The Stocks 11/28/2018 12:00 PM CST
I feel like characters spend an unreasonable amount of time in the stocks. It's gotten to the point where I always hope my fine is high enough that I don't end up there. Is there any way the amount of time can be shortened? You can't do anything when you're in the stocks, so I feel like the current system just has people step away from the keyboard until they get out.

You can try to plead for release, which works ok for high level characters.

If adjusting the time is a non-starter, what about a new bribe guard ability? I have a feeling the town guards aren't paid very well and would be quite receptive to a little coin.
Re: The Stocks 11/28/2018 03:08 PM CST
There's a break point with characters where I'm trying to figure out if pleading innocent and eating a bigger fine is the right thing to do in case pleading guilty gets me the stocks. Just another example of poor mechanical implementation driving player actions in a way that isn't logical.
Re: The Stocks 11/29/2018 12:27 AM CST
I definitely always plead innocent when I know the stocks are a possibility because:
1. It might work, no fine at all.
2. It might drive up the fine beyond stock territory.

Even on very new characters though, the time cost of the stocks is often worse than the fine. It's just a terrible experience to be stuck there for 5 minutes, IMO.
Re: The Stocks 11/29/2018 10:37 PM CST
What I miss about the stocks in buying tomatoes & hucking them at folks. Yup, my characters back then & even now have spent time in the stocks. I never considered throwing tomatoes at stock locked folks ground for PvP but I guess snowflakes have abused that aspect. Either to start PvP with the person in the stocks or the person in the stock being "offended" by it.

Yeah, guess folks forget that in RL back in the days that stock locked folks could have worse than just tomatoes thrown at them.

And thank you for the TIL, didnt realize there was a relation between fines or stock time, I always have my characters plead innocent, sometimes it works, majority of the time they just get fined or tossed. I've never had bribe work even on my thieves. The 5 o so minutes? I just use it as an excuse to go use the restroom, get something to eat or drink, stand out & move away from my screen, eye rest, etc.
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 12:15 AM CST
>The 5 o so minutes? I just use it as an excuse to go use the restroom, get something to eat or drink, stand out & move away from my screen, eye rest, etc.

Right, this is my point. Why do we have game mechanics that encourage us to AFK? Bad mechanics are bad. It's not immersive, it's just bad.
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 01:18 AM CST
Uhh our definitions of AFK is vastly different then. I treat being in the stock no different then idling in an inn room, or the bank or TGSE. Its not gaining me any skills, its draining which is allowed per policy.

So, sorry, guess we'll disagree on this point then. I've had both thieves & non thieves get slammed into the stocks. Plead innocent has worked less than half the time for me, & thats fine. I know its a dice roll no matter what.
In maybe 20 or so times I've never had bribe guard work, again another dice roll.

Dont know what to say then (shrug) Sorry
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 08:30 AM CST
>Uhh our definitions of AFK is vastly different then. I treat being in the stock no different then idling in an inn room, or the bank or TGSE. Its not gaining me any skills, its draining which is allowed per policy.

I'm not saying it's against policy, I'm saying that it isn't fun or even interesting after the tenth time.
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 12:29 PM CST
Uh huh, it may not be fun or interesting for you, but I find it a break. Sorry, I'm sick of folks thinking they can put words in my mouth or that they speak for all players. Not saying you are doing that but it seems quite a few folks on the past week or so are trying.

"Right, this is my point. Why do we have game mechanics that encourage us to AFK? Bad mechanics are bad. It's not immersive, it's just bad."

Thats your other post, you might consider it "bad design", I dont. Its designed so folks who may not be able to afford gold or higher fines a way to not be in debt. You have to remember when the game was first designed folks have more than 10 plats were considered rich. Character levels hadnt even topped 20, which I think was the first stopping point until Haven was "discovered" then we stopped at 99 for a very long time. Shard was discovered, we still sat at 99, I think Qi well Ratha was discovered before the 99 cap was broken, if not they were fairly close to the same time.

I'll go back to what I posted before in the TIL, thank you for the enlightment about plead innocent/guilty & bribe. I'm out of this discussion. (shrug) We'll agree to disagree.
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 02:32 PM CST
>>Right, this is my point. Why do we have game mechanics that encourage us to AFK? Bad mechanics are bad. It's not immersive, it's just bad.

Roundtimes and long lockouts where you can't do anything in general are terrible game design if you're trying for player engagement.

I'm not sure why this needs to be said over and over again, but we keep getting systems like crafting so it apparently needs to be said over and over again.
Re: The Stocks ::NUDGE:: 11/30/2018 04:09 PM CST
We're off topic, let's please discuss the stocks system

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: The Stocks 11/30/2018 08:48 PM CST
You bring up a good point about new characters. I was pretty annoyed because my 150th character was arrested for teaching thievery outside the gates (forgot it was illegal) and ended up in the stocks. Maybe the stocks should be optional or not offered to high level characters?

But even with new players, the time in the stocks is just way too long. 1 minute would be fine. 5 minutes means you'd have to be insane to still be watching the screen.