Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 01:41 PM CST
I don't know who it is, but somebody has been being pretty messy.

>You rummage through a stone water trough and see an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, an ebony wolf bead, some braided grass, some braided grass, a map, some water and some grass.

I've personally always thought that it was good etiquette to not fill up the game with junk that could easily be thrown in a bin or even on the floor for the janitor. And yes, I wrote a short script and junked all these while posting this. I just thought that it also deserved a mention here.

Shame on you, wolf-bead-carver. Shame.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 02:13 PM CST
Somewhere, someone is going to their trough and screaming "Where did all my devotional beads go?! I WANTED DEVOTION AHHH!"

(yeah it was probably junk)

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 02:50 PM CST
It would also be nice if people didn't dump their starter gear (the items that they had when they emerged from the character manager) on donation racks. That's what trash buckets are for.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 03:16 PM CST
>didn't dump their starter gear (the items that they had when they emerged from the character manager) on donation racks

I love when people do this. You can wait out the timer the veteran has and get another weapon.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 03:45 PM CST
>I love when people do this. You can wait out the timer the veteran has and get another weapon.

That's why I put them there. The maps and the breeches/homespun caps/wooden tree pins/etc., not so much.
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 03:49 PM CST
heh, i still have that starter dwarven forging hammer on my dwarfs weapon rack in his home. No, its not a good weapon stat-wise. But it looks good on the rack. :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 04:02 PM CST
Gear and equipment that could be used or at the very least pawned is okay, I can deal with this and even see a purpose. Even some of the random clothing items that critters drop is fine really.

I probably wouldn't have even posted if it was just like 2 or 3 beads, but this was like someone stood here and carved through an entire wallets worth of beads and just dropped them there. There are a ton of little places like this where the designers pretty much give us a place to put items and transfer them between characters on the same account. I know the location of a few and use them from time to time to do this very thing. It just a shame that someone decided to make one a wastebin.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 04:48 PM CST
Where were those wolf beads? Some one probably was just making a lot of beads to quickly allow for him/her and other clerics to have OM orbs set-up after deaths, or whatever else disrupts their orb.

I know I try to keep a few owl beads on me at all times (on my cleric that is). I'd keep more, but well sadly lately I've been pretty forgetful in keeping my stash full.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 06:05 PM CST
>Where were those wolf beads?

TGNE

>>You rummage through a stone water trough

But really, there are like 133 beads there. That's just ludicrous.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 06:37 PM CST
>there are like 133 beads

Can't the beads be sacrificed for orbs at some altars? I would get favors from Firulf instead of Meraud if I could...

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 07:45 PM CST
That's exactly part of my point. The favor orbs are created by those beads, and you can also (if your a cleric) turn those into our spell holding orbs (that might not be how a really in the know cleric would call it, I just try my best and push my ranks as well as I can).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 07:53 PM CST
Oh I get your point. I know that the beads do have a use and that there would be a need/desire to have multiple ready so that you're not stuck carving one in need. These are great reasons to carry a bunch of beads on some bead chains or whatever. However, IMHO using an IG location as a quasi-vault boarders on abuse. As I said, I use these sort of hidey-holes for transferring items and I personally would hate to see them limited or removed because someone decided to drop 133 beads there for whatever intention.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/03/2013 07:56 PM CST
Personally I'm planning to use it for my favor orbs that I need to change to OM orbs. 133 is probably a bit over the top, but I bet if you had more clerics aware that those beads were available to use that 133 would be quickly shrinking.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/08/2013 09:57 PM CST
Those beads allow for favors, someone put them there on purpose and its a good thing.

- Buuwl
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 07:34 AM CST
>Those beads allow for favors, someone put them there on purpose and its a good thing.

Again, using this in that manner boarders on abuse. Beneficial or not, this is not the way things are intended to work. You need beads for favors, carry them yourself.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 08:13 AM CST
I think it depends on if the receptacle in question is designed to hold stuff for other people.

I know i've left a few <not as many as listed in the OP> wolf beads for people to use when my cleric used to live on aesry, in the clerical guild donation chest in that guildhall.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 08:26 AM CST
>in the clerical guild donation chest in that guildhall.

Perfectly reasonable to put things like that there. Out in somewhat plain sight, not tucked away. Obviously something for others put in a place where others can easily get to it and use them. 3, 10, 15 sure, not 133.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 09:33 AM CST
>>Again, using this in that manner boarders on abuse.

...I'm not sure how it can count as abuse.

>>Perfectly reasonable to put things like that [in the clerical guild donation chest]. Out in somewhat plain sight, not tucked away. Obviously something for others put in a place where others can easily get to it and use them. 3, 10, 15 sure, not 133.

