Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:47 AM CDT

>Wow.... I'm getting worn out from the arguing match and trader bashing, however, let me clarify ..I DO NOT take cuts off of the top and always use my speculate to get the highest coin possible for a customer. I don't get offended if I am not tipped, but do get offended on comments like "Well you got experience" , or the treatment of traders like personal servants. (Keep in mind this seems to be a rarity, thanks goodness). Regardless, if you don't want to use a trader for the extra coin, don't...take the time and sell your gems individually or at an outpost that lets you sell them yourself. It's simple really...Don't want to use a trader? Don't. I truly don't believe many traders will be upset if someone with obvious disdain for them in the first place doesn't use their services. There are other ways we are able to gain experience.

Gem pouch skimming is pretty common, people can say it doesn't happen but I know it does. Just because you claim you don't doesn't mean you really don't. I'm not asking anyone to speculate for me to generate me extra income, if you want to do it great cool thanks, but I'm not asking for it and i'm not paying for it. I'm forced to go through traders to get my pouches sold since to keep item inventory down I have to tie my pouches. If item count didn't exist or pouches were sellable by anyone anywhere I wouldn't need to. Experience gain is tip enough, you guys generally don't take the time to sit in combat and collect the gems yourselves, having a free mind locked skill via typing >sell pouch a couple times is a great tip. Trust me, if I could type >dodge 2-3 times and have my Evasion mind locked i'd be a happy person.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:49 AM CDT
>Hmm I don't tip at all, Trader's tip from me is locking Trading in like 30 seconds with the pouches I bring. Plus it's not like Traders need the money, they have contracts for that. Time is being rewarded with OP experience gain. Plus I'm sure they also take a cut out automatically. I always assume this and therefor have their monetary tip by taking their percentage.

If sarcastic, kudos. If real, would you please give a character name so I can highlight you appropriately?

>Actually, speculates have hard cooldowns that can't be reduced by skill or stat. Speculate finesse seems to have a 1 hr cd of IN GAME time.

Now that can't be right, because I know when I last timed it that it was something like 4 minute duration and about 19 minutes offtime. And I think that it's gotten longer, but I haven't timed it in a LONG time.

I'll do that right now and see how it goes.

And the results are that at 97th circle with 30 Dis, it lasted for 6'58" exactly (I have activation and cooldown messages highlighted and used a stopwatch). That's considerably longer than I remember, I KNOW it didn't used to last longer than 5 minutes. Was reused at 23'11", so maybe about the same cooldown time, maybe minus a minute or so. Perhaps Discipline decreases the cooldown time, but I don't have it trained well. I do know the EFFECT of Speculate Finesse has grown in the 50-odd circles I've been tracking my bonuses, from 3-4% to at least 10%.

>I'm not asking them to use their speculate for me.
>I bet you don't tell them this up front

I don't use my Finesse on any random Joe Schmoe who comes in anyways, unless they happen to come in personally when I'm selling my own stock and ask, then I'll put my stuff up and sell theirs.

>Perhaps there should be a gem trader that buys tied pouches from everyone in every province, so if you want to not bother with tipping

There are financiable gem (and furrier) shops in every province, except Fofedhdar.

>I would be all for being able to sell my own tied gem pouches.

No one is stopping you from visiting any of the financiable shops. I'll even provide a list for your edification:
Financiable gem shops available: Illaya Taipa, Rossman's Landing, Throne City, Darkling Woods, Horse Clan and Fever Point. (That's 1 in Zoluren, 2 in Therengia, 2 in Ilithi, and one on M'riss).
Finaciable furrier shop available: Caravansary on North Roads and Aesry habor. (That's one in Zoluren and one on Aesry)

Byebye now. Go give us who finance shops even more profit.

>Plus I'm sure they also take a cut out automatically.

