What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 01:54 PM CDT
I had 4 bleeders and went to the NPC empath in Ratha. When I got there, there were 2 others at the empath one was getting healed and almost done, the other player was waiting. Now since no one had bleeders and I had 4, I felt that I was in proper Etiquette not waiting in line to get the bleeders healed. They were not bad bleeders, and I probably could have tended them while waiting in line, but since I believe NPC empaths don't take infection (and I have gotten and infected bleeder before), I still feel I was in proper Etiquette to have my bleeders taken as a priority since I was still at greater risk of death.

I just wonder what everyone thinks is the proper Etiquette for this situation.

Therefore send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. - John Donne
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 02:17 PM CDT
I'm of the same opinion. If you are bleeding it is ok to lay down at the auto-path in front of others. Be courteous enough to sit up once they are healed though. Some people will still get pissy because you slowed down their healing, but they'll get over it.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 02:19 PM CDT
IMO if you're bleeding or in other critical need and others aren't, it's fine to skip the line to avoid dying.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 02:29 PM CDT
Yeah, I agree. If you have more serious wounds than the others then by all means lie down and get them healed. As long as you mention it to any others waiting, there shouldn't be a problem.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 04:54 PM CDT

>> IMO if you're bleeding or in other critical need and others aren't, it's fine to skip the line to avoid dying.

Agreed.

People get angry if you just cut for the hell of it.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/29/2015 05:15 PM CDT

To avoid dying it seems perfectly reasonable. I'd probably fall over and say something about imminent death. If you have two light bleeder that are tended and make me wait another 5 minutes at the autopath to take my last couple scuffs I'll be cranky.

Jalika
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/30/2015 12:39 AM CDT
<<To avoid dying it seems perfectly reasonable. I'd probably fall over and say something about imminent death. If you have two light bleeder that are tended and make me wait another 5 minutes at the autopath to take my last couple scuffs I'll be cranky.

This. If you're about to die, fine as long as you say something and then once not dying you stand up. If you're extending the time it takes to heal my last couple of scuffs by 5 to 10 minutes when there's no emergency then there's an issue. Plus it's just plain rude.

The only pvp warnings I have ever got were over npc empaths, so this says a lot about how much I hate this. My greatest wish for DR is that all autopaths gain some sort of prioritized wait list. Fang Cove would be ideal, but anything else would be better.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/30/2015 11:47 AM CDT
Few things piss me off/make me murderous more than someone trying to cut me off for the hell of it. I agree that if it would literally kill you to wait, then say something and once stable get up. However, if your bleeders are easily tendable and you're only concerned you MIGHT get infection while you wait...just wait. Autopath's take long enough as it is without people adding to it by throwing themselves down in a frenzy of worry that their text may one day die from infection. You're just as liable to die by the person you delayed.

To all the Empath's who come to the remote locales to save us from those situations, thank you.

AIM: the_sly_fox

"And that's about as likely as zombie George Washington coming back from the dead to save us from the 2016 political season." -Raesh
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/30/2015 12:13 PM CDT
This is why I have a pet empath, and why I'm a sucker. Because why turn the speed of healing up on auto-puffs if people will just make second accounts. Lol

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/30/2015 08:30 PM CDT
<This is why I have a pet empath, and why I'm a sucker. Because why turn the speed of healing up on auto-puffs if people will just make second accounts. Lol

I could reactive my slave account I guess, but I don't wannaaaa. Besides, I know people like us always have them but I'd wager there is a large part of the population that don't.

AIM: the_sly_fox

"And that's about as likely as zombie George Washington coming back from the dead to save us from the 2016 political season." -Raesh
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/30/2015 10:36 PM CDT
God I would love to see autohealers and remedies become more viable.

Also more herbalist (non-empath) autohealers in general. :V

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 12:56 AM CDT

Remove autohealers, make remedies a bit more manageable.

It's okay if the game is hard. We seem to have forgotten that.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 07:20 AM CDT
Removing autohealers doesn't make the game hard. It makes it unplayable for many people unless they open an alt account.

If you want to play that way do it. The game can be as difficult as you want it to be, but forcing others to play how you want is dumb.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 11:53 AM CDT

>> Removing autohealers doesn't make the game hard. It makes it unplayable for many people unless they open an alt account.

That is simply not true. It makes other things in the game have more value. Saying you can't play the game with a "second account" is quite silly. That should never be used in these discussions.

This is supposed to be an interactive game, regardless if some players choose to not view or play it as such. Perhaps you would see a greater demand for empaths if autohealers were removed. If there was a greater demand for empaths, there might be more players playing empaths. So really, in the end it might make the game EASIER, yet bring more interaction. Strange how that works.

Or, if you wish to play the game solo, play an empath, necromancer, or start using herbs. (Indirectly necromancers have more value now too.)

>> If you want to play that way do it. The game can be as difficult as you want it to be, but forcing others to play how you want is dumb.

It's not dumb. Making the game easier has taken a lot of unique qualities from the game that made it special. I'd like to see us head back in that direction. It's okay for a game to be hard. Look at Gemstone. People die all the time, and in return... they get a lot of cool stuff to make up for it. We can't have any of that cool stuff because the game would be too easy.

For example, people die ALL THE TIME in Gemstone. Certain classes get teleportation abilities that warp to people, and then you can bring them back. My view is that these abilities evolved because of the death rate in GS. Where in DR death is less rare, so if we had these abilities, it would make the game easier.

TLDR: Make game harder, get cooler abilities. Make game easier, get less cool abilities.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 11:58 AM CDT
>>It's not dumb. Making the game easier has taken a lot of unique qualities from the game that made it special.