Dozens of items in a zone's container might be a potential back end system issue WRT storage, but outside of that I fail to see what is OOC/abusive/etc about having a hidden cache of items.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 11:19 AM CST
>Dozens of items in a zone's container might be a potential back end system issue WRT storage, but outside of that I fail to see what is OOC/abusive/etc about having a hidden cache of items.

I agree with this. Now if a GM wants to come into this thread and tell me I'm wrong that this type of stowing away can damage the game, and needs to be ceased. Then I'll turn from this statement immediately. Right now though, it seems perfectly alright to use in that manner.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/09/2013 01:36 PM CST
<<Again, using this in that manner boarders on abuse. Beneficial or not, this is not the way things are intended to work. You need beads for favors, carry them yourself. >>

I don't want to carry them myself, don't tell me what I have too carry. Someone die and make you a GM?

- Buuwl
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 07:11 AM CST
>>a hidden cache of items.

See I don't see it like that. I see it as a hidden supply of beads that one person is keeping in order to avoid the standard mechanics associated with carrying around 133 beads.

AFAIK, the only thing that you're supposed to use like a vault is your vault. Anything else, weather actual abuse of written policy or not, is still a misuse of the system in place. If you are using this space to avoid burden/item count than that is a problem.

I put it along the same lines as boats. Yes, you CAN fill a surface up with a ton of items but that doesn't mean that anyone wants you to or that you should. And there have been comments by GM's in the past that the amount of items kept on boats had been a problem before and that they were never intended to be floating vaults.

>Someone die and make you a GM?

I don't need to be a GM to hold an opinion and express it here.

Again it all boils down to amount vs. use, if all those beads were made by one person for the sole goal of benefiting that one person...well? Currently the janitor doesn't make a habit of sweeping these areas, which is a good thing, but he always could.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 07:50 AM CST
>>AFAIK, the only thing that you're supposed to use like a vault is your vault. Anything else, weather actual abuse of written policy or not, is still a misuse of the system in place. If you are using this space to avoid burden/item count than that is a problem.

I understand your argument, but a vault (or boat) is only accessible by one player. Anyone can take items placed in the open. There are other locations in the game where you can leave items like this (on benches, tables, etc). If the GMs didn't intend for it, they can certainly change it and they have in the past when containers like this were used and it wasn't intended. For years these have been used with GM knowledge of their existence to share items for other players.

133 seems like an excessive number to me, but they're small and containers easily hold a lot.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 09:27 AM CST
>>I see it as a hidden supply of beads that one person is keeping in order to avoid the standard mechanics associated with carrying around 133 beads.

You're free to see it any way you want, but that doesn't mean policy cares if it's a full alternate armor set or a bundle of pelts or a bag of gems or a cache of clothing or etc etc etc.

>>AFAIK, the only thing that you're supposed to use like a vault is your vault. Anything else, weather actual abuse of written policy or not, is still a misuse of the system in place. If you are using this space to avoid burden/item count than that is a problem.

Someone better tell Zadraes he's breaking policy with the new furniture released.

Or, you know, any donation rack space in Crossing/Riverhaven, Plat baskets, etc.

>>And there have been comments by GM's in the past that the amount of items kept on boats had been a problem before and that they were never intended to be floating vaults.

This is different than using something non-vault in the game as a hidden cache, because it's a system storage issue. As I said, there might be an issue with 133 beads, but a dozen might be fine. I don't know what the cutoff that the GMs find acceptable tend to be.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 09:30 AM CST
Those beads really ruined your week didn't they?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 09:44 AM CST
This makes me want to write a script...

start:
put forage rock
put put rock in %1
goto start
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 09:48 AM CST
Making quite a mountain out of a bead hill.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 10:20 AM CST
Eh, I was merely explaining my point. It's totally fine if you don't agree or don't see it the way I do.

I'm still happy to clean these places when I come across them. Just really thought it would be better if it wasn't like that in the first place.

Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 01/10/2013 11:34 PM CST
A lot of those places where you can 'cache' things are legacies from The Olden Days when we were less careful in designing areas. We try to avoid introducing new ones now and yes, if enough of those 'caches' pile up, they can contribute to lag.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Don't hide your junk, DUMP your junk. 02/16/2013 10:10 AM CST
I realize that IS a mess but please do NOT put 133 beads in the cleric community chest. First off, that chest has enough dang problems keeping junk out of it. Second, yeah people could use em for orbs but not for devotion because you have to use your own carved beads for devotion. So clerics usually carve their own beads anyway.

As for the person who actually carved all those beads, next time dont dump em in a trough. If you must dump them somewhere, do it in the theren moat. Its so filthy no one would notice it anyway. Seriously, does the baron ever even clean that thing?

>>Male Persona Non grata seeking Dead Female Pokemon