And this is insulting and says a lot about your character that you just flat out assume that all Traders are money-grubbing thieves who will cheat you without qualm. I don't hesitate to tell you what your pouch appraises for, what the offer is, and the simple math to determine the bonus generated by the offer. If you don't like it, just say so and I'll give you your pouch back and you can go away and bother someone else with your pettiness.

P.S., it's simply appraiser offer divided by pouch appraisal and goes to 2 decimel places, so if you correctly appraise your pouch at about 250-350 Appraisal, and have a calculator on hand (I use Windows Calculator), you can do the simple division and tell if a Trader is lying (unless he has some badass speed at calculation). Only works if it's a tied pouch though, because it's treated as one "gem". Open pouches each gem gets its own bonus applied and so the math isn't pretty, but it's usually within 2-3 percentage points of the Trader's base bonus.

Naniaki,
Crossing gemologist and shopkeeper

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:57 AM CDT
>>>I'm forced to go through traders to get my pouches sold since to keep item inventory down I have to tie my pouches.

You could just not tie pouches and sell them individually. Nobody's forcing you to do anything.

Alternatively, you could go to any of the player financed gem shops and sell your pouches for appraisal value to the NPC middle man, and then the Player trader would still get your pouches, and go sell them keeping far more of the profits, and get their "exp tip."

Ultimately though, you make the choice. Nobody forces you to fill pouches to 500 gems, you just don't want to leave the hunting area with only 70 in a pouch.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 11:15 AM CDT
>then the Player trader would still get your pouches, and go sell them keeping far more of the profits, and get their "exp tip."

Actually only up to about 90 plat, which is only a couple 500 gem pouches. Which should be about 102 stones tied weight.

Naniaki

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 12:03 PM CDT

>And this is insulting and says a lot about your character that you just flat out assume that all Traders are money-grubbing thieves who will cheat you without qualm. I don't hesitate to tell you what your pouch appraises for, what the offer is, and the simple math to determine the bonus generated by the offer. If you don't like it, just say so and I'll give you your pouch back and you can go away and bother someone else with your pettiness.

>P.S., it's simply appraiser offer divided by pouch appraisal and goes to 2 decimel places, so if you correctly appraise your pouch at about 250-350 Appraisal, and have a calculator on hand (I use Windows Calculator), you can do the simple division and tell if a Trader is lying (unless he has some badass speed at calculation). Only works if it's a tied pouch though, because it's treated as one "gem". Open pouches each gem gets its own bonus applied and so the math isn't pretty, but it's usually within 2-3 percentage points of the Trader's base bonus.

People whom make money don't make it by giving their services away free. They end up broke and homeless. To assume that everyone is good natured and won't skim off the top is naive sorry it's not insulting, it's realism. You're already making money off me by selling my pouches and taking your cut, plus you get the added "tip" of a locked skill. Seems pretty win win for you guys.

>No one is stopping you from visiting any of the financiable shops. I'll even provide a list for your edification:

Why would I want to pay even more of a percentage of my pouches you already make by selling them for me when you don't even have to do anything at all. I'd rather do it myself, not use a middle man. In a perfect world I'd walk into a gem shop, sell my pouches, get what they are worth and be done. There's no need to have a trader do this for me, I don't care about the extra money that you're taking from selling them.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 01:23 PM CDT

Didnt know there ws a gemshop in Ilaya normal folks could use. Normally bring back to Xings and the tip usually reflects about 3/4 of the extra a trader gets me anywhere
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 01:24 PM CDT
>To assume that everyone is good natured and won't skim off the top is naive sorry it's not insulting, it's realism. You're already making money off me by selling my pouches and taking your cut, plus you get the added "tip" of a locked skill. Seems pretty win win for you guys.

That's not realism, that's cynicism. Realism would recognize that yes, not everyone is good. It would also recognize that not everyone is a thieving bleep and that you should hoard your money like a miser and distrust every single person you see.

I'm not naive, I'm honest, which DOES exist in the real world still.

