Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 08:35 PM CDT
Nothing like giving a novice a plat to go armor shopping and having someone take it all.

No interaction, no perception learning, no nothing. Just gone by the time he went to purchase, after standing in the shop for a while.

Hope you're proud of yourself, whoever it was. Totally made the game a better place for everyone with your non-interaction.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 08:44 PM CDT
You play a thief and you gripe about someone stealing... Welcome to the thieves guild? They steal.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 08:47 PM CDT
>You play a thief and you gripe about someone stealing

I don't steal from players, because I view it as game-sanctioned griefing. Never have. Taking resources from other players isn't a thing I view as a positive in an online game.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 08:53 PM CDT
As a rule I don't either, but I mean... It's a part of the game. Your personal feelings aside. I hate stealing, I haven't circled in like a year and some change or something. I am not going to change it. I just don't take part in a stupid system.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:03 PM CDT
1. Losing money, especially a plat, isn't the end of the world.
2. A savvy roleplayer, even/especially a newbie, can turn this experience into not only an enjoyable one with the right attitude, but even more money.
3. The definition of griefing is not, contrary to popular opinion, "anything someone can do that can potentially negatively affect another person."

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:11 PM CDT
I never claimed it was. It was simple irritation at the pettiness.

It's difficult to roleplay with something who never stops to, you know, interact. I was standing there and didn't see anything either.

I define theft as griefing because it exists solely to irritate other players. You're free to define it how you wish, and that has no impact on my view of it, thanks.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:24 PM CDT
Personally, and you're free to disagree, but stealing something and not being noticed is pretty much right on par for roleplaying as a Thief. Expecting them to break that and reveal themselves just for their victim to interact with is kinda silly.

Complaining about a thief stealing something and not being caught is on the same level as complaining about a fireman using water to extinguish a fire.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:34 PM CDT
>Complaining about a thief stealing something and not being caught is on the same level as complaining about a fireman using water to extinguish a fire.

Not really. A fireman extinguishing a fire is doing the community a global value of good (preventing the damage and destruction of goods).

A thief stealing in a role playing game and not stopping to interact is simply being obnoxious.

If it had been a level 50 character, sure, whatever. But this was literally a level 0 novice wearing nothing but a divine charm and a smile standing in the armor shop. The thief could have taunted the character, or done something. As is, he added nothing to enrich the game.

Sure, the noob can now roleplay all 'oh noes thieves' or whatever, but it's roughly akin to just walking up and killing a noob because they're open and you can. It's not challenging, it's not interesting, it's just boring and petty.

What do I expect to happen? Nothing. I just wanted to complain about how stupid player stealing is.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:46 PM CDT
To be clear, it is on the same level. You're complaining the manner in which someone does the job, not the job being done.

Stealing something and then revealing yourself to taunt the victim is a personal choice, not something that should ever be forced. If I want to rub it in your face that you're an easy mark, fine. But if I don't want anyone to ever know it was me in the first place, that should be fine too.

Speaking for myself, if I ever see any novice walking around with a platinum (or more) then I suspect they have a backer or they're an alt. Which, in my mind, makes them completely fair game to be stolen from.

>As is, he added nothing to enrich the game.

Not everyone is playing to make the game more rich or interactive. Some folks are simply playing their role as best they can.

>It's not challenging, it's not interesting, it's just boring and petty.

It's quick money from an easy mark. Pretty much exactly what a thief would do in the real world.

>
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 09:47 PM CDT
Part of the issue I'm having is that your response to the situation is going to dramatically impact how the newbie perceives both this and future interactions along a similar vein. You are essentially setting the stage for them here and have a great deal of power in terms of how you influence their attitude about certain things in the game. Responding to the situation like they have been griefed (which has extremely negative OOC connotations) and personally aggrieved by another player is, well, really bad. I think in situations like this you kind of should set aside your personal distaste for the existence of player stealing and try to turn this into a positive experience for the new player and encourage them to have a "fail forward" attitude about the thing. In the long run that will really help them out IMO.

Thayet
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 10:07 PM CDT
Handing someone 1 platinum is asking them to get robbed. Next time hand him 100 silver instead of 1 platinum.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 10:54 PM CDT
Player stealing is awesome and some of the most fun I have in this guild.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/27/2015 11:26 PM CDT
>>Player stealing is awesome and some of the most fun I have in this guild.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 09:32 AM CDT

The thing that gets me about this complaint is the claim that it's in any way RP-related.

Stealing happens in the real world, and has been a part of DR basically forever. It is in no way OOC.

The Thief successfully RPed a Thief with enough skill to take that plat right from under your nose.

