read what it tells you before it flies up the screen and out of view. And it's also such that sometimes I even have a hard time keeping track of whether my alfar just killed something so I can make sure that whatever it's attacking next makes sense.

Is it acceptable to ask people to please go fight someplace else if I was in the room first? If it isn't, do I have any other options to contribute to the slaying besides doing triage, assuming that these are living creatures invading that my empath can't attack directly? I'm feeling pretty frustrated with this and am on the cusp of not giving a hoot about the helping with auto-generated invasions anymore because I feel completely crowded out from doing anything useful except triage. And while triage is okay, sometimes I'd really like a change of pace.
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 05:12 PM CST
>What usually happens is that some person or group of people will walk in and start attacking whatever's there.

This happens to everyone. Invasions are 'spam AoE and thrown or go home' festivals.

>Is it acceptable to ask people to please go fight someplace else if I was in the room first?

My answer below, but my first question is, why? Does it matter? If you're contributing to the counter-force, does it matter who kills? Or is it strictly 'this is my room and these are my kills' pride?

That said, I'm fairly consistent in that it doesn't matter to me either way. If you asked me to move on, I'd shrug and do so. You've either got things in-hand or will die :).
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 06:00 PM CST
Something to keep in mind:

While you the player know the auto generated invasion isn't going to push into the city or spread out of control so your slow alfar can take it's time; it is still an invasion. A large force bent on killing innocent townspeople so close to the city walls should be stopped as soon as possible.

What's more frustrating for me in invasions (or hunting with an empath) is that alfar get hit by AOE spells. I wish there was a way to target <creatures> but not pets, as well as the current target <creatures> and pets. For those times when you don't want to kill the alfar, and the times that you do.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 07:30 PM CST
>>it is still an invasion. A large force bent on killing innocent townspeople so close to the city walls should be stopped as soon as possible.

I agree here. In character, it makes sense for everyone to run around killing as quickly as possible. You are still helping by doing damage, softening things up! I think you should take pride in that, in addition to killing blows.

However, that said, you could certainly say something like, "I've got these ones covered, try X location." Or, "I think I can kill these ones and I'd like to try."

Most people will be considerate of what you want and how you want to participate. However, it's just not current evasion etiquette to assume each person fighting alone wants it to stay that way. You may end up with some who don't hear you or do a lot of damage before they can retreat. Your contribution to the RP of the situation is still appreciated.

- Navesi
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 08:47 PM CST
Yeah, Navesi pretty much covered what I was thinking. As long as you're not the last room that contains enemies, saying "I've got this covered, go lend your aid to others!" would be the best IC response in my mind. It's not like being out hunting where you should really be expecting people to stay out of your room.

For some reason you just can't stop thinking about glarmencouplers.
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/20/2016 08:52 PM CST
Unfortunately in most evasions, people just run around and aoe burn everything in the area. I know sometimes they put a GM say out about not getting involved if your high level in a low level invasion, but people still do it. Its unfortunate. I went so far as to killing people doing that with my necro before.
Re: Invasion Etiquette? 02/21/2016 06:26 PM CST

I often see higher level characters around Riverhaven pull back till the big stuff comes at the end. If you let them know you are ok and you have this, usually the groups will move and the individual hunters will move. Sometimes at the end folks get a bit ready to put it to rest and group up and eliminate the threat real quick. Most people tend to really considerate around Riverhaven. speak up. Sometimes i will go set up a triage spot ect if it is low level stuff. sometimes i will grab a weapon i have low skill in and join in... If you don't say anything, people see EMPATH GETTING ATTACKED BY HORDES OF CRITTERS and it seems anyone with a drop or two of pallie blood in them goes on high alert....

The feeble old swamp shaman