>In a perfect world I'd walk into a gem shop, sell my pouches, get what they are worth and be done. There's no need to have a trader do this for me

That's what that list of shops I copy/pasted IS. It's a bunch of shops where anyone, not just Traders, can "walk into a gem shop, sell my pouches, get what they're worth, and be done."

That you should care about the fate of those gems afterwards is irrelevant. (And it seems to be a very odd fate, not quite sure how the system works to determine what it spits out for the financing Trader).

Seek out a Trader to sell a tied pouch at a time for you, seek out a financed shop to sell a tied pouch at a time by yourself, sell your gems one at a time from an open gem pouch, or let the janitor get the gems. Those are your 4 options.

>I don't care about the extra money that you're taking from selling them.

Your choice, but it's quite a bit at the high end. If you hunt for 2 day solid, and come to me (or most any other Trader past I'd say about 90th circle), it's practically like getting a free days's hunting income, even after a modest 10% tip. That's huge.

At this point, I'm kind of glad you apparently don't play a Trader, though I regret your cynicism, and encourage you to apply to the Trader's Guild and see how it really is.

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 02:34 PM CDT

>That's not realism, that's cynicism. Realism would recognize that yes, not everyone is good. It would also recognize that not everyone is a thieving bleep and that you should hoard your money like a miser and distrust every single person you see.

>I'm not naive, I'm honest, which DOES exist in the real world still.

The few that are honest far outweigh the ones that are not honest, and I really have no desire to take guesses. I assume skims off the top, which i'd say you all do, or if you don't regularly, you have at one point.

>That's what that list of shops I copy/pasted IS. It's a bunch of shops where anyone, not just Traders, can "walk into a gem shop, sell my pouches, get what they're worth, and be done."

>That you should care about the fate of those gems afterwards is irrelevant. (And it seems to be a very odd fate, not quite sure how the system works to determine what it spits out for the financing Trader).

>Seek out a Trader to sell a tied pouch at a time for you, seek out a financed shop to sell a tied pouch at a time by yourself, sell your gems one at a time from an open gem pouch, or let the janitor get the gems. Those are your 4 options.

I understand those are my 4 options, and I utilize one of them. Finding a Trader to sell my pouches for me, it gets sold I collect my money. They get a free exp "tip" I'm just saying if another option existed I among others would leverage it.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 04:15 PM CDT
>Just because you claim you don't (skim) doesn't mean you really don't.

Seriously?

>Experience gain is tip enough, you guys generally don't take the time to sit in combat and collect the gems yourselves, having a free mind locked skill via typing >sell pouch a couple times is a great tip.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Gem pouch selling without having contracts from hunters for regular service is nearly a waste of time. You can sit for HOURS in a gem shop, gwething every now and then, and people won't come in. They come in on THEIR time, and because of 500 count gem pouches and the redacted formula for gem pouch weight means they can have a LOT of gem pouches, so they only have to come in every week or two. You generally get novices coming in with crappy pouches that only tide you over for a few minutes. I need approximately 120 plat/hour coming in in gem pouch sales to keep up with my exp drain (varies depending on pouch value/count). The real exp over time is in contracts, and that's also where the money over time is, if you don't have some high level hunter feeding you gems/bundles. When I last checked contracts about 20 circles ago, I was getting about 7 plat/hour profit. Gem pouches are convenient, but not ideal for a person only interested in money or exp over time. Their convenience lies in that you can lock Trading and do OTHER things.

Empathy and healing is similar. Are you saying you don't tip Empaths for healing you, because the ability to lock their Empathy in a couple minutes compared to half an hour of Perc Health is tip alone?

>I assume skims off the top, which i'd say you all do, or if you don't regularly, you have at one point.

Surely I'm not the ONLY Trader who has never skimmed, ever. As Crimsondae has said, there are other ways of making money/exp as a Trader.

>I utilize one of them. Finding a Trader to sell my pouches for me, it gets sold I collect my money. They get a free exp "tip" I'm just saying if another option existed I among others would leverage it.