You, hopefully, RPed an appropriate reaction to the situation, and hopefully set a good example for the novice on how to handle negative consequences. Because they will be stolen from, and they will die while hunting, and they will get caught in invasions, at some point during their time here. Understanding how to accept that bad things might happen to one's character and knowing how to handle them in an OOCly mature fashion is absolutely key to enjoying this game in the long term.

I do understand that targeting novices isn't exactly 'honorable' and that someone did take a plat from you, but my little cleric made a couple plats in eels, they aren't exactly hard to come by...

Anyway, this isn't something to be upset over! It's an opportunity for RP, as most things in the game are. Use it :)
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 09:43 AM CDT

can't you still guard person to prevent the theft? years ago there were groups of thieves that worked the ferry locations kind of like thugs. they ROLE PLAYED THUGS, they died at times. they did frustrate some people but as a player i respected their efforts to keep conflicts in character not personal. Some of the thieves working an area had their own codes of ethics. One guy would not steal from someone who befriended his character or helped him in any way but anyone else was fair game. Just because a person chooses to steal from players does not make him a griefer. Some of my characters best friends started the friendships over being stolen from and role playing it out.

Just a feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 10:50 AM CDT
In Freudian psychoanalysis (stick with me for a moment) there's this idea of "secondary trauma." In a nutshell, the idea is that nothing is inherently traumatic, it's the response of others to a situation ("Oh God ARE YOU ALRIGHT OH THAT'S HORRIBLE!") that flags an event as traumatic and retroactively makes something painful.

Just something that comes to mind when we talk about how we model to newbies.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 11:43 AM CDT

Isn't there newbie protection for coins anyways? Assuming he was a true newbie? And not a lowbie or something.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 11:49 AM CDT
Protection for coins gets negated when you have too much money on you. Pretty sure the limit is like five gold or so, but I've never really done any rigorous testing to see if that's the cutoff or not.

Pretty sure this is done so that people can't just throw a bunch of money on a new char without any danger of it going missing.

>
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 12:00 PM CDT
Not sure why stealing from a newbie can't be good RP and bad form at the same time.

If Armifer decided to drop a dozen xala'shar on my character while in a long forging RT it would be completely fine RP-wise but I'd also find it a bit jerkish for him to do.

I think this goes back to deciding how much you value mutual/collective enjoyment of an RP situation when deciding to do what your character does. Some people care if others are having fun, others don't. I know I value it a lot so I RP in a manner that hopefully facilitates collective enjoyment than not, but different strokes for different folks.

Of course, the tricky thing is that mutual enjoyment goes both ways. Going to my xala'shar example, it would also be poor form if I got annoyed anytime Armifer sent xala'shar, ever, because I'd be pushing for the RP to only do what I wanted it to do.

Getting that middle ground where everyone has fun and enjoys the RP can be a hard needle to thread, and IMO my cynical view is that most people on both sides don't want to compromise.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 01:51 PM CDT

Hey badgopher
I agree with you someone stealing from a newbie is wrong. Don't listen to these yahoos who tell you it is good experience for role-playing.
This is the response I see whenever someone complains about being stole from or killed, it's like they ignore the whole post and immediately "you should role-play with the person". (sorry been reading these post for a while now and find it irritating). Like the fact that you said "whoever you are" implies there was no chance to "RP". I also noticed sitting around outside the Empath guild those that do typically decided to stick around to "taunt" are just trying to get you to throw the first punch so they can wipe the floor with you.

Good on you for helping the newb get armor. Keep up the good work. I wish those who will say they same old thing about role-playing would shut it til they actually have clue.

Not everyone wants to fight other PCs. Yes I want to role-play but I find those that tend to steal and kill other are not role-playing they are mechanic players.
Yes I have a thief, I rarely steal from other players. I only use it when I see someone is picking on others. (shoplifting teaches WAY better) I think I can count on one hand how many times this has happened. Lets face it stealing from each other teaches next to nothing; always has.

my two coppers
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 02:27 PM CDT
>good experience for role-playing

Anything that happens to your character within a roleplaying game is an opportunity to have a roleplaying experience. Granted, you may not always have one with the person who afflicted you, but you could still have one all on your own.

>"you should role-play with the person"

Well, truthfully, you should roleplay with everyone all the time. It is a roleplaying game after all, right?

>I wish those who will say they same old thing about role-playing would shut it til they actually have clue.

Having a different opinion does not mean one does not "have a clue" just means they see things differently. Not really anything wrong with that at all.

>Yes I want to role-play but I find those that tend to steal and kill other are not role-playing they are mechanic players.