Making it "easier" also makes it more accessible and relatable to modern gameplay expectations.

While healing itself also expanded, Empaths as a guild have also been guided to more expanded non-healer roles. I think making players resort to PC empaths for functional/accessible healing would create an odd conflict in player expectations of the role. It would also penalize players for playing in less used zones or non-active hours.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 12:37 PM CDT

>> Making it "easier" also makes it more accessible and relatable to modern gameplay expectations.

This is simply false. There is depth and there is complexity. When dev's make things "simple" or "easy" they often remove both depth and complexity. The goal is to alleviate complexity while retaining depth.

This is what destroyed Diablo 3 (initially) and the opposite, what made Path of Exile a huge success.

I also question why anyone would want to move Dragonrealms to a "modern gameplay expectation." It's not a modern game. That would require changing everything about the game, e.g. removing scripted learning being the biggest.

>> While healing itself also expanded, Empaths as a guild have also been guided to more expanded non-healer roles. I think making players resort to PC empaths for functional/accessible healing would create an odd conflict in player expectations of the role. It would also penalize players for playing in less used zones or non-active hours.

There is no conflict in the roles. Gemstone has combat empaths that both heal and hunt. Generally the empaths hunt, then return to town and can heal while experience drains. The same could apply here. Empaths lock combats, return to town and heal while combat drains.

>> It would also penalize players for playing in less used zones or non-active hours.

It's not a penalty. It's a choice players make. The areas are supposed to be isolated no? Perhaps zones would get more use if there was more of a demand. Or players could use herbs. Maybe the remedy market would boom if players needed them to heal.

Instead we are relying on an NPC system to solve problems which could otherwise be a PC problem solved by PCs.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 04:14 PM CDT
>>I also question why anyone would want to move Dragonrealms to a "modern gameplay expectation." It's not a modern game.

the same reason why AD&D now has a 5th edition. Things are learned, expectations adjust, etc.

>>The same could apply here. Empaths lock combats, return to town and heal while combat drains.

And if they don't want to?

>>It's not a penalty. It's a choice players make. The areas are supposed to be isolated no?

Except GMs also want areas used. So if you go "here's a hunting area except no auto path and other expected needs (gem/skin selling, repairs, etc)," the area goes unused. Remote is an IC concept, not a "unviable for playing there and enjoying it" concept.

Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 04:48 PM CDT
Having NPCs offer services isn't about depth or complexity of a system, it's about quality of life. The presence of NPC shops doesn't diminish the depth of the crafting system Kodius has spent so many hours developing, because player-crafted goods are far superior to shop options, for the trade off of decreased availability and increased cost. By the same token, the presence of NPC healing options doesn't diminish the depth of Empath healing or Remedies. What it does affect is utilization, which is arguably a problem for Remedies. However, I would say that the low utilization of remedies has more to do with high complexity from needing over a dozen different components for full healing, combined with the weight of the remedies and the lack of an efficient distribution system via trader tables.

In fact, I would say diminishing the availability of NPC healing would diminish the depth of the wound system. At present, there is a point where wounds are not immediately fatal, but may become that way in the absence of help. When help is available, the option to attempt to flee and seek healing exists, and adds to the game. But this option only exists when help is available, which would be generally limited to around major gathering spots on the mainland, and only at certain times of day, if NPC empaths were removed.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 06:28 PM CDT
>>However, I would say that the low utilization of remedies has more to do with high complexity from needing over a dozen different components for full healing, combined with the weight of the remedies and the lack of an efficient distribution system via trader tables.

+1

Also throw in laziness to make subs that remind me what each material does & each remedy needs/does.

Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 06:31 PM CDT
Yeah remedies are definitely unnecessarily complex right now on top of their other issues and this has contributed a great deal, I think, to them not really being used. They could use love in general. Hopefully they'll see some revisions when alchemy gets another pass.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 09:43 PM CDT
You laughed when I mentioned the secret plot to make us roll pet empaths... further evidence. SEE! It's all coming together now!

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 08/31/2015 10:31 PM CDT
>>would see a greater demand for empaths if autohealers were removed. If there was a greater demand for empaths, there might be more players playing empaths.<<

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't know if there aren't enough players in Ratha because there aren't enough empaths in Ratha, or there aren't enough emapths in Ratha because there aren't enough players in Ratha, or both.
But I do believe that removing the auto empath is a bad idea. It's important to note that the auto empath in Ratha doesn't take scars, so it is not like it replaces the need for empaths. I'm not familiar enough with the alchemy crafting system to know how much this might play into the need for empaths. All I know, is that I had a paralyzed left arm and when I gwethed for an empath several times over a 24 hour period, no empaths responded and I had to travel to the mainland to find one that would take my paralyzed left arm scar.

Therefore send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. - John Donne
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? *nudge* 09/01/2015 05:50 AM CDT
>>But I do believe that removing the auto empath is a bad idea.

This is not something in discussion of actually happening on Ratha or anywhere in the game. Just to make that completely clear.

This thread is starting to wander pretty off topic, so if we could please move back to etiquette related to auto-path use that would be great, since this is the etiquette section of the forums. Discussions of the remedies system or changes that people would want to see/not see in Empaths, auto-paths, or anything else related to healing are better suited to their own threads in the appropriate areas :)

-Persida
Re: What's the Etiquette when waiting on an NPC empath? 09/01/2015 10:33 AM CDT
For what it's worth Godking, I keep an empath on Ratha for that reason. I was gone over the weekend. Usually I'll log him in to take care of people as long as they aren't zombies or jerks. Sorry I missed it.

Monster Elec