Sounds to me though that you're really wanting to go with option #2 though. I'll help you out though, tell me who your character is and I guarantee you'll never see this thieving and skimming Trader ever offer his dirty money-stealing services.

So what is it, you don't feel like going to the financiable gem shops and selling it yourself? Or you just like stiffing Traders and getting the extra coin?

>Trust me, if I could type >dodge 2-3 times and have my Evasion mind locked i'd be a happy person.

I do it all the time on my characters. I also lock 6 armors, brawling, and while I'm bored, throw in hiding, stalking, first aid, mech, appraisal, and scholarship.

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 05:00 PM CDT
Wow. I never knew there was so much disdain of Traders for doing something which makes things more convenient for folks and which gives them considerably more coin while doing so - selling tied gem pouches.

The solution seems simple to me, Traders: Note the folks who don't tip. Next time they walk in with pouches to sell, CHARGE them for the service up front. If they don't want to pay, you're not loosing anything anyway, and they can use one of the other options to sell their pouches at their own inconvenience not yers.

Also, if anyone ever made a snarky comment to me like "enjoy the experience tip", that would be the last pouch I ever sold for them.

Aluriaz
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 06:25 PM CDT
>Wow. I never knew there was so much disdain of Traders for doing something which makes things more convenient for folks and which gives them considerably more coin while doing so - selling tied gem pouches.

Part of the problem seems to be the armtwist mechanics; either you hike somewhere hours out of your way and sell it yourself, or you get a trader.

Part of the problem seems to be that players can't see exactly how much the trader is getting, so he's technically justified in saying 'You took your cut, thanks' without knowing or bothering to do any math.

>The solution seems simple to me, Traders: Note the folks who don't tip. Next time they walk in with pouches to sell, CHARGE them for the service up front. If they don't want to pay, you're not loosing anything anyway, and they can use one of the other options to sell their pouches at their own inconvenience not yers.

What you're demanding (note, you're clearly no longer asking for anything) is no longer a tip. You want a payment. I'm fine with that, but don't claim it to be a tip if you're going to enforce some vigilante justice and track 'non-tippers' and charge them. Just be upfront with people and say 'I'm taking a 1-10% cut, no tips please' instead of passive agressive attacks of 'he didn't give me a non-mandatory compensation amount even though cultural rules say he has to!'

I tip well for good service, but I also will shank the dude for crap service if it's bad enough. Never had 'bad' service from a trader, but I usually just gweth once for one and then go about my business, it's not a huge deal.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 07:04 PM CDT
Solution 1: Create a PHA equivalent for pouches.

Solution 2: Wait for lunar magic and put a hex on them if they don't tip you.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 07:31 PM CDT
Tipping arguments is why I advocate not selling for players - buy their goods and sell it for yourself. You can appraise anything someone SHOWs you, you know what your bonus percentage is from the shops, so tell them how much you'll give them before they even hand over their pouch. Nothing says you need to even sell it then, it's yours to do with as you will. BARTER can be used to make the exchange scam-free, when it works (Consider this another request to allow a Trader to start a barter by offering money, i.e. BARTER 1000 kronar to PERSON for ITEM-IN-THEIR-HAND).

Saying a Trader doesn't deserve any money for what they do because they get experience for it is like saying a hunter doesn't deserve any gems, skins, or coins for killing things, since they learned skills in the killing.

Traders: Don't be a broker, be a buyer.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 07:35 PM CDT
<<Solution 2: Wait for lunar magic and put a hex on them if they don't tip you.

Solution 3: fill your own pouches.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 09:13 PM CDT
>buy their goods and sell it for yourself. You can appraise anything someone SHOWs you, you know what your bonus percentage is from the shops, so tell them how much you'll give them before they even hand over their pouch. Nothing says you need to even sell it then, it's yours to do with as you will. BARTER can be used to make the exchange scam-free

You know, in all the years I've been a Trader main, it has never occurred to me to see if you can appraise a tied gem pouch by SHOW. I'll have to test if it's possible once I get done locking weapons.