This is a rather obtuse view to have on things. If the character you play is a sneaky thief who never wants to be caught, then stealing something and getting away with it (regardless if it's from a player or NPC or store) is pretty much right in your line of acceptable roleplay. Likewise, if your character is a brutish thug who likes to flex on anyone you deem to be weak, well that's also roleplay. I understand it can be hard sometimes to ignore mechanics, because they are there and there is policy that applies to them, but you should really do your very best to act and react to things as your character would. Not how you, the player of a game, would.

>Yes I have a thief, I rarely steal from other players. I only use it when I see someone is picking on others. (shoplifting teaches WAY better) I think I can count on one hand how many times this has happened.

By all means, if you want to do the whole Robin Hood or "honorable thief" thing then it's within your right to roleplay that role. Just like folks who roleplay a different role are perfectly within their rights to do that. The beauty of multi-player roleplaying games is that there are many people who are all playing different roles. If we all did the same thing it would be incredibly boring.

>Lets face it stealing from each other teaches next to nothing; always has.

It's not all about what will teach well. Some people want to make some quick and easy coin, so a novice walking around with more money than a novice should have is a prime target for easy money. Some people are just mean for the sake of being mean. Some people might have a grudge against one or more parties involved in the situation. Who knows? But, saying that they shouldn't do it because they won't advance skills is a prime example of not detaching you the player from the character you are playing.

>
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 02:53 PM CDT
>>Anything that happens to your character within a roleplaying game is an opportunity to have a roleplaying experience.

Doesn't automatically make it a fun/enjoyable one, though.

As I said, remove the player aspect. Make it a GM instead. GMs pull punches all the time to make RP enjoyable for the people in the game. At the same time, players have to contribute and compromise to rhe equation as well. They shouldn't complain and give up if something doesn't go 100% their way during an event.

IMO, some of the "raw and real" RP crowd doesn't enjoy when GMs get equally real, either, as any thread involving Therengia-based RP tends to show.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 03:02 PM CDT
>>Anything that happens to your character within a roleplaying game is an opportunity to have a roleplaying experience.

>Doesn't automatically make it a fun/enjoyable one, though.

That's pretty true and I can totally agree with that statement.

>They shouldn't complain and give up if something doesn't go 100% their way during an event.

Yeah, sadly a lot of folks do this. While it's a valid option, to leave or log out if something isn't enjoyable, it's not always the best option because it effectively kills that line of roleplay as far as that character is concerned.

>any thread involving Therengia-based RP tends to show

Yeah, this pretty much bugs the heck out of me. At one point in time, Therengia was a vertible hotbed for fun roleplaying opportunities. Though these days it's become "the place to hate" for various reasons. I've always stood by the fact that even if folks hate it, it's still viable because each of the provinces need to have a different feel to them in order to avoid "cookie cutter" settings.

And, to bring this full circle back to thieves, I think members of guilds also need to have different camps as far as thinking and actions go. This also prevents "cookie cutter" type characters and leads to interesting situations when they interact.

>
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 03:11 PM CDT
>> As I said, remove the player aspect. Make it a GM instead. GMs pull punches all the time to make RP enjoyable for the people in the game. At the same time, players have to contribute and compromise to rhe equation as well. They shouldn't complain and give up if something doesn't go 100% their way during an event.

Yes, we pull punches with one another all the time. But the situation in the OP, namely losing a single plat to an opportunistic Thief, is not an unreasonable or insurmountable scenario.

>> IMO, some of the "raw and real" RP crowd doesn't enjoy when GMs get equally real, either, as any thread involving Therengia-based RP tends to show.

The reasons people critique the way certain Therengian players conduct themselves really doesn't have anything to do with what this thread is talking about, tbh. This probably isn't the right folder to discuss why that is though.

Thayet
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 03:15 PM CDT
The world needs more cookie cutter types. Really, if you want to be unique be the offspring of two loving parents from the same species that are still living and have a completely normal childhood before arriving at Crossing with the money you saved up and enough spunk to get a good education.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 03:15 PM CDT

I have been away for several years and came back and noticed the difference in the RP in therengia and the events around it. It used to be totally amazing and some of the best fun was player started events. lots of different personalities in play and it was a blast. I was kind of hoping it is just because i am basically new to returning to the game i don't see it yet.

The feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 03:17 PM CDT
You are correct in much of your response. Much to do with my lack of supporting arguments going to leave it at that.
I support the initial posters right to complain
I'm going to concede not wanting to draw the ire of certain individuals because of what is said here.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 04:05 PM CDT
>>The world needs more cookie cutter types. Really, if you want to be unique be the offspring of two loving parents from the same species that are still living and have a completely normal childhood before arriving at Crossing with the money you saved up and enough spunk to get a good education.

