Ranks gained by scraping skins versus the morgawr doll skinning trainer 06/11/2020 10:07 AM CDT
Since I last checked you train the skinning skill more slowly and gain less overall experience by scraping an actual skin in order to prepare it for tanning than you do by playing with a toy doll that is bought in a shop. This breaks RP for me. I understand that it would be a headache to improve this, but I think the pain is worth it to make the RP experience better with pelt scraping. We need to move to a system where scraping skins to prepare for tanning teaches equivalent ranks that the skinning of the creature itself trains. In other words, scraping a gryphon pelt trains to higher ranks than a field goblin skin, with scraping different pelts training to a skill level that matches max ranks to skinning after a full arrange. For the sake of RP, I'm really hoping that we can improve this. Thanks.
Re: Ranks gained by scraping skins versus the morgawr doll skinning trainer 06/11/2020 04:06 PM CDT
I get the complaint about microtrans items changing the game in ways that we might not like. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you think they're going to remove that item that people have already paid for, or make it worse than hide scraping.

I mean, honestly, that shouldn't be the thing that breaks your RP immersion, IMO. We already have characters becoming masters of the wilds by collecting piles of rocks and kicking them, characters hunting all day and all night for days at a time, due to our 4x time in the game, or the fact that when I dealt with the 50 bundles I had in my vault the other day and finally got them sold, it represented 10,000 dead animals that my character had killed. That's an incredible number, for a tiny fraction of my character's training.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that my character, in my quest for 200th circle, has killed MILLIONS of animals. Heck, each 200th circle character probably represents a slaughter of animals at roughly the same scale as the slaughter of the American Bison (around 30 million). PERSONALLY. We're walking agents of genocide, and nobody bats an eye at that, nor at the fact that there are SOMEHOW STILL GRYPHONS ALIVE.

I can look past the dolls.

- Saragos
Re: Ranks gained by scraping skins versus the morgawr doll skinning trainer 06/12/2020 04:38 AM CDT
I'm not saying that the microtrans dolls shouldn't teach skinning. I'm saying that scraping skins should teach it better.
Re: Ranks gained by scraping skins versus the morgawr doll skinning trainer 06/12/2020 05:09 AM CDT

And just to clarify, that can be done by leaving the microtrans dolls alone and increasing the skill gained by scraping, which is what I had said in my original post. As far as it breaking immersion for me, I don't buy the argument that because other aspects of the game are immersion-breaking, we shouldn't strive to achieve it in this particular aspect of the game. If we can achieve it in this area, then I consider it a step in the right direction. That would certainly make a better goal for improving the game than abandoning any notion of trying to achieve an immersive roleplaying experience just because we haven't achieved it in totality everywhere else.