I'm all for BARTER. Barter is more Trading exp. Though you have to be debtless for BARTER (not a problem for me, though I am amused at people who have debt and don't want to pay it).

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 09:20 PM CDT
>Solution 3: fill your own pouches.

I have done so many dobek start ruby pouches, clarified and unclarified, I was making estimates with less than 1% error as to the value based on the gem count. IMO, dobek pay better than celps if you script sort large rubies from the small/medium and clarify the large rubies. It's hard to beat an average of about 10.7 gold per gem.

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:02 PM CDT
>What you're demanding (note, you're clearly no longer asking for anything) is no longer a tip.

Nah, my suggestion only applies after being stiffed or insulted by someone already. I would think in most cases Traders would just appreciate a tip. And if they don't want it, they can always return it

Aluriaz
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:28 PM CDT
This thread has hung around a long time.

No trader hater here, but for IC reasons, my thief would never hand his gem pouch over to anyone he doesn't know. That would just be all kinds of wrong for him. He uses a trusted "associate" as his fence for selling animal skins and gems. I never ask a trader for a sell, and I never accept when they offer. So I avoid the only two situations where I feel a tip or payment might be in order.

On those rare occasions his associate isn't available, but it's time to sell a gem pouch, he uses the old fashion way and does it himself. Yes, this has sparked some nasty comments from traders at times if they're in the shop waiting for pouch people. "Hey, buddy, there's a trader right here!" "Stop! Let me sell it for you!" "What are you doing? Give me your gem pouch! I can sell it!" and so on. I've heard it all. When selling them myself I try to find an empty gem shop, but it doesn't always work out that way.

This thread is the first time I've heard about outposts. Interesting idea.

Kaxis

>You tap a large jar with a stained label depicting a skull and crossbones.

>In the large jar you see some toad oil, some moda tongue oil, some dolomar oil, some moruryn oil, some westanuryn oil and some viper sac oil.

>You exclaim, "Collect all six!"
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:31 PM CDT
>What you're demanding (note, you're clearly no longer asking for anything) is no longer a tip. You want a payment. I'm fine with that, but don't claim it to be a tip if you're going to enforce some vigilante justice and track 'non-tippers' and charge them. Just be upfront with people and say 'I'm taking a 1-10% cut, no tips please' instead of passive agressive attacks of 'he didn't give me a non-mandatory compensation amount even though cultural rules say he has to!'

Actually, this whole paragraph is interesting and funny. I mean, this is the Etiquette folder, and in this paragraph it's admitted that "...even tho cultural rules say he has to!" LOL

If someone doesn't want to tip someone else for helping them out by selling their pouches, that's fine. Go around consistently doing that, and all I'm saying is don't be surprised when you get worse and worse service, or when folks flat-out don't want to help you anymore.

So yeah... stiff or otherwise insult the Trader you deal with ("enjoy the experience! ha ha!"), and I would think you'd be lucky if when the next time you saw them they told you a charge up front. It's no longer tipping then, correct. You already had that chance to tip. Now it's payment. Or in my case, I'd just ignore ya, someone else can have the "privilege" of sellin yer pouches fer ya.

Aluriaz

PS. Note "you" or "ya" is not meant personally in response to who I quoted, but generally.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:48 PM CDT

>I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Gem pouch selling without having contracts from hunters for regular service is nearly a waste of time. You can sit for HOURS in a gem shop, gwething every now and then, and people won't come in. They come in on THEIR time, and because of 500 count gem pouches and the redacted formula for gem pouch weight means they can have a LOT of gem pouches, so they only have to come in every week or two. You generally get novices coming in with crappy pouches that only tide you over for a few minutes. I need approximately 120 plat/hour coming in in gem pouch sales to keep up with my exp drain (varies depending on pouch value/count). The real exp over time is in contracts, and that's also where the money over time is, if you don't have some high level hunter feeding you gems/bundles. When I last checked contracts about 20 circles ago, I was getting about 7 plat/hour profit. Gem pouches are convenient, but not ideal for a person only interested in money or exp over time. Their convenience lies in that you can lock Trading and do OTHER things.