I actually found "writing letters home to the family" as a great method of summarizing character development. It was really fun to do before I got lazy.

Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 05:46 PM CDT
>Really, if you want to be unique be the offspring of two loving parents from the same species that are still living and have a completely normal childhood before arriving at Crossing with the money you saved up and enough spunk to get a good education.

I can agree with that.

>
Re: Why I love stealing 08/28/2015 06:33 PM CDT
>The world needs more cookie cutter types. Really, if you want to be unique be the offspring of two loving parents from the same species that are still living and have a completely normal childhood before arriving at Crossing with the money you saved up and enough spunk to get a good education.

Heh...got that one covered, almost. Dad was a trader that got lost on his route and the money to send me to Crossing was gathered by my Mom's clan. Outside of that, it was a normal childhood in a loving family and clan. :D
Re: Why I love stealing 08/30/2015 01:59 PM CDT

<<The world needs more cookie cutter types.>>

Funny you should mention that...

<<The rest of the thread>>

Woah, woah, woah. Why the huge debate over right and wrong? According to the OP it was a single plat. That's literally a hunting trip or two in eels, or two thirds of a goblin jackpot box. The 'conflict' initiated by the thief is minor; it sits far, far closer to 'he said a rude thing to me' than 'he's a dirty griefer out to ruin my fun' on the spectrum of 'bad things'.

I do not particularly want to encourage this sort of handling of minor negative IC happenings. If the situation was different, then sure, the situation would be different! Things get nine kinds of sticky when killing, camping, graverobbing, and the like are involved.

This is not that.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/30/2015 11:13 PM CDT
>>Woah, woah, woah. Why the huge debate over right and wrong? According to the OP it was a single plat.

While I land firmly on the side of "I love player stealing" I will say that the amount doesn't matter at all. Many many years ago someone scammed me out of a set of the massive plate armor from Dirge. At the time it was literally everything I had invested into a Paladin (my first DR character) and it was devestating. I stopped playing for a few months, and when I picked back up again I decided it was time to try to find the thieves guild.

While I look back on the experience favorably now because of the long term outcome, I raged over it with much teen age angst at the time.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/30/2015 11:38 PM CDT

Sure it matters. I doubt they'd be making a fuss if a single copper had gone missing instead. Now as you illustrated, a plat CAN feel like a lot, I know it felt like an absolute fortune waaaay back when I first began playing. But times have changed, and on top of that, if they've got the coin lying around to give a novice a plat then I certainly hope they would have enough stashed away to recover from that loss! At the end of the day, the thief didn't get much, and claiming that it's bad/not roleplay, griefing, or precludes roleplay from the victim(s) in some way is naïve at best and not something I'd want to encourage, especially in someone interacting with new players!

That's my take on it, anyway. Armifer's earlier post is pretty much the key point here! :)
Re: Why I love stealing 08/31/2015 07:22 AM CDT
>At the end of the day, the thief didn't get much, and claiming that it's bad/not roleplay, griefing, or precludes roleplay from the victim(s) in some way is naïve at best

Since I made none of those claims, thanks for the insults.
Re: Why I love stealing *** NUDGE *** 08/31/2015 08:34 AM CDT
This is a complaints folder, not a conflicts folder. Off topic posts will be removed.

Aneka
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aneka@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Why I love stealing 08/31/2015 09:24 PM CDT
>Since I made none of those claims, thanks for the insults.

I don't mean to offend, but your words, lest you've forgotten:

>Totally made the game a better place for everyone with your non-interaction.

>I don't steal from players, because I view it as game-sanctioned griefing

>Taking resources from other players isn't a thing I view as a positive in an online game.

>It's difficult to roleplay with something who never stops to, you know, interact. I was standing there and didn't see anything either.

>I define theft as griefing because it exists solely to irritate other players. You're free to define it how you wish, and that has no impact on my view of it, thanks.

>A thief stealing in a role playing game and not stopping to interact is simply being obnoxious.
Re: Why I love stealing ::NUDGE:: 09/01/2015 12:37 AM CDT

OK guys, let's take the bickering else where. Simply repeating each other's posts isn't really discussing the subject.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Why I love stealing 09/01/2015 07:57 PM CDT
How do we know the novice wasn't just running a con? Isn't it possible the real thief is the guy saying he got stolen from?
Re: Why I love stealing ::THREAD OVER:: 09/01/2015 08:54 PM CDT

This one is over.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.