Sitting in a Gem shop waiting for EXP is an inefficient use of your time, unless you want to be lazy or sit there working non combats that's not really a good argument. People, like myself generally gweth when they're in need of a Trader. If you're in the area its a quick few second stop that will take your Trading from Clear to Mind Locked. I'm not saying its your only means of income from skimming/exp from Trading. I'm saying for the amount of time spent you gain a HUGE increase in your experience and make pretty decent coin from taking whatever extra you guys take when you sell pouches.

>Empathy and healing is similar. Are you saying you don't tip Empaths for healing you, because the ability to lock their Empathy in a couple minutes compared to half an hour of Perc Health is tip alone?

Yes, that is correct.

>I do it all the time on my characters. I also lock 6 armors, brawling, and while I'm bored, throw in hiding, stalking, first aid, mech, appraisal, and scholarship.

That's nice, my training regime keeps 24-27 skills moving at once. That's completely different than Gem Pouch experience, its a massive boost taking you from Clear to high mind levels in seconds.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/08/2012 10:52 PM CDT
>>That's nice, my training regime keeps 24-27 skills moving at once. That's completely different than Gem Pouch experience, its a massive boost taking you from Clear to high mind levels in seconds.

My NMUs are at 32 to 34. I can't wait to get magic skillz!
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 12:39 AM CDT
>make pretty decent coin from taking whatever extra you guys take when you sell pouches.

At this point, I have to admit you're either delusional or being an intentional troll with the incessant "all Traders skim". I also find it telling you're not willing to say who your character is. If you're going to come out and insult an entire Guild and every player who plays that Guild, I think you should be responsible and sign your name.

>That's completely different than Gem Pouch experience, its a massive boost taking you from Clear to high mind levels in seconds.

There have been other skills that have done so. Difference being (aside from Empathy/healing/wounds analogy), that you can keep a skill at mindlock forever. A Trader eventually runs out of gem pouches. See the part where it takes me 120 plat/hour to keep up with my drain, and I'm only a fairly high level Trader.

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 01:05 AM CDT
Ok folks, here's the deal. We already settled this argument like 8 years ago and there's absolutely nothing left to discuss. For the conclusive results, please see:

http://www.mytwokronars.com/apu.html

/end thread

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 01:09 AM CDT
Yes, Apu just declared himself King of Traders. You under his decree as a trader, with his Gem Shop Bill of Rights! Don't think about breaking these commandments, or he will coin-stun you! That's how he rolls.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 01:19 AM CDT
>>You under his decree as a trader, with his Gem Shop Bill of Rights!

You know now that I think about it, I didn't specifically use the word "tip" in there anywhere. Maybe I need to add a couple lines there to make that part clear. It's sort of implied though in #3+#4 (Customer has the right to tip as much or as little as they want) and then looping back around to #1 (Trader hast he right to be dissatisfied at a particular customer's tips and skim their pouches if they feel like it)

Basically it's a free market, do whatever the hell you want (for both Customer and Trader). Just don't complain if other people don't want to do business with you, or if people think you're a greedy bastige and don't like you

Apu
_
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 01:53 AM CDT
Another post from me to answer the original question (btw I was just joking when I said '/end thread', it's interesting to discuss even if we've all been over this a billion times):

The standard system that most Traders I've talked to use is to offer the Customer whatever they would get from the appraiser without speculate finesse, and then rely on tips for the majority of the profit, plus getting some profit by later selling the pouches with speculate finesse on. This is the most tried and true recipe for making a decent profit, maximizing exp gain, and keeping Customers satisfied and coming back with more pouches. Obviously not all Traders go this route though, depending on how much emphasis they place on Trading EXP vs Profit vs time spent, etc

I personally use a variation of this system, where I don't even ask the appraiser to app the pouch - I just appraise it myself and offer the customer 1.50 times the base appraisal value (which is on average what the appraiser would offer me, but it removes RNG, and also allows me to buy pouches in the bank, in my shop, wherever)

The typical tip percentage that most Customers go with is 10%. The math is easy, it's a decent amount of profit for the Trader to show your appreciation, and it still leaves plenty of profit for the customer. Obviously not all Customers go this route as well. Some tip much more which of course is always noticed and greatly appreciated. Some tip much less, which will of course runs the risk of pissing off the Trader depending on how much they care about Trading Exp vs Profit (and which of course may or may not matter at all to the Customer)

Apu
_
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 05:24 AM CDT
>>I also find it telling you're not willing to say who your character is. If you're going to come out and insult an entire Guild and every player who plays that Guild, I think you should be responsible and sign your name.

Of course he's not going to name his character. If he named his character we would skim off the top of his pouches like he assumes we are already. He would much rather keep the entire amount for himself on the off chance there is no skimming, not tip, and then keep all the money for himself while pretending he doesn't recognize it as a service the Trader is providing.

More profitable not to name his character and more profitable to act like a troll.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 07:42 AM CDT
>At this point, I have to admit you're either delusional or being an intentional troll with the incessant "all Traders skim". I also find it telling you're not willing to say who your character is. If you're going to come out and insult an entire Guild and every player who plays that Guild, I think you should be responsible and sign your name.

For starters you would be taking an OOC discussion and carry it over in game. We are discussing this as players. Your comments show you can't differentiate the two. Our characters have never met. Good to know your quality of role play though.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 08:05 AM CDT
<Hmm I don't tip at all, Trader's tip from me is locking Trading in like 30 seconds with the pouches I bring. Plus it's not like Traders need the money, they have contracts for that. Time is being rewarded with OP experience gain. Plus I'm sure they also take a cut out automatically. I always assume this and therefor have their monetary tip by taking their percentage.>

I'm nitpicking for the sake of discussion but you call someone else out on bringing up OOC-ness when it appears your assumptions are based off OOC, you don't do an in game action(TIP for a service) because of EXP gain which to me seems OOC and you don't tip because you assume everyone is ripping you off, since this is a player discussion I assume it is the YOU the player feeling and assuming.

But to stray back on topic, it is just common courtesy to tip for a service you asked for and someone else is providing. If the trader approached you I'd say that can be interpreted as them looking to gain something from it. Though I would say if someones delusions and paranoia of being skimmed and scammed were acted out well in game it probably could be entertaining.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 08:14 AM CDT
I'm surprised to see so much drama on this. It seems like you can boil this down to two basic rules.

1 - The individual is selling their pouch to the trader for a mutually agreed upon price that they're both happy with.

2 - The individual tips if they choose to.

---

With #1, everyone is happy, or at least satisfied, with the deal.

With #2, it's extra and solely dependent on the generosity of the individual. If the trader is upset and wants more gold for their time then that should be rolled into #1. It's ridiculous for someone to undercharge on #1 and then get mad that they aren't making a profit on #2.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 08:46 AM CDT
I am in support of a Trader Union like PHA.

---
Inauri
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 09:21 AM CDT
>I'm surprised to see so much drama on this.

Actually this thread has been quite informative.

1. It got me to retest my current Spec Finesse time limits,
2. I found out something I never even thought about trying with appraising other people's pouches before even taking them and bartering them off them, that's going to be my new style of buying pouches, and
3. Other people have found out things they didn't know about (Trader financial outposts where non-Traders can sell, even though I swear they've even had GM announcements about them).

So even with a troll leading the thread, discussion for the sake of discussion has been good.

>you would be taking an OOC discussion and carry it over in game. We are discussing this as players. Your comments show you can't differentiate the two. Our characters have never met. Good to know your quality of role play though.

I want to know who you are so I can never meet you. I do not ever WISH to meet you, let alone RP with you. Your stubborn clinging to "all Traders skim" is petty and insulting, and impugns my honor both in game and out. The act of skimming is an in-game action, but the PLAYER is the one who decides to skim.

I want your name, OOC, so I can highlight your character, OOC, because you don't want to tip me for my services, because of a belief that "mind locking Trading in seconds", an OOC mechanic, is reward enough. Well it's not enough. The act of generating immense extra profit through my Trader's bonus is worthy of getting a cut of the extra proceeds. I refuse to take it by lying and cheating, which makes me even more upset when people give no or insultingly small compensation for it, hence my highlights of people not to interact with again. I assure you, you would only get to do it once to me.

Naniaki

Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 09:38 AM CDT
>At this point, I have to admit you're either delusional or being an intentional troll with the incessant "all Traders skim".

He's just trolling. Everyone knows that the majority of Traders don't skim anything. Don't feed the trolls :)

>>I am in support of a Trader Union like PHA.

It's really quite unnecessary for Traders (although I do support the Empath version, I think it is necessary for them). For any Trader who wants to ensure that they will be paid for their services, it is quite easy to just tell the Customer 'I will pay you X% over the base appraisal value of the pouch' where they choose X depending on whatever amount of profit they are trying to receive. Traders are only at the mercy of relying on tips from Customers if they choose to be (although most do choose to be, since the Trading experience is often so much more valuable than the kronars)

Apu
_
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 09:38 AM CDT
My Outcast Ranger always tips, and usually a significant amount. It is my RP for him to do so because as a member of a quasi-hated organization/government he would feel the need to overcompensate to those who perform duties for him. To give them a feeling that what they did was a good deal despite any prejudice other members of their guild or even their own friends might have. I do this to even greater extents when I run him down to Crossings and sell my loots.

My pretend-Trader Thief always tips, though admittedly not nearly as much as Alexii would/does. I RP this as him wanting to use another Traders "good standing" to make more profit for himself. Instead of straight coin tips, I normally tip with either large-format gems or with an item from the stockpile of trader jewelry that I have for impersonation.

In the end, if you don't RP as a money-grubbing penny-pinching tightwad... there is little reason NOT to tip. That said, if you do RP as being greedy/un-trusting than I can totally understand not giving a tip. However, expect that some repercussions to that RP will come as well and you may be making things harder for yourself.

* SPLAT! * You destroy the annoying thing!
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 10:13 AM CDT
<<I am in support of a Trader Union like PHA.>>

hey, ya can always call it the Teamsters. :-)

<<as I firmly believe that upstanding citizens have the inalienable right to strike down musicians whenever possible.>>
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 10:38 AM CDT
>I'm nitpicking for the sake of discussion but you call someone else out on bringing up OOC-ness when it appears your assumptions are based off OOC, you don't do an in game action(TIP for a service) because of EXP gain which to me seems OOC and you don't tip because you assume everyone is ripping you off, since this is a player discussion I assume it is the YOU the player feeling and assuming.

My character doesn't trust anyone and feels anytime anyone does want to do something there is some personal gain attached to it. Traders and Empaths need to "practice" their skills in order to hone them, their Guild Leaders require this to progress through the ranks. That's not really OOC. That's no more OOC than saying going Hunting to be better with a blade is OOC. My character provides gem pouches which help teach the Trader how to haggle better and make more money, there's the tip.

Asking someone for their character's name on an OOC message board because they don't like what the Player says is completely different.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 11:43 AM CDT
This thread is why I only sell my pouches with traders I'm friends with. It solves everything.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 12:08 PM CDT
>This thread is why I only sell my pouches with traders I'm friends with. It solves everything.

But I don't have any friends!

Sniffle sniffle.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 01:08 PM CDT

If Pendus has friends, anyone can make at least one.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: On Tipping Traders 04/09/2012 04:30 PM CDT
And Katt's on the "To